Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2921503 - 04/15/18 04:59 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Quai34]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Sorry, in this economy,
me as solely doing gigs for living, with no other financial sources,
the music I learn is ancient ...
and pay scale for a musician is not in step with the rest of the world.
I am making 50 dollars tomorrow!
Do you seriously think I am going to PAY for music from 50 years ago?
I am listening to eg, a bass line. do you seriously think I am going to pay to learn the bassline? Not in a million years. I have purchased plenty of music in my life time.
vinyl , CD, and some mp3
but at this point I will be "an outlaw" ( not in my mind ) . This has zero ( minus zero ) to do with pride of ownership. Au contrary , I am too lazy to throw away a lot of music I have.
But if my HD ate up a few thousand song, that is fine by me.

KC Island
#2921539 - 04/15/18 09:46 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
dongna Offline

Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
Sorry, in this economy...
the music... is ancient ...
pay scale for a musician is not in step with the rest of the world...

I have no particular dog in this hunt... I was just struck by your choice of words above. Probably the same line of thinking the owner of the venue you're playing is using in paying you just $50 tomorrow.

#2921627 - 04/15/18 11:44 PM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: dongna]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: dongna
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
Sorry, in this economy...
the music... is ancient ...
pay scale for a musician is not in step with the rest of the world...

I have no particular dog in this hunt... I was just struck by your choice of words above. Probably the same line of thinking the owner of the venue you're playing is using in paying you just $50 tomorrow.

Naaa, I just neglected to edit.
That gig was for a musician and his grand daughters ( twin girls ) 1st birthday party.
Not about the money, in that case.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/15/18 11:45 PM)

#2921661 - 04/16/18 08:01 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Reezekeys]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I'm old enough to remember dubbing cassette decks. Did the recording industry try and stop those from being manufactured & sold?
If I recall correctly, they did one better: as the settlement of a big lawsuit, there was a small tax on every blank cassette you ever bought, which was funneled (via the musicians' union) into the "Music Performance Trust Fund," which then made grants that paid community ensembles to play live music. I played on lots of MPTF gigs in the 1970s, all paid for by cassette purchases.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2921666 - 04/16/18 08:19 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Quai34]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
If I didn't work in the public sector, I would quote one of you and put (in large print) an eight letter word for bovine excrement. Worst thing is, I do it too to learn songs to play.

Theft
You build or buy something, and I take it from you. You have zero, I have one. I have deprived you of one.

Copyright infringement
You build (or buy) something, that you could have monetized by copying and selling a thousand fold. I (and 999 others) make copies, and do not pay you. You have one, I have one. I and 999 others have deprived you of the payment for one thousand.

It's not a victimless crime we're committing here, folks. And our doing it through Youtube is no different from doing it through Youtube-plus-an-audio-extractor.

Now I gotta figure out if I can afford to legally learn songs. frown
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2921690 - 04/16/18 09:30 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: Tom Williams]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: Tom Williams
If I didn't work in the public sector, I would quote one of you and put (in large print) an eight letter word for bovine excrement. Worst thing is, I do it too to learn songs to play.

Theft
You build or buy something, and I take it from you. You have zero, I have one. I have deprived you of one.

Copyright infringement
You build (or buy) something, that you could have monetized by copying and selling a thousand fold. I (and 999 others) make copies, and do not pay you. You have one, I have one. I and 999 others have deprived you of the payment for one thousand.

It's not a victimless crime we're committing here, folks. And our doing it through Youtube is no different from doing it through Youtube-plus-an-audio-extractor.

if you're just watching YT, isn't it YT that is responsible to compensate the IP owner as they are the one distributing the content? If a user plays a YT feed in order to make a surreptitious copy and then retains that copy - that is a difference to just watching YT, no?

I buy music - except for BL-requested live versions that cannot be bought. i'm a smaller sinner. but we are all sinners.

#2921700 - 04/16/18 10:06 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: MotiDave]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I ain't biting the deprive argument.
All these arguments are based on the practices of last 100 years. The next 100 will be different rules.
In a world of tech, which again, I could live without, if we went back to 19th century rules,
the manner composers and musicians make money will change, like it or not.

I was born with a gift... by recording I am whoring out that gift.
I do not like what I just said, but I believe it is a factor in the insanity we face of trying
to survive as a gifted person. I was tempted to record, I did. I was paid usually one time.

In the "good old days", the gifted shared their gifts. Was barter used? I have no idea.
Were there copy right infringement issues? I doubt it.
If I hear a song now, and my musical gift ( ability to recall music ) permits me to play it on a paid gig, you think I am going to share the pittance I make?
Never going to happen.

Let's go back to 19th century , I am game.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (04/16/18 10:14 AM)

#2921712 - 04/16/18 10:52 AM Re: Your go to youtube to mp3 converter, revisited. [Re: MotiDave]
analogika Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: MotiDave
Originally Posted By: Tom Williams

Theft

Copyright infringement

if you're just watching YT, isn't it YT that is responsible to compensate the IP owner as they are the one distributing the content? If a user plays a YT feed in order to make a surreptitious copy and then retains that copy - that is a difference to just watching YT, no?

I buy music - except for BL-requested live versions that cannot be bought. i'm a smaller sinner. but we are all sinners.

If you download it, YT ain't paying squat to anybody for each time you play it afterwards. But yes, YouTube pays per play with all the caveats and stupidity involved with royalties (hah) on streaming models.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner