Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2914565 - 03/12/18 05:37 PM So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap.
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

It was a price too good to pass up, from the original owner with the original packaging. The more desirable Japanese made version. Firmware version 2, but I have sourced Eproms for the latest version.
I was not in the market. My Forte remains my go to digital piano for live use. I figured I could mess around with it - I have some modules and software with poly aftertouch, and no matter what would not take a loss on it if I did not care for it.
But.....I care for it. A lot.

The action is fantastic, programming it not as arcane as it has been made out to be, the ability to adjust touch sensitivity via a slider more useful than I'd have imagined, and yes - using poly aftertouch with my OB6, and other synths is a joy.

I cannot imagine the gig for which I would take it out on a regular basis, but is sure is nice to have sitting in the studio.

KC Island
#2914566 - 03/12/18 05:47 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: Beethree]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
one more really cool thing to add to your signature. cool thu

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2914569 - 03/12/18 06:16 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: davedoerfler]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

My gear sig needs a pretty big overhaul!!!

#2914570 - 03/12/18 06:23 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: Beethree]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Our sympathies. That thing is heavy. smile

Edited by CEB (03/12/18 06:24 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2914577 - 03/12/18 06:49 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: CEB]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Score! Saw one in Guitar Center about 10 years ago. Seriously considered it. Yes, nice action.

#2914580 - 03/12/18 07:15 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: CEB]
Kawai James Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted By: CEB
Our sympathies. That thing is heavy. smile

Beat me too it.

I was going to respond "Crikey, are you okay?! Can you still walk?", etc.

But anyway, congrats to the OP - that's something of a cult board!

Cheers,
James
x

#2914599 - 03/12/18 11:10 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: Kawai James]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah, they are fabulous. I had a Rev 3 with the upgraded keybed, but sold it when I got my VAX77. In retrospect, should have kept it also...I know where it is, just need to convince him to sell it back to me. Definitely a studio piece these days, that thing is HEAV-VY!

#2914601 - 03/13/18 12:45 AM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: Marzzz]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Forum member The real MC still uses one live I think....

What is it with those things? Never played one in my life.

#2914609 - 03/13/18 03:01 AM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: RudyS]
b3keys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Finleyville,PA,UNITED STATES
Ouch!

Enjoy!

#2914616 - 03/13/18 04:20 AM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: b3keys]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Poly AT is an amazing thing! Good Luck - nice!

#2914626 - 03/13/18 05:25 AM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: Marzzz]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Marzzz
Yeah, they are fabulous. I had a Rev 3 with the upgraded keybed, but sold it when I got my VAX77. In retrospect, should have kept it also...I know where it is, just need to convince him to sell it back to me. Definitely a studio piece these days, that thing is HEAV-VY!

I've owned a VAX77 as well - which I regret selling. I have no plans to gig with the Midiboard, but one never knows.

#2914639 - 03/13/18 07:10 AM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: RudyS]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: RudyS
Forum member The real MC still uses one live I think....

Yup. I have two, one stays in the studio and the other is gigged. It's a very good MIDI controller for live work.

Ten years ago I moved to a new home and my studio went in the basement where there is no ground level access. When I got back into live work, I didn't really want to cart that thing up and down stairs and I didn't want to repeatedly dismantle it from my studio as it gets a lot of use. Used MBs were easy to find for little money so it made more sense to get a 2nd one for live work. No learning curve either.

When I need to build new configurations, I do that work in the studio then I run a 50ft MIDI cable from the basement and transfer a sysex dump to the gigging MB without taking it out of the truck.

Quote:
What is it with those things? Never played one in my life.

I'm a piano player, and it's the closest to a real piano action I have felt. Have yet to find anything new that feels that good and works with any playing technique I learned on the piano. New DPs these days are too stiff and they don't always work with every technique.

Very comprehensive MIDI implementation, although any MIDI enhancements since they were last built in 1992 - such as 14 bit CC - have missed the boat. Not a big deal though, as I use newer knob controllers for 14 bit CC.

Bulletproof. I bought mine new in 1989 and it has been zero trouble. I do have a flight case to gig the thing, and they aren't lightweight. But they are well worth the trouble.

Sure it is "limited" to three splits and eight layers. Frankly I never needed more than that. The LED/button interface appears cryptic at first, but the more you use it the more intuitive it becomes. I haven't needed to refer to the user manual in a long time.

Besides one of the few controllers with polyAT, I like the fact that monoAT, the wheels, the foot pedals/switches, the soft pots/buttons can be assigned to any MIDI CC. I just got a MIDI retrofit for the ARP ProSoloist which can receive MIDI monoAT - I always wished that thing had a pitch bend wheel or ribbon, but I can accomplished that now over MIDI using the MB.

#2914701 - 03/13/18 12:59 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: The Real MC]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
I run a 50ft MIDI cable from the basement and transfer a sysex dump to the gigging MB without taking it out of the truck.

Neighbor: Hey man, what's up? Is your battery dead?

MC: No, I'm doing a sysex dump to my keyboard in the truck.

Neighbor: freak Uh, see you later...

poke grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2914703 - 03/13/18 01:10 PM Re: So a Kurzweil Midiboard fell in my lap. [Re: Joe Muscara]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
Best PAT board besides the CS-80.
I keep trying to find good PAT and Infinite Response had the software end covered but their graded keys reminded me of the Steam Calliope on the SS Admiral I often played.

Good solid MIDI too.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner