Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2914684 - 03/13/18 10:59 AM pedals in racks, MIDI
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

someone asked about this here... whether it was in vogue or something, or why not with the size of some of the pedals boards popping up.

I have a pedal board that splits in half to fit in a road case... but both halves together (though people like to freak out that there's two halves) are not as big as what most people are lugging around these days... and there's a reason for that, because space onstage is tight a lot of the time, and I can configure things to work, as well as pair stuff down to just one of the boards as needed in some cases.

I have noticed people who are retired from gigging selling the midi effects controller systems for cheap these days... and that is tempting on one level, assuming I could make peace with tweaking things on the fly, though the option of having the pedals in drawers next to me that I can reach over and tweak is more appealing than bending over.

Any of you use those rigs?

GP Island
#2914858 - 03/14/18 07:04 AM Re: pedals in racks, MIDI [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Here's a used Ground Control . . .

Ground Control

IME, you also need an audio router to go with the MIDI switcher. I was looking into these some time back, and decided it would represent more expense and effort than utility, for my purposes. YEMV, of course.

FWIW, almost any MFX pedalboard will work as a MIDI Switcher, by sending PC#'s.
"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose