Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited.

I have brought this topic up in the past here at KC.

I am sensing a pattern with these converters to mp3.

I stick with one for a number of months.. then suddenly I get a large proportion of error messages.

The error messages are for more than one reason... copyright being one. But the fact that I have hardly seen any error messages, and then after many months start seeing a much greater number of them... gives me cause to alter my converter. And this is what I periodically do.

The latest one I have used. asked for donations, which I ignored. So after many error messages about a particular download, I tried a $10 donation ( the amount the app had as default ).

After the "donation", I am still receiving an unprecedented number of error messages.

Feel free to comment on this, but also to perhaps mention an app for OS that is hassle free and may even charge a small fee.

Edit: or even for my iPad Pro. Actually an app for the iPad would even be more convenient.

I do music for a living, and need to download for that purpose.

It would not be the first time I had downloaded a youtube to mp3, that I had actually purchased in the past. But under pressure of gig preparation, I need the song, so to speak, now. I do prefer to download versus repeatedly playing the youtube version.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Youtube's terms AFAIK forbid the downloading of videos. So these websites are violating the terms, and therefore Youtube is actively fighting their operation with technical countermeasures.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I'm going to get really radical here. Almost verging on religion and/or politics, and may get banned as a result. My suggestion, as crazy as it may seem, is to........wait for it.......BUY the music. I know it just seems insane. Why compensate the artist for their original work? Just makes no sense at all, right? Give it a try. Most of these songs are less than a fucking buck each.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I tend to avoid these types of discussions, so this may well have been asked and answered in previous threads, but: for those who object to any form of this practice, what do you feel is the actionable ethical difference (if any) between A) pulling up a YouTube video of a song, using YouTube's suboptimal interface to learn the song, and playing that song on a gig; and B) downloading that same video from YouTube, loading into a more conducive interface (i.e. Transcribe, Capo, ASD) that allows you to learn the song in less time, deleting the file from your device, and then playing the song on a gig? Because that is virtually the only reason I ever download videos. And as an afterthought, do you feel it makes a difference if the song in question isn't readily available for purchase in downloadable form? (When it is, I'm willing to pay the buck twenty-five for it, especially if playing it on gigs is gonna earn me money back over time but that's not always the case. And companies like Apple making their files incompatible with third-party apps certainly isn't helping to incentivize purchases in such instances.)

+1

This thread should be re-titled. Which socially acceptable music theft tool do you use?

A Thank you, to the 2 offerings of a converters ... I will use them FOR SURE :like:

Now, on to these BS remarks just above in the quote.

I like you J Dan.. I do.. however... I reject sharply any suggestion of theft.

I always confused people because I see things from multiple and seemingly inconsistent and in their little minds, contradictory even hypocritical points of view. And I do not give a damn who has a problem with that. In my view, those types, are small minded. Akin to Lilliputians . Emerson used ( Emerson was a man with far more wisdom and intellect than anyone here ) the phrase.. a foolish consistency and the hobgoblin of ( indeed ) little minds. I fully subscribe to that phrase.

I am a damned musician ... I was AGAINSt recording industry, I was against synths because I foresaw what these unstoppable inventions would do to people like me who are devoted to music ( over lifetimes I might add, to the uninformed ) .

There was talk of a ban on recordings as I recall it. As much as I love recordings.. given the damned choice, I would eschew ( give up ) the recordings, because it would mean music would be greatly more appreciated and synths with snippets of real sounds ( Mellotrons , romplers ) would not in effect, put musicians like me ( dedicated .. to be distinguished from weekend warrior types ) out of work.

Eve n as a kid, I worked constantly... no longer so easy.

So, I see things from more points of view, than most in my experience here.

Now I have embraced this F ing technology. and will damn sure use it like a mofo.

Thanks you two, for suggesting converters.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

+1

This thread should be re-titled. Which socially acceptable music theft tool do you use?

Yeah yeah yeah ( not the lyric from she loves you yeah yeah.. the other kind ) sure sure

right on.. And Mr Martin, pray tell, what is it you do for a career in music?

Fine, you work for Casio. terrif... Well pal, I pursue a different kind of job. DO not preach to me, your moral maxims.

BTW, your Casio pianos are nice... just don't tread on this dude.

Of course, to buy the song, I have to make an account. And then Apple or Google or maybe MusicPlayer.com sells my information to the Russians to interfere with US elections.

Which corrupt practice should I engage in?

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I'm going to get really radical here. Almost verging on religion and/or politics, and may get banned as a result. My suggestion, as crazy as it may seem, is to........wait for it.......BUY the music. I know it just seems insane. Why compensate the artist for their original work? Just makes no sense at all, right? Give it a try. Most of these songs are less than a fucking buck each.

Yea, I've read this position from people before and all I have to say is.... Let he without sin cast the first stone.

I'm sure you've NEVER downloaded anything in your life right?

I fully support paying for music.

On the other side of the coin, iTunes managed to lose every track and playlist I had bought or ripped from cd's (which I also paid for), nearly 8,000 songs altogether.

I was going to work out how much this has cost me, but I would only end up in tears.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Of course, to buy the song, I have to make an account. And then Apple or Google or maybe MusicPlayer.com sells my information to the Russians to interfere with US elections.

Which corrupt practice should I engage in?

Love love the irony.

I fully support paying for music.

On the other side of the coin, iTunes managed to lose every track and playlist I had bought or ripped from cd's (which I also paid for), nearly 8,000 songs altogether.

I was going to work out how much this has cost me, but I would only end up in tears.

There there now, don't cry.. get angry.

One man is given by nation he serves the Medal of Honor, another is put to death... they both killed others. Hmmmm Same idea with my case. Most stiffs listen to music for their personal enjoyment . I use music for my professional purposes mainly . I will always avoid paying for music.

I have bought music though.. and last year I sent yamaha $400 for 67 MIDI songs.

I play the game in a way that works for me. No apologies.

It used to be easy to examine the HTML code and grab the URL of the video but YT is continually hiding it under shells, and changing the shells.

If youre on a Mac, you could try Rogue Amoebas Audio Hijack. Well known developer.

That's what I use too. It captures the audio from the internal audio chain of the Mac, which YT can't intervene.

And I do buy the CD - WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE. Many releases are no longer available anywhere and that is where YT is valuable. And I refuse to buy from online outlets like iTunes where they can zap your tracks without notice.

This is a slippery slope of logic but I'll play for a minute. I download tunes for two reasons: one, I need to learn it for a gig. Let me get this right: if I methodically rewind and play the youtube video over & over again to learn the song I'm fine, but if I download it and use a slow-downer or just rewind & play over & over in Quicktime player I'm a thief? Most of those songs I don't even like and would never listen to, and I trash the file immediately.

Two, some songs are from older recordings, unavailable anywhere. Or maybe the video is a phone recording of a live gig of a cover band just think, if the club hasn't paid its ASCAP/BMI dues that could be a triple infringement!

I would submit that if you're downloading a song for the sole purpose of learning it to play on a gig, which indirectly promotes that artist's music, you should do so with a clear conscience. Of course, playing the song in public might trigger ascap obligations for you or the venue, but that has nothing to do with how you learned it.

I'm using YouTube all the time to learn material, but I'm too technically inept to download.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I didn't ask for this game, this technological game. but not from my invitation, it's here... and I am an adaptive animal.

When Erroll Garner was a youngster and he would come home from a concert, and by prodigious memory play excerpts of another composer... what? he would be in trouble with ASS CAP? Utterly outrageous.

Yea, I've read this position from people before and all I have to say is.... Let he without sin cast the first stone.

I'm sure you've NEVER downloaded anything in your life right?

I missed this one, earlier... Nice observation of applicable truth. :like:

I find it frustrating that otherwise brilliant people like Mike Martin don't understand the difference between copyright infrigement and theft.

Let me try to explain it to you: If we were both in high school, and I copied your essay, that would be copyright infringement. If I broke into your locker and stole your essay, that would be theft. The difference between the two situations is dramatic: in the case of theft, you no longer have an essay to hand in.

The act of copying a performance from YouTube may, or may not, be copyright infringement -- you must also consider the doctrine of fair use. In this US, this is covered under Title 17, Section 107.

Unless you are prepared to make an argument that Tee here is not exempt under section 107 (which allows use for scholarship, research, etc) -- get off your high freakin horse and STFU.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

This seems to be a moveable line in the sand.

I've used these converters, nearly always in a situation where I am learning a tune that I don't have, usually to prep for a gig with someone. Even if I do have the recording somewhere, it's usually just easier to grab again when my rig is a laptop, Mainstage and controllers, instead of trying to find it. Then I'll open in a slowdowner if I need to, or loop it in QuickTime. Am I really guilty of something? Sometimes I only need to play the Youtube a couple of times and I'm good to go. Innocent of wrongdoing then? Some time ago, I used a converter to grab the 'hellhound' howls at the beginning of Deep Purple's "Hush" to create a sample. Guilty? Where did THEY get that soundbyte from, for that matter?

I'm not building a music library for myself on the cheap. I can live with myself having committed these transgressions, and there'll be no deathbed requests for absolution.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

+1

A tad calmer now... I find your re-title... hilarious.

Interesting the amount of heat copyright issues raise. When I purchased a VCR it was illegal to record free to air TV programs. And the VCR came with a built-in tuner facilitating this breach of copyright. Most of it was for time shifted viewing. Then PVR's came along and TV's had PVR's built in to make it even easier.

Now every free to air TV channel has an app that encourages you to time shift and view episodes in advance of their airing. Don't think the law has changed though but the licensees have finally got with the program. And Hollywood is still in business.

I figure with YouTube that the rights owner can take the content down anytime they like. Every one knows that from the day after YT launched that downloader software has been available.

If people downloading their YT content for later viewing or listening bothered the rights owner they would take it down. If they haven't then I take that as tacit approval that the content is in the public domain and the rights owner has accepted we now live in a different world, just as the free to air broadcasters have by now encouraging time shifted viewing.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Ahh to long for the old days when the band leader gave you a CD or even earlier, a cassette. But was that really legal (copyright violation) back then?

When I was involved and leading worship bands, we frequently used Planning Center. It would gladly allow audio files to be uploaded and shared with the band. Not sure how that doesn't violate copyright, but it's certainly happening.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack