Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2920002 - 04/08/18 07:22 AM Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited.
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
I have brought this topic up in the past here at KC.
I am sensing a pattern with these converters to mp3.
I stick with one for a number of months.. then suddenly I get a large proportion of error messages.
The error messages are for more than one reason... copyright being one. But the fact that I have hardly seen any error messages, and then after many months start seeing a much greater number of them... gives me cause to alter my converter. And this is what I periodically do.
The latest one I have used. asked for donations, which I ignored. So after many error messages about a particular download, I tried a $10 donation ( the amount the app had as default ).
After the "donation", I am still receiving an unprecedented number of error messages.

Feel free to comment on this, but also to perhaps mention an app for OS that is hassle free and may even charge a small fee.
Edit: or even for my iPad Pro. Actually an app for the iPad would even be more convenient.
I do music for a living, and need to download for that purpose.
It would not be the first time I had downloaded a youtube to mp3, that I had actually purchased in the past. But under pressure of gig preparation, I need the song, so to speak, now. I do prefer to download versus repeatedly playing the youtube version.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/08/18 07:37 AM)

KC Island
#2920072 - 04/08/18 02:05 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
marczellm Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
Youtube's terms AFAIK forbid the downloading of videos. So these websites are violating the terms, and therefore Youtube is actively fighting their operation with technical countermeasures.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2920081 - 04/08/18 03:37 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: marczellm]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

converters come and go. I search for new ones all the time. can't even remember the latest one I've used.

#2920083 - 04/08/18 03:59 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: El Lobo]
tfort Offline

If you’re on a Mac, you could try Rogue Amoeba’s Audio Hijack. Well known developer.

#2920095 - 04/08/18 04:31 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: tfort]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
https://www.mediahuman.com/youtube-to-mp3-converter/

Brain dead easy to use, fast, free, no errors (that I've ever seen), it just works and does the job. Did I mention it's free? Just grab it.

#2920120 - 04/08/18 08:04 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Reezekeys]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Hey Reezekeys...thanks for the heads up, it works perfectly!!! Been looking for a new convertor, thanks, man!!! wink

#2920124 - 04/08/18 08:54 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: analogman1]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My pleasure, been using this sw for years - works great.

#2920129 - 04/08/18 10:39 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Reezekeys]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I'm going to get really radical here. Almost verging on religion and/or politics, and may get banned as a result. My suggestion, as crazy as it may seem, is to........wait for it.......BUY the music. I know it just seems insane. Why compensate the artist for their original work? Just makes no sense at all, right? Give it a try. Most of these songs are less than a fucking buck each.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2920140 - 04/09/18 02:35 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: J. Dan]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
+1
This thread should be re-titled. “Which socially acceptable music theft tool do you use?”

#2920141 - 04/09/18 03:10 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mike Martin]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I tend to avoid these types of discussions, so this may well have been asked and answered in previous threads, but: for those who object to any form of this practice, what do you feel is the actionable ethical difference (if any) between A) pulling up a YouTube video of a song, using YouTube's suboptimal interface to learn the song, and playing that song on a gig; and B) downloading that same video from YouTube, loading into a more conducive interface (i.e. Transcribe, Capo, ASD) that allows you to learn the song in less time, deleting the file from your device, and then playing the song on a gig? Because that is virtually the only reason I ever download videos. And as an afterthought, do you feel it makes a difference if the song in question isn't readily available for purchase in downloadable form? (When it is, I'm willing to pay the buck twenty-five for it, especially if playing it on gigs is gonna earn me money back over time – but that's not always the case. And companies like Apple making their files incompatible with third-party apps certainly isn't helping to incentivize purchases in such instances.)

#2920146 - 04/09/18 04:30 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mike Martin]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mike Martin
+1
This thread should be re-titled. “Which socially acceptable music theft tool do you use?”

A Thank you, to the 2 offerings of a converters ... I will use them FOR SURE like
Now, on to these BS remarks just above in the quote.

I like you J Dan.. I do.. however... I reject sharply any suggestion of theft.

I always confused people because I see things from multiple and seemingly inconsistent and in their little minds, contradictory even hypocritical points of view. And I do not give a damn who has a problem with that. In my view, those types, are small minded. Akin to Lilliputians . Emerson used ( Emerson was a man with far more wisdom and intellect than anyone here ) the phrase.. a foolish consistency and the hobgoblin of ( indeed ) little minds. I fully subscribe to that phrase.

I am a damned musician ... I was AGAINSt recording industry, I was against synths because I foresaw what these unstoppable inventions would do to people like me who are devoted to music ( over lifetimes I might add, to the uninformed ) .

There was talk of a ban on recordings as I recall it. As much as I love recordings.. given the damned choice, I would eschew ( give up ) the recordings, because it would mean music would be greatly more appreciated and synths with snippets of real sounds ( Mellotrons , romplers ) would not in effect, put musicians like me ( dedicated .. to be distinguished from weekend warrior types ) out of work.
Eve n as a kid, I worked constantly... no longer so easy.

So, I see things from more points of view, than most in my experience here.

Now I have embraced this F ing technology. and will damn sure use it like a mofo.

Thanks you two, for suggesting converters.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/09/18 04:33 AM)

#2920150 - 04/09/18 04:38 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mike Martin]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1

Yeah yeah yeah ( not the lyric from she loves you yeah yeah.. the other kind ) sure sure
right on.. And Mr Martin, pray tell, what is it you do for a career in music?
Fine, you work for Casio. terrif... Well pal, I pursue a different kind of job. DO not preach to me, your moral maxims.
BTW, your Casio pianos are nice... just don't tread on this dude.

#2920153 - 04/09/18 04:46 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
BbAltered Offline
Gold Member

Of course, to buy the song, I have to make an account. And then Apple or Google or maybe MusicPlayer.com sells my information to the Russians to interfere with US elections.

Which corrupt practice should I engage in?
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2920155 - 04/09/18 04:50 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: J. Dan]
kbrkr Offline

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
I'm going to get really radical here. Almost verging on religion and/or politics, and may get banned as a result. My suggestion, as crazy as it may seem, is to........wait for it.......BUY the music. I know it just seems insane. Why compensate the artist for their original work? Just makes no sense at all, right? Give it a try. Most of these songs are less than a fucking buck each.

Yea, I've read this position from people before and all I have to say is.... Let he without sin cast the first stone.

I'm sure you've NEVER downloaded anything in your life right?

#2920158 - 04/09/18 04:54 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: BbAltered]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
I fully support paying for music.

On the other side of the coin, iTunes managed to lose every track and playlist I had bought or ripped from cd's (which I also paid for), nearly 8,000 songs altogether.

I was going to work out how much this has cost me, but I would only end up in tears.

#2920159 - 04/09/18 04:56 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: BbAltered]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: BbAltered
Of course, to buy the song, I have to make an account. And then Apple or Google or maybe MusicPlayer.com sells my information to the Russians to interfere with US elections.

Which corrupt practice should I engage in?

Love love the irony.

#2920160 - 04/09/18 04:58 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Six-string-man]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Six-string-man
I fully support paying for music.

On the other side of the coin, iTunes managed to lose every track and playlist I had bought or ripped from cd's (which I also paid for), nearly 8,000 songs altogether.

I was going to work out how much this has cost me, but I would only end up in tears.

There there now, don't cry.. get angry.

#2920161 - 04/09/18 05:04 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One man is given by nation he serves the Medal of Honor, another is put to death... they both killed others. Hmmmm Same idea with my case. Most stiffs listen to music for their personal enjoyment . I use music for my professional purposes mainly . I will always avoid paying for music.
I have bought music though.. and last year I sent yamaha $400 for 67 MIDI songs.
I play the game in a way that works for me. No apologies.

#2920179 - 04/09/18 06:34 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: tfort]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
It used to be easy to examine the HTML code and grab the URL of the video but YT is continually hiding it under shells, and changing the shells.

Originally Posted By: tfort
If you’re on a Mac, you could try Rogue Amoeba’s Audio Hijack. Well known developer.

That's what I use too. It captures the audio from the internal audio chain of the Mac, which YT can't intervene.

And I do buy the CD - WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE. Many releases are no longer available anywhere and that is where YT is valuable. And I refuse to buy from online outlets like iTunes where they can zap your tracks without notice.

#2920186 - 04/09/18 06:51 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: The Real MC]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

This is a slippery slope of logic but I'll play for a minute. I download tunes for two reasons: one, I need to learn it for a gig. Let me get this right: if I methodically rewind and play the youtube video over & over again to learn the song I'm fine, but if I download it and use a slow-downer or just rewind & play over & over in Quicktime player I'm a thief? Most of those songs I don't even like and would never listen to, and I trash the file immediately.

Two, some songs are from older recordings, unavailable anywhere. Or maybe the video is a phone recording of a live gig of a cover band – just think, if the club hasn't paid its ASCAP/BMI dues that could be a triple infringement!

#2920191 - 04/09/18 07:11 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Reezekeys]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I would submit that if you're downloading a song for the sole purpose of learning it to play on a gig, which indirectly promotes that artist's music, you should do so with a clear conscience. Of course, playing the song in public might trigger ascap obligations for you or the venue, but that has nothing to do with how you learned it.

I'm using YouTube all the time to learn material, but I'm too technically inept to download.

Edited by Adan (04/09/18 07:13 AM)

roccoromanucci.com

#2920192 - 04/09/18 07:13 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Reezekeys]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I didn't ask for this game, this technological game. but not from my invitation, it's here... and I am an adaptive animal.

When Erroll Garner was a youngster and he would come home from a concert, and by prodigious memory play excerpts of another composer... what? he would be in trouble with ASS CAP? Utterly outrageous.

#2920194 - 04/09/18 07:20 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: kbrkr]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Originally Posted By: J. Dan

Yea, I've read this position from people before and all I have to say is.... Let he without sin cast the first stone.

I'm sure you've NEVER downloaded anything in your life right?

I missed this one, earlier... Nice observation of applicable truth. like

#2920196 - 04/09/18 07:26 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I find it frustrating that otherwise brilliant people like Mike Martin don't understand the difference between copyright infrigement and theft.

Let me try to explain it to you: If we were both in high school, and I copied your essay, that would be copyright infringement. If I broke into your locker and stole your essay, that would be theft. The difference between the two situations is dramatic: in the case of theft, you no longer have an essay to hand in.

The act of copying a performance from YouTube may, or may not, be copyright infringement -- you must also consider the doctrine of fair use. In this US, this is covered under Title 17, Section 107.

Unless you are prepared to make an argument that Tee here is not exempt under section 107 (which allows use for scholarship, research, etc) -- get off your high freakin horse and STFU.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2920200 - 04/09/18 07:37 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: WesG]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
snax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2920214 - 04/09/18 07:58 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: WesG]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
This seems to be a moveable line in the sand.
I've used these converters, nearly always in a situation where I am learning a tune that I don't have, usually to prep for a gig with someone. Even if I do have the recording somewhere, it's usually just easier to grab again when my rig is a laptop, Mainstage and controllers, instead of trying to find it. Then I'll open in a slowdowner if I need to, or loop it in QuickTime. Am I really guilty of something? Sometimes I only need to play the Youtube a couple of times and I'm good to go. Innocent of wrongdoing then? Some time ago, I used a converter to grab the 'hellhound' howls at the beginning of Deep Purple's "Hush" to create a sample. Guilty? Where did THEY get that soundbyte from, for that matter?
I'm not building a music library for myself on the cheap. I can live with myself having committed these transgressions, and there'll be no deathbed requests for absolution.

#2920218 - 04/09/18 08:14 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Joe Muscara]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
:snap:

You are one moderate moderator laugh

#2920222 - 04/09/18 08:20 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mike Martin]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1

A tad calmer now... I find your re-title... hilarious.

#2920226 - 04/09/18 08:30 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Bobby Simons]
Markay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Interesting the amount of heat copyright issues raise. When I purchased a VCR it was illegal to record free to air TV programs. And the VCR came with a built-in tuner facilitating this breach of copyright. Most of it was for time shifted viewing. Then PVR's came along and TV's had PVR's built in to make it even easier.

Now every free to air TV channel has an app that encourages you to time shift and view episodes in advance of their airing. Don't think the law has changed though but the licensees have finally got with the program. And Hollywood is still in business.

I figure with YouTube that the rights owner can take the content down anytime they like. Every one knows that from the day after YT launched that downloader software has been available.

If people downloading their YT content for later viewing or listening bothered the rights owner they would take it down. If they haven't then I take that as tacit approval that the content is in the public domain and the rights owner has accepted we now live in a different world, just as the free to air broadcasters have by now encouraging time shifted viewing.

#2920244 - 04/09/18 09:13 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Markay]
Mills Dude Offline

Loc: New York
Ahh to long for the old days when the band leader gave you a CD or even earlier, a cassette. But was that really legal (copyright violation) back then?

When I was involved and leading worship bands, we frequently used Planning Center. It would gladly allow audio files to be uploaded and shared with the band. Not sure how that doesn't violate copyright, but it's certainly happening.

#2920257 - 04/09/18 09:55 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mills Dude]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm old enough to remember dubbing cassette decks. Did the recording industry try and stop those from being manufactured & sold?

#2920263 - 04/09/18 10:18 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mike Martin]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
+1

I use any keyboard that exactly replicates the sounds & effects from classic tunes, so I can make money off the backs of the original artists in my "tribute" band.

#2920267 - 04/09/18 10:30 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Markay]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Markay
I figure with YouTube that the rights owner can take the content down anytime they like. Every one knows that from the day after YT launched that downloader software has been available.

If people downloading their YT content for later viewing or listening bothered the rights owner they would take it down. If they haven't then I take that as tacit approval that the content is in the public domain and the rights owner has accepted we now live in a different world, just as the free to air broadcasters have by now encouraging time shifted viewing.
I'm not able to find the stories ATM, but there have been a lot of cases where artists didn't want their material on YT, and YT either didn't take it down, or as soon as it's taken down, someone else posts the song again. Some artists have given up.

On top of that, YT pays squat according to the reports I've seen.

https://thetrichordist.com/2017/01/26/yo...-and-heres-why/

But in no case are these songs in the public domain. Maybe you meant something else, but just because they are available to listen to this way or online generally does it mean they are in the public domain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2920269 - 04/09/18 10:38 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mills Dude]
analogika Offline

Loc: Germany
Ahem: Were I to use such a tool, I would probably use 4K Video Downloader on the Mac.

Lets people download any video from a number of sources, and directly load the audio as mp3 or aac.

https://www.4kdownload.com/?source=videodownloader

#2920273 - 04/09/18 10:47 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Joe Muscara]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
I'd like to a little perspective to my original comment.

I've simply run into so many people across a wide age range that have populated a huge amount of their music collection with music that they have not purchased, but downloaded from Youtube. This ranges from high school kids, college students to adults with thousands of songs that they've acquired this way. They think it is cool to say how many songs they have in their collection...etc.Personally I'm paying my sons Apple Music (student priced) subscription to at least keep him from doing what all of his friends do - and what they seem to think is acceptable. I'm not saying that anywhere here does.

I also find it a tragedy that within days of releasing an album friends of mine find their entire album on Youtube where it can easily downloaded. Yes they go through the motions of having it taken down....etc but I find it really sad that people think it is okay to do this.

So my comment wasn't based on "fair use" or directly aimed at members of this forum but rather the state of the industry which in general is in a very interesting place.

In advance of Spotify going public yesterday I heard a news station on the radio say that Spotify's business model may not be very good because $.75 of every $1 was going to the ARTIST. I spit my drink on the dash as we all know musicians are not making anything much from streaming.

#2920291 - 04/09/18 11:31 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Reezekeys]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I'm old enough to remember dubbing cassette decks. Did the recording industry try and stop those from being manufactured & sold?

They didn't need to because unlike digital format like DAT the cassette format was a lousy media that didn't create perfect copies.

#2920292 - 04/09/18 11:32 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mike Martin]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I am not a super visionary, Mr Martin.. so all I can say is kind of commonplace... This world
seems crazier than ever. A world where standards are constantly tested, stretched twisted.. words do not mean what they used to. It kind of wears on you after a few decades of it.

My rant was not really intended for Mr Martin or J Dan. I like both of them. I just do that sort of thing ( vent to the world at large. ) every now and then, when the craziness just gets to me.

Like I say... I never wanted this technology to invade the music I loved. But it did. So I go into a rougher, less crossing of all my t's, kind of mode.

Crazy is a term we and I use when a better term or turn of phrase is not available to my intellect. Actually, my saying "this is crazy" is a sign of the lessening of intelligence. The uncountable changes in society are overwhelming.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/09/18 11:53 AM)

#2920311 - 04/09/18 12:06 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Bobby Simons]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons

I'm not building a music library for myself on the cheap. I can live with myself having committed these transgressions, and there'll be no deathbed requests for absolution.

This is what I go with. If it's to learn songs for a gig, then I'll find the quickest, easiest method to access and transcribe. A bandleader-provided book is all but ancient history now. Last one I saw was around 1998. I won't waste time and spend money prepping for a gig, especially when local venue pay rates are the same as in the early 1990s.

#2920313 - 04/09/18 12:14 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: allan_evett]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: allan_evett
I won't waste time and spend money prepping for a gig, especially when local venue pay rates are the same as in the early 1990s haven't changed since the late 1970s.

FIXED

#2920314 - 04/09/18 12:15 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

I copied vinyl LP's to reel-to-reel. Then I copied them to cassette. Then I had a dual cassette deck to copy cassettes. Then I had a CD player and I burned tunes to CD's with my computer. Then I copied tunes from my computer to a flash drive. I no longer have a record player, reel-to-reel tape deck, cassette player or dual cassette deck, or a CD player (except in my 10-year-old car). I play music from my computer or on my phone. I don't use streaming services at all. I use youtube videos to learn songs. Mostly I don't bother to download them and convert to mp3 because I can learn them just from playing the vid. I just learned a bunch of Tom Petty songs that way because they're fairly simple and straightforward. I learned a bunch of CCR tunes the same way. I download tunes in order to put them on my phone to take to band rehearsal. I never play recorded music anymore just for listening. If I'm playing any recorded music, it's because I'm working on it.

I appreciate the distinction made earlier about theft vs. copyright infringement. If I download a song to work on it or take to rehearsal, I do not consider it theft. It may be copyright infringement, but then it being posted on youtube (over the artist's objections) is also copyright infringement in the first place. But I am not building a collection of tunes to brag about how much music I have stored on my computer or phone, I don't copy any of it to give to others, and I don't play it as a DJ or other commercial purposes.

The world of recorded music has changed enormously over the years and we have all changed with it. It will continue to change. I just hope I can keep up.

#2920316 - 04/09/18 12:16 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: The Real MC]
stillearning Offline

Tbh, I’d guess I made more in the70’s!

#2920320 - 04/09/18 12:22 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: stillearning]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
My purpose for donloading from YouTube, like most others here, is to be able to learn (or re learn!) parts from tunes requested for gigs that I do.
If I were building a music libary, I'd either use CD's or download from Apple music; most of the YouTube videos are crappy quality mono files, and I'm always willing to pay for better quality tunes.
But for learning purposes? My time is worth more to me than having to sit there and re-wind youtube to learn a piano intro or a special solo section.
Just my .02

#2920325 - 04/09/18 12:30 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: analogman1]
stillearning Offline

What he said. ^

#2920532 - 04/10/18 08:55 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: El Lobo]
analogika Offline

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
I play music from my computer or on my phone. I don't use streaming services at all. I use youtube videos to learn songs.
YouTube is a streaming service.

#2920535 - 04/10/18 09:06 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: analogika]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: analogika
I play music from my computer or on my phone. I don't use streaming services at all. I use youtube videos to learn songs.

#2920540 - 04/10/18 09:24 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
[quote=El Lobo] I play music from my computer or on my phone. I don't use streaming services at all. I use youtube videos to learn songs.

You know what I meant.

#2920554 - 04/10/18 10:09 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: El Lobo]
analogika Offline

You know what I meant.

Yes, I do, but I don't really see the difference you're making..

YouTube is, for all practical purposes, a streaming services, with all that implies for the rights owners. If you're using YouTube for music, you might as well be using Spotify.

#2920557 - 04/10/18 10:17 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Mills Dude]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: Mills Dude
When I was involved and leading worship bands, we frequently used Planning Center. It would gladly allow audio files to be uploaded and shared with the band. Not sure how that doesn't violate copyright, but it's certainly happening.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember if it was a requirement or not.. If not, it probably assumed that by having planning center, your church also had a CCLI membership, and a CCLI rehearsal license, which covers sharing CCLI protected songs (most contemporary worship music) with praise team members.

#2920566 - 04/10/18 10:45 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: analogika]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

[quote=El Lobo] I play music from my computer or on my phone. I don't use streaming services at all. I use youtube videos to learn songs.

You know what I meant.

Yes, I do, but I don't really see the difference you're making..

YouTube is, for all practical purposes, a streaming services, with all that implies for the rights owners. If you're using YouTube for music, you might as well be using Spotify.
I don't use Spotify so I don't know how it works. Can you select individual tunes and download them to your device? If so, then you're correct – there's no difference. If you can't find a specific tune and download it on Spotify, then that's the difference I was making.

#2920586 - 04/10/18 11:37 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: WesG]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Originally Posted By: WesG
I find it frustrating that otherwise brilliant people like Mike Martin don't understand the difference between copyright infrigement and theft.

Let me try to explain it to you: If we were both in high school, and I copied your essay, that would be copyright infringement. If I broke into your locker and stole your essay, that would be theft. The difference between the two situations is dramatic: in the case of theft, you no longer have an essay to hand in.

The act of copying a performance from YouTube may, or may not, be copyright infringement -- you must also consider the doctrine of fair use. In this US, this is covered under Title 17, Section 107.

Unless you are prepared to make an argument that Tee here is not exempt under section 107 (which allows use for scholarship, research, etc) -- get off your high freakin horse and STFU.

Yes, I will make a strong case that the OP is not entitled to claim "Fair Use." In fact, fair use has NOTHING to do with an individual accessing copyrighted material without compensation to the owner. It is about the re-publication of typical snippets or small segments of copyrighted material. And the courts are most accepting if it is nonprofit education or non-commercial use. Think research papers, classrooms, documentaries, etc.

https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

If the OP were able to claim fair use, then any/all musicians would have full access to all recorded music under the guise of "scholarship, research." And any actress wannabe, all movies, using the same rationale. It doesn't work that way and everyone knows that or should know that.

Besides, "fair use" isn't carte blanc. It is simply legal protection in a few, specific cases and there's no guarantee the court will grant you the exception under "fair use." The best option is still to go the copyright owner and ask permission to include their work in yours.

Theft, copyright protection, it's mincing words IMO. The FBI puts it under the umbrella of "theft of IP." "Theft of IP" is a common phrase, so Mike's use is not not out of line. IP, obviously, is a unique type of property but it is considered property under the law nonetheless. But if calling it copyright infringement helps you sleep at night, knock yourself out.

IMO, the best approach would have been for the OP to simply say: "it's nobody's business how I plan on using these utilities." It isn't my business how he uses this stuff. Funny, there are youtube videos that are in fact PD or CC, but that didn't seem to be in anyone's thinking.

Though I try very hard to be a good citizen in this IP space, I'm not perfect. But I'm not going to rationalize that either. I'm not going to rationalize special case exemptions for myself. We play fast and loose with these laws because it's easy to do and chances of getting caught are slim to none. It's that simple.

Busch.

#2920589 - 04/10/18 11:42 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: burningbusch]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: burningbusch
Though I try very hard to be a good citizen in this IP space, I'm not perfect. But I'm not going to rationalize that either. I'm not going to rationalize special case exemptions for myself. We play fast and loose with these laws because it's easy to do and chances of getting caught are slim to none. It's that simple.

Busch.

+1

I completely agree with you.

#2920591 - 04/10/18 11:44 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: El Lobo]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
I don't use Spotify so I don't know how it works. Can you select individual tunes and download them to your device? If so, then you're correct – there's no difference. If you can't find a specific tune and download it on Spotify, then that's the difference I was making.

With Spotify you can download songs to your devices. You can play those offline, but you need to go online within 30 days (that takes just a brief second to do) to reverify your subscription. There is a limit of 3,333 songs per device. I use this to play music in the car or when hiking to avoid data charges.

Busch.

#2920637 - 04/10/18 02:45 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: burningbusch]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

If it's a one-off gig and I'll never listen to the song again, I will learn it directly off of YouTube. If I need to download it because I have to run it into ASD or something like that, then I'll buy it. If it's a song I know I'll be rehearsing and playing a lot, I'll buy it.

Another circumstance where I'll practice off YouTube is when I already own the song, but it's not on the device I have next to me to practice off of (like my phone) then it's easier to just pull it off YouTube.

Only time I've downloaded off YouTube as an MP3 was when I couldn't find anywhere to buy it (out of production, maybe?) and had no other choice - in some cases different edits of the song like album cut vs radio cut, etc and needed to learn a specific version.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2920664 - 04/10/18 06:08 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: burningbusch]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: burningbusch

With Spotify you can download songs to your devices. You can play those offline, but you need to go online within 30 days (that takes just a brief second to do) to reverify your subscription. There is a limit of 3,333 songs per device. I use this to play music in the car or when hiking to avoid data charges.

Cn you play the downloaded songs outside of Spotify? i.e. can you load them into one of the apps that lets you slow things down?

#2920665 - 04/10/18 06:14 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: AnotherScott]
elseif Offline

Loc: FL space coast
I use Audacity. Quirky but works.

#2920668 - 04/10/18 06:28 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: elseif]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: elseif
I use Audacity. Quirky but works.

and the price is right. wink
davedoerfler

#2920833 - 04/11/18 11:45 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: davedoerfler]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I’m not pure, so i’ll Throw the first rock at myself. And i don’t judge what anyone else does. Not my business, not my concern. I’ll just say what i do.

I buy songs if i need to learn them and i feel the need to have it, whether for one gig or 100. I have had a few exceptions - where the BL asked me to learn some odd live video version that was never released. In these cases I have dirtied myself.

I saw MM’s comment about his son. I buy my son any and all music he wants - i tell him to not take free downloads or make copies off others, i’ll buy it. Having never made money as an recording artist, i appreciate artists that do and should. There will be less music in the world if less artists get paid. Or so i hypothesize.

Plus I have plenty of money relative to the cost of music. I can literally buy them singles all day long, day after day, and not notice the dent. Not everyone has that luxury, hence no judging here. I feel at least musicians downloading a song to learn it is a noble cause - unlike all those whiny snot nosed prepubescent brats thieving thousands of songs just to annoy others with it.

I also pay to see my friends play shows. I can get in free, but i pay. There’s a lot of people that $5 or $10 is a dent, i’m blessed its not for me. i tell my pals to let someone else in that needs it, i got it covered for myself. Supporting live music means paying for live music imo. I barely drink at all, if any, they won’t make enough money off me drinking 4 ice waters.

#2921338 - 04/13/18 08:30 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: MotiDave]
Quai34 Offline

Loc: Canada, MB
When I started to use Setlist maker for my synths, I was loading the songs I Had bought on ITunes into it. If I didn't have the music in my collection, even with some songs that the BL were asking me to learn, I was doing it. But I wanted to have also a file in my Dropbox with the MP3, the Stage 2 programs and the lyrics or any PDFs files that I could use. Most of the time, I buy the pdf from a website like "Sheet music plus". So, as Apple doesn't allow you very easily to transfer an ITunes file into a classic MP3, I was downloading the mo3 from YouTube.
These days, I have switched to Bandhelper that doesn't allow you anymore to attach any songs from your iTunes library!! I even asked the developer how I could do it but the reply was " you cannot do it anymore" it's just mo3 now...
So, I had to reload a huge bunch of songs from YouTube in MP3 just to get going with the new Apps...
Which means that sometimes, even the people who develop Apps designed to promote music (Bandhelper or Aplle...) put you in the position that you even have to "not support anymore the industry".
I don't do a difference between "ok if it's to learn it" or "not ok if it's just to listen to it". Maybe I'm on the old side but I still buy CD's, I still buy most of the music I play/listen via ITunes, I still have books with scores and so on...
So, I would say I agree that systematically downloading music and being proud of not paying for it, or even thinking that because you made music for a living, it's ok to do so isn't the right thing to do for me....If you make music as a living you should help/promote paying for music, right? So, how not paying for music just because you will use it to make a living from it, for you, Will really promote music? You are making dollars on music and want to be paid for your gig but you don't accept to pay for music just because it's just to learn it? That doesn't make any sense....A song is 1$.29, you are paid 200$ to play 20 songs during a gig (ok, maybe more songs and less pay, it's just an easy way to calculate in my head...), so, you are making 10$ per song played.....Don't you think you could pay 1.29$ for it? Your margin is still good....even if you play 40 songs during a gig, you divide it by 2, well, 5$ per song versus 1.29$....You are paid 100$ for 40 songs, still 1,29$ for 2.50$ per song, time two the margin, like in some retail, not bad, right? Ok, if you are paid 50$ for 40 songs, you should really try to find a new job....
So, as a conclusion, yes, paying 1.29$ for a song that is going to bring you back an average of 5$ is kind of fair, so, just pay for it....

Edited by Quai34 (04/13/18 08:34 PM)
Stage 2, C2 & NL2X+TC Pedals, Prophet 08 & 12+Tetra&H9, D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200& 2605.

#2921339 - 04/13/18 08:40 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Quai34]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Agreed plus your math assumes you'll only play one gig. In reality, say you play the songs at 50 gigs over the next year.....more than make back your money. But again if it's a one-off last minute thing I'll learn it off YouTube out of convenience more than anything. Like I'm at the gig and they spring on me "we're going to play love yourself by Justin Bieber tonight, can you do the trumpet part?" Umm, sure (never even heard the song before). So YouTube it, put the phone up to my ear (onstage minutes before start), pull up a patch and figure it out. Never play it again after that - was probably a request or something. Even though, not opposed to buying it, and maybe I should go back and pay for it since I used it even though I'll never listen to it, but in the last minute crunch to learn it, that was the fastest easiest way to pick it up.

#2921355 - 04/14/18 12:43 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: J. Dan]
Quai34 Offline

Loc: Canada, MB
For the 50 gigs per year for a song, yes of course, I was just trying to put myself in the least benefit situation when you play it just one time to see the value of buying versus free download...But yes, I hope it doesn't happen too much for you the last minute request....I set up myself with a Ikne week max, if my BL ask for a song to learn one week, even two weeks before the gig, I declined, I don't play it, k owing that usually, there is no keys in the songs, it's a pure hard rock one and that he ask me to fill way more stuff like crazy driven guitar songs with a lot of distortion and a sand ruthmic guitar just because he wants a back up for his solo....And when I ask a favor in return in playing a song that I like, I'm told that 80's/90's "synths song suck"....But I understand your point, knowing that I have learnt 50 songs in one year and half for ditching them after a while with some not being even played at a gig (well, on the setlist but last minute cancelled...), I would have made the same....
Note that on some signs where I was in your position, where I downloaded first the song to see how it goes, what I could do with it and so on, so, download before versus buying, I finally like the song quite much and dcided to buy it, also because it was so easier to have it directly in my ITunes collection to attach it to setlist maker....
Well, as I said, now I don't have to do it, there is band members who are insisting on me to have the mo3 and as wi this second band I'm e BL, I agree and prepare all of it in Dropbox. But still buy the recording version just to be able to compare it to the live versions I have to download in most case because not being offered in ITunes....
Well, great thread anyway, thanks for having participated in it, it helps to keep in mind these big changes in music cumsuption that have been happening for the past 20 years...
Stage 2, C2 & NL2X+TC Pedals, Prophet 08 & 12+Tetra&H9, D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200& 2605.

#2921503 - 04/15/18 04:59 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Quai34]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sorry, in this economy,
me as solely doing gigs for living, with no other financial sources,
the music I learn is ancient ...
and pay scale for a musician is not in step with the rest of the world.
I am making 50 dollars tomorrow!
Do you seriously think I am going to PAY for music from 50 years ago?
I am listening to eg, a bass line. do you seriously think I am going to pay to learn the bassline? Not in a million years. I have purchased plenty of music in my life time.
vinyl , CD, and some mp3
but at this point I will be "an outlaw" ( not in my mind ) . This has zero ( minus zero ) to do with pride of ownership. Au contrary , I am too lazy to throw away a lot of music I have.
But if my HD ate up a few thousand song, that is fine by me.

#2921539 - 04/15/18 09:46 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
dongna Offline

Sorry, in this economy...
the music... is ancient ...
pay scale for a musician is not in step with the rest of the world...

I have no particular dog in this hunt... I was just struck by your choice of words above. Probably the same line of thinking the owner of the venue you're playing is using in paying you just $50 tomorrow.

#2921627 - 04/15/18 11:44 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: dongna]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: dongna
Sorry, in this economy...
the music... is ancient ...
pay scale for a musician is not in step with the rest of the world...

I have no particular dog in this hunt... I was just struck by your choice of words above. Probably the same line of thinking the owner of the venue you're playing is using in paying you just $50 tomorrow.

Naaa, I just neglected to edit.
That gig was for a musician and his grand daughters ( twin girls ) 1st birthday party.
Not about the money, in that case.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/15/18 11:45 PM)

#2921661 - 04/16/18 08:01 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Reezekeys]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
If I recall correctly, they did one better: as the settlement of a big lawsuit, there was a small tax on every blank cassette you ever bought, which was funneled (via the musicians' union) into the "Music Performance Trust Fund," which then made grants that paid community ensembles to play live music. I played on lots of MPTF gigs in the 1970s, all paid for by cassette purchases.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2921666 - 04/16/18 08:19 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Quai34]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
If I didn't work in the public sector, I would quote one of you and put (in large print) an eight letter word for bovine excrement. Worst thing is, I do it too to learn songs to play.

Theft
You build or buy something, and I take it from you. You have zero, I have one. I have deprived you of one.

Copyright infringement
You build (or buy) something, that you could have monetized by copying and selling a thousand fold. I (and 999 others) make copies, and do not pay you. You have one, I have one. I and 999 others have deprived you of the payment for one thousand.

It's not a victimless crime we're committing here, folks. And our doing it through Youtube is no different from doing it through Youtube-plus-an-audio-extractor.

Now I gotta figure out if I can afford to legally learn songs. frown
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2921690 - 04/16/18 09:30 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Tom Williams]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Tom Williams
If I didn't work in the public sector, I would quote one of you and put (in large print) an eight letter word for bovine excrement. Worst thing is, I do it too to learn songs to play.

Theft
You build or buy something, and I take it from you. You have zero, I have one. I have deprived you of one.

Copyright infringement
You build (or buy) something, that you could have monetized by copying and selling a thousand fold. I (and 999 others) make copies, and do not pay you. You have one, I have one. I and 999 others have deprived you of the payment for one thousand.

It's not a victimless crime we're committing here, folks. And our doing it through Youtube is no different from doing it through Youtube-plus-an-audio-extractor.

if you're just watching YT, isn't it YT that is responsible to compensate the IP owner as they are the one distributing the content? If a user plays a YT feed in order to make a surreptitious copy and then retains that copy - that is a difference to just watching YT, no?

I buy music - except for BL-requested live versions that cannot be bought. i'm a smaller sinner. but we are all sinners.

#2921700 - 04/16/18 10:06 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: MotiDave]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I ain't biting the deprive argument.
All these arguments are based on the practices of last 100 years. The next 100 will be different rules.
In a world of tech, which again, I could live without, if we went back to 19th century rules,
the manner composers and musicians make money will change, like it or not.

I was born with a gift... by recording I am whoring out that gift.
I do not like what I just said, but I believe it is a factor in the insanity we face of trying
to survive as a gifted person. I was tempted to record, I did. I was paid usually one time.

In the "good old days", the gifted shared their gifts. Was barter used? I have no idea.
Were there copy right infringement issues? I doubt it.
If I hear a song now, and my musical gift ( ability to recall music ) permits me to play it on a paid gig, you think I am going to share the pittance I make?
Never going to happen.

Let's go back to 19th century , I am game.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/16/18 10:14 AM)

#2921712 - 04/16/18 10:52 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: MotiDave]
analogika Offline

Originally Posted By: MotiDave
Originally Posted By: Tom Williams

Theft

Copyright infringement

if you're just watching YT, isn't it YT that is responsible to compensate the IP owner as they are the one distributing the content? If a user plays a YT feed in order to make a surreptitious copy and then retains that copy - that is a difference to just watching YT, no?

I buy music - except for BL-requested live versions that cannot be bought. i'm a smaller sinner. but we are all sinners.

If you download it, YT ain't paying squat to anybody for each time you play it afterwards. But yes, YouTube pays per play — with all the caveats and stupidity involved with royalties (hah) on streaming models.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner