Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2920528 - 04/10/18 08:30 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: waygetter]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I saw Springsteen in 1978 after he released Darkness on the Edge of Town. He started at 8:10 and went to about 10PM, took a 45 minute break and then play from 10:45 to 12:15, then came out and did an encore and finished up around 1AM. He never stopped moving the entire time. I compare that to Hall and Oates who I've seen frequently the past few years; they start at a little after 8PM and the show is over by 9:20 to 9:30. Bruce is just getting warmed up at 9:30PM.

Here's an 18 minute song of him introducing the band and check out the crowd interaction:

KC Island
#2920534 - 04/10/18 09:06 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: Delaware Dave]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
These types of threads make the generational gap on this forum painfully obvious.

If the best performer seen is d8mn near 70 years old and/or the best concert attended was 40 years ago, music is clearly in the rearview.

I'm not advocating that all of the the current crop of sh8t is the cat's meow. Absolutely not.

But, surely, quality music has been recorded and great performances have been given within the past 1,825 days. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2920537 - 04/10/18 09:10 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: ProfD]
MTalking Offline

Agreed. There's some crusty-music-loving folks on this site, for sure. It may be heresy to many on this forum, but musical talent, showmanship, etc., didn't all just mysteriously evaporate in 1979.

#2920541 - 04/10/18 09:28 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: MTalking]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Well, the "crusty" old band I play with (the two "originals" are ~72 years old) does shows of 70 to 90 minutes because that's what's in our contract! Especially at a club where they need to turn the house around or sell drinks. Or, you're part of a package of bands. We played the Rewind festival in Scotland, our set time was dictated to us: 20 minutes! Could we do a two-hour-plus show? Jeez, give us old guys a break will ya! We're lucky to still be doing this!

#2920544 - 04/10/18 09:40 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: waygetter]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: waygetter
I guess I should have known that declaring someone as “The Best” will always be controversial! In any case, things I thought were impressive in this example are

1. His voice is spot on – no autotune
2. His timing is spot on, despite the physical histrionics
3. He effortlessly segues between heavy and light, both musically and vocally
4. He is playing, singing, and performing – simultaneously, seemingly effortlessly for extended periods.
5. When he takes his guitar on and off, he never misses a beat vocally, musically, or physically. Just when you think “ok, now he’s going to blow it…” Nope – he nails it each and every time, with microseconds to spare!

By the way, all the other artists listed, I love them all, and I think they are the best performers ever! &#128522;

That's one of the things I always appreciated about Jethro Tull. I think they were very likely the tightest band I ever saw, bar none. There were numerous times during each concert when they would all stop playing simultaneously...wait a preposterous period of time...not just a single note, more like a measure or two...then hit the song again with scary accuracy. Without looking at each other. Without a count. Without the drummer tapping his sticks. No in-ear monitors to cheat with. Nothing. Just timing so sharp and precise you could use it as a knife. Friggin' amazing. I heard years later that Ian Anderson drilled the band mercilessly to get it to the point where they could do that.

Something like the song Aqualung, where the initial riff, DA-DA-DA-DA-DAAAAAH-DA, is followed by a built-in pause, would be magnified by some ridiculous amount of time as the crowd went nuts, recognizing the tune instantly. They would tease with the riff, then stop and leave everyone hanging...waiting...waiting...waiting for the other shoe to drop. BOOM! Hit it again. And wait...

It wasn't just his voice that paused--the whole band did it. If it had been handled sloppily, it would have been a train wreck, but they pulled it off effortlessly. Every. Single. Damned. Time.

Grey

#2920561 - 04/10/18 10:36 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: Delaware Dave]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
I saw Springsteen in 1978 after he released Darkness on the Edge of Town. He started at 8:10 and went to about 10PM, took a 45 minute break and then play from 10:45 to 12:15, then came out and did an encore and finished up around 1AM. He never stopped moving the entire time. I compare that to Hall and Oates who I've seen frequently the past few years; they start at a little after 8PM and the show is over by 9:20 to 9:30. Bruce is just getting warmed up at 9:30PM.

Here's an 18 minute song of him introducing the band and check out the crowd interaction:

Bruce is a force of nature!

#2920563 - 04/10/18 10:38 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: area51recording]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: area51recording

Was. 40 years ago. Now he's a 70-year-old guy who used to be a force of nature. And that's ok...

#2920567 - 04/10/18 10:51 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: MathOfInsects]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

Was. 40 years ago. Now he's a 70-year-old guy who used to be a force of nature. And that's ok...

Cool. I get it. I'm old. Bruce is old. Neither one of us can do Jack Shit about that particular situation, except, I don't know, try not to die, I guess.....Just got up an hour ago, think it might be time for a nap cool

#2920568 - 04/10/18 10:54 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: MathOfInsects]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Well, no one worked harder than James! You know his 'handle'!
Yep from the Tami show . . .

Edited by Legatoboy (04/10/18 11:09 AM)

#2920571 - 04/10/18 10:58 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: Dave Ferris]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
I saw Tull on what I think was their first American tour around 1968. I believe it was to promote their first record --"This Was'.

It was at Forest Park in St. Louis, under the Pavilion -- where I also saw the Allman Brothers and Janis Joplin/ Big Brother and the Holding Co.

Tull had an organist. Don't know his name but he made a monstrous impression on me at 15 years old. He played a C3 that looked like it had been through the mill. It was long ago but I still remember the largely hippie audience being mesmerized. I loved the second record - Stand Up - too. After that era, my musical direction and preference changed dramatically and I no longer followed them. But still have fond memories of 1968.

That was John Evan Dave, I believe John was classical trained at King's Collage in London but you should check that out ...

John is a great player and was in all those old shows. Tull was originally his band I believe - John Evan's 'Smash'. Went to so many Tull shows it wasn't funny back in the 70's. The people I played with were such Tull fanatics that one of them became their guitar roady for 3 years! I learned more about Scotland/England than I ever would have wanted to know from them . . . All of John's playing - Piano,Hammond and Mini-Moog was exceptional!

Funny story, my friend who is a Blues/Space rock DJ who is now 68 and was an every other weekend at the Fillmore sort of guy, I think you know the type, told me Ian was the most boring person in the world to talk to....he said it was like talking to your Dad in the 1970's...that's was hard for me to believe. but ya never know! Sorry Ian... I don't believe it either!

Edited by Legatoboy (04/10/18 12:42 PM)

#2920575 - 04/10/18 11:02 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: Legatoboy]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
Well, no one worked harder than James!

That is performing for the back row.

#2920577 - 04/10/18 11:04 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: area51recording]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
For whatever perspective it's worth, there's a lot about getting older I really enjoy. Gonna be 57 later this year, so I know I'm more than half way done. Married a great woman. Still playing music. Enjoying the gigs, enjoying the day job, paying my bills. Life is good - ain't perfect, but good.

And age provides context. Respectfully disagree Ian Anderson's a better performer than either Prince or MJ. And no way anyone's going to tell me Prince or MJ was a unique performer when I know there was once James Brown. And that Little Richard preceded James.

Getting old also means life is more precious. The good things in life are so much more important than the occasional shite that will pass. Appreciate a good sushi dinner with your son. Pay your taxes and laugh it off cause you know the IRS gives no quarter so pissing about it does no good.

Every day is a gift. Yeah, all the hairs everywhere are starting to show some gray. it's still all good...and it helps me appreciate youngsters who are getting up on stage and bringing it these days. Yeah, there's some of those too:

#2920584 - 04/10/18 11:32 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: MathOfInsects]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp

well, almost. wink

he's 68 1/2 laugh

in the middle of a 60 week stint on Broadway, solo, 4 and 5 nights a week for 3 hours a night

completely sold out, BTW
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2920594 - 04/10/18 12:00 PM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: Legatoboy]
PianoMan51 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cabin In The Woods
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
Well, no one worked harder than James! You know his 'handle'!

Was it Nietzsche who said:

We each must choose to be James, or the guy who holds his cape.

Edited by PianoMan51 (04/10/18 12:05 PM)

#2920600 - 04/10/18 12:25 PM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: timwat]
MTalking Offline

Originally Posted By: timwat
For whatever perspective it's worth, there's a lot about getting older I really enjoy. Gonna be 57 later this year, so I know I'm more than half way done. Married a great woman. Still playing music. Enjoying the gigs, enjoying the day job, paying my bills. Life is good - ain't perfect, but good.

And age provides context. Respectfully disagree Ian Anderson's a better performer than either Prince or MJ. And no way anyone's going to tell me Prince or MJ was a unique performer when I know there was once James Brown. And that Little Richard preceded James.

Getting old also means life is more precious. The good things in life are so much more important than the occasional shite that will pass. Appreciate a good sushi dinner with your son. Pay your taxes and laugh it off cause you know the IRS gives no quarter so pissing about it does no good.

Every day is a gift. Yeah, all the hairs everywhere are starting to show some gray. it's still all good...and it helps me appreciate youngsters who are getting up on stage and bringing it these days. Yeah, there's some of those too:

Tim, you always have some great wisdom to share! Hopefully I'll get there — but I'm already 50, so I've got a long ways to go, and a short time to get there. smile

#2920601 - 04/10/18 12:32 PM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: MathOfInsects]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY

I saw him a couple of hours do a three 3 plus hour show in Buffalo and in 2012 one in Toronto almost 4 hours. Look at Max Wienberg, talk about a force of nature. Anyway Bruce/EStreet will bury bands half their age. It's because they came up hard and developed resiliency that a lot of musicians don't have. They did by gigging and sweating it out in the trenches.

Edited by Outkaster (04/10/18 12:33 PM)

noblevibes.com

#2920728 - 04/11/18 04:59 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: Bobby Simons]
kbrkr Offline

I also saw Jethro Tull at the Fillmore East in the Village in the 70's. I don't recall anything special about their performance. Now the Who, on the other hand, were captivating. Moon on drums looking like a Punker, Entwhistle never moving, Townsend windmilling his guitar, and Daltry whirlygigging his microphone and just when you think things are nice and calm, they ended the song with smashing their guitars and drums.

As a matter of fact, I was at their concert at the Fillmore when the Theatre started to fill up with smoke. A man who looked like a fire official or venue security walked up to Daltry on stage and started telling him something. Daltry started arguing with the guy and after a while, Townsend threw his arms around the guy and they threw him off the stage. The crowd cheered and they kept playing until everyone realized the place was actually on FIRE!!!!! More and more smoke filled the theater and we evacuated.

Here is the story: ==> http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-townshend-arrested-fillmore-east/

They sorta make Ian Anderson look like a pussycat.

Edited by kbrkr (04/11/18 05:01 AM)

#2921554 - 04/15/18 12:20 PM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: kbrkr]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone else see Beyoncé eat Coachella for a bedtime snack last night?

It's Beychella now.

Seriously. She put it down. That was an experience. Do not mess with that woman.

If there was any doubt in anyone's mind about her being a GOAT, last night confirms that any remaining haters are just that.

#2921557 - 04/15/18 12:37 PM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: kbrkr]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: kbrkr
I also saw Jethro Tull at the Fillmore East in the Village in the 70's. I don't recall anything special about their performance. Now the Who, on the other hand, were captivating. Moon on drums looking like a Punker, Entwhistle never moving, Townsend windmilling his guitar, and Daltry whirlygigging his microphone and just when you think things are nice and calm, they ended the song with smashing their guitars and drums.

As a matter of fact, I was at their concert at the Fillmore when the Theatre started to fill up with smoke. A man who looked like a fire official or venue security walked up to Daltry on stage and started telling him something. Daltry started arguing with the guy and after a while, Townsend threw his arms around the guy and they threw him off the stage. The crowd cheered and they kept playing until everyone realized the place was actually on FIRE!!!!! More and more smoke filled the theater and we evacuated.

Here is the story: ==> http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pete-townshend-arrested-fillmore-east/

They sorta make Ian Anderson look like a pussycat.

I saw The Who once - either late 70s or very early 80s. Guessing late 70s. They weren’t ‘77 Zep (no band has ever equaled their singular rock god performance) but it was a great show. Top shelf. I left feeling i’d just witnessed one of the iconic monster bands of rock history deliver a world class monster show. Not a lot of shows where I felt that way.

#2921592 - 04/15/18 04:22 PM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: MotiDave]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
I saw Bruce Springsteen play Slane Castle in Ireland in 1985. It's an open air venue, and there were reckoned to be 95,000 people there. He did two and a half hours on stage, took a 40 minute break, then came back on for another 90 minutes. Among all the hotdog/burger vans there that day, the one that was doing most trade had a big hand written sign up, saying "BOSS BURGERS"

However, the best showman I ever saw was Freddie Mercury. He used to have the audience in the palm of his hand.

My mum used to say that the best showman ever was Liberace. Now THERE'S a generation gap for you!

#2921672 - 04/16/18 08:30 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: MAJUSCULE]
delmar Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, UNITED STATES
Came here to say essentially this. If I wasn't dating a younger woman I wouldn't have a clue about Beyonce, but she is a powerhouse. Adele was right when she said her Grammy should have gone to Lemonade. Just watching her Coachella performance made me feel exhausted. I suspect that the backing tracks may have been prerecorded but who knows? A full band, a marching band, a choir, dancers, and 20-odd string players? How did they pull this off live?
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Anyone else see Beyoncé eat Coachella for a bedtime snack last night?

It's Beychella now.

Seriously. She put it down. That was an experience. Do not mess with that woman.

If there was any doubt in anyone's mind about her being a GOAT, last night confirms that any remaining haters are just that.

#2921680 - 04/16/18 08:59 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: delmar]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
My friend is Beyonce's drummer.

noblevibes.com

#2921699 - 04/16/18 10:06 AM Re: OT: has there ever been a better performer than [Re: kbrkr]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Now the Who, on the other hand, were captivating. Moon on drums looking like a Punker, Entwhistle never moving, Townsend windmilling his guitar, and Daltry whirlygigging his microphone and just when you think things are nice and calm, they ended the song with smashing their guitars and drums.

When I saw the Who, Daltry kept wrapping his mic cable around his legs and tripping. Townsend kept hitting his arm on the edge of his guitar when he tried to windmill. Hit a lot of wrong notes, too.

Not sufficiently bad to go in the worst performance thread, but pretty bad. Bad enough that I never bothered to shell out money to see them again.

Grey

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner