Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alrighty then...POSTHUMOUS birthdays...

whitefang

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Larry. I was beginning to think nobody paid any attention to this thread. ;)

So, speaking of "true masters", I'll point out that today would have been the 74th birthday of m'man JOHNNY WINTER. :)

And to many of his fans,will always be thought of as...

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/osvDo1lqBxQ

;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Today marks the 125th anniversary of the birth of WALTER "FURRY" LEWIS, often hailed as (in some cases) the "Father of the blues". Don't know about that, but he's done some very early recordings......like this, another version about "Stack O' Lee" from 90 odd years ago...

and he WAS the topic of Joni Mitchell's song "Furry Sings The Blues" from he "Hejira" LP.

[video:youtube]

And also, today marks what would have been WES MONTGOMERY'S 93rd birthday. ANOTHER "boomer" influence. ;)

Whitefang

Another old bluesman, JESSE "Lone Cat" FULLER was born 122 years ago this day. Along with LEADBELLY, another purveyor of the 12-string guitar, was equally influential on many mid 20th century singer-songwriters.

Whitefang

And speaking of old bluesmen, today is the 106th anniversary of the birth of SAM "LIGHTNIN' " HOPKINS.

Many a "latter day" blues enthusiast knows the name, without knowing the music :

Whitefang

Today, JERRY REED would have been 81.

For years I only knew of him as a country singer and occasional actor. It was through this forum in recent times that I became aware of his prowess as a guitarist. And I thank y'all for that!

Whitefang

Jerry Reed is one of my all-time favorite guitar players! +1 on the Chet and Jerry duo. There are lots of their live performances to choose from on YouTube. They had a ton of fun playing together! :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...
Blue Sued Shoes was the 1st Rockabilly song that hooked me around the age of 6. It was a classic and my mom bought me my 1st 45. She didn't have the heart to tell me it was Carl Perkins as I thought it was Elvis...both Carl's and Elvis's versions were released in '56. I still like both of them...
Take care, Larryz

:D

Yeah, and I won't repeat that Beatles story Carl told on NPR one day, even though it IS kinda funny. ;)

My step sister had some old SUN 45's of Carl's and BLUE SUEDE SHOES was among them. But I always gave the "b" side of any record a listen, and liked the "Shoes" "B" side, "Honey Don't" better, and was THRILLED when I heard the BEATLES do it too! And of course, like many of my contemporaries, I at the time thought ELVIS did "Shoes" first and at first though Carl "copied" it from Presley.

But, "city boy" that I am, I still can't figure out what's so "doggone cute" about some girl with "that sand all over" her FEET! ;)

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...

ROY ORBISON also, would have been 82 today, just one day after Glen.

I somehow never thought of them being even CLOSE to the same age, let alone just a day apart! ;)

Whitefang