Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2917180 - 03/24/18 07:02 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Jamie Finstad Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
When I graduated from university, the first thing I did was buy a Yamaha U1. Really nice upright that I've have for nearly 40 years. Several years ago I bought a Yamaha C5, which I've been very happy with.

Jamie

KC Island
#2917193 - 03/24/18 08:01 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: WavePackets
I actually thought I was going to fall in love with the 214VC, but I ended up pulling the trigger on the S7X! . I preferred the S7X a little over the 214VC, but both are really amazing. I believe the S7X has the Bosendorfer sound board, and it has that extra 6 inches.

Whoa!! Start a thread on pianos and then buy one of those ! shocked twothumbs

Congrats.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2917196 - 03/24/18 08:23 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Originally Posted By: WavePackets
I played the Bosendorfer 214VC, Bosendorfer 280VC, and Yamaha S7X this morning (and a few others). I actually thought I was going to fall in love with the 214VC, but I ended up pulling the trigger on the S7X! They were all amazing, and I would not mind owning a Bosendorfer 280VC some day, but not now. I preferred the S7X a little over the 214VC, but both are really amazing. I believe the S7X has the Bosendorfer sound board, and it has that extra 6 inches. To me it sounds like the perfect marriage between a Bosendorfer and a Yamaha - good for classical, pop, jazz, rock, recording, etc.

Congrats and enjoy!

#2917241 - 03/25/18 07:57 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Al Quinn]
DOhm Offline

Loc: Colorado
See what your guys did with all those piano stories! Haha! I wonder if my wife will believe me when I tell her the keyboard forum made me do it? wink

Hey, I just noticed I can change my profile name. Did not know I could do that. Nice to meet everyone!

Edited by Dave Ohm (03/25/18 08:02 AM)

#2917242 - 03/25/18 08:13 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Congratulations on the new S7X! Hard to go wrong on anything in that league.

Yet another case of forumites helping forumites to spend their money ...

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2917248 - 03/25/18 09:22 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: cphollis]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Everybody has the space for a grand it's just a matter of priorities. True if the space is 12X12 it's kinda tight but hey a concert grand will fit...Seriously, I have a friend who's a skilled guitarist and his wife plays piano. They have a house that's about 1,200 SF. His living room looks like a music store and yes, he has a 9' grand in there and has parties.

I started on accordian as a kid, then switched to organ when I was in the Air Force. Never played piano at all until about 20 years ago. I simply got burned out on B3 and wanted to learn more piano so I bought an Alesis QS8, then a Kurzweil PC2X. Then my income was better so I decided to get a cheap but rebuildable grand and do it myself. It's a 1957 era Knabe that I completely dissembled, stripped, refinished, rebuilt and restored in my living room. I did everything including removing the plate and refinishing that too. The only thing I hired out was the repinning/restringing and the new keytops and action. I couldn't afford to have the action completely rebuilt (about 3K at the time) but it's not bad and has been worked on with new hammers and I put in all new felts including the dampers.

At 72, I just bought a home in a retirement community and moved in. It's the third time I've moved the piano and it still holds it's tune after each move. That confirms what I was told at the time I rebuilt it that the pinblock was solid, all we did was put in slightly oversized pins. At the time I was in a rented condo and wow, the noise from driving in all those pins! The guy showed up about noon and took all day and I got complaints when the neighbors came home.

I still gig with all the usual collection of digital keyboards we talk about but that Knabe is my baby. It's not the best piano around but sounds pretty good, I would have loved to have rebuilt a Steinway or something but couldn't afford that. I got that Knabe for $500 with hand painted brush marks all over it but underneath it's mahogany so I refinished it as natural wood. I did have thoughts of using that as a test bed, sell it and actually rebuild something better but that never happened.

My living room looks like a few of the pics here. It's a music and jam session room, not a typical living room.

Bob

#2917286 - 03/25/18 01:21 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Jazzmammal]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Jazzmammal
Everybody has the space for a grand it's just a matter of priorities.

True, like having a dining room table where the family can eat. Priorities, priorities. wink
So I had to compromise. Table and Kawai 52" upright. This Kawai sounds better than the Winter baby grand I had in a previous home. Doesn't sing as much, of course, but the overall tone is better.
Moe

#2917289 - 03/25/18 01:28 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: davedoerfler]
DOhm Offline

I like a good upright. In fact, my goal is to have both a grand and an inspiring upright. When I started piano at 7yrs old I learned on a small console piano that my parents purchased out the back of a truck from one of those passing dealers in the 70's. In high school they purchased a medium grade baby grand. It was better than the console, but not better than a good upright can be.

There is something special about playing rock and blues on an cool sounding upright piano. I also like the upright tone for Bach. I suppose I could collect pianos like some people collect cars or motorcycles...if my family will tolerate it wink

#2917308 - 03/25/18 03:09 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Bryce]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
It's kind of sad to see something that once was a focal point of the living room for entertainment be reduced to a throwaway instrument.

This is the same thing that happened to the home organ. When was the last time you saw a living room with one of those??

Those are the two keyboards that get played the most in my house, and both of them are in my living room... idk

I do allow for the possibility that I may not be representative of the norm in this respect. grin

dB

Nice!! That is a beautiful living room!

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73 | DSI OB-6

#2917342 - 03/25/18 07:16 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JazzPiano88]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Piano move happened yesterday. Loving the real piano for the first time in years.

#2917345 - 03/25/18 07:30 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Nathanael_I Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ohm
I ended up pulling the trigger on the S7X!

Many congrats! I wish you many happy hours of discovery! That is a great piano! I played one right next to the 214VC when I was looking earlier this year. I preferred the tonality of the 214VC - but that extra 6" really opens a piano up. It doesn't sound like a lot on paper, but in the instrument, you get something.

Enjoy!

#2917354 - 03/25/18 08:35 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: The Real MC]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Piano move happened yesterday. Loving the real piano for the first time in years.

sounds like a good weekend. twothumbs
Moe

#2917508 - 03/26/18 02:03 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: The Real MC]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
PianoBanana

#2917526 - 03/26/18 03:41 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Joe Muscara]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

I have two 56'' Bush and Lane uprights , each from approximately 1924. One is at a friends house, and I have the other one.

I like the 56 inch height and had sought them out for a long time. Bush and Lanes have a good reputation from piano techs who know.

Mine seem relatively stable.... no soundboard cracks and the strings are in good shape. I haven't gotten into hammer voicing on the one I have at home. I really would like to meet a good tech in my area to address this and do some regulation but most of them I talk to look at it as " just another old upright".

I know better. I need someone who really knows and respects Bush and Lanes. Del Fandrich is somewhat near me in Olympia Washington but I haven't made up my mind to load it and take it to him. I am still waiting for a local person who gets it about this instrument.

I am hearing its potential however. The low end on this instrument is unlike any other upright out there IMO. The rest of it is pretty good too.

I am in the Willamette Valley in Oregon if anyone could recommend someone to help me dial this in.

#2917720 - 03/27/18 06:11 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: David Loving]
Bosendorphen Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: David Loving
My parents bought a Baldwin Acrosonic when I was about 5. I learned on it. Like a fool I sold it. To atone, I bought another off eBay. I play it every day. Edit: I do not use the term "acoustic piano." That is redundant. A piano is the real thing. Instruments that seek to emulate it aren't pianos.

Hey David, I still have and play the Baldwin Acrosonic my parents bought me when I turned 6. It sure holds a tuning well and still sounds great although the hammer felt is a bit compressed making it a bit loud but I'm fine with that.

Soundcloud
Aethellis

#2917722 - 03/27/18 06:26 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: The Real MC]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

twothumbs

#2918337 - 03/31/18 10:30 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Michael Wright]
DOhm Offline

This one is coming home with me...

Edited by Dave Ohm (03/31/18 10:33 AM)

#2918342 - 03/31/18 10:57 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Outstanding ! Again congrats.

After playing that beauty for some time, you'll morph into someone like me-- never wanting to hit another "on" switch in your life. wink thu

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2918379 - 03/31/18 03:28 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My piano situation is that I still don't have one (digital or analog), several years after selling my Kurzweil. But I think it's good that I waited, as the new Kawai specs are awesome. Just have to find a chance to break away from work to try one out, at the only place in the vicinity that has them.

I did decide that I'd rather have a digital than an upright, as uprights are more upkeep than grands and harder to move, so the advantages are quickly lost. I do have space adjacent an unused fireplace, for an analog or digital upright or console piano, so at least space isn't an issue anymore.

#2918392 - 03/31/18 05:55 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

After selling my U1, I have opted for a VPC 1 and various piano libraries. It suits my need for portability and serviceability at this point. Perhaps I will have another acoustic in the future.

#2918401 - 03/31/18 06:33 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Nathanael_I Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ohm
This one is coming home with me...

It is a beautiful instrument! Again, best wishes on your journey with this special piano!

#2918528 - 04/01/18 11:42 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
never wanting to hit another "on" switch in your life.
I agree 100%Ö for pianos. OTOH, for a Hammond or some others, that's fine. But overall, I love walking over to the piano and just playing it.

#2918545 - 04/01/18 12:21 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Joe Muscara]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I could amend that wish to allow for a Vintage Vibe or a Ken Rich Stage or Suitcase. cool

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2922707 - 04/21/18 02:21 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I took a couple of quick shots of the piano this morning. FB friends here might have seen them already. I tried embedding the photo with the "enter an image" function but never could get it to work. Definitely computer challenged. If anyone can post the pictures without the link...please. And explain to me how you did it. idk

Coming up on 12 years this May 6 that I took delivery. Not a day has gone by where I don't realize how fortunate I am, and how lucky I was to be in the right place at the right time. smile

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=5B9C1EBE

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=5B66D997

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=5B5C7A2F

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2922714 - 04/21/18 03:01 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
I have not read the above thoughts. if you say piano to me.. I think acoustic.
In that case, my sad answer is- Never.

#2922718 - 04/21/18 03:55 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Donsta Offline

I don't have an acoustic piano in my home but I do have access to several nice grands at the college where I teach. My favorite is a Steinway Concert Grand that has a very light action. I could play it all day.

#2922739 - 04/21/18 07:34 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Michael Wright]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: Michael Wright
I have opted for a VPC 1 and various piano libraries.
I had a chance to try out the VPC 1 at NAMM, but thought the action was a bit on the stiff side. The action on the Kawai MP11SE was my favorite, I would like to see that action in a VPC 2, but on the Kawai website a FAQ says this is currently not possible (it would require a larger case). I am using a VAX77 "Ultra Heavy" for the digital piano touch, but it is definitely a compromise...

#2922743 - 04/22/18 12:10 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Marzzz]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
I grew up on an 1893 Bechstein grand, which dominated our modestly-sized living room. It was 203 cm, and the neighbors must have hated it. Wonderful people, though, they never complained, even though my mom had like ten to fifteen students per week, my dad usually played at least an hour a day, and then me and my bro dicovered the joys of boogie woogie.

Now I rent a humble Yamaha upright. Nice enough piano, Iím satisifed with it, but I would never buy it. Iím renting because I want to be able to call the store to take it back and not deal with having to sell it on ebay or craigslist. Selling a used piano in a hurry is not going to work out well.
The store does have a lovely Kawai Baby grand with my name on it. If we ever get a bigger place, Iíd scoop that thing up in a heartbeat.

#2922781 - 04/22/18 07:29 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: zephonic]
kram21 Offline

in the past 20 yrs i have used digital pianos; however i had my mother's 1950'2 Steinway console made nicely playable by a piano repairman [age 80's ] who did a great job-he is the piano tech for the university's Steinway D's and Fazioli's
not using Roland RD 800 nor Cp4 since getting the console back in action but still considering korg gs or rd2000upgrade ;also eventually will get perhaps a kauai Rx7 or YaC-7 or steinway B or C[used of course!!!!!!}

i do have a Kimball 1920's baby grand at my sister's house that i never play-gave it to her 26yrs ago-got tired of moving it each time i moved for med-surg residencies and jobs

#2922783 - 04/22/18 07:35 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: kram21]
kram21 Offline

and Shigeru Kawai SK7 too

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner