Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2916235 - 03/20/18 10:12 AM Yahama Guitars
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Yahama guitars

I've never played a Yahama guitar and from the price I'm not sure I would have wanted to.

Anyone know if they are worth the price? (SBG Series)

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/index.html

Edited by DocPate (03/20/18 10:15 AM)

GP Island
#2916240 - 03/20/18 10:25 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: DocPate]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: DocPate
Yahama guitars

I've never played a Yahama guitar and from the price I'm not sure I would have wanted to.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/index.html

I had one of the original Yamaha SBG Guitars back in the 80's. Damned nice Guitar, and affordable, too. At the prices quoted, I'd fold my money in half and look for a nice used Heritage, or something. Can't imagine how a $500 Guitar line went to 5 Grand, but WTH . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2916260 - 03/20/18 11:32 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

@WPS. You say "had". Why did you get rid of it?

#2916269 - 03/20/18 12:03 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Yahama guitars

I had one of the original Yamaha SBG Guitars back in the 80's. Damned nice Guitar, and affordable, too. At the prices quoted, I'd fold my money in half and look for a nice used Heritage, or something. Can't imagine how a $500 Guitar line went to 5 Grand, but WTH . . .

Its Yamaha .... They list these MSRP full mark prices that no one sells anything for. I play a pair of Yamaha guitars that they list for $1050 and $980 and you can buy them new all day for $599 and $635 with hardshell cases.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2916275 - 03/20/18 12:12 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: CEB]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

So CEB. Tell me how you like Yamaha, which models and why.

I've steered friends and family away from Yamaha in the past but with Gibson's problems and issues with some fender products, I'm seriously looking for alter atives

#2916280 - 03/20/18 12:24 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: DocPate]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I play 600 Series Pacificas. Sort of a super Strat style guitar. About the same price as a made in Mexico Strat but much better parts. Locking Grover tuners Black Tusq nuts Wilkinson Tremelo bridge, Seymour Duncan pickups. The neck feels like my 71 Strat. I replaced the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 pickups in the bridge because the mids are scooped and replaced them with Duncan 59 Custom Hybrids. In single coil m0ode the sound great because that uses the Custom coil which is basically a true 7.89k single coil pickup. The ones I play feel like Fenders and are nothing like Gibsons. One has a humbucker in the Bridge and a Duncan P90 in the neck the other a humbucker in the bridge and 2 Duncan SSL single coils.

Edited by CEB (03/20/18 12:25 PM)

#2916282 - 03/20/18 12:30 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Can't imagine how a $500 Guitar line went to 5 Grand, but WTH . . .

Ghost built by Gibson?
grin

I did note the SGBs listed were “individually handcrafted by highly skilled master luthiers”- IOW, these aren’t the mass production SGBs, but custom shop level workmanship.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2916287 - 03/20/18 12:35 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
My take on Yamaha guitars in general is that they are well-made with good QC. my $200 or so nylon-stringed classical sounds sweet. The electrics I’ve tried felt good.

If there’s a knock in them, it is perhaps their pickups ar vanilla, or that their aesthetics are slightly off.

Personally, I’d love something from their old SG/new SGB product line, and I think the RevStars are really, really good. Wouldn’t mind one of those, either.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2916311 - 03/20/18 03:20 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I never played a Yamaha guitar either. But I am a big fan of cheapo guitars. With a little TLC you can make a cheapo play as well as any expensive instrument. Sometimes you have to redo the electronics, or file the frets. But as long as the neck is relatively true, you can do wonders with an economy priced instrument.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2916348 - 03/20/18 06:19 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: desertbluesman]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

I own a Yamaha 12 string acoustic that I bought in 1981. The tuners are crap, but the rest of the guitar is superb. If someone offered me $1,000 for my guitar, I would smile and say "No thanks, I'd rather keep the guitar."

#2916364 - 03/20/18 07:07 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Sharkman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I've had several Yamaha classical guitars over the years. Very nice for the money, if you're not a pro classical player who can afford several $k for a guitar.

#2916369 - 03/20/18 07:21 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: DocPate]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
When I first opened this thread, I was expecting to read about a Japanese guitar company I had not heard of - Yahama guitars. LOL,

My experience with Yamaha guitars through the years has been uniformly positive. They provide a quality product at a reasonable price (I was not aware that they had models priced over $5,000).

I currently own an LS16M acoustic and it was an incredible value at $700! Solid spruce top and solid mahogany body, fully bound body, neck and headstock. Abalone rosette with an ebony fingerboard and bridge. Excellent quality in a straightforward, no-nonsense acoustic.

I have never played a Yamaha guitar that I didn't like.

Afterthought: You could own a beautiful Heritage solid body for a lot less than $5,000.

Edited by Fred_C (03/20/18 07:23 PM)
Edit Reason: Add Afterthought

#2916381 - 03/20/18 08:02 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I have never played a Yamaha, but I have always read some very good comments from those that have... cool

#2916422 - 03/21/18 05:02 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I have to go along with Fred up there.

While never owning one, I've played them in stores and such and too, have had positive reactions to the ones I've played. Plus, I'm seeing more of them offered in FINGERHUT catalogs of late.

And never DID hear one of those SLG200S models they have. Not "up close and personal" anyway.....

Whitefang

#2916434 - 03/21/18 06:20 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: DocPate]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Back in my college days, some friends had a Yamaha acoustic. I have never forgotten that tone, it was shimmery and clear, like a good Martin. When I found my Seagull, I heard something like that tone again. I pounced on it.
I've played several Pacificas-I didn't go WOW, but they felt solid, sounded fine. I've also had several goes with silent guitars-they do as they are advertised. If neurotic neighbors are a problem I would recommend them.
For the Pacificas, I could have sworn there was a sig model but now I can't seem to find it. Anyway can't comment on their hi-end products but overall their guitars have been solid for a long time.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2916443 - 03/21/18 06:55 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: skipclone 1]
CEB Offline
10k Club

There is a Mike Stern signature model. Around $1,500 with a T-style body.

Yamaha does a nice job of actually giving you a better guitar as you jump up in levels. 100 series vs 200 series vs 400 vs 500 ..... etc. I swear I've played MIM Fenders that have played better than MIAs that cost 2-3x more $$$s.

I really like the Yamaha REVSTAR RS 820CR. The finish really shows fingerprints though.

Edited by CEB (03/21/18 06:57 AM)

#2916453 - 03/21/18 07:36 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: DocPate]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sorry, DocPate, just seeing your question now.

Short answer, I was cycling through Guitars at the time, looking for something, and the SBG wasn't quite it . . .

At various points around that time, I had a pre-CBS Duo-Sonic, a Rick, a Gold-Top LP, The Paul, at least one Strat, a Gordon-Smith (British-made, double-cutaway Mahogany plank, more like a Melody Maker than anything else; general-issue UK Punk Guitar), and a TV Yellow SG Standard: nice enough Guitar, hideous color! Those are the ones I remember offhand, and we're just talking middle to late 80's.

The SBG had elements I liked, the Mahogany body, double cutaway, two HB's. It was like a hybrid SG/LP in many ways, but it leaned a little too far into the LP camp. IIRC, the PU switch was on the upper cutaway, essentially where it would have been on an LP: one feature of the LP design I've never liked. I went back to SG's, albeit heavily customized with after-market parts, and have been very happy with them. The SGB I either sold or traded towards one of the other Guitars I mentioned, but after nearly 40 years, and probably even more Guitars(?), I couldn't hazard a guess.

Edited by Winston Psmith (03/21/18 07:37 AM)
Edit Reason: brain cramp . . .

#2916682 - 03/22/18 08:52 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
Crovere Offline

Is the sound quality good?

#2916710 - 03/22/18 10:30 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Crovere]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Crovere
Is the sound quality good?

The Guitar I had back then (1986-87?) would compare favorably with a current high-end Epiphone model, as best I can recall. No obvious flaws, decent sound, nice playability, just not quite what I wanted at the time.

FWIW, at the time, imported Guitars were still trying to make their way in the U.S. market, so Yamaha couldn't afford to introduce a cheaply-made beater Electric Guitar at the time. Ibanez was making a bit of a stir with models like the Artist, while some players were moving over to "lawsuit" Tokai's and ESP Strats, because they offered high quality at a lower price point than U.S.-made Guitars. Epiphone was just getting ready for a comeback in the late 80's, but they started by bringing out super-cheap Strat-style Guitars with plywood bodies. Yamaha was being pretty bold in trying to introduce something that was neither an exact copy of an existing model, nor a cheap 'starter' Guitar, but an affordable player's quality instrument.

I have no point of comparison for the current 2018 models, never having had one in my hands. My opinion of the list price is based solely on my (admittedly vague) memories of the one I had back in the 80's, which may not be a fair nor reasonable comparison at all.

#2916737 - 03/22/18 12:21 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

WELCOME ABOARD CROVERE! thu

#2916766 - 03/22/18 01:19 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've written extensively about my RevStar, which looks the same as the picture you posted and is probably called something else in quite a few different countries.

The series just got revised slightly this year, and the model numbers got bumped, but I think the series breadth has remained.

I found the top-end model the most playable and best-sounding, but 100% redundant for me as I had already bought a used Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul 1957 Gold Top by then.

I went for the one with the tailpiece and the P-90's. That was a niche in my collection. My techie is quite impressed with the new Yamaha range. But I sold my Pacifica as it was too narrow (the RevStar has a wider neck).

Yamaha have done some interesting things with the volume knob, and it's different per model. For my model (in a gorgeous Racing Green colour), it changes the capacitance of the treble cut, as I recall.

#2916847 - 03/23/18 03:34 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Sorry, DocPate, just seeing your question now.

Short answer, I was cycling through Guitars at the time, looking for something, and the SBG wasn't quite it . . .

At various points around that time, I had a pre-CBS Duo-Sonic, a Rick, a Gold-Top LP, The Paul, at least one Strat, a Gordon-Smith (British-made, double-cutaway Mahogany plank, more like a Melody Maker than anything else; general-issue UK Punk Guitar), and a TV Yellow SG Standard: nice enough Guitar, hideous color! Those are the ones I remember offhand, and we're just talking middle to late 80's.

Nice array of guitars. I guess that if I had your inventory, and wanted to thin the herd, the Yahama might be one of the first choices. Do you still have the Gold Top?

#2916866 - 03/23/18 05:45 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: DocPate]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nice array of guitars. I guess that if I had your inventory, and wanted to thin the herd, the Yahama might be one of the first choices. Do you still have the Gold Top?

No Gold Top anymore; the Guitar was nice enough, but again, it never grabbed me. I've been through a LOT more Guitars than are on that list, some Strats, a G&L Tribute, a couple of PRS SE models, some other Les Pauls, an Explorer, I've tried just about everything out there.

For feel, I love my SG's, for looks, I'm a Black Guitar guy, pretty much, goes with any outfit, and looks good with grey hair.

Present line-up is two 2003 Gibson SG Specials (Eris & Nemesis), one Ovation 1867 Legend, one Godin Freeway SA, one MIK Epiphone DOT, one ancient Alvarez 6-string (MIJ), an Alvarez Masterworks 12-string (MIC), and a recent Epiphone Les Paul Standard (MIC). One SG (Eris) is Cherry Red, the two Alvarez Guitars have Natural tops, all the others are Black, my favorite Guitar color. Holding out for an Ibanez RG8-MS (8-string Multi-Scale), and maybe a 'real', i.e. Gibson, Les Paul later this year.

I'm too old to keep collecting Guitars just for the sake of collecting, nice as the thought is. If I don't play it, it may have more value to sell or trade, than to sit in my place collecting dust.

Back on point: If I were looking for a new, solid-body Electric Guitar, right now, with no regard as to name brand, I'd look at the recently revived Hamer line to start with. Hamer, IMHO, made Guitars that matched or surpassed Gibson quality, back in the 90's. They'd shut down a few years back(?), but I've seen some recent models in the Sweetwater catalog; might be worth checking out. Fred C. speaks highly of Peerless, but I'm not familiar with their Guitars, myself. If I had money to spare, I'd look for a Heritage LP-style Guitar. For Metal, or heavy Classic Rock, I'd look at ESP/LTD.

#2916898 - 03/23/18 07:44 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Winston Psmith]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've liked or loved every model of Yamaha acoustic I've ever played. As far as their electrics, their Pacificas are killer values...but damn, would I love to get my hands on a '70s SG-2000 or 3000. Santana's weapon of choice before he went over to Paul Reed Smith; the one I've gotten to play was like a dream. 😍

#2917091 - 03/24/18 09:28 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: hurricane hugo]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I know I've lusted for a Yamaha keyboard with the weighted keys for years. I've made do with my little Casio, but sometimes I really wanted the feel of the Yamaha.

So, I guess I'll have to locate my closest Yamaha guitar store and give them a real try, as much as I'm able.

#2917099 - 03/24/18 10:18 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: DocPate]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I have an older Yamaha, FG-420-C. It is easily the nicest sounding acoustic I've owned and the live sound stood up to any of the Taylor/Gibson acoustics that I heard. Best of all, the sound just keeps getting better with age.

While I can't attest to the newer models, if they are anything like mine, they are well worth looking into.
My Pics

#2917227 - 03/25/18 04:15 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: A String]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I couldn't speak on behalf of Yamaha electric guitars, as I've never heard or seen anyone using one, but their acoustic guitars, electric keyboards and acoustic pianos AREN'T markedly better, OR worse than their comparable contemporaries.

To paraphrase A String, they "stand up".
Whitefang

#2917344 - 03/25/18 07:23 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've told this story here many times, but as a 14 year old who'd worked a couple of summers to buy a "real guitar" to replace the warped and disintegrating Menphis Les Paul copy I'd played to death, I had $800... That could've bought me about 7 used Jaguars and Jazzmasters from the pawnshops, but they were all screwy and in disrepair and I was scared off... the local stores had the Teles and Strats marked over $1000 and the ol' "well, I just have this $800 in cash" ploy just got laughs from them. The Gibsons I could almost afford offended me... the "firebrand" things with no finish or binding and Gibson branded on the headstock... just felt cheap. The cooler salesmen would suggest Ibanez and Yamaha, and pull out their personal guitars to show that they really did play them at gigs and they really were great bang for the buck, not that I needed to be convinced, the bands I liked were using Yamaha (Squeeze, Men At Work, Carlos Santana, Duran Duran, etc.) and Ibanez (Sting played an Ibanez bass at the time, this great power pop band that was really popular in the region called The Producers played Ibanez guitars and basses and sounded terrific)... so I ended up getting a Yamaha SC-400, as pictured at link:

https://guitarz.blogspot.com/2009/06/yamaha-sc400.html

It was a fantastic playing and sounding and built guitar. Set neck, Gibson scale-length, overwound single coils that sounded as fat as humbuckers when you wanted them to... but quack in positions 2 and 4. I played it for years, hard, until I outgrew it (as in my physical size... it started looking too tiny on my expanding frame). I still have it, it's still a great guitar.

#2918926 - 04/03/18 07:29 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: whitefang]
Psychotronic Offline

Loc: NY, NY
Originally Posted By: whitefang
I have to go along with Fred up there.

While never owning one, I've played them in stores and such and too, have had positive reactions to the ones I've played. Plus, I'm seeing more of them offered in FINGERHUT catalogs of late.

And never DID hear one of those SLG200S models they have. Not "up close and personal" anyway.....

Whitefang

I can tell you from personal experience that the Yamaha silent guitars are incredible. None of the videos I found online (including this one) do them justice, but they play and sound amazing.

#2918928 - 04/03/18 07:33 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Psychotronic]
Psychotronic Offline

Loc: NY, NY
Also, I own several Yamaha guitars. They're all excellent value. I do agree with the opinion that the pickups can be kind of "vanilla", but they're still decent. I very often bring my 90's Pacifica 812 on tour with me -- it's a great workhorse of an instrument.

#2919075 - 04/03/18 09:35 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Psychotronic]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Psychotronic
I can tell you from personal experience that the Yamaha silent guitars are incredible. None of the videos I found online (including this one) do them justice, but they play and sound amazing.

Also, I own several Yamaha guitars. They're all excellent value. I do agree with the opinion that the pickups can be kind of "vanilla", but they're still decent. I very often bring my 90's Pacifica 812 on tour with me -- it's a great workhorse of an instrument.

Thanks for that input! Particularly regarding an instrument being a worthy workhorse for touring work.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2919099 - 04/04/18 03:55 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Psychotronic]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Thanks for that info. I brought those guitars up in these forums back when I first saw that one in the Canadian casino about 9-10 years ago and got no response at the time. Actually, and IMHO, NO YouTube clip does ANYTHING, song OR instrument demo video, any justice. wink
Whitefang

#2919111 - 04/04/18 05:38 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: whitefang]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: whitefang

Actually, and IMHO, NO YouTube clip does ANYTHING, song OR instrument demo video, any justice. wink
Whitefang

Do you have quality loudspeakers connected to your computer? If not, then of course it's going to sound terrible coming out of that tiny, little onboard speaker.

#2919118 - 04/04/18 06:46 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Brother Fred, when I plug my lap top into an amp or PA, or if I use my headphones, there is a big difference in the YouTube audio quality. The little lap top speakers work fine for most of my YT use though... cool

#2919298 - 04/05/18 03:56 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Fred_C
Do you have quality loudspeakers connected to your computer? If not, then of course it's going to sound terrible coming out of that tiny, little onboard speaker.

Well, while I'm not using the onboard speaker, the ones I do have connected to my PC aren't admittedly "state of the art" nor are comparable to what I use for my home sound system. But too, I suspect that most "home recordings" done by those who do post a lot of clips to the site aren't exactly using high end "state of the art" recording equipment either, which then makes investing in high end speakers for the PC a waste of money also.

But then again, I never DID intend for my PC to be my main source of visual or sound reproduction entertainment, Nor either pertinent information, so in my case, it is what it is. wink
Whitefang

#2919341 - 04/05/18 07:45 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Well of course there is a signal chain effect-from an original performance in a room, assuming that is totally live, to your ears. There are several-what to call them...interstices. They work either for or against preserving the original performance. Even if the original didn`t have great sound, I would point out that some performances on youtube would be difficult or impossible to hear otherwise, regardless of fidelity. That is important to some listeners.

Edited by skipclone 1 (04/05/18 07:46 AM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2919395 - 04/05/18 10:48 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: skipclone 1]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Good speakers do allow one to hear how badly compromised YouTube sound is, i.e. much worse (to my ears) than standard mp3 encoding. I often prefer my laptop speakers for the simple fact that I'm less aware of the artifacts. Same with the picture; I wouldn't really want to see YouTube picture quality on a high quality, large screen. It's just dramatically bad quality, which can be overlooked somewhat on a tiny screen. Worst of all, & why I can't watch any YouTube very closely, is how far out of sync sound is with picture. Overall, I find it a very low quality experience, well suited to an iPad or laptop.

#2919824 - 04/07/18 05:10 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah. And I've gotten TOO SPOILED watching movies and TV shows on a 50" widescreen television to EVER settle again for watching them on anything smaller. Especially something the size of a BUSINESS CARD.

But I'm simply stating none of it works for ME. But anyone else is free to do as they choose of course. But, I personally know several "Gadget junkies" who, when finding out I don't care to bother with any of that stuff, spend HOURS trying to convince me how GREAT it all is. It's almost as if they get PAID a certain amount for every convert they pull in. grin
Whitefang

#2919859 - 04/07/18 07:51 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Scott Fraser]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
YouTube picture quality on a high quality, large screen. It's just dramatically bad quality, which can be overlooked somewhat on a tiny screen.

Actually, If the content provider knows what they are doing, YouTube videos can be some of the highest quality on the Internet with the top end hitting 1080P@60FPS and even 4K. Quality so high that my old PC stuttered when it tried to play it back because it was too much info for it to process. Once I upgraded my video card, I am now able to watch 1080P in 60Fps on my 50" LED LCD and the quality is stunning.

The days of confining videos to a tiny screen are over...unless you are watching someone's personal videos, recorded with their 4MP, front facing camera on their 3 year old Samsung "Free" phone. Then...the quality will certainly look bad.

Also, if you are getting audio sync issues, it is more apt to be a problem with your PC. Sometimes, if you have a lower end PC, or a PC that is bogged down with other processes, video processing can take longer than audio and it can cause things to go out of sync. Upgrading your hardware or cleaning out unnecessary programs, will fix this.
My Pics

#2919958 - 04/07/18 07:59 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I remember those! I spent a little time with one that someone I was in a band with had. 'S alright.

Originally Posted By: p90jr
I've told this story here many times, but as a 14 year old who'd worked a couple of summers to buy a "real guitar" to replace the warped and disintegrating Menphis Les Paul copy I'd played to death, I had $800... That could've bought me about 7 used Jaguars and Jazzmasters from the pawnshops, but they were all screwy and in disrepair and I was scared off... the local stores had the Teles and Strats marked over $1000 and the ol' "well, I just have this $800 in cash" ploy just got laughs from them. The Gibsons I could almost afford offended me... the "firebrand" things with no finish or binding and Gibson branded on the headstock... just felt cheap. The cooler salesmen would suggest Ibanez and Yamaha, and pull out their personal guitars to show that they really did play them at gigs and they really were great bang for the buck, not that I needed to be convinced, the bands I liked were using Yamaha (Squeeze, Men At Work, Carlos Santana, Duran Duran, etc.) and Ibanez (Sting played an Ibanez bass at the time, this great power pop band that was really popular in the region called The Producers played Ibanez guitars and basses and sounded terrific)... so I ended up getting a Yamaha SC-400, as pictured at link:

https://guitarz.blogspot.com/2009/06/yamaha-sc400.html

It was a fantastic playing and sounding and built guitar. Set neck, Gibson scale-length, overwound single coils that sounded as fat as humbuckers when you wanted them to... but quack in positions 2 and 4. I played it for years, hard, until I outgrew it (as in my physical size... it started looking too tiny on my expanding frame). I still have it, it's still a great guitar.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2920304 - 04/09/18 11:58 AM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Psychotronic]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Brings up another question: Can you upgrade the electronics easily

#2928142 - 05/20/18 04:03 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Psychotronic]
Kenji13 Offline

Loc: NY
I saw many Yamaha guitars, but they are all great. It always well constructed. One thing I notice is that Yahama guitar has great sound, but I have never surprized with the tone. I mean it all balanced well, but it is a bit flat for me.

#2929096 - 05/24/18 02:11 PM Re: Yahama Guitars [Re: Scott Fraser]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Good speakers do allow one to hear how badly compromised YouTube sound is, i.e. much worse (to my ears) than standard mp3 encoding. I often prefer my laptop speakers for the simple fact that I'm less aware of the artifacts. Same with the picture; I wouldn't really want to see YouTube picture quality on a high quality, large screen. It's just dramatically bad quality, which can be overlooked somewhat on a tiny screen. Worst of all, & why I can't watch any YouTube very closely, is how far out of sync sound is with picture. Overall, I find it a very low quality experience, well suited to an iPad or laptop.

Frequently watching concerts on my TVs either through Amazon TV firesticks that pull up youtube or using a Google Chromecast, I can say you're right about the sound, but a computer's resolution is still much higher than most HD TVs... not that most content uploaded to Youtube by average people is HD or even in clear resolution to begin with... but there are lots of "official concert sources" that have great video uploaded, there, and they seem to beat the sync'ing problem that's prevalent... I really hear how bad the audio encoding is when I stream the audio to my stereo... And, Youtube is my wife's preferred method of streaming music in the car and around the house. I have Spotify on her devices set to highest quality but she won't use it... and YouTube has realized a lot of people do that so they're pitching themselves as an audio streaming source... at least record companies seem to be uploading the files, themselves...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose