Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

I will order one too as soon as they are available. I'll do what I can to support Crumar and I absolutely love the vibe of the Seven. My first new keyboard purchase was a Rhodes Stage 73 and I gigged with it for decades before trading it away ( stupid! ). The Seven looks to me like it captures what I loved about my Rhodes and so much more. I'm in!

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. I lugged around a 73 for a few years and loved the sound but hated the action weight and bulk. The Seven addresses all of these issues but still has that magic and I'm liking the colored knobs giving you an idea of where things are at.

I totally agree that Crumar is killing it.

Similar legs and power cord as my Howard Combo organ

I thought I was the only one who had one of those!!

And I have to say that Seven is one seriously farking gorgeous board. It looks like a musical instrument.

Here for the gear.

I have the Howard Combo and the Baldwin Professional Custom amp. Both units working, I still use the amp for guitars.

http://www.combo-organ.com/Baldwin/HowardFlyer1.jpg

Love the ad: "...it's portable, just 64 pounds..."

Everything packs up inside the top of the case:

http://www.combo-organ.com/Baldwin/HowardC.jpg

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

GAS Alert !

[video:youtube]

Two things I noticed - 1) There's more stuff inside??? :laugh:

2) NO POWER ADAPTER! For once a company doesn't require an external adapter and no one seems to be talking about that??? IOW, you guys just like to complain. :poke:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Can we assume the FM Brass and pad patches are samples?

Guido said earlier in this thread the 6 operator FM synth is specifically for generating the DX epiano.

Is there a manual yet?

What samples are shipping in this instrument along with the modeling engines?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Guido said earlier in this thread the 6 operator FM synth is specifically for generating the DX epiano.

Is there a manual yet?

Sounds in FM synthesis and PAD are not sampled. Yes, manual is available to download in our web pages, here you will find details about physical modeling sounds and sampled sounds.

www.crumar.it

info@crumar.it

I've been really into the videos and am enjoying them. I like the whole vibe of this a lot and would probably love to own one.

I'm not buying one because I don't see this as replacing anything I already have. The Forte 7 fills that spot for me, with a TP/40 action, better APs, incredible EPs/Clavs (I have the new Dave Weiser sounds and the Purgatory Creek samples), plus KB3 organ and VAST synth onboard.

I'm not intending this to be a comparison between Seven and Forte, because they are not competing products or prices, but I see this as a great, hip and sweet sounding instrument with a great vibe and playing experience that I don't need.

I think if I was going to grab something like this to keep at home and not gig with, I'd probably just get another Fender Rhodes Stage 73 at that price, which, again, is not the market they're after.

Kudos to Guido and Andrea -- they are building awesome products at Crumar/GSI. I am following them closely, I just haven't found the right product of theirs to pull the trigger on and buy for my needs yet.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Is there a manual yet?

Sounds in FM synthesis and PAD are not sampled. Yes, manual is available to download in our web pages, here you will find details about physical modeling sounds and sampled sounds.

OK, I better understand what Guido meant in his reply and quote from the manual.

The 6 Operator synth provides:

...the FM synth inside the Seven (and Gemini) was made to recreate only the E.PIANO1 patch, that uses DX7's algorithm n.5. The other 8 variations are different uses of the same algorithm.

A quote from the manual:

"This instrument has only one parameter, which offers 9 variations of sound using the same algorithm, among which we also find an

organ, a brass section, a bass and a marimba, of course all with that FM taste that is not actually focused at realism."

...I think if I was going to grab something like this to keep at home and not gig with, I'd probably just get another Fender Rhodes Stage 73 at that price, which, again, is not the market they're after...

True, in the US it is possible to pick up the real thing, or even a modern incarnation like the Vintage Vibe Electric Piano. However, there are some benefits to this being a digital instrument (even if they didn't take advantage of everything about digital - like the Forte or similar does). The Seven does offer models of pretty much all the electric pianos of the past that would take up an entire room of your house and all would require maintenance. It does Rhodes, Wurly, and CP70 - plus bonus DX, MKS, Acoustic Piano, and anything is possible to be added later via the Sample Player. It looks, feels and operates like an analog but it isn't. If it really sounds good, it's tempting to ditch the analog and get a room in your house back.

I still wish they had put the TP-40 in it - but I realize it would be heavy.

Had they done this - it would be pretty killer with a Kronos 61 on top.

Or even better - a Forte 61k or 76k synth action - whenever that version might appear.

Yeah, it would probably bring the 51.8 lbs (with cover/legs) up over 60 lbs. And the 33 of the unit itself to over 40. But it was also interesting to hear the perspective that the TP-100 could actually be better for Rhodes emulation, which is its focus.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, it would probably bring the 51.8 lbs (with cover/legs) up over 60 lbs. And the 33 of the unit itself to over 40. But it was also interesting to hear the perspective that the TP-100 could actually be better for Rhodes emulation, which is its focus.

Yeah, caseless the Yamaha CP1 is 60lbs. That's another one that would have stayed home.

The SL88 Grand w/ TP40W is 45.8lbs with 88keys

Forte 7 is 41.4lbs with TP-40L, 88k version is is 48lbs both minus case.

It's obvious from the design that Crumar really wanted us to consider gigging with the Seven. Would be fun to see them issue other sizes like Fender Rhodes (a keyboard bass model!?) and Yamaha CP. Maybe the 88k version can have the TP-40W. ;)

And way overpriced - especially those that need a significant bit of rehab. I'd love to refurbish an old Rhodes...I'd put the money into new components, but only if I could find a throw-away, or exceedingly cheap fixer-upper. Even complete wrecks seem to fetch a pretty penny. No thanks.

In the unboxing vid, the Seven seems to be a bit smaller than I thought. Seems much more manageable than I assumed.

Aidan,

That's what they said about the transistor organs too. Now we have Korg cranking out the Vox.

While it's true DX7 pianos have been run into the ground to the point of being an 80's ballad cliche, it's also true that it is a beautiful sound with a warmth and level of expression not common in a patch. The Seven's FM piano is alive, a living breathing beast. Not canned corniness.

And way overpriced - especially those that need a significant bit of rehab. I'd love to refurbish an old Rhodes...I'd put the money into new components, but only if I could find a throw-away, or exceedingly cheap fixer-upper. Even complete wrecks seem to fetch a pretty penny. No thanks.

In the unboxing vid, the Seven seems to be a bit smaller than I thought. Seems much more manageable than I assumed.

It's the time needed to work on them yourself or the money needed to get a good shop to work on it. Mine sounds great but plays like poop. It needs the bump mod desperately. Whenever I get the idea I'll sit down and get into it - something else around on the house needs my attention. And if it's a hobby I'd rather play on it than work on it, if that makes sense.

LOL what if the band leader calls Whitney, Luther, Chicago, Hall & Oats, George Michael or tons of other stuff from the 80s? There's certain gigs where you don't get to pretend an era of music didn't exist because your personal preference are wired to the 60s and 70s. If the audience loves disco you play it, no? I guess some folks can afford to be picky and refuse tunes. To each their own. But I'm hearing 80s stuff on oldies stations now and not so much Cream, Allman's, Hendrix and Dylan. Time waits for no man. It's gotten real hard to keep up with what's popular right now, too. 90s and 2000s are over and 2010s almost too. When the heck did that happen!?

I played Whitney and Hall & Oats all thru the 80's (but not Foster era Chicago - a man's gotta have some standards.)

But I played NONE of it on a FM piano sound. I used a real Rhodes with phaser, or an MKS-20 Rhodes sound, or a Baldwin ElectroPro - ANYTHING but that abominable sound!

Moe

---

I played Whitney and Hall & Oats all thru the 80's (but not Foster era Chicago - a man's gotta have some standards.)

But I played NONE of it on a FM piano sound. I used a real Rhodes with phaser, or an MKS-20 Rhodes sound, or a Baldwin ElectroPro - ANYTHING but that abominable sound!

:pop: Heretic! Sacrilege! :roll: