Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2914536 - 03/12/18 02:05 PM Looking To Purchase A New Synth
SynthGeek Offline

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum but I have been reading posts here for years. I really value your opinions. So, here is the situation:
I am the music director in my small Church. We do modern praise and worship music similar to Jesus Culture, Bether Worship, etc. For years I have used a Triton Pro x but it is getting old and I want to replace it. I tried software synths but I have an issue with the initial sound of some of the piano patches. They have very little bass out of the box and sound somewhat flat but there is definately a realism not found in the triton. I decided that I want to purchase a new 88 key synth for main keyboard duty, piano, ep and omnisphere type pads. I have tried the motif but the piano was more sharp and bright than I like. I tried the new Korgs but they seems similar to the triton. The roland fa-08 I tried fit my sound really well. I wanted to ask opinions here about what you think of the Roland and will it work overall in the Church for modern worship. does it have any pitfalls I should be aware of? Thanks!

KC Island
#2914538 - 03/12/18 02:29 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: SynthGeek]
Macsaint777 Offline

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN. USA
What is your budget exactly? For what you are doing, I personally think the Nord Stage 3 88 cannot be beat, ESPECIALLY for Worship Music. I use my Nord for the exact groups songs you mentioned above.

An FA-08 is fine, but I think the Nord has several advantages.

Since you have mentioned piano realism being important (it is to me as well) I also find the Nord Piano library to be the best option for me when I need versatility in worship. The Uprights are my favorite... so much character!

Look forward to helping you on this journey! Also, WELCOME!

To give you an idea of what sounds I use, I will be glad to provide audio examples if you would like!

Ben Allen

Edited by Macsaint777 (03/12/18 02:31 PM)

#2914561 - 03/12/18 04:54 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: Macsaint777]
SynthGeek Offline

Thanks for responding! I didn't have enough time earlier to go into much detail. I need a workstation for home use. I play live on Sundays but use the keyboard at home during the week. As for the Nord, I have heard great things about it and have seen it on every video of almost all modern worship bands. I ran through several videos on it to understand it's features and sounds. I love it but have nowhere near enough in the budget to get one. I'm in the 1,500 to 2,000 range and will have to purchase a used board. right now I still have my old triton and like the presence and punch it has live but the quality of the acoustics is pretty bad. I played the Roland at guitar center for about an hour through decent monitors and thought is felt great under my fingers and the piano really responded to my playing. I also tried the moxf8 and the krome 88 but the krome action was bad and the sounds were better than the triton but only the piano and one ep. the moxf sounded huge to me but the piano sounded a little hollow, as if the mids were turned way down. The roland seemed the best fit but it has mostly the old jv or xv sounds plus certain supernatural instruments. It's why I originally looked at soft synths to save money. I can still go that route with a macbook if I have to but have always preferred hardware.

#2914571 - 03/12/18 06:26 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: SynthGeek]
Happy Birthday davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
don't know where you are located but if you are in LA here is a used Nord Stage within your stated budget

https://reverb.com/item/5840497-nord-clavia-nord-stage-compact-73
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2914593 - 03/12/18 09:04 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: davedoerfler]
allan_evett Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
The Nord Stage 3 88 would be a solid choice for church; the sound engines and libraries are world-class, and the hands-on functionality is fantastic. But the cost is pretty steep, and well outside the budget you mentioned.

Since you like the FA-08, but have some reservations, you might want to look into a used/demo RD-2000. Lots of front panel control features, very strong pianos / eps, and a synth section perfect for the layered sounds that are all over modern worship music. And the nine sliders double as 'drawbars' for the built-in tonewheel organ engine. I've spotted a few used RD-2000s in the $1900 - $2000 range. Also, it's set up to work seamlessly as a controller for software instruments.

#2914596 - 03/12/18 10:29 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: SynthGeek]
Bill H. Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
Originally Posted By: SynthGeek
The roland seemed the best fit but it has mostly the old jv or xv sounds plus certain supernatural instruments.

My last praise band stint ended when I moved 2 1/2 years ago. If I were to do it again, the first board I'd be looking for would be a used FA-08. They pop up occasionally locally for around $1250-1400. Those old JV and XV waveforms are perfect for pads. I'd have praise leaders ask me to drag out my old XP-80 for special services because of it's atmospheric pads.

Weaknesses are Hammond Leslie sounds, but mostly I was playing pianos and pads. My last setup had a PX-5s on the bottom, but with an FA-08 I could have done it all with one.

But I'm an old Roland guy, and know how to program their synth engine from the ground up - so FWIW.

#2914621 - 03/13/18 04:52 AM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: Bill H.]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
Roland and Nord are nice.
But Kronos seem to be great all in one boards.
I prefer modules and a Master MIDI Controller.
Churches have money.
Just witnessed 65 Custom IEMs headed for Texas.
Thatís astonishingly large budget just for singers.

#2914625 - 03/13/18 05:13 AM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: hardware]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Another vote for the FA08 or Roland RD-2000. Selling the Triton Pro X should make up the budget difference. smile

Bonus with the FA-08 is workstation features and pads on the right hand-side. That could really be useful if any type of sequencing is required. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2914630 - 03/13/18 05:39 AM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: hardware]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: hardware
Churches have money.

Depends on the church and their budget. Some are willing to allocate plenty of $$$ for worship... others not so much.

I tried to get our church to purchase a Kronos a few years back--even found great deal online--but no go.

#2914649 - 03/13/18 07:57 AM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: Synthoid]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Another vote for Roland RD-2000 or RD-800

Nothing wrong with the FA-08 either, I used to own one but sold it to get Forte but couldn't part with the soundset so I picked up an FA-06

#2914650 - 03/13/18 07:59 AM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: aellison62]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
The only weakness with the Rolands are the Hammond organ sounds. A Lester K helps with the supernatural organs.

#2914662 - 03/13/18 08:55 AM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: aellison62]
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
The FA-08 action is a bit sluggish. Not terrible, but compared to the RD-2000 not in the same league. Sounds I am very happy with my FA-08. Another thing you could try is the integra-7 its a 6-part Sound Module with SuperNATURAL Engine, Behavior Modeling, 6,000+ Sounds, Dedicated FX Engines for Each Part. You could control it from the Korg. It currently sells for $1500. Had it been that price when I bought my FA-08, I would have bought it instead.

#2914793 - 03/13/18 08:45 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: Toano88]
Macsaint777 Offline

My second choice after the Nord would be an RD-2000. I have a YouTube channel where I demoed EVERY sound in the RD-2000. Here is a link for you. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVxOGNLryVOoo_0QiRujOpA

Hope that is helpful!

Ben Allen

#2914794 - 03/13/18 08:46 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: Macsaint777]
Macsaint777 Offline

Here is the link to the RD-2000 video. Donít worry, not a single word of talking! https://youtu.be/XXFg0l_NtoU

#2914806 - 03/13/18 11:44 PM Re: Looking To Purchase A New Synth [Re: SynthGeek]
gino Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW, Australia
I'm extremely happy with my FA08. The only pitfall i can envisage would be that similar to the Triton Pro x, it doesn't have seperate sliders allocated to each voice in your combination and so as an example its not easy to play a chord using a pad sound and then easily/gradually bring in the volume of say a piano or some strings. It is do able but there's extra button presses involved. It really depends on how you like to set-up and use your combinations. It has the ability to bring sounds in and out while holding an existing sound, its just when you might want to have that build in volume. Apart from that I think it would do an awesome job in the Church Worship setting. Cheers

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner