Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate Apex AX90 mic adaptor

According to the internet, I may as well be asking about the original polishing cloth for the Holy Grail, but I figured if I could find these anywhere, it'd be here. I'm looking for 1 (2 would be ideal) threaded mic adaptor for the Ultimate AX90 Apex. Will pay $$$. Anything out there?

Thanks, kids -- been a long time since I've posted here!

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are talking about the AX90B?

I may be wrong, but I don't think they ever sold a mic adapter for the AX90B.

I own an AX90B (RED), and I've never seen it offered. I looked extensively.

btw, what do you estimate the value of one of these is? I took me 6 months to find a RED one when it was new.

Let me know if you find a source.

This topic came up extremely recently.

I forget my model number, but maybe the mic extender for mine is compatible if mine is the 48 and not the 90. They might still be available at Kraft Music or RMC Audio (formerly Rik's Music).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

BTW, I expect to be selling mine soon, once I set up my new stand. I also have the gig bag, which was hard to find. I think I bought both accessories at RMC and/or Kraft.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hey guys, Ultimate never really released the MIC adapter for the AX90.

The adapter for the AX48 does not work.

I even had a nice conversation with Ultimate a few years ago and ask if they even had a prototype as I'd be willing to buy it.

The design of the AX90 adapter was to be a quick release, and also attached via a long rod that ran down the channel. Unlike the AX-48 adapter that screws into the top of the AX48.

I do also have an AX48 with the adapter. I did look at doing one of my modification projects to adapt the adapter to the AX90, but it would have involved permanently disfiguring the AX90. I decided against it.

On gigs where I use the AX90, I use a tripod mic stand. The tripod legs fit over the leg of the AX90 and you can get the mic stand right up close.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Hey guys, Ultimate never really released the MIC adapter for the AX90.

The adapter for the AX48 does not work.

Damn, you beat me to it, David. ;)

This is 100% correct, and was discussed in the past here (although it's a brief mention in one of the AX90 threads, so easy enough to miss.

It was shown very briefly on the Ultimate Support website, and some retailer sites, but no, it never made it into the real world. At the time (2011), the response from Ultimate Support was this:

"The decision has been made not to launch the ax90 microphone boom pending possible changes to the ax 90 stand."

Has anyone checked any of the competing "spider stand" brands (K&M and a few others) to see if they have mic attachments that might be compatible without disfigurement?

I using the mic adaptor, I found that the noise of striking the keys came through the microphone.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

K&M does sell a mic-boom adapter/attachment for the Spider Pro. In the long run I found it not worth the effort to deal with, and that a separate Hercules tripod stand with the "clutch" operation feature, works every bit as well, doesn't really take up on any extra real estate on stage and is more worth carrying an extra piece of gear (on the rare occassion when I even need to - most gigs and studios seem to include a house pa or hired sound company that provide mic stands for everyone as needed) , then attaching, detaching and transporting the specialized one.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

i got curious and googled around briefly. seems it was once available - maybe back in 2015-ish? all the usuals still have it on their web page and every one of them is "no longer available".

According to Escape, it was never available. that would fit the no longer part, albeit a bit of an indirect disclosure. Reminds me of a boss that used to tell the story about "your cat's on the roof".

I have the AX-48. with mic boom. many ways to improve the design of that stand but overall i like it fine. its better than my X :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Here's what the mic adapter looks like, or is supposed to look like.

Qetl7F.jpg

I have seen a couple AX-90 stands where someone did adapt the Ax48 mic adapter to them. However, the couple pics I've seen aren't close enough to see how they did it.

David

AX48 hardware is mostly interchangeable with AX90: support arms, locking flange, etc.

The AX48 stand fits on the AX 90 the same way it fits on the AX 48. Substitute the locking flange on the side of the support where the arms fit.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

AX48 hardware is mostly interchangeable with AX90: support arms, locking flange, etc.

The AX48 stand fits on the AX 90 the same way it fits on the AX 48. Substitute the locking flange on the side of the support where the arms fit.

They are two completely different keyboard stands that share no parts. The top where the Mic Adapter goes is a different shape and contour on the AX90

The Super Clamps and support arms (tri-bars on AX48) are certainly not interchangeable.

Check it out:

AX48

mJd6pz.jpg

AX90

apdJFV.jpg

AX48

WdI4y2.jpg

AX90

v3d3O1.jpg

Finally the tops of each. Notice the contour and size of plate where the Mic Adapter would go on each.

The AX48 is practically flat. The AX90 is a bit bigger and curves down on it's ends.

AX48

0wpav0.jpg

AX90

PbHEbw.jpg

I bought my very first Ultimate Apex when they were hot off the presses in 1987. I Still have it. I also own an AX48, and an AX90

You can interchange parts between the original Apex and AX48. I have done so when the superclamp with the sidemount mic adapter had an issue. I simply got a new (2013) superclamp that works perfectly with my 1987 Apex.

As far as the AX48 and AX90: two different beasts.

David

Yes, you are right, David. I was confusing the interchangeable parts between the Apex and the AX48. Sorry.

Yes, you are right, David. I was confusing the interchangeable parts between the Apex and the AX48. Sorry.

Hey, it's all good. I figured as much, and that's why I went into the detailed comparison so prevent those not familiar with the stands from making a purchasing error.

All is well!

David

I have an AX-48. some design compromises they could improve on but all in all i like it. I agree with all above - the boom for AX-48 won't work as it is on an AX-90. AX-48 Pro mic boom adapter is a plate with male threaded stud that screws into the top cap. The top caps are fundamentally different, that top cap wouldn't work in the AX-90.

AX-48 adapter

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• 1 year later...
Looking to buy the AX90 mic adaptor - has anyone ever sourced one ??? Love the AX90 and the mic boom would be such a bonus.........Even worse, i'm in the UK !!!!

The Mic Adapter for the AX90 never made it into full production.

It is not available.

David

Any idea on when the new Apex-One is gonna ship? Looks impressive! According to the website the AX-48 Pro accessories will work with the new stand. Looking at the pictures of the top plate I'm not convinced.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Any idea on when the new Apex-One is gonna ship? Looks impressive! According to the website the AX-48 Pro accessories will work with the new stand. Looking at the pictures of the top plate I'm not convinced.

Haven't seen a ship date. yes, the AX-48 Pro super clamps will work on the new Apex One. They purposely designed the new one with those tracks still there.

Of course, the new Superclamps with the angle adjustable arms will not fit on the old AX-48/Apex stands. Different design in how they attach.

Ultimate's One Sheet on the Apex One shows this

Ultimate Support Apex One

David

• 6 months later...
Hi everyone I"m new to the forums. I see this is a fairly old topic but I too have some questions regarding this stand. I just purchased the ax-90 stand and it is an absolute beast. I purchased it especially for this reason. I am supporting a Kronos 2 88 & a stage 3 HP. Now I too want to install a mic boom onto this stand and after reading all this info about the adapter is not available is a bit of a piss off. My other option is building my own set up which I have access to a machine shop at work and we can fabricate pretty much anything. So yesterday made the attempt to remove the complete top cap and take it into work last night. I removed the (6) cap screws and the last screw that is in the centre will not come out. This screw loosened off but can not remove it. I have tried to retighten it but it just keeps turning. This now has me puzzled because it sounds as if something is actually rotating in side the centre cylinder that"s part of the extruded aluminum. Has anyone here actually removed the top cap? If so any info would be greatly appreciated.

It's been a very long time since I've been under the hood of my old AX90. If I remember correctly, that center screw is connected to a support rod that runs all the way to the bottom.

Be very careful if you mess around with the bottom cover. If you don't line everything up perfectly on re-assembly, you mess up the spring function and stability of the folding legs.... ask me how I know :)

David

That's what I was worried about that the center is like a truss rod. Like I mentioned I have loosened it up but not able to free it up in order to remove it. Then tried to tighten it back up and once again just keeps spinning. So as of now I'm at a stand still as to whether to keep trying to remove this but then I would be into making a new support rod.

No worries I have figured this out. So the center screw is what fastens a pipe that runs through the centre of the stand. This pipe is what is used to adjust the various heights of the arms. The clamps are what actually pin to this pipe. I ended up having to drill out the bolt on top, once I drilled it out that"s when I saw what actually failed. Over torqued from the factory along with lock tight and when I loosened the bolt originally the fitting that is pressed into the pipe has a threaded center which broke loose and was just spinning. Drilling it out was the only option. Now off to work to make the repairs and fabricate my own mic/iPad adapter. Thanks for the input.