Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2916494 - 03/21/18 09:50 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
Nathanael_I Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
The new VC's (Vienna Concert) are a totally different breed and sonic color. A real departure from the traditional Bosendorfer sound. I've played the two concert models - older Imperial and 280 VC - side by side. There are characteristics I like about each, it would be a hard choice to make.

I will say the Bosendorfer 214VC was one of nicest 7'ers I've ever played.

+1

I played the 214VC at what used to be Peninsula Yamaha here in the Bay Area just a month ago. It was a phenomenal piano - it had a volume, presence and resonance that I've never experienced on a Bosendorfer before. It was a stunningly good instrument. I said to the sales person, "Oh, what a 225VC would be like....". I am quite sure I would choose a 280VC over a 290 if the opportunity presented itself and the characteristics I heard scale up.

When I have the opportunity to shop for a world-class instrument, there is no question that the Bosendorfer "VC" instruments will be on the list.

Meanwhile, I am feeling no pain with the RX-7 - I have improvement to do as a player.

I tune my piano three to four times a year, and keep it fully regulated and in top playing condition.

KC Island
#2916495 - 03/21/18 09:56 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Nathanael_I]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I played a Bosendorfer 225 at Keyboard Concepts some years back - before they re-located across the street , on the West side of Van Nuys Blvd.

This was in the middle of the three rooms they had at the old location - North East corner of Burbank & Van Nuys. The great tech Ed Whitting - who was mentioned in this recent thread http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2912280/A_nice_story#Post2912280 - had spent two full days voicing and regulating it.

It was one of the nicest sounding and playing pianos I'd ever touched. And that was on the tile floor of the showroom with glass windows not far away and fairly low ceilings - so not optimum acoustics for a piano.

Just another testament how a highly skilled tech can bring out the best in any piano.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916497 - 03/21/18 10:08 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Nathanael_I]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Nathanael_I
The new VC's (Vienna Concert) are a totally different breed and sonic color. A real departure from the traditional Bosendorfer sound. I've played the two concert models - older Imperial and 280 VC - side by side. There are characteristics I like about each, it would be a hard choice to make.

+1

I played the 214VC at what used to be Peninsula Yamaha here in the Bay Area just a month ago. It was a phenomenal piano - it had a volume, presence and resonance that I've never experienced on a Bosendorfer before. It was a stunningly good instrument. I said to the sales person, "Oh, what a 225VC would be like....". I am quite sure I would choose a 280VC over a 290 if the opportunity presented itself and the characteristics I heard scale up.

When I have the opportunity to shop for a world-class instrument, there is no question that the Bosendorfer "VC" instruments will be on the list.

Meanwhile, I am feeling no pain with the RX-7 - I have improvement to do as a player.

I tune my piano three to four times a year, and keep it fully regulated and in top playing condition.

If I *had* to make a choice, I would go with the new VC model. I hear a tad of the newer Yamaha CXs/CFs in them sonically. The older models have a thicker sound to my ears. While the VCs sounds lighter and gave me the impression of playing a more responsive piano. I still could see a serious Classical player favoring the older model though.

The difference between the two models is not subtle in the least. The VC is a noticeable departure from their traditional sound for them. A move like that is a big gamble. I think it's wise to keep the older models in the lineup as well. I hear the VCs as having a more contemporary sound.

Edited by Dave Ferris (03/21/18 10:29 AM)
Edit Reason: added thoughts

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916504 - 03/21/18 10:20 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Nathanael_I]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
Nice to see some of the arrangements people have.

I'm on a weird situation that I could afford a nice acoustic (even with the exorbitant import taxes), my wife would support purchasing it, but we have no room. I live in a big apartment (for big city standards), but it's still an apartment.

House is planned - but in few years time frame.

My uncle is a professional pianist, I like his arrangement, he has it in adjacent room (I think what is called a den in the U.S.), that has humidity control.

Home organs were huge here in the 80s. Lot of my friends had one in their living room. I'm glad we didn't - I hated it. Took lessons in one and would practice at my aunt's house, but dropped after a year - I think the pedal board technique would be pretty cool nowadays, though.

#2916569 - 03/21/18 03:24 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Nathanael_I]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Nathanael_I

+1

I played the 214VC at what used to be Peninsula Yamaha here in the Bay Area just a month ago. It was a phenomenal piano - it had a volume, presence and resonance that I've never experienced on a Bosendorfer before. It was a stunningly good instrument.

Next to no examples out there with a Bosendorfer 214VC but with a little search I found this. Not a great recording, he's getting a lotta room but the beautiful singing quality and clarity for chords comes across in spades to my ears. All of a sudden I have GAS... cry

And a bit of "Beautiful Love"

Same young fellow, a fine player, on the older 214 model. Different and better recording with less room but you can still discern a thickness in the older Bosie.

Edited by Dave Ferris (03/21/18 04:01 PM)
Edit Reason: added thought

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916728 - 03/22/18 11:50 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I guess we're different that way, Dave. I keep coming back to the traditional Bosie sound vs. the newer VC sound. To my ears, more character and warmth. But I guess there's a good reason why they now have two separate models.

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2916809 - 03/22/18 06:02 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
pianojamma Offline

I have had a Yamaha Grand and babies too smile Lots of keyboards as well. I bought a Yamaha NU-1 a few years ago and absolutely love it ! It never goes out of tune and I love the upright action and it sounds particularly great through headphones.

#2916812 - 03/22/18 06:29 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: eric]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: eric
Somewhere down the line (hopefully much later) I will likely inherit a nice Kawai grand piano (can't remember model number) that my dad bought when I was in HS.

Same here with my Dad's Steinway L - the one I grew up on. Knowing that the majority of his practicing is done in the basement on a Schimmel upright I asked him recently how often he plays the Steinway these days. He said every day. That made me very happy. He'll be 92 tomorrow.

#2916813 - 03/22/18 06:33 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Next to no examples out there with a Bosendorfer 214VC but with a little search I found this. Not a great recording, he's getting a lotta room but the beautiful singing quality and clarity for chords comes across in spades to my ears. All of a sudden I have GAS... cry

Boy they do sound great!! It's calling you, Dave! :):)

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73 | DSI OB-6

#2916816 - 03/22/18 06:49 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JazzPiano88]
John Tweed Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I have not owned a real piano for many years, always opting to spend the money on something I could gig with, not to mention finding somewhere to put it in a house full of growing children. We had a Ronish at home growing up, but it got sold many, many moons ago.

My Gas for new gear has subsided too, although new temptations appear occasionally (Crumar Seven anyone?). Recently I have been relying on my CP4 to keep my hands in shape for those infrequent encounters with the real thing.

Now that I am retired, I am planning to get a modest upright, probably a Yamaha U2, with the expectation that in the next few years I will transition out of playing selected gigs and just play at home. Coming the full circle, so to speak.

#2916826 - 03/22/18 08:15 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JazzPiano88]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: JazzPiano88

Oh man, I wish ! wink

I wrote the piano store and complimented them on the recordings, as well as Javi's tasty playing. I heard back from the recordist today.

He said he's just learning about recording piano and has been experimenting with different mics and placement.

The 214VC recordings were made with a pair of Neumann M150s, nice ! That explains the more distant *classical* type of sound he was getting. Listening again today, the room and more distant sound is a nice effect for this piano. I like it more today then yesterday.

The older 214, that had more definition, was a closer micing with a pair of 414XLS's in mid/side configuration with a little EQ. Both separate recordings used the DAV Broadhurst Gardens No.4 preamp.

He also said he's going to re-record, with Javi and the 214VC, using a pair Schoeps CMC6 MK2 in omni. I think he'll have better results with those. The M150s take a highly skilled engineer and great room acoustics to get the best out of them, especially on solo piano.

He complimented me on my amateur recordings and asked about my mic placement technique....... blush I said, man, I know nothing, I just get lucky. laugh

Actually I get right up on the strings and hammers with the small condenser DPA 4011s. I was told by several prominent engineers that this would be the best route for someone like me to take. It takes my room out of the equation.

Edited by Dave Ferris (03/22/18 08:24 PM)
Edit Reason: added thought

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916827 - 03/22/18 08:18 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Originally Posted By: JazzPiano88

Oh man, I wish ! wink

I wrote the piano store and complimented them on the recordings, as well as Javi's tasty playing. I heard back from the recordist today.

He said he's just learning about recording piano and has been experimenting with different mics and placement.

The 214VC recordings were made with a pair of Neumann M150s, nice ! That explains the more distant *classical* type of sound he was getting. Listening again today, the room and more distant sound is a nice effect for this piano. I like it more today then yesterday.

The older 214, that had more definition, was a closer micing with a pair of 414XLS's in mid/side configuration with a little EQ. Both separate recordings used the DAV Broadhurst Gardens No.4 preamp.

He complimented me on my amateur recordings and asked about my mic placement technique....... I said, man, I know nothing, I just get lucky. laugh

Actually I get right up on the strings and hammers with the small condenser DPA 4011s. I was told by several prominent engineers that this would be the best route for someone like me to take. It takes my room out of the equation.

Wow. Recording an awesome acoustic piano. Way, way beyond my pay grade. Total props to the smart folks who figure out how to do this. I am not one of you, but I certainly appreciate your effort.

Here's the problem for me? Live acoustic piano is always an in-the-moment experience. An almost impossible recording challenge. For those who figure out how to do it, you rock.

I'm thinking close miking as you've done, plus a healthy helping of ambient. Because that's what makes APs amazing, the whole ambient experience, right?

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2916834 - 03/22/18 09:35 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
slg1013 Offline

Hi Dave,

I've not had the pleasure of playing the VC series pianos. As a player with a lighter touch, one of the things that really drew me to the 225 over the 200 was the amount of sound that I could generate with the larger soundboard and the additional body provided by the 4 extra keys.

My relationship with Keyboard Concepts goes back to when they sold synths. I bought both my Korg M-1 and SG-1D from them many years before I got the Bosendorfer. I only met Dennis once when I went to inspect the Bosendorfer. I spent most of my time with Dawn DeMars (I think that was her last name) who used to manage the Thousand Oaks store (which moved to Agoura Hills). Dawn retired a few years ago - a very nice lady and quite a good pianist in her own right.

The tech that I use is the one that KC uses in the Ventura area. He's based in Ojai and we've actually become pretty good friends. I have to admit that I only get the piano tuned 3 times per year, but it's usually drifting somewhat noticeably in the last month before it's tuned again (hence, why it really needs 4 tunings). I haven't had any other work done to the piano in the 16 years I've had it, so perhaps it needs voicing or some other additional work?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Steve

#2916835 - 03/22/18 10:02 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: slg1013]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hi Steve. I'll give you my tech's info. It's public on the RPT Guild site so I'm pretty certain she wouldn't mind.

Teri Meredyth
teri22ns@att.net
https://www.ptg.org/scripts/4disapi.dll/...;MenuKey=Menu27

She responds fastest with email. Tell her I recommended you get in touch.

She's highly trained and experienced with Bosendofer, Steinway, Yamaha and Fazioli. She recently retired from Royce Hall at UCLA after taking care of the pianos there for at least 25 years. Jeffrey Kahane, the LA Chamber Orchestra MD, conductor and pianist would have no one but Teri tune/voice/ regulate for him before a concert or recording session. He recently retired and Teri now takes care of his Fazioli 228 at his home in Pasadena.

She's in Harbor City , quite a distance from Ventura but she goes out to the Ventura Fairgrounds seemingly fairly often to show her two Belgian Malinois at the dog shows there. You might possibly set an appointment at a time to coincide with that. I know she loves hangin' in Ventura a lot. Who doesn't ! wink

If you've never had the piano voiced or regulated in 16 years , I could safely say it will be like your piano is reborn if you let her do her thing with it.

She just spent around 3 hours on my D - voicing and a little regulation - and it's like a different instrument.

I met Dawn once. Nice lady and yeah she could play ! Wow you might go further back with Dennis then me ! I don't recall him ever selling MI. But I do recall he was a Kawai dealer before Yamaha.

Again, the 225 is an incredible piano and I can't fathom you not being knocked out with her expertise. And conversely, I think she'd highly enjoy working on your piano. She might recommend a Dampp-Chaser if you don't already have one, to help stabilize the tuning.

Best with it and let me know how it goes. smile

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916841 - 03/23/18 02:16 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
Thatdude Offline

I`m lucky! Theres a lovely sounding C6 under all the mess and a good upright (and a bonus-Rhodes):)

#2916899 - 03/23/18 07:45 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Rusty Mike]
Lady Gaia Offline

Loc: Seattle
I completely understand the lasting impression Bösendorfer grands have on people. I lived in Calgary in 1988 when the city hosted the Winter Olympics. Oscar Peterson opened the ceremonies on an Imperial Grand that remained in the showroom of a local music store (Western Keyboards, if I remember correctly.) I played that instrument every chance I got and it became my definition for the ideal piano.

Many years later I was finally in the market for my own piano. I didn't really have the budget or space for an Imperial, so I spent a significant amount of time trying to find an alternative whose action and tone inspired me in the same way. Needless to say, most options fell well short of the mark. Thankfully there was one exception. I was very pleasantly surprised by the Shigeru Kawai line. I felt engaged and inspired in much the same way, learned that a significant number of competition jazz pianists chose them for similar reasons, and felt that the aggressive pricing I was offered was too good to pass up. I took delivery of a 7'6" SK-7 a few weeks later and have been the proud owner ever since.

We've moved twice since then, which is always a nerve-wracking affair, and each time we have to list a replacement cost I'm astonished at how much more expensive the line has gotten. Evidently I'm not the only one who thinks highly of them.

#2916950 - 03/23/18 10:23 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Lady Gaia]
scales Offline

Loc: Daphne, AL
At 56, definitely on the list before I kick outta here. Been playing digitals for so long I totally freak out when I get a chance to play a nice acoustic. And there lies the problem. I like NICE pianos $$$. Enjoying my Montage 88 very much. Not complaining here.

#2916961 - 03/23/18 10:56 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: scales]
Mills Dude Offline

Loc: New York
Just don't have the dedicated space for a grand. If I did, I've looked at many used Yamaha C5 pianos over the years. I've got a very old Mason-Hamlin vertical in the living room. When it's properly maintained it sounds excellent, although I'm thinking about getting rid of it. If I did, I would probably replace with a digital at this point, like a Kawai CA98.
In the studio, I have a VPC1 hooked up to Pianoteq. It's become my goto.

#2916967 - 03/23/18 11:14 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Mills Dude]
DOhm Offline

Loc: Colorado
I recently played a Bosendorfer 280VC and a Yamaha S7X. Both very wonderful pianos. I felt like the Yamaha was a bit more versatile in regards to playing many different genres of music (classical, jazz, rock, pop, etc). It has that very percussive pop when a note is struck that is so popular with modern music. It also sounded like a good piano for recording. The Bosendorfer reached into the soul and was amazing. There was a special connection between the sound, feeling of the keys and tone of the instrument. I don't know how to explain it, but it was a unique connection.

I have friends that put that kind of money down on nice cars. I could easily pass on the car and spend on the piano. It is really great to wind down in the evenings after work by playing the piano.

#2916969 - 03/23/18 11:27 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Lady Gaia]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: Lady Gaia
I was very pleasantly surprised by the Shigeru Kawai line.... I'm astonished at how much more expensive the line has gotten. Evidently I'm not the only one who thinks highly of them.

The piano I am bringing back from my parents' house is a Kawai upright. They bought it new almost 40 years ago when I was in school and getting better at playing piano. Over the years I go through EPs, romplers, DPs, and I still come back to that piano. Good action, good tone, and holds its tuning really well. Have to admit I would have an Imperial Grand if I had the moola and the space.

#2916971 - 03/23/18 11:46 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: WavePackets
I recently played a Bosendorfer 280VC and a Yamaha S7X. Both very wonderful pianos. I felt like the Yamaha was a bit more versatile in regards to playing many different genres of music (classical, jazz, rock, pop, etc).

Having had two Yamahas - C7 & S6 - I feel they are tough to beat for pop/rock/RnB type contexts in the studio. Engineers love 'em. They always sit great in a mix and don't have the thicker more complex overtones you have on a Steinway. Or a thinner tone you get on some European pianos. If the engineer has maintained the Yamaha and has good mics, preamp and the skill - they can sound great for Jazz too.

I'm confused with Yamaha's product line these days. You have the standard CX pianos, which are very nice and to my ears a great improvement over the old C series.

Then what appears to be the flagship CF/CFX. Which are really fantastic pianos!

Now a newer entry of the SX pianos , which seem to be positioned in between the CX and CF. I've never played an SX so I wouldn't know how it compares to my older '97 S6. It is confusing though with a lot of different price points. confused

The 280VC would leave anyone in awe after even 30 seconds on one. I played one literally days out of the crate at Keyboard Concepts. It hadn't been touched , not even a minor touch up tuning and it sounded fabulous. Such a different sound and experience from my piano. I still feel the NY Steinway is the most versatile and speaks the best to my everyday tonal preferences but the 280VC would be incredible to own needless to say.

I came across a promo endorsement for the 280VC from the iconic Andras Schiff. He's probably the most visible name Artist playing the VCs now in concert. He made a comment towards the end that was cool - "...most people think of the piano as a percussion instrument. I beg to differ. All instruments try to imitate the human voice". thu

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916977 - 03/23/18 01:00 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
DOhm Offline

I believe the Yamaha SX series in about taking some lessons from Bosendorfer and applying to the Yamaha pianos. The S7x was less bright than the other yamaha pianos and had a touch of that Bosendorfer singing sound. I'm going to go play one again tomorrow. Too bad there are not more good recordings on youtube of both the Bosendorfer VCs and Yamaha SX pianos. I would love to hear some professional recordings.

#2916980 - 03/23/18 01:14 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Equal time and a very cool lady.. cool

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916982 - 03/23/18 01:19 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: cphollis]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Last year I sold my mother's house and sadly left my late 1800's Boston upright with the new owners. I did not have a place for it and could not find anyone who wanted it. At this stage of my life I'm perfectly happy with my RD-2000.

#2917001 - 03/23/18 02:42 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: cphollis]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: cphollis
I guess we're different that way, Dave. I keep coming back to the traditional Bosie sound vs. the newer VC sound. To my ears, more character and warmth. But I guess there's a good reason why they now have two separate models.

Same for me. For the little that can be understood from the YT videos, I would tend to prefer the older model, with its warm and singing tone.
Last year, I fell seriously in love with a Boesendorfer 200; it just seemed to read my mind. A true mystical experience!
And the absolute best piano I have ever played was a 290 Imperial at the Colon Theatre in Buenos Aires. Piano perfection. After the concert, I kept playing it until they had to close the place and forced me to leave....

#2917026 - 03/23/18 06:42 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: marino]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I grew up with a Wurlitzer baby grand in my parents living room (this was the room in the mid-60's that we weren't allowed to go in, and the furniture was covered by clear plastic covers). I took lessons from age 6 to 8 (1966-68), but didn't stick with it. When we moved further out on Long Island in the early 70's, my mom had the piano refinished in gloss white, to match the modern "decor." Soon afterward I discovered ELP, Rick Wakeman/Yes, etc. and started up again, this time for real. Took lessons from '75-78 and got pretty decent, but always regretted I missed so many years to really learn the instrument. Played it constantly for hours/day during that time, then went off to college...the white piano went off to my sister's house in Michigan, to match the decor.

Years later, after paying off student loans, etc. and finally getting a house in 2002, I purchased a Steinway L in 2003- 50% down, and a year of payments to one of those piano loan companies (Allegro something-or-other). Only problem was, within a year or so my wife (a business journalist) started working from home. Between that and my own extremely busy work life, I really don't have time to play it as much as I want. By the time I get home, I am exhausted, and will occasionally noodle on it, or go to my little studio and play my keyboard with Pianoteq. Oh well...

#2917037 - 03/23/18 09:50 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Marzzz]
agitato Offline

I have a 52 inch early 70s Kawai BL-61 upright in polished ebony.

#2917040 - 03/23/18 11:14 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: agitato]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Regardless of what digital rendition of a piano I play, I always come back to my 60s schimmel upright with electrical lights. It sounds and plays fantastic, but I should probably get the clubs fixed. Still dreams of owning a realgrand though, had a really old Petrof when I was young, not he best piano though.

I have the space but not really the money to buy a grand piano, at least not in acoording to my wife :-). Yesterday I wen’t into the yamaha pianocenter to play they’re offerings. S6 was really nice and so was the G7x. 15 years(probably more) ago I was engaged in the board of a small countryside concert hall that brought fantastic classical musicians, the pianist Per Tengstrand and his his wife Shanshan sun stopped by to play solo and duets. They brought a Shigeru Kawai piano, SK6 I think it was, it came a couple of days before the concert and stayed for a few days after-I never played that much ever, best piano I ever played, I’ve been wanting one ever since.

We have a yamaha piano center and a few stores selling used pianos, but they are dying and old pianos are being given away(people here in sweden prefer big tvs instead of a real instrument...really sad, and then they buy a digital piano), throwed away, actually quite a few get shipped to eastern euorope. Since i pass Copenhagen regularily I need to plan a trip to the Steinway store.

Next up on our renovating scheme is the living room so perhaps time to get rid of the schimmel, some rhodes pianos and some other electric keys to get the real deal.

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2917109 - 03/24/18 10:51 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: fjzingo]
DOhm Offline

I played the Bosendorfer 214VC, Bosendorfer 280VC, and Yamaha S7X this morning (and a few others). I actually thought I was going to fall in love with the 214VC, but I ended up pulling the trigger on the S7X! They were all amazing, and I would not mind owning a Bosendorfer 280VC some day, but not now. I preferred the S7X a little over the 214VC, but both are really amazing. I believe the S7X has the Bosendorfer sound board, and it has that extra 6 inches. To me it sounds like the perfect marriage between a Bosendorfer and a Yamaha - good for classical, pop, jazz, rock, recording, etc.

#2917179 - 03/24/18 07:00 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Michael W Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, IL
Yamaha U3 52" upright downstairs. I bought it new in 2003.

Yamaha Montage 8 upstairs.

To be honest, I rarely ever play the U3. We'll be downsizing to a condo or townhouse somewhere in the coming years, and I'll sell it.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner