Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2918628 - 04/01/18 07:06 PM Favourite Reverb Plugins?
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm trying trials of reverb plugins, looking for a nice all round choice. Sparkverb, Relab Development, Waves Abby Road Plates and a few others. I have Valahalla Vintage Verb. Anyone have favourites I should look at?

KC Island
#2918640 - 04/01/18 07:44 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Michael Wright]
Ed A. Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Connecticut,USA
I like ChromaVerb in Logic Pro 10.4.

#2918674 - 04/01/18 11:28 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Ed A.]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Ah Thanks for that chromaverb. Have not used it yer. I always have a hard time getting the right sound with space designer, probably because of my lack of skills;)

#2918696 - 04/02/18 05:00 AM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: RudyS]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
At the top of my list - HD Cart
https://www.reverbfoundry.com/

Edited by Mike Martin (04/02/18 05:00 AM)

#2918717 - 04/02/18 07:24 AM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Mike Martin]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
If you like the sound of Lexicon algorithmic verbs (used in studios for decades but there is a certain sound to them) then I've heard great things about the software versions (PCM iirc is one suite). Very expensive though...from demos I've tried, the Valhalla stuff sounds very good to me.

I also have struggled with Space Designer's sound, but that's probably the IRs that come with it (and I doubt I've tried them all). I "grew up" with algorithmic verbs and the real room IRs don't have that same sound for better or worse, and of course you can't just grab a knob and change the size of the room smile There are some free bricasti IRs of the Lexicon algorithmic units (which is an odd concept!) that sound pretty good, when I use SD I often use these.

I haven't tried Chromaverb yet, haven't been sitting down at my computer for a bit now (darn aquarium hobby has sucked me back in, always nice to have TWO hobbies to suck your time and money away! :D).

#2918743 - 04/02/18 10:19 AM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Mike Martin]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mike Martin
At the top of my list - HD Cart
https://www.reverbfoundry.com/
Ooooo! That sounds nice Mike!

#2918763 - 04/02/18 11:26 AM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Michael Wright]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Agreed on HD Cart for a top algorithmic reverb. High density and smooooth. Absolutely love it.

The only convolution reverb that gets me excited is VSL MIR, especially when used with the VSL orchestral instruments. With this reverb, you're placing the instrument in a location on the soundstage, with controls over width for stereo sounds. It's absolutely transformative. The affordable MIRx option is great and a must-have for any VSL user who can't afford the full MIR. Otherwise, convolution reverbs often come off as limp, IMO.

Investing in good reverbs is money very well spent, IMO.

Busch.

#2918766 - 04/02/18 11:42 AM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: burningbusch]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
Investing in good reverbs is money very well spent, IMO.
Busch.
That gui is great! hmm I gots me lots more to learn. Thanks Busch! http://brian-doyle.com/2011/10/28/convolution-vs-algorithmic-reverbs/

#2918815 - 04/02/18 03:48 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Michael Wright]
dazzjazz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney
I love Abbey Rd Plates - instant vibe!

#2918846 - 04/02/18 07:03 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Stokely]
Ed A. Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Connecticut,USA
Originally Posted By: Stokely

I also have struggled with Space Designer's sound, but that's probably the IRs that come with it (and I doubt I've tried them all). I "grew up" with algorithmic verbs and the real room IRs don't have that same sound for better or worse, and of course you can't just grab a knob and change the size of the room

The IRs that come with Space Designer are not the best, IMO.
The new version of Space Designer in Logic Pro 10.4 actually does allow you to change reverb length and size.
Here's a link to the Bricasti M7 hardware reverb IRs you mentioned, they do sound really good:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61149#p374497

#2918872 - 04/02/18 10:15 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Ed A.]
RD57 Offline

Try Fabfilter Pro-R. The Eq stuff is great. You can dial in the reverb sound faster than most and move on. I wasted so much time messing with all the parameters of other reverb plugs.Fabfilter makes great plugs and continues to support older OS like Snow Leopard. I hope they put out a dynamic EQ

#2918988 - 04/03/18 01:14 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: RD57]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I own MIR but haven't got my head wrapped around it yet so have been spending more time with VSL's Convolution and Hybrid reverbs as well as more basic entry-level variants of MIR until I can work my way up to the more sophisticated usage of full-on MIR pro.

I now use Altiverb mostly for ambience, and Eventide's UltraVerb for most Plate Reverb needs.

#2919004 - 04/03/18 02:34 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
I can't help but be a big fan of HD Cart. thu

I also use LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven, because it's as close to my beloved Bricasti M7 as I can get with a plug-in.

I quite like the Valhalla plugs as well.

dB

Note: anyone considering HD Cart, go ahead and download the demo now...but you might want to wait until the middle of the month or so if you decide to buy it.

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2919030 - 04/03/18 04:44 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce

WOW, dB, Linwood Bell, and Steve Nathan all digging this. I was in the dark. Now I've seen the light. Thanks. smile

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2919033 - 04/03/18 04:53 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: davedoerfler]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

WOW, dB, Linwood Bell, and Steve Nathan all digging this.

To be clear: HD Cart is by Reverb Foundry - one of the companies with which I have a professional affiliation (see below in my sig). idea

Regardless, it's a ridiculously cool 'verb, and there's really nothing quite like it.

Check it out: the hardware Lexicon 480L has two stereo ins, two main stereo outs and two aux stereo outs. It has four processors (machines) inside it that can run in a variety of configurations. The only stock config that used all four processors did so in a SPLIT configuration - each input was routed to one of the two stereo pairs, essentially turning the 480L into two separate processors, both mono in and stereo out - unless you had a rare expansion cartridge Lexicon made called HD/Surround Cart.

What the HD/Surround algorithm/programs did was to combine all four processors into a single unit, harnessing all the power of the 480L - the only configurations to do so. The inputs were stereo, and the four outputs could then be used in either a “quadraphonic” front/back configuration....or, there was this way cool HD mode which stacked the four output channels to the main stereo outs - 1 and 3 to L, 2 and 4 to R - essentially layering the reverbs (including the earlies!!!), and unlocking the ability to do things with reverb unlike any other processor at the time…really lush, with a ton of motion and character.

HD CART faithfully emulates the 480L in this configuration.

Craig Anderton did the official demo video:

Mitch Gallagher did a pretty in-depth review of it.

dB
Reverb Foundry

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2919061 - 04/03/18 07:25 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Michael Wright]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
WOW, dB, Linwood Bell, and Steve Nathan all digging this.

Yeah, I love that verb, and I know me and Linwood don't lie about a thing like that wink
J.K. DB laugh
DB turned me on to it, and those plates are gorgeous. I use them or the EMTs from UAD most of the time. I also use a lesser known and more boutique one from PSP often, cause it gets sounds that are different but creative in a cool way.
Also an EMT emulation, their 2445. I've got lots more, but those are my most used. Oh, almost forgot, also specialized, but I always use some PSP PianoVerbII on Piano Samples. Killer for authenticity.

www.stevenathanmusic.com
www.nashvillemusiciansforpensionsecurity.com

#2921654 - 04/16/18 07:32 AM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Dave Bryce]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Note: anyone considering HD Cart, go ahead and download the demo now...but you might want to wait until the middle of the month or so if you decide to buy it.

On sale for the rest of April. 35% off.

dB
Reverb Foundry

#2921743 - 04/16/18 01:39 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Dave Bryce]
Ulf Offline

dB

Thanks for the heads up!

#2921747 - 04/16/18 01:49 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Ulf]
linwood Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Las Vegas,NV,UNITED STATES
Ever since I got it, it's my "go to". Great sounding plugin!

#2921750 - 04/16/18 02:07 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: linwood]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Quote:

An iLok 2 or 3 hardware dongle, or iLok local activation is required to run HD Cart.

Due to an update of iLok technology you may need to synchronise your iLok in iLok License Manager to run the new version.

Does this mean I can activate locally even if I only have an iLok 1? I do run the latest version of License Manager, I think.

#2921753 - 04/16/18 02:20 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: zephonic]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: zephonic
Quote:

An iLok 2 or 3 hardware dongle, or iLok local activation is required to run HD Cart.

Due to an update of iLok technology you may need to synchronise your iLok in iLok License Manager to run the new version.

Does this mean I can activate locally even if I only have an iLok 1? I do run the latest version of License Manager, I think.

Yes. You can authorize the plug without a dongle if you have License Manager. Two installs per download.

dB
Reverb Foundry

#2921785 - 04/16/18 04:23 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Dave Bryce]
Fleer Offline

Zynaptiq Adaptiverb. And FabFilter Pro-R.

#2921790 - 04/16/18 05:03 PM Re: Favourite Reverb Plugins? [Re: Dave Bryce]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

dB
Reverb Foundry
Thanks for letting us know dB!!

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner