Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feedback appreciation

• 2 weeks later...

This one's only a brief feedback moment within the track [2:35~2:40] but I strongly suggest listening to this in full.

Almost the entire track (from 0:55~ the coda) is a gtr solo by Elliot Ingber, aka The Winged Eel, once a member of Zappa's early bands, later leader of the Fraternity of Man & here a member of a mid-period version Captain Beefheart's Magic band (later also of various combos & session incl. Little Feat)....

Anyhow, this is built on what we might call the FZ style (long repeated vamp w/free-from gtr improv).

Let yer ears have at it !

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

• 3 weeks later...

Posted elsewhere but included here for the surprising moment at 29:50 where McLaughlin generates some acoustic feedback.

Relapsing to his days as a sessioneer, JM drops some funk into this perf from 1994 that I just discovered.

Chk 25:00~26:00 (followed by a reversion to "gnat-note" polyrhytmics :facepalm: )....

...then 29:29~30:55 (including a brief feedback flurry at 29:50+ :o before drifting into some hard boppery :snax: ....

...at 34:24 the funk is back under the bop kboards before switching to a surprising rock section at 34:54....

...at 35:23, more funk w/ some distinctly Hendrixian licks that bloom into a beautiful chordal figure at 35:59...

d=halfnote

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That one was so sly I missed it back in radio days !

Here's one that's more overt...though not as overt as Chris Robinson's multi-channeling of PeeWee Herman & Bob Plant.

A couple times, just before the vocals [1:09] & just before his solo [3:50], JP let's the lion roar for a moment.

If you can ignore Chrissy, check how well structured the 3 gtr architecture is & & the wonders that the Orange :freak: amp brings forth @ 2:10 & 3:29.

&, while JPage has never been my fave guitarist, the lick he unreels at 4:05~ :rawk: ~4:10 is phenomenal, which, followed by the climactic ritard he does w/the drummer, makes this the best music I've heard in the last hour, at least !

Non-pertinently but relevantly [ :D ], here's a point abt the long shadow some musical forms can have.

d=halfnote

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Let's see Davey Gilmour do this !

2 classic feed back moments

highlights

intro / PT shannels his inner JH / 0:00~1:05

2nd solo / 1:55~3:15 / note esp the section 2:53+

3rd solo-finale / 3:20~end

starting @ 4:00 mark Pete illustrates his classic "D shapes up the neck as jazzy chord extensions" technique building to a classic feedback moment before he calms back down for an even hipper illustration of that technique

d=halfnote

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, hurricane hugo said:

Looking at these guys in the video, you would not at all figure that I was re-animating this thread on account of them. For most of the song, that assumption would hold true. Then it doesn't.

Nice. Sounds like he (or maybe even someone else) is working a wah during said feedback excursion; a nice touch.

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _