Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2919972 - 04/08/18 01:35 AM NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I ran across a dead-mint clean used, recent-make Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 for $80.00 in a local store. I wouldn't have known it wasn't brand-new if I hadn't been told. Snag!
(Be sure to use either a 9v battery, or a dedicated (NOT daisy-chained) pin-positive 'reverse-polarity' 9v power-supply, or a reverse-polarity converter/adapter-cable with a dedicated 9v power-supply with these.)

It's a keeper, even though I have several various octave-fuzz pedals. It sounds both crisp and fat, is very responsive to changes in my guitar's volume-controls and my "touch", has a LOT of both gain and output-volume on-tap, and is surprisingly low-noise. Absolutely solid in construction-feel and tone and response; very "pro".

It gets on very well with both my Les Paul and placing a wah in front of it- in this case, a late-model Fulltone Clyde Deluxe with a switchable active buffered output. It also works well with my VFE BumbleBee 'touch-controlled' auto volume-swell/optical-compressor pedal in front of it.

It has a toggle-switch that disengages the octave-fuzz, yielding a particularly rich, powerful, girthy fuzz. For what it's worth, I believe that it employs germanium diodes and silicon transistors, but what matters is that it sounds good, responds well, and so far seems very reliably stable and consistent. (The same can't always be said of various vintage and vintage-style fuzzes, particularly with regard to temperature swings.) When in fuzz/non-octave mode, it reminds me somewhat of the EarthQuaker Devices Erupter Fuzz.

It doesn't 'clean-up' as much or as well as, say, a germanium-transistor Fuzz Face stylee or Treble Booster types, but it does clean-up some with the rolling-back of the guitar's volume-knobs and the adjustment of ones "touch".

If I play oblique-bends or vibratoed double-stops with the octave-fuzz, I can get wonderful squidgy ring-mod sparks around the edges of notes. It sounds great all by itself, OR fed into another distortion pedal or an overdriven/distorted tube-amp, either of which warms, fattens and smooths out the fuzz, while the Octafuzz adds beautiful overtones and grinding character to the overdrive and distortion.

If both controls- Volume and Boost (fuzz/gain) are full-up dimed, chaotic sag, blunted initial attack, and fluid overtone blooming occur, especially when fed into a cranked tube-amp. Not quite as wildly squirrely as the second-generation Dunlop "Octavio" (the later version of their "reissue"/"clone" of a white wedge-cased "Octavio" from a Hendrix museum-display), but also with less noise.

Various degrees of cleaner tones with more octave-up scintillation and tinkle can be dialed-in with less Boost and more Volume, as well as adjustment of the guitar's volume-knobs and one's "touch". The best octave-up tones can be found when playing at the 12th-Fret and above with the neck-pickup and the guitar's tone-control rolled-down or all the way off. Lower fret-positions on the wound-strings tend to sound particularly good with more Boost/fuzz/gain, bringing out more definition and upper-mids.

It should come as no surprise that the Octafuzz OF-2 works well with humbucker-equipped axes; Joe Satriani uses one, perhaps among other Fulltone octave-fuzzes, to great effect.

Here he is deploying an Octafuzz in collaboration with Pat Martino:

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

GP Island
#2920168 - 04/09/18 05:59 AM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Good on you, finding that one, Caevan! I know you love Octave-Fuzz combos the way I love Pitch Shifters!

Got a question, however? This post brings up something I recall from my old Voodoo Lab Proctavia, their version of the original Octavia; I couldn't use it with daisy-chain, even if I swapped out one of the Center Neg barrel tips, for a mini-phone jack tip? Something odd about the way the Octavia circuit was grounded, IIRC, and it seems that many of the clones share this issue.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2920362 - 04/09/18 02:17 PM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Have fun with it amigo.......New gear day is always a good day when it works out..
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2920451 - 04/09/18 10:41 PM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: desertbluesman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
Have fun with it amigo.......New gear day is always a good day when it works out..

Thanks! It's a fine pedal, versatile, and a great variation on the octave-fuzz theme. A very fine, upgraded quality take on the Tycobrahe Octavia. The fuzz without the octave is great, too.

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Good on you, finding that one, Caevan! I know you love Octave-Fuzz combos the way I love Pitch Shifters!

grin thu

Got a question, however? This post brings up something I recall from my old Voodoo Lab Proctavia, their version of the original Octavia; I couldn't use it with daisy-chain, even if I swapped out one of the Center Neg barrel tips, for a mini-phone jack tip? Something odd about the way the Octavia circuit was grounded, IIRC, and it seems that many of the clones share this issue.

Yhup. Like many vintage-Octavia stylees, it's positive-ground, instead of negative-ground (like most electronics); not just reverse-polarity. Don't daisy-chain 'em, not even with a polarity-revering adapter for the power-supply plug-and-jack. A genuinely isolated out from a good power-supply such as the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power line or Strymon Zuma and Ojai would be fine, so long as the reversed Pin-Positive polarity is taken care of with a reverse-polarity adapter-cable.

________

#2920465 - 04/10/18 12:30 AM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Where does he get those WONDERFUL toys?

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/10/18 12:34 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2920466 - 04/10/18 12:38 AM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

grin thu rawk

#2920520 - 04/10/18 07:22 AM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Congrats Caevan! Hope you get many years of good use out of that special pedal! thu

#2920733 - 04/11/18 05:21 AM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Congrats Caevan! Hope you get many years of good use out of that special pedal! thu

Thanks! I'm sure I will; it's a keeper, and probably one that will have a consistant place alongside the Octron on the pedalboard, instead of being occasionally swapped in-and-out as needed, such as the Blue Box, Octave X, and Octavella. (Yeah, I'm nuts for various octave-fuzzes. crazy grin thu ) It's great by itself, AND feeding other buzztortiondrive pedals and tube-amps.

#2920815 - 04/11/18 09:47 AM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
thu

#2920856 - 04/11/18 01:29 PM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I know I'm a sick bastard, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if you had a signal chain of Octave-up devices, one after the other? If they were all clipping the signal as it passed through, like many Dirt boxes, at what point would you wind up with a mosquito-like buzz?

http://www.novparolo.com

#2920921 - 04/11/18 10:22 PM Re: NPD~ Fulltone Octafuzz OF-2 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I know I'm a sick bastard, but I can't help but wonder what would happen if you had a signal chain of Octave-up devices, one after the other? If they were all clipping the signal as it passed through, like many Dirt boxes, at what point would you wind up with a mosquito-like buzz?

I take you as a healthy enough personage of legitimate forebearing, Sir, and I do think that I shall soon undertake this chronic sonic endeavor and see- or, rather, hear- what doth result. I shall line-up my Octron, Octafuzz, Octave X, and Octavella (am I forgetting any octave-up fuzzes that I currently have?), deploy my Les Paul's neck-pickup with its tone-knob rolled off, and 'ave at it. I'll report back, and even provide a clip or vid if I can... 'S gotta at least be good for a laugh. grin

I expect it to be VERY NOISY... ! crazy grin thu

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose