Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Yes

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

No, 4.25 is the latest final version.

It's out since April and running very stable

and sounds great!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Don't know, but why do you care? If that sequence of startup works 100% of the time does it really matter? Just follow that sequence. It might be that is what is normal for your 15+ year old BX3 and has nothing to do with your HX3.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Had a few days with HX3. Sounds great, chorus needs some adjustment. It's on factory at the moment, and I would say it's not any better than the KeyB Duo Mk1 from 2008 I had, in its current factory state. Not a bad thing. But I'd expect to be able to get closer to my C3, if I could be bothered to sit in a cold garage side by side with them.

Had a few days with HX3. Sounds great, chorus needs some adjustment. It's on factory at the moment, and I would say it's not any better than the KeyB Duo Mk1 from 2008 I had, in its current factory state. Not a bad thing. But I'd expect to be able to get closer to my C3, if I could be bothered to sit in a cold garage side by side with them.

A UHL X3 would save you the sitting in the cold garage!

Yamaha CP1 UHL X3-2 QSC K10's

Interesting, in your post about this (1 page back) one of your specific questions was chorus. This is why I recommended the Gemini over the HX3. The Gemini chorus is great right out of the box, the best I've heard on any clone. Instead you opted for the less than optimal HX3 chorus that you'll be tweaking to get right for three months..... SMH ...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Had to look up what smh meant. Is it 'so much hate' or 'shake my head'

Like all of them, they are good enough, happy to take the upgrade on the BX3 and happy not to purchase a Crumar product

You may think the chorus is great out of the Gemini box, I may not have the same opinion. A lot of people think tne HX3 is 'great out of the box", I may disagree. Opinions are like.....well you know the rest.

That's rather a precise tweak time you have given me.

When I asked about the switch on procedure being normal, your first two words were "Don't know", but then carried on anyway. Any need to have even replied?

Don't shake your head too much, concussion is a serious risk.

Don't have any experience with the HX3 but lots of experience with midi and software.

So the power up sequence for the HX3 requires the controller to be on first so the HX3 can sense it, identify the type of controller and configure itself for it as part of the HX3 boot sequence.

If the HX3 doesn't sense the type of controller if the HX3 is powered up first then that just means the HX3 is not "plug and play", although I guess you could go into the HX3 settings and select the connected controller.

No big deal as Dave said, keep to the power on sequence of controller first then HX3 and all good.

No different to the recommended sequence for booting a board, mixer and powered speaker.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

The chorus at the moment sounds more like my friends 1950's B3, once again not a bad thing, but having used an early 70's C3 for 20 years, there's more going on with the chorus than the B3 my friend has. Other than that tne tone is really good, better than the KeyB, the C2D I owned the last ten years. Running it through a Speakeasy preamp into a 145 which will be my gig rig.

Had to look up what smh meant. Is it 'so much hate' or 'shake my head'

Like all of them, they are good enough, happy to take the upgrade on the BX3 and happy not to purchase a Crumar product

You may think the chorus is great out of the Gemini box, I may not have the same opinion. A lot of people think tne HX3 is 'great out of the box", I may disagree. Opinions are like.....well you know the rest.

That's rather a precise tweak time you have given me.

When I asked about the switch on procedure being normal, your first two words were "Don't know", but then carried on anyway. Any need to have even replied?

Don't shake your head too much, concussion is a serious risk.

If you're going to quote me then fully quote me. I don't know the answer because, as I said in my quote, it could be the HX3 being the reason there needs to be a specific order, OR, it could be the BX3 needs to be turned on first, not sure. But the fact that you had a procedure that worked the question doesn't seem relevant given the BX3 is in the mix and it could be that driving it. Turns out it was neither one. Even Markay said this: "..No big deal as Dave said, keep to the power on sequence of controller first then HX3 and all good.

No different to the recommended sequence for booting a board, mixer and powered speaker..."

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Instead you opted for the less than optimal HX3 chorus that you'll be tweaking to get right for three months..... SMH ...

Says someone who opted for a less than optimal Voce V5 which has a useless Chorus....

;-)

another half quoter.... I also said it wasn't optimal but better than the XM2's which was awful which is why I kept the Voce and scrapped the XM2. And the Voce's chorus is not useless, the xm2's is useless though. What I actually opted for was the Gemini module ......

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 4 months later...

Thats was a fun demo.

Traditionalist with taser and good feet.

So is that an A100 and HX-3 sharing parts?

His expression controlled both sources so had either had 2 x separate on one both. Hard to tell as they follow each other a lot.

Bet hes got a fun gig.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

soon as I have budget to spare.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Glad this thread is open again... I have had my ( latest) HX3 for about a year now, and there is a lot to like about it.

The CV adjustments nearly drove me crazy! I am glad I now have a Viscount Legend Live with no CV adjustment.

The HX3 CV ( 4.22 BTW) is good but I still think that the upper register could stand an update. Playback source is crucial but through some playback sources the vibrato " throb" is still too intense - starting around the highest " A" note through the highest " C".

The thing that separates the Mojo and the Legend is that there is none of this.

I do not have 4.25, not sure if that addresses this issue and I am also not sure that I am not the only one who notices this. The CV in the midrange is fine.

The thing I like about the HX3 and that makes me want to keep it is the clarity. The leslie sim is also excellent, but I still use CV alone the most - with no sim.

I would love to communicate this CV issue with some of the designers. Perhaps it can be resolved in my case. Tom at Diversi doesn't seem to get it... I have discussed it with him several times.

I am thinking of doing dual manual with HX3 lower and Legend Live upper manual. Best of both worlds....

I use the Scope XITE-1 because for years you can use the SDK and tweak, create the synths, FX, Dynamics and mixers to your Hearts content.

Keyboard should release an SDK so everyone gets exactly what they want.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I agree the HX3 works pretty well in a live context. Speaker selection and volume level have a lot to do with tone and response.

I have said many times - with clonewheels I generally like to use a full range speaker without a high frequency driver in the Mix.

With something like the EV Force 12'' ( somewhat of a classic I suppose) I get all the frequencies with none of the shrillness.

In an ideal situation, some EQing would be nice but in the real world, most of the time its just plug in and play.

The easiest thing to do is just plug into something like a powered monitor. For clonewheel 9 times out of 10 I will throw a t shirt over the horn, and see if I can't get what I need out of just the woofer.

That's why percussion volume control on the Legend Live is so neat. On the HX3 the percussion volume is deep into the edit screen, but adjustment is do-able.

The HX3 is a handy little thing to have. I can get a good practice session out of it using a cheap old Casio as a controller, using presets. Or I can add it to a board like anything Yamaha that has crappy organs and get a variety of organ sounds scrolling through presets.

I am finding that there is another way to smooth out the CV on the HX3.

Back the drawbars off from 888000000 to 777000000 or even 666000000. Then adjust percussion volume accordingly.

This takes care of the " throb" issue in the upper octave. It sounds relatively similar but pulling those bars out all the way on the HX3 creates a problem in the CV to my ear.

I do this all the time on my B-3, to increase the bass. I don't know why I didn't think it might affect the CV in the HX3 but it does. It smooths out those upper octave issues.

The HX3 CV is starting to sound pretty good. It only took me about a year....

Throbert, I'm completely confused.

Are you saying you are going to jumper pins from input to output midi jacks?

Doesn't sound right to me either. Even if you are only talking about normally unused pins that you want to use to carry power, the founding principle of midi was that the inputs are optically isolated, no? I don't know how all this would work.

Moe

---

Throber-

What is the controller you are referring to? Until I know that , I am not sure what this is about...

I had a friend who used to get Hammonds and then immediately start to tear them apart.A few times he got things to work ( like adding percussion to a Hammond model H) but in the end, all he had was a Hammond junkyard.

And on gigs , he really used to p..s people off because he had to do an individual - most of the time loud- soundcheck on his new " creations".

One time I watched him tear apart a very low serial number 1937 Model BC.I checked the Hammond age list and only a few people like Sal Azzerelli had older instruments than this. It should have been in a museum.

Fortunately, I rescued my model 30A Leslie from him - which had been paired with the BC.

He seemed to think that any Hammond that didn't have percussion or any leslie that didn't have two speeds was basically worthless or should be " modified".

For now, I am content to noodle on my HX3 or Viscount Legend solo in my backyard. The weather should be nice for the next 6 months or so in Oregon...

The HX3 module supplies power to the drawbar controller on pins 1,2 and 3. Pins 1 an 3 are normally

not used for MIDI data. Pins 1 an 3 are +VDC pin 2 is shield ground or -VDC. The HX3 modules in/out

port would be configured via jumpers as an out port, so both the drawbar controller and the module

would be sending data to the MIDI interface input.Tom at Diversi sent my diagrams to Christian at

Keyboard Partner

Date: Friday, March 30, 2018 at 6:31 AM

To: Administrator

Subject: Re: FW: Jumpers on PL10

Hello Tom,

this wiring should work. There's only one small mistake (which doesn't matter so much): Pin 2 of the

MIDI Interface INPUT should not be wired to ground. According to MIDI Standard only outputs are

wired to ground.

Regards

Christian

So with Christians correction it comes out like this:

NUIwrYO.jpg

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net