Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

From the 2 manual, it appears that you can modify amount or other effect parameters with the modulation stick, or something like that.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Stick 2's settings include Off, Sound (usually vibrato), FX1, or FX2 for Upper and/or Lower. There's also an Automatic setting in Global. I'm not sure how it works, but seems to nearly always adjust what I want it to. It must take cue from the last effect activated or some kind of hierarchy logarithm. Whatever, I like it.

From the 2 manual, it appears that you can modify amount or other effect parameters with the modulation stick, or something like that.

Ah yes, you can modify effects with the stick. As Brenner indicated, you can set the modulation stick to either automatically do what Numa thinks best, or you can manually decide how you want the stick assigned (for example, to just the upper or just the lower sound). The stick can do different things depending on which effect you've selected from the front panel (i.e. if you select the Delay effect, the stick can control the rate of the echo).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As Brenner indicated, you can set the modulation stick to either automatically do what Numa thinks best, or you can manually decide how you want the stick assigned (for example, to just the upper or just the lower sound).

On a per program basis?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

As Brenner indicated, you can set the modulation stick to either automatically do what Numa thinks best, or you can manually decide how you want the stick assigned (for example, to just the upper or just the lower sound).

On a per program basis?

If you're setting up the behavior manually, it is on a per-program basis.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Liked the basic sound and editability. Leslie sim seems pretty decent too. But... NO OVERDRIVE?

Finally New Organ Demo for the 2x:

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Oh Yes, that's why I was bummed, it was not shown in the demo. Odd drawbar choices, too. But, again the basic tone, perc, CV and leslie sim are pertty decent to say the least.

"Drive" is the first effect on FX1. Again it is very touchy; a quarter-turn of the dial or less is plenty for organ; and I LIKE a crunchy tone.

edit:

Ya, too bad the demo didn't show it

The drive in the Numa Organ and Numa Organ 2 are both much better than the drive in the Numa Compact 2. I hope they may have improved the drive from the NC2 to the NC2X.

Also MIA in the demo is any indication of leakage, which was quite good in the original Numa Organ (not so good in the 2), I wonder if it's been implemented at all.

I also wonder if they've implemented the ability to toggle rotary speed with a footswitch.

Looking forward to know about all those things too. What about the leslie sim on that video, AnotherScott? How do you compare to the Numa Organ?

The drive in the Numa Organ and Numa Organ 2 are both much better than the drive in the Numa Compact 2. I hope they may have improved the drive from the NC2 to the NC2X.

Also MIA in the demo is any indication of leakage, which was quite good in the original Numa Organ (not so good in the 2), I wonder if it's been implemented at all.

I also wonder if they've implemented the ability to toggle rotary speed with a footswitch.

• 4 weeks later...
Looking fwd to demoing one of these as I would prefer to take something like this to a weekly jam than to haul the Fantom X6.

Absolutely. At this price point it looks like a no-brainer for a practice board.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I just preordered one from SW. This may be the answer to my lightweight controller search.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I just preordered one from SW. this may be the answer to my lightweight controller search.

I already have one on pre-order as well. As stated before, it is a virtual no-brainer as both a digital IOS app controller and rehearsal board, as well as being a viable top tier board for both gigging and jams. Also at this price I can afford to add an HX3 later should I later deem it necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Just saw two shipping dates from GC and Musicans Friend. May 31 and June 7

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

There's still little info on how they are implementing the sledge-like synth engine.

I'm also wondering how the two-way audio over USB will work, and if incoming audio can be routed to the TS Outs. If so, just stick an iphone loaded with Syntronik (or synth of choice) on top via a camera connection kit and you've expanded the synth capabilities and sound palette manifold.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

If so, just stick an iphone loaded with Syntronik (or synth of choice) on top via a camera connection kit and you've expanded the synth capabilities and sound palette manifold.

In the Synth Anatomy video on Youtube (

), the iPad connected to the Compact 2x is running Syntronik. It's connected using the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, but can't tell much more than that.

So my Sweetwater sales person just called me and said that their first shipment will be in next Friday... I asked Are you sure? And he said Yes! Thats what it says right here!

Whoa! But... no aditional demos yet...

So my Sweetwater sales person just called me and said that their first shipment will be in next Friday... I asked Are you sure? And he said Yes! Thats what it says right here!

That's the older one, not the 2x... the sampled sounds (pianos, e-pianos, etc) are the same... but we got almost nothing on the new organ and synth engines that are exclusive to the 2x...

That's the older one, not the 2x... the sampled sounds (pianos, e-pianos, etc) are the same... but we got almost nothing on the new organ and synth engines that are exclusive to the 2x...

Has it been confirmed that there is no upgrade of the pianos, e-pianos?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Has it been confirmed that there is no upgrade of the pianos, e-pianos?

Only to the extent that the web site lists the new features (sliders, organ engine, synth engine), and doesn't say anything about upgrades to any of the existing sounds, which they'd probably mention, so presumably not. (Both models have 1 GB of sample memory.)

You can learn a lot from seeing close up pictures. One that I saw shows which synth parameters are controlled by the drawbars when it's in synth mode. I bought a Compact 2 only about six months ago. When I saw the 2X, I decided to donate my board to my church, and now I'm waiting for Sweetwater to get theirs in. If I knew how to post the picture I'd put it in here.