Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2916208 - 03/20/18 08:27 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Rusty Mike]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I have three uprights. One is an old Price and Teeple upright built like a tank but the action is terrible. I just needed it as my daughter was taking lessons. I also have an upright and my moms and dads. Both in need of tuning. My buddy is a vice president of the techs guild around here and said people don't by pianos or they are being sold in record numbers as older people leave homes for apartments or assisted living. It's kind of sad to see something that once was a focal point of the living room for entertainment be reduced to a throwaway instrument.

noblevibes.com

KC Island
#2916226 - 03/20/18 09:41 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: cphollis]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
Originally Posted By: cphollis
Originally Posted By: Losendoskeys

I have had "purists" tell me it is not a real acoustic piano but frankly that is BS because that is exactly what it sounds like.

I think the V Piano is a wonderful instrument that can emulate an incredible range of acoustic pianos, including many not found in the physical world.

But I wouldn't say it's identical to an acoustic piano, where we're talking vibrating physical strings, soundboard and case vs. speakers or headphones.

Not better or worse, just different? Having played both, they aren't the same experience -- at least to me.

Do you mean V-Grand or V-Piano? They aren't the same.

You aren't comparing eggs with eggs.

I've played various grand pianos which sounded crap and a few that sounded good. Some had dreadful action and some good.

I know I can find a grand piano sound that I like in the V-Grand and I know I like the action
Why should I care if it has strings? I'm not doing a Keith Emerson anytime soon. It is otherwise constructed like a mini-grand piano, just the "sound generator" is different.
Horses for courses I think.

#2916288 - 03/20/18 12:37 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Legatoboy]
Ross Ward Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Another YUX owner, mine from 1983. I bought it back in the fall as my first foray into nice (relatively speaking) acoustic pianos. I had my grandfather's Lester spinet upright before that, but it was barely playable and sounded, eh...not so great. I've been very happy with the YUX so far. Hopefully one day we'll have the room and cash for a grand of some sort.

#2916305 - 03/20/18 02:30 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Ross Ward]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
For ages I said, "I don't need a real piano, a digital is good enough!" facepalm Somewhere along the line I got convinced otherwise. So I started with this.

That was a good for a few years, but it needed lots of work. I learned a lot by fixing a lot of things myself, and I think I made her much more playable. But, it still needed work and a few years later I graduated to this.

It's still my pride and joy (as far as musical instruments, anyway!). And I've hardly worked on it, compared to the previous one. It's due for a regulation though. I don't think it's bad, but better to keep it in shape.

There's nothing like playing a real piano. Some technology has gotten close or so I hear, but still. I'm happy.

#2916312 - 03/20/18 03:23 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Joe Muscara]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Kawai RX-2 is a great home piano!
Not too large not too small - play and sound like a piano should and comparatively affordable both new and second hand.

#2916327 - 03/20/18 04:33 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: ElmerJFudd]
DOhm Offline

Loc: Colorado
Really loving these stories. Seems everyone has a real connection with their pianos. Inspiring me to play more!

#2916330 - 03/20/18 04:47 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
The current state of the lovely Petrof upright I've had for 15 years is that it is piled high with stuff we are trying to keep away from our 2 yo daughter, who likes nothing better than to climb things to grab stuff off the top, but a piano is an imposing obstacle for her. She keeps trying to scale it and we keep looking for ways to stop her.

roccoromanucci.com

#2916331 - 03/20/18 04:54 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Originally Posted By: WavePackets
Really loving these stories. Seems everyone has a real connection with their pianos. Inspiring me to play more!

Yeah, it should. Great stories here about people who scraped to get a half-decent acoustic piano into their lives, and love it. Key message? You don't have to spend a ton of money to have a decent AP experience.

All good. And I get it -- give me a working piano that doesn't entirely suck, and I I will fully engage. I had a G3 for a while, a U1, etc. before I did my current beast. Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby.

EDIT: If you've got the means to lay down big for the killer instrument, I'd encourage you to do it. I did, like stupid big. To this day, zero regrets whatsoever. Not like I'm thinking "jeez, I've could have bought XYZ". Every time I sit down at the Bosie, it's a huge smile. That's worth something, right?

The only similar thing I've seen is with the B3 crowd. Passionate response, and I get it as well.

I'm holding off on that for a variety of reasons (e.g. physical space!) but will succumb before long.

It's only a matter of time.

You used to read these stories of people who installed a full theatre organ into their 2 bedroom / 1.5 bath suburb houses. I get it.

Edited by cphollis (03/20/18 05:22 PM)
Edit Reason: More thoughts?

Keys: NP2, NS3C
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC K.2s, EVOX J8, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 18

#2916336 - 03/20/18 05:22 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Adan]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
smile

No getting around that my friend.
I’ve done 2 as well. I bet more than a few of us.
You will survive and play your piano again!

#2916346 - 03/20/18 06:14 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Nathanael_I Offline

I have had acoustic grand pianos for many years, and they have been my constant and dominant musical companion. There is something about how the sound mixes on the big soundboard that even the best "string resonance simulations" just don't do. There is a harmonic richness and color that I never tire of.

My first piano was a Baldwin made "Hamilton" baby grand. I received it as a gift from my grandfather upon his passing. I had that piano rebuilt - new belly and Renner action, etc. I used it happily for several years, and it sat in our living room at the time.

About the time I could make my first music room, a friend tipped me off to a worn-out, beat down Steinway A from 1885 (85 keys, not 88!). It went immediately to my rebuilder and came back in wonderful shape. Full new belly, new Renner action, German hammers and wire, etc. That was a massive step up, and I enjoyed that piano a lot.

After moving to California, I had a small Kohler and Campbell 5'1 grand. It was about comparable to the Hamilton, moderately used before me, but very playable, and much more satisfying than any digital I've played.

Just weeks ago, a twenty-year dream came true - I was able to purchase a 7.5' Kawai RX-7 in mint condition. It had been played for 2-3 years by a small child and then left to sit - fully maintained for 9 years, waiting for me to buy it in like new condition for a fraction of the price. (A price I could not have paid, new). Our own Dave Ferris provided the lead, casually in a thread a few weeks ago. I followed up and it arrived a week ago. It is, as he suggested, a "serious piano". It has smooth, even bass of a big piano. The long keys give delightful layers of pianissimo that none of my other pianos have had, and the damper system is a precision tool, not a blunt smeary blender of tone. Everything about it is better than my previous instruments, and I am exploring all the new tones, colors, and dynamics it offers. I am already more expressive on it.

All my pianos have been used - some lightly and some heavily prior to my ownership. Every one has been more satisfying than any digital or sample I've owned, even when played through very high end amplification at "acoustic volume".

An acoustic piano is my center - I play it far more than anything else. I had a Kronos, but only played it at church, and ended up selling it to them when they wanted to upgrade. Now I still play it there. But here in my studio, I no longer have a ROMpler, and no real need. I have many synths, a world of computer synths and samplers, but the acoustic piano is where I think and express myself.

Someday I still aspire to a Fazioli 225 or perhaps a Stuart & Sons. But the satisfaction I am getting from a semi-concert grand moves me deeply. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Edited by Nathanael_I (03/20/18 06:15 PM)

#2916350 - 03/20/18 06:21 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Rusty Mike]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

I wish I could afford a high end AP but not to be... practice on my trusty RD-800.

#2916353 - 03/20/18 06:36 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: rickzjamm]
Nathanael_I Offline

Here in the Bay Area, you can find a serviceable, immediately playable grand like the Kohler and Campbell I had for about $3,500 any time on Craigslist. It doesn't solve the space problem, but playing on a grand can be cheaper than a Nord Stage.

Like others here, my musical instruments collection has always had more value than any car I've owned. That has been true since I was 19. For me, instruments are more important than cars, and that has always "shown". I drive a seven year old Toyata, and chose my piano upgrade over getting a newer vehicle. Everyone has their own situation and priorities, which is why these threads never reach any definite conclusion. There is no right answer that suits everyone.

I am blessed with a wife and adult children who encourage me to be me and are happy that I am happy with my choices.

#2916354 - 03/20/18 06:37 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: cphollis]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: cphollis
EDIT: If you've got the means to lay down big for the killer instrument, I'd encourage you to do it. I did, like stupid big. To this day, zero regrets whatsoever. Not like I'm thinking "jeez, I've could have bought XYZ". Every time I sit down at the Bosie, it's a huge smile. That's worth something, right?

I have dreams of trading in my C7D for a new(er) C7X. I've played it and the new scale and action are just unbelievable. I feel like I can play twice as good, if that makes any sense.

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73 | DSI OB-6

#2916358 - 03/20/18 06:43 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JazzPiano88]
Nathanael_I Offline

It makes total sense. I am doing things with ease on this RX-7 that I was not doing at all on the Kohler and Campbell.... Everything is more expressive just because it is so accessible.

#2916359 - 03/20/18 06:44 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: rickzjamm]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
In 1990, we bought our first home and had room for a small grand piano. I had a Rhodes since 1976 but never an acoustic piano. A local bookstore sold Sunday newspapers from all over the country and I’d look through the pianos for sale classifieds of all the papers from cities within 6 hrs drive. I found our 1929 Steinway M in the NY Times. It was in Westport, CT, had been owned by the Yale Glee Club, rebuilt and refinished by A&C Pianocraft in NYC, and still had all the ivory key tops. I drove 5 hrs, played it, loved it, and think we paid $10,000 then $500 to have a piano mover bring it home. It’s been maintained by the same person since then.

I don’t play it enough. frown

#2916362 - 03/20/18 06:51 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Nathanael_I]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Nathanael_I
I am blessed with a wife and adult children who encourage me to be me and are happy that I am happy with my choices.

That is definitely a blessing and must make you feel great!!!

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73 | DSI OB-6

#2916395 - 03/20/18 08:46 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JazzPiano88]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
So happy my post led you to that Kawai Nathanael ! That's a smokin' piano ! That 7'6" semi concert size is a perfect scale.

Wishing you many happy years of creative music making. thu

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916396 - 03/20/18 08:52 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
K. Kawai KG-3

dB

rockit ==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Crumar • elysia • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio

#2916404 - 03/20/18 09:57 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Dave Bryce]
slg1013 Offline

We have two pianos in the house. The first, a Baldwin Acrosonic, was my grandparent's piano that they gave my parents when they got married. My father played and it was the instrument that I played as a child. My parents gave me that piano when I moved out after college and I still love it, although it is definitely in need of some TLC.

When I was in college, I had the opportunity to play several fantastic pianos. My freshman year, a donor sent my piano teacher to the Steinway factory in Germany to select a concert grand for the school. He chose a wonderful sounding instrument Steinway, but I had trouble with the stiffness of the action. In this teacher's studio, however, were a pair of 1910 New York Steinways that not only sounded wonderful, but were a pleasure to play for someone who prefers a lighter action. The school also had a Mason & Hamlin concert grand that I didn't prefer.

Fast forward about 15 years to 2000 and I'm fortunate to be in the right industry at the right time. After buying the house that my wife wanted, the first purchase was a piano to fill the living room. I went to the yearly Bosendorfer event at Keyboard Concepts in Sherman Oaks and after playing all the models, plus the Steinways and Schimmels they had, I decided on the Bosendorfer 225, and it has not disappointed. My father tried to convince me to get the 290, but it would have been too much. Played full out with the lid open, the 225 can be heard across the street with the windows closed. I've had it now for 16 years and it is by far my favorite toy. It can be a bit temperamental and needs to be tuned at least 4 times/year but it is well worth it.

#2916408 - 03/20/18 11:24 PM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: slg1013]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Wow, congrats ! The 225 can be a powerful piano yet retain that singing tone that everyone loves about Bosendofers.

The new VC's (Vienna Concert) are a totally different breed and sonic color. A real departure from the traditional Bosendorfer sound. I've played the two concert models - older Imperial and 280 VC - side by side. There are characteristics I like about each, it would be a hard choice to make.

I will say the Bosendorfer 214VC was one of nicest 7'ers I've ever played.

Dennis Haggerty is a good friend, I'm glad he got your business.

Four times a year is a lot for tuning. I've never gone more then three times and most often it's twice. If you aren't satisfied with your current tech, message me here and I'll give you the number of mine. She's excellent, much experience with Bosendorfers and a good friend of Dennis too btw. In fact Dennis sends her out for most all the high end clients and when there might be a problem. Assuming you are in the LA area.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2916430 - 03/21/18 05:44 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Rusty Mike]
Stokely Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Florida
I have an old Mason & Hamlin given to me by a relative...not one of the "good" M&H pianos based on checking the years, and it's basically a spinet. Sounds ok, and very light action. Unfortunately my tuner said it has a major issue (soundboard iirc) and it's the worth of the piano to fix it...so I'm leaning toward getting rid of it when we redo our floors and either getting a digital or sticking to my controller+software. My kids take lessons, but they are getting older and can use the software as well...it sounds better, and I've got no latency--but I will miss an actual piano for the wood reverberation etc. The main issue is that to get a good one is pretty $, and for the money of a mediocre one you can get a great software/digital rig. Secondary issue is that we may move depending on my job. This is has become so common now that I imagine it is one factor in people buying less pianos...used to be you'd work for one company for decades and stay in one spot!

I'm not much of a player, never learned to read music. I play keyboards in a band and can do a few things in rock/pop genres but classical and jazz are basically a scary spot on the map that reads "there be dragons" smile

#2916449 - 03/21/18 07:16 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Stokely]
Mizu Offline

Loc: Hoboken, NJ
I started taking lessons at age 9, and my parents went and bought a used eastern European upright - no brand name or markings of any sort on it. It's still at my parents place, mostly out of tune, with a few dodgy keys, but since it's a continent away it gets played maybe twice or three times a year. The action is so light, you glance at the keys and it makes a sound, which probably wasn't ideal to learn on, but hey, what did I know?

I played keyboards for most of college and for a few years after I moved stateside. Then luck struck, we bought an 1890s brownstone and the parlor floor was just incomplete without a piano. So I went hunting. I had my eyes set on a Steinway (similar to cphollis' journey toward the Klimt), but none spoke to me (room was an issue, so a 7-footer was out of the question). Then I came across this Estonia 168, and from the moment I sat down I knew this was "it". Went around the store, played others, but came back to the Estonia every time. I've had it for close to 10 years now, and it's been an absolute joy. The tone changes through the seasons and the tunings in subtle ways, but it's always pleasant, and I find that I adapt my playing over time until my trusty tech comes and gives it the once over.

My 10 y/o daughter started taking lessons (not from dad, because, well, dads can be terrible teachers) and she's improvising and playing without us having to prod, which I think has a lot to do with having that big hunk of wood and metal at her disposal.

#2916459 - 03/21/18 07:41 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Outkaster]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
It's kind of sad to see something that once was a focal point of the living room for entertainment be reduced to a throwaway instrument.

This is the same thing that happened to the home organ. When was the last time you saw a living room with one of those?? Used to be as common as a cold, now they're in landfills.

#2916462 - 03/21/18 07:57 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Bobby Simons]
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
It's kind of sad to see something that once was a focal point of the living room for entertainment be reduced to a throwaway instrument.

This is the same thing that happened to the home organ. When was the last time you saw a living room with one of those??

Those are the two keyboards that get played the most in my house, and both of them are in my living room... idk

I do allow for the possibility that I may not be representative of the norm in this respect. grin

dB

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Crumar • elysia • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio

#2916464 - 03/21/18 08:14 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: DOhm]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: WavePackets
Anyone really into high end pianos?

I'm really into high-end pianos, but no way I'm getting in to one. frown

I do have a Webster WG-60 grand that I'm very happy with, although the digital hybrids are getting so good I may be going that route someday.

#2916473 - 03/21/18 08:43 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: Bobby Simons]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons

This is the same thing that happened to the home organ. When was the last time you saw a living room with one of those?? Used to be as common as a cold, now they're in landfills.

other than the photo from Thousand Oaks CA, if you take the short drive down the NJ Turnpike to Springfield VA, Bobby, Markyboard has a B3 with 2 (yes 2) Leslie 122's in his living room. There is a video somewhere around here of Jimmy (blueskeys) singing and playing it.
I agree with dB, though, this is not the norm. Were my crib bigger I would hope to move my A100 and Leslie 142 into a living room like dB, but I don't think my wife would allow it. facepalm
Moe

#2916480 - 03/21/18 09:06 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: davedoerfler]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
I was searching for the original thread where I shared this on the forum - found it from 2005, but looks like my original photos were lost somewhere in the shuffle of online storage.

I had a beat up 75 year old upright and replaced it with a nice Yamaha studio upright. I'm happy with it. Somewhere down the line (hopefully much later) I will likely inherit a nice Kawai grand piano (can't remember model number) that my dad bought when I was in HS.

#2916490 - 03/21/18 09:38 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: davedoerfler]
KCFFL Champ '14,'16,'18
20k Club

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
I would hope to move my A100 and Leslie 142 into a living room like dB, but I don't think my wife would allow it. facepalm

I got lucky in the fact that my wife grew up with a grandmother who had a Hammond and Leslie in the living room, so she was actually psyched to have it there. cool

She says I do not play it like her grandma. idk

dB

#2916491 - 03/21/18 09:38 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: JazzPiano88]
Nathanael_I Offline

Originally Posted By: JazzPiano88
Originally Posted By: Nathanael_I

That is definitely a blessing and must make you feel great!!!

It is true! It comes with it a responsibility for me to extend the same grace and support to them, even when I don't "get it". We are all learning how to be completely passionate about our "thing" and leave room for others to be that way about theirs and not be uncaring about listening to each other talk about things we don't understand. (or want to understand).

#2916492 - 03/21/18 09:42 AM Re: What is your piano situation [Re: slg1013]
Nathanael_I Offline

Originally Posted By: slg1013
I went to the yearly Bosendorfer event at Keyboard Concepts in Sherman Oaks and after playing all the models, plus the Steinways and Schimmels they had, I decided on the Bosendorfer 225, and it has not disappointed.

I have played some magnificent Bosendorfer 225's in my explorations of high-end pianos. There was one at Cunningham Pianos in NJ 20 years ago (when I very much could not afford it), that provided a completely transcendent experience for me. What a wonderful instrument you chose!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner