Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2922787 - 04/22/18 07:57 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
I took a couple of quick shots of the piano this morning. FB friends here might have seen them already. I tried embedding the photo with the "enter an image" function but never could get it to work. Definitely computer challenged. If anyone can post the pictures without the link...please. And explain to me how you did it. idk
Don't worry. It's not you, Dave. These images aren't set up to be hosted somewhere besides FB.

I saw your FB post with these and thought, wow, 12 years already? I mentioned it to my wife and she said, "he has you beat" because I'll be on 5 years with my Kawai this fall.

KC Island
#2947908 - 09/12/18 01:29 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Joe Muscara]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Just passing this on in case anyone in the LA area might be interested.

My tech is here now tuning my piano and she mentioned one of her clients has an '80s era, she thinks '86, Yamaha C7 for sale at 15K. He doesn't play a lot anymore and his house isn't real big , so it sounds like he just wants the room. I had an '88 C7 and it was an incredible piano ! But you have to have the space for it of course.

Teri has maintained the piano for years and says the action still plays well. And the sound is good.

The seller is in W. LA. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll pass along my tech's contact. She can answer any general questions about it.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2947986 - 09/13/18 12:53 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
George88 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I have a Steinway model C, 7í4Ē. Itís a beast that has been in my family since early 1900s. Best piano Iíve ever played and simply beautiful.

#2948047 - 09/13/18 08:27 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: George88]
JoJoB3 Offline

(jealous of guy above this reply)

Cable baby-baby grand. Feels good, sounds good enough for jazz/pop.

#2948458 - 09/15/18 11:22 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JoJoB3]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Piano is my forte.

#2974831 - 02/09/19 04:08 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was in the Valley this afternoon on a gig and was in the neighborhood, so I stopped by Keyboard Concepts.

I played the newer Bosendorfer 280VC, and right next to it was the Yamaha CFX. Wow, HUGE difference between the two ! While being a Yamaha fan and having owned two in the past, the CFX simply doesn't compare with the Bosedorfer in regard to complexity and refinement of tone. Having them side by side, the characteristics are instantly glaring how much difference there is. Hate to say it but the CFX sounded pretty vanilla next to the Austrian piano.

The 280 has such a sweet sound to it at a softer volume, I hated to play it loud. The Renner action was super responsive too. And the sound was crystal clear although thinner then my NY D. A very different animal.

They also had a 1914 rebuilt NY Steinway O (5' 10") that was very nice for 35K. Rebuilt with all Steinway parts- action and hammers, original sound board. A really nice sounding piano for a rebuild.

Sitting down to it, I was back in familiar territory. The NY Steinways are still my preferred sound.

But that 280VC was certainly fantastic, again just different.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2974835 - 02/09/19 04:43 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Rusty Mike]
Sundown Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
I have a 1967 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet that I inherited from my Grandmother. Itís in fantastic shape. I would almost call it mint. It needs tuning and regulation, but the cabinet is flawless.

My folks have a Grinnell Bros. console, which is what I played growing up. Iíll likely inherit that, though hopefully no time soon. The images below arenít mine, but they are the same pianos I have.

To be honest, Iíd like to get rid of them and replace them with a Kawai CA98. Uprights have a wonky low/mid sound, and the action on a Kawai digital is fantastic. You can play with headphones, and thatís how I prefer to play.

I have a Kawai MP11 in my home studio, so a home version of it (in the form of a CA98) would be good for the living room. Someday...

Just Finished: Condensation; Two Button Press
Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Fishing in Kingsbury
Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361
DAW Platform: Cubase

#2974850 - 02/09/19 07:05 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Sundown]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Piano was my first instrument. My parents got a gigantic old upright for free when I was eight, and itís what I first learned on, but the soundboard was cracked and by the time I started getting serious about it a few years after, we replaced it with a digital.

Since then I havenít owned a real acoustic piano, though I got to play some lovely ones over the years in college and the occasional recording studio. When my wife and I own our own place, I hope to finally own a real piano.

Side note: a few months ago I was in Syracuse having my Privia repaired, and the store owner heard me playing some Elton John on one of the baby grands and took me in the back to show me the Yamaha concert grand they rent out to touring artists in the region, including (for many northeast shows) Elton John.

His sales pitch: ďGot a quarter of a million dollars you donít know what to do with?Ē

#2974851 - 02/09/19 07:12 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: samuelblupowitz]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wishing I had one. Hell, I wish I had the room for one, hahahahahahaha.

#2974854 - 02/09/19 07:33 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: hurricane hugo]
Tom Williams Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Virginia
Looks like the PX-5S will be my peak for now. Happily, I find it an inspiring instrument to play.

I've played a Bosendorfer Imperial (back in the 80's) and didn't really like it that much. My favorite no-budget-limit piano would be a 9' Baldwin grand; I just dig its tone. If I had the space (and retained my limited funding), I would quite happily settle for another piano I played on in the 1980s, of all things a 6' Young Chang.
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2974862 - 02/09/19 08:15 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Sundown]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sundown
I have a 1967 Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet that I inherited from my Grandmother.

That was my exact first piano, although I believe my Mom bought it around '65. It was how I learned to play, all by ear in my teenage years.

I picked out piano parts to Beatle songs, as well as Nicky Hopkins and Leon Russell licks. And learned quite a few Chuck Leavell solos on that too.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2974866 - 02/09/19 09:05 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
They also had a 1914 rebuilt NY Steinway O (5' 10") that was very nice for 35K. Rebuilt with all Steinway parts- action and hammers, original sound board. A really nice sounding piano for a rebuild

tried to get this through the purchasing department. No luck so far. frown
Moe

#2974887 - 02/10/19 01:48 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: davedoerfler]
JoJoB3 Offline

Cable baby grand. Good pins and harp, keeps tune. Dark, good for jazz, blues, pop, etc.

#2974919 - 02/10/19 08:32 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JoJoB3]
Morizzle Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: a planet
I have a Yamaha U100, an equivalent to the U1, I think. I bought it used in a piano store for a moderate price after being quite shocked of how tinny some new 12000Ä uprights can sound. The Yamaha has a suprisingly mellow and jazzy sound, I immediately liked it.
It had a silent system already installed, and sadly, that's how I play it the most, because I'm mainly practicing at weird times and I don't wanna disturb my many neighbors.

#2974948 - 02/10/19 12:51 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Morizzle]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Wow - I'd hate to hear THOSE pianos. The local university has U100s in the practice rooms, and I find them quite tinny...but they'd be great for classic rock!!
Roland: VR-09

#2974968 - 02/10/19 02:59 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: WesG]
Morizzle Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: a planet
Yeah, I teach on Yamahas, can't stand how most of them sound. There must be something wrong with mine, because it sounds beautiful. smile

#2974978 - 02/10/19 03:43 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Morizzle]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The hammers haven't been compressed from excessive playing, which causes the tinny, bright sound.

Also, often university students can be quite heavy in their touch. Multiple that by X number of students + many hours played straight, with no break to let the felt return to its more relaxed state = an ugly sound over a period of years.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2974980 - 02/10/19 03:56 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Dave!!!! That makes total and complete sense. Thanks!
Roland: VR-09

#2974985 - 02/10/19 04:31 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Rusty Mike]
elsongs Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
I have a 1984 Schaefer & Sons (regional piano manufacturer in Southern California) console upright that my parents bought and what I used when I was younger. Still keep the thing tuned annually, I have a tuner that lives less than a mile from me. Nothing fancy, but it's an acoustic piano. I use it for practicing and spontaneous songwriting. I have recorded a couple songs on it.

Many people fantasize about owning a Ferrari or Lamborghini, I fantasize about owning a Steinway one day.

...One day.

#2975084 - 02/11/19 10:01 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: elsongs]
dfcas Offline

We have a Kawai studio that she lets me use if I tune it for free.

#2975274 - 02/12/19 05:59 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: dfcas]
Steve in VA Offline

Fully restored 1979 Yamaha U1. It sounded very bright at first, but my tuner/tech did a great job softening the hammers with his "meat tenderizer" tool.

#2975281 - 02/12/19 06:21 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Steve in VA]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Yamaha YUX premium upright, looking to upgrade shortly to a mid-range baby grand. I play piano pretty much every day...more than my gigging gear...

Something like this 1948 Baldwin L would do me fine:

Edited by Legatoboy (02/12/19 07:23 AM)

#2978495 - 03/03/19 08:26 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Legatoboy]
uhoh7 Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
I love this thread smile

It's funny, there is endless discussion about the various Leslie emulations, and I've been just now reading all about the ventilator 1 & 2, which some honestly feel can be mistaken the real thing. I have a 760 and a 21H converted to 2-speed. When I fired up logic X and checked out their Leslies, I was honestly shocked at how well the effect sounded. I could never confuse it with either of my Leslies, because they don't seem to hit my ears the same way in any respect, trem on or off. But I thought, and still think a bunch of these emulations sound great, and I enjoy playing them alot. I even like the funky Numa Compact 2 Leslie, LOL.

I have a bunch of VST pianos too, like everybody. Some are like 40 gigs. Compared to the gulf between a real piano and a vst or digi whatever, the leslie emulations seem near identical to the real thing.

I started with a crappy spinet in 1986, but a few years later I bought a new Young Chang U-121, which is a U1 clone. Had it ever since. I'm playing all the time now, moving between RT3, Numa, Logic/Kontakt and the U-121.

I brought the pitch up myself a month a ago and I've been getting after the sour notes on a regular basis, but it's still not at it's sweetest. It's dry here, but I have a humdifer.

Imperfect as it is, that thing puts me in a trance like no other instrument in the house. Stereo, Tremolo? Monochromatic babel to the crazy combination of buzzing tones bouncing of the black upright's sitka spruce sound board. Analog moogs are monotonus gruel in contrast to the spicy vibration of those strings, which sets off things inside my ears nothing else does. Doing my own tuning, it becomes really clear why they say you can't tune a piano LOL. It's a wild beast, unpredictable, willfully percussive, inconsistent, with nothing like the warmth and range of the Hammond, let alone the canned manners of a digital piano. That's asumming the mechanics are pretty good LOL.

I would give up every instrument, every piece of music I own, and the internet, before I let that thing out of my life. Or at least it very often makes me feel I would smile I am really nuts about my Hammond, but the upright plays me like a violin. Erogenous sonicity on another plane entirely. I could no more mistake a piano clone for it than a picture of a person for one in the room.

U121 by unoh7, on Flickr

Edited by uhoh7 (03/03/19 08:31 PM)

#2978542 - 03/04/19 06:20 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: uhoh7]
MotiDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I have an old upright with bad sluggish slow action and a variety of sticking keys. It sucks to play so i generally donít - but my wife thinks it looks nice where it is. I donít want to invest as much $$ as it would take to restore it to a lovely playable condition as I remember it from my childhood (yes, i ďrecoveredĒ my original childhood piano some 30+ years after I had last saw it).

#2978726 - 03/05/19 05:43 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: uhoh7]
samuelblupowitz Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Originally Posted By: uhoh7
I would give up every instrument, every piece of music I own, and the internet, before I let that thing out of my life. Or at least it very often makes me feel I would smile

Now that's what I'm talking about.

#2978840 - 03/05/19 06:43 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: samuelblupowitz]
cphollis Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I am cognizant that many folks haven't heard a decent AP in the wild.

Yes, they've heard recordings, but it's nothing like being five feet away from an amazing instrument in a decent setting. I believe it's getting to be a more rare experience. Something to work on in our digital age.

Sort of like hearing a real pipe organ, for example. Ain't nothing like the real thing?

We have friends over socially on an occasional basis. The first thing they see in our living room is a full-blown Bosie 200 in my living room. It's not there as decoration. I play.

They're not quite sure what to make of it.

After a few drinks, I do my obligatory piano thing, hopefully to get them to sing along. I'm an entertainer at my core. They always comment on the full, enveloping sound (somewhat engineered on my part).

They also say I play quite well, but it's a low bar smile

Here's my point? There are not as many people as we'd like who have heard a decent piano played decently in a decent acoustic setting. When you expose them to the experience, they're inevitably converts.

Ain't nothing like a full-on AP experience in my world. Which I try to recreate in live settings, with varying degrees of success.

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2978850 - 03/05/19 07:28 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: cphollis]
Michael W Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, IL
I sold my Yamaha U3 yesterday - I bought it new 17 years ago.

My wife and I have sold our big ol' house and are doing the downsizing thing.

I honestly won't miss it as I thoroughly enjoy playing my Montage.

#2978856 - 03/05/19 08:26 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Michael W]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Michael W

frown
Moe

#2978922 - 03/06/19 07:36 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Michael W]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Michael W

My wife and I have sold our big ol' house and are doing the downsizing thing.

I honestly won't miss it as I thoroughly enjoy playing my Montage.

You won't miss the feel of hammered action?

#2978924 - 03/06/19 07:38 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: guitpic1]
BluesKeys Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Kawai 6'10" grand in my living room!!! Along with a Hammond M3!!!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner