Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2919595 - 04/06/18 07:16 AM I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars
CEB Offline
10k Club

My interest are becoming more and more centered on acoustic instruments. I wonder if it is an age thing or just the nature of the work environment .... lower stage levels, In Ear Monitors, etc....

Something my collection lacks is a good traditional steel string acoustic. My one steel string is an Ovation I used on the road in the 80s. It worked great through PAs compared to other guitars at the time but it is difficult to play sitting.

I like slotted headstock tuners. I think I want a smaller body guitar like a parlor. I'm mainly a finger picking stylist and I think the smaller guitar would be easier to play in front of the computer where I do most my work at home.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

GP Island
#2919645 - 04/06/18 09:59 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: CEB]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I have a Takamine New Yorker steel string Parlor acoustic/electric with slotted head stock, that I enjoy playing and a Taylor steel string acoustic/electric. Both of them get a lot of use... thu

#2919794 - 04/06/18 10:31 PM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: CEB]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: CEB
My interest are becoming more and more centered on acoustic instruments. I wonder if it is an age thing or just the nature of the work environment .... lower stage levels, In Ear Monitors, etc....

Something my collection lacks is a good traditional steel string acoustic. My one steel string is an Ovation I used on the road in the 80s. It worked great through PAs compared to other guitars at the time but it is difficult to play sitting.

I like slotted headstock tuners. I think I want a smaller body guitar like a parlor. I'm mainly a finger picking stylist and I think the smaller guitar would be easier to play in front of the computer where I do most my work at home.

I think it's just that... you like acoustic instruments, vintage-style parlor guitars, and playing fingerstyle. What's not to like? Pick and choose. (Pun intended. wink thu )

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2919808 - 04/07/18 01:37 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I am constantly tempted by acoustic instruments, but I keep getting distracted by electric gear!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2919820 - 04/07/18 04:49 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Well, as most know, all I have are acoustic( TWO only ). A six string and a 12.

Slotted headstocks don't either interest nor matter much to me. And I've found that most "parlor" style acoustics do have slotted headstocks. And MARTIN makes some good ones( WILLIE NELSON got a LOT of use out of HIS! wink ).

There's a time and place for anything, and acoustics certainly do have their place( easier to hear around a campfire, if camping where no electrical outlets are found) as well as electrics. So it does boil down to personal preference and particular interest and use.
Whitefang

#2919840 - 04/07/18 06:33 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: whitefang]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I may have stumbled on the answer of an old question of mine. When I was young I taught guitar at a store who was a Takamine dealer. Takamine came out with a great line of electrics that reminded of what later became PRS. But then they disappeared. They went back to just acoustic guitars. Maybe they became ESPs?

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2919980 - 04/08/18 04:07 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: CEB]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I don't think so. I think Takamine just gave up making solid body electrics. But it piqued my curiosity, and I found this:

n 1975, Hisatake Shibuya opened a shop called Electric Sound Products (ESP) in Tokyo, which provided custom replacement parts for guitars and quickly gained a reputation for the high-quality of these replacement parts. At this time, ESP also began crafting guitars under the ESP and Navigator brand in the Japanese market.[citation needed] Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones and Akira Takasaki were users of these guitars.[citation needed]

ESP replacement parts were first introduced into the US in 1983 and began crafting custom instruments for local New York artists between 1984 and '85. Among these artists were Page Hamilton (Helmet), Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Vinnie Vincent and Bruce Kulick (KISS), and Ronnie Wood (The Rolling Stones). At this time, ESP also introduced the 400 Series as the first production line to be distributed in the US.

During this same period, ESP began making the bodies and necks for Kramer Guitars and other manufacturers were using ESP as an OEM such as Robin Guitars, Schecter Guitar Research and DiMarzio. Many traits of the Kramer line are still visible including neck construction and body bevels. ESP tooled up for Tom Anderson's shaved bolt on neck heel on the Schecter bodies and this has since become a feature of their house brand.

Actually, I've never HEARD of Takamine until the later '90's, and in looking up all this was surprisd they've been making guitars since 1962! shocked

I personally don't care for Takamines, but that doesn't mean I think they're no good( it's a playabitlity thing for me wink ) and so it's NO WONDER "big time" U.S. makers started having their stuff made over there as well. wink
Whitefang

#2920012 - 04/08/18 08:06 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

My buddy had a Takamine back in the 70's then he went to Ovation. The Takamine sounded very nice, probably better than the Ovation IIRC, but had no electronics. Another buddy has been playing Takamine 12 strings since day one. I'll remember to ask him when he bought his oldest one. He has about 4 or 5 of them. I have never played an easier playing 12 than the ones he has...my son-n-law liked his 12's so much that he found a used one. My 6 string parlor Takamine, was made in Japan and is also an easy player... cool

#2920152 - 04/09/18 04:46 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I'm on the fence as far as Ovation goes. The ones I tried out in sores really didn't sound all that good( kinda "tinny"), and now that round back of theirs would compete too much with my round front( grin ), so I'll pass. wink

But the Takamines I've tried were similar models to what you see them country boys playing, with those ugly( IMO) cutaways, and something about them I found uncomfortable in playing them. I suppose there's many who feel the same about many other guitars out there that too, many people like.
Whitefang

#2920208 - 04/09/18 07:46 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

My buddy loved his Ovation and probably still has it. The volume pot needs to be replaced, but other than that it is good sounding. I can't play it without a strap even when sitting down as it has that big plastic turtle body. His is not the cutaway model. circa '72 +/-...

Later in life I bought my daughter her 1st guitar as she was taking lessons in college. It was an Ovation with the cutaway, slim downed version body, and those drill hole sound holes with decorative wood leaves...her teach thought it was very cool for a 1st guitar and told her that her dad had good taste! She still has it and it still plays very good...circa '98...

so, I can safely say that they hold up pretty well over the years... cool

#2920289 - 04/09/18 11:31 AM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: CEB]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: CEB
My interest are becoming more and more centered on acoustic instruments...

When I first read this I thought I couldn't contribute any new perspective. I'm still not sure I can because my initial thought was Martin guitars since I don't know of any guitar that has a better overall tone, shape, weight and feel. However, I checked with my local acoustic store (Fret Mill) and ran across Bedell guitars. I knew nothing about them but the store had a 1964 Bedell available. Wow! What a great sounding parlor size.

is an

#2923184 - Yesterday at 03:24 PM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: DocPate]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've been on an acoustic craze for years now -- I'm so burnt out on synthesizers especially, but short-scale electric guitars as well.

I like having a variety of them, and still aim to get two more eventually, to flesh out my collections of shapes, sizes, and woods.

If you only have one though, I highly deprecate the "obvious" choice of a dreadnought, as they are almost inevitably boomy and thus unmanageable in the studio and unbalanced in the mix.

It took 35 years and six buys before I finally settled on a dreadnought that I think I can live with. The Eastman E10D is pretty close to a GE version of the Martin D18, and I feel the Red Spruce top and Mahogany body are about the only wood combination capable of a balanced sound on a dread.

I always remind myself of how these instruments came into being, in the age before electronics and when they were competing to be heard over big bands, banjos, mandolins, etc. It was never about ideal expression or versatility but about sheer stage volume.

As I play many styles, I find it best to use different guitars for each, and lately I have done a lot of research and listening regarding string choices and bought a whole slew of different string types that I plan to swap out very soon on different models (e.g. monel, silk, etc.).

As an all-rounder though, I think it's hard to beat an OM or "000" (usually they amount to the same thing), if you switch between finger-style and plectrum playing. Mine is a Martin OM-28 VTS (torrefied Red Spruce top) with Rosewood, the latter being a wood that I am cautious about due to the "boom factor" but this is mitigated by the Red Spruce and the waist shape of an OM vs. a dreadnought.

I also have that wood combination on a parlour "0" size from Eastman, which reminds me a bit of an old Gibson "0" or "00" and is also quite versatile.

The Nick Drake model from Guild, an all-mahogany Made in the USA M-20, is smaller still, and has an amazing dynamic range and expressive scope. It too could serve as an all-purpose guitar.

For more rock-oriented work, heavy playing, even celtic style, I dig the Gibson jumbo series, which I bought in bubinga vs. maple as it tames it a bit while still keeping the big/wide/open sound where each string can be heard distinctly.

Acoustic instruments are each unique, even for the same model. It's hard for me to love an assembly line electric instrument as much.

#2923185 - Yesterday at 03:33 PM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I've never liked dreadnoughts. To me it's an ungainly shape, plus the boominess thing. As a recording engineer they've never recorded quite like I want to hear an acoustic. Thus far I'm preferring the grand auditorium or jumbo shapes, but in the slightly smaller size that Taylor makes. And with cedar tops. But I've never really had a completely comfortable acoustic, one that fits as well as a good archtop electric, for me. Partly it's string tension & action. I just can't hang with anything thicker than .010s, whether on electric or acoustic, & I just fumble around aimlessly with the higher action typical on so many acoustics.

#2923225 - Yesterday at 08:22 PM Re: I'm more into acoustic instruments & Parlor Guitars [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
I've never liked dreadnoughts. To me it's an ungainly shape, plus the boominess thing. As a recording engineer they've never recorded quite like I want to hear an acoustic. Thus far I'm preferring the grand auditorium or jumbo shapes, but in the slightly smaller size that Taylor makes. And with cedar tops. But I've never really had a completely comfortable acoustic, one that fits as well as a good archtop electric, for me. Partly it's string tension & action. I just can't hang with anything thicker than .010s, whether on electric or acoustic, & I just fumble around aimlessly with the higher action typical on so many acoustics.

Personally, I love dreadnoughts and jumbos, even though I play fingerstyle. I also love cedar-topped flat-tops. And I also love heavier strings! 11's on a Les Paul, 13's or 14's on an acoustic... 'S just me.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose