Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

It would be fun to play this, but it's not going to replace my Kurzweil Forte 7 that has a superior TP/40 action, far better APs, equal or better EPs (I am not convinced that Seven will sound better than either the Dave Weiser EPs in Forte or the larger Purgatory Creek samples that sound great), plus the lush pads and synth of VAST. Then you add the fact that Forte 7 has a usable KB3 modeled organ engine as well, as well as pitch bend and mod wheels.

I realize that Forte 7 is in a different price point than Seven as a lower keyboard, but other than a cool look (and a lot of extra weight that goes with it for the wood case), I just don't see this adding anything.

The board I would buy from Crumar is a next generation Mojo dual manual with their improved TP8O key action and all of the extra sounds of the Gemini. I don't get the vibe I want on the DMC-122 controller.

I'm not sure I would part with my Legend Live any time soon, but I think I'm passing on Seven and looking ahead to what's next to replace the dual manual Mojo, perhaps something that will set their sights on Hammond and Nord a little more.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, at first glance, I was really enthralled about the concept of this. But this seems to bring back the worst aspect of my days gigging with a Fender Rhodes.

- it's too heavy,

- the hard case is bulky- takes too much space in my hatchbatck, where do you put the top when you are in a gig? (My soft Gator case for my Motif is a lot easier to deal with). Also, since I am a weakling, I damaged a lot of walls in my house toting keyboards in hard cases around.

- set up, tear down time has got to be longer. I imagine that you have to set the keyboard on its back, and screw in the four legs, one at a time. Any modern keyboard stand is quicker.

I guess, now that I am north of 60 years old, weight and convenience are huge factors.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I just played an SV1 and a Roland V Combo 15 minutes ago at Strait Music in Austin Tx. The SV1's EP's are not even close to the gemini module. You can clearly hear the sample switching for bellish tine. Not impressed at all. I'm not sure why everytime we talk EP's the SV1 is brought into the discussion. It's time has clearly passed.

couldn't agree more...

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

To the naysayers and head scratchers:

As a gigging/studio musician, I totally get what Crumar is trying to do heretake the good stuff embodied in the extra sounds of the Mojo 61 and wed them to a hammer action and a retro look for those who need and desire these sounds.

As far as the bitching about the TP 100,- I totally get Andrea and Guidos decision to use it. IT IS AN EP FIRST BOARD!!!!!

In my experience with the HP Nord Electros (I have owned the 3 and 4 HPs and had the 5 on backline) the EP sounds worked exteremly well with TP 100. I dont know if Clavia modded it or not, but it was a very playable solution for my needs.

Didnt love it on the AP side, but it was good enough....

As far as weight, you can always use hand trucks and Rock and Rolla Carts.

Im well into my 5th decade, luckily healthy and fit, but for my less fortunate contemporaries, there are always workarounds!

I think the tolex seems pretty sturdy. Ive used the Mojo Dual with the tolex finish and it seemed like it could hold up for the long run.

The Rhodes-ish design really made me smile! Ive not had the greatest experince with Crumar build quailty, but I will give them plenty of latitude here.

I gotta say, bitching about a board none of us have in hand adds nothing to the dialog. A lot of cats have been wanting these sounds in a seperate board and youre about to get it. The first iteration may need a few revisions to hit the sweet spot , but lets reserve judgment until weve tried it!

I have pre-ordered mine and look forward to trying it out! If it fits my needs, it will be my go to board for EP gigs. (My VV is for studio only)

As to the SV-1 comparison, this could blow it out of the water. I know it will already as far as the action is concerned. The SVs best feature was the tube preamp

As far as a Forte comparison, I love the Forte and plan to purchase one, but they are two different beasts and in my experience, sampling EPs (Nords) never sound right past the initial attack transient. I really liked the EPs on the Mojo61 and really like those on Pianoteq so I am hopeful!

I applaud Crumar for what they have done in the past, are doing here and will continue to do going forward!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Aside from the appearance and form factor, is there any advantage to this keyboard over a stage piano (like the CP4) that strives to offer great EP and AP sounds?

Theoretically, I guess, the Crumar 7 might achieve a superior Rhodes sound or a superior action for EP sounds by focusing on EP. Or conversely the typical stage piano might (theoretically) be sacrificing something by attempting to offer great AP and other sounds along with EP. But is this merely theoretical?

Ive not had the greatest experince with Crumar build quailty, but I will give them plenty of latitude here.

Why? Why would you continuously go back to a company that gave you poor craftsmanship? It truly is bizarre the almost hypnotic effect a Crumar product has.

I think its a great product (although still waiting for the Wurlie sounds... If it can sound like Ian Maclagens Wulie, Im in)...

My concern is the price point. For a small company like Crumar, you really have to be substantially below the equivalent Korg, Roland, and Hammond/Suzukis price.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Its a different form factor and considering my problems were with the Mojo Dual and not the 61....my issues with the 61 were with the Hammond ergonomics and sound. I really liked the extra sounds (EP, clavs and Vox/Farf).

So, since the 61 is a newer product, one can surmise they have learned their lessons and will continue on an upward trajectory.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

The Seven is what it is. Dont need to play it to see what theyve made.

Its a very cool digital retro styled board for EP sounds.

If you need more from a board at this price/weight (I do) its not the right pick for you. I felt the same about the Mojo61. Does what it does well, cant waste the location in my setup for a retro organ with EP sounds I dont want to play on the action anyway.

And in a nut shell. If you get a Mojo61 and Seven to pair your shit out of luck for quality acoustic piano sounds, a programmable synth, brass strings reeds.

Guido has been clear that the concept is not to compete on functionality but do digital imaginings of the electro mechanicals he loves. The other stuff is not the focus. So for some of us (me included) were out on practicality.

If you do certain types of gigs you show up hours before hand with rolling carts and your job in the band is organs and EPs this is a hot rig. If show up for gig alone in tux a half hour before playing and need to change location twice during the evening this is not the rig for you. Also not good for pit gigs unless its a 70s show. But if you like the sound of the Gemini they do a rack and a desktop.

That said. To play at home or with friends on occasional rock/blues/funk/soul gigs at the corner bar the setup would be fun to have. But I wouldnt make any money on it and its a luxury expense. But hey, everyone makes their own decisions. When I retire, the house and car are paid for, kid is done with college and I can get something just for me - whole different story.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

(Crumar endorsing artist post. Grain of salt warning.)

Regarding the looks of the Seven:

You do realize this is a company that designed (and named) one of their keyboards to look like the Delorean from "Back to the Future," right?? These guys have a sense of humor and style. I think the Seven looks bad-ass.

As far as poor craftsmanship, do you mean like Korg's notoriously unfixable RH3 keybeds, or the crashing issues in the Hammond XK5, or the various issues coming out about the Viscount Legend? Every brand has its bugs. Crumar has worked hard to fix theirs and has, in fact, changed the entire internal architecture (PC vs DSP) in its current products. My Mojo61 is rock solid and I expect the Seven to be as well.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

The EPs on the Grandstage sound better and play significantly better than the SV1. Maybe people are comparing to the SV1 because, like the Seven, it's a simplified approach, but the Grandstage is the right comparison for the Seven's price range, and the Grandstage is also a simplified stage keyboard.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Yes, I think an interesting comparison is a Crumar Seven with a Mojo 61 on top vs. a Korg Grandstage with a Vox Continental on top.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

At first blush, I see this an affordable gigging alternative to the VV.

As much as I'd love to have one, I cannot justify the cost of the VV EP. Even if I could, I would never let it leave the house because I would not want to beat up such an investment.

If I played in a band where EP's were the dominant part of the repertoire, this would be great. I personally like the retro look, although I have to admit the first glance was too reminiscent of the old Kustom 88, but it got better as the video swung around to view the whole thing. It's like a Rhodes that's been through a wind tunnel.

And I agree to not rush to poo-poo the instrument until people have had hands on it. It could very well be that the AP model works well in the din of a rock or R&B band, although probably not so much for jazz.

This with a DeepMind 12 on top is the modern day version of my first gig rig - a Rhodes Mk I Stage and Juno 60.

Correct me if Im wrong about the Grandstage...but it includes the same EP engine as the Kronos (which is one of my favorites), but doesnt allow the same deep editing that the Kronos does. Is that correct?

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

OT: How much memory space in total does a Mojo 61 have and how much is available in its current configuration?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Play the AP here or the AP on a CP4 through a Roland KC600 or Traynor K4 and it still is miles away from a real piano.

As Aidan said, any piano played through those will be miles away from a piano. Your adding another obstacle by selecting an amp whose strengths are not in piano reproduction,. They lack the clean, extended, flat frequency response of something you'd want for this purpose.

For me the real question is how are the Rhodes, Wurli and Clav on the Seven different than the Mojo 61. Right now I use a Mojo 61 with a Studiologic Numa Stage on the bottom. It has the TP100 Fatar action and a decent AP. I play the Mojo 61's EPs using the Numa. I really like it. The question for me is how is the Seven substantially different than playing the EP's in the Mojo 61 with a hammer action keyboard?

It's a good question. I'm not sure how much this board is targeted at people who own a Mojo 61. But I suppose an advantage could still be in the ergonomics of operation.

he sounds in the Seven are infinitely editable and tweakable. With the SV1, youre stuck with what they decided is a good Rhodes or Wurly (and the SV1 Wurly is God-awful.)
There are 6 factory Wurli patches for the SV1... two stock, two installable from soundpack 1, and two installable from soundpack 2. Each of the 6 Wurlis can also be customized and re-saved with different EQ, different effects, different amp simulations. Much of this is further customizable beyond what you can see from the front panel, as the editor makes additional parameters available. For example, the front panel gives you 3-band fixed EQ, but he editor gives you a parametric mid. So if anyone just walked over to an SV1 in a store and didn't like the two Wurli presets that came up, you shouldn't assume that's all it can do. (Ditto with the Rhodes.)

The SV1's EP's are not even close to the gemini module.
Maybe so, I haven't had the chance to compare. But in addition to what I said above (a caveat about basing your entire eval on a showroom floor trial), somewhere the SV1 seems to excel is in finger-to-ear connection. I expect that the Gemini can as well, but it will depend what you're using as a controller. What do you use? The other thing which may give the SV1 and edge for some is the tube, depending on the sound you're looking for.

Let us choses (like Nord) whether we want a Vibraphone or some cheesy Vox/Farfisa (never understood why those lame early pop 60's organs are still considered useful)

In addition to my earlier reply to you about this, people have different needs. I don't see any great need to have a vibraphone sound in my organ, personally. If I was going to pick some key non-organ sounds to have in my organ to increase the board's usability as a one-board solution, vibes would be pretty far down the list, for me. But also, a lot of this is subjective. I have zero use for an FM EP sound, yet every EP has to have one. That's my version of your aversion to organs having transistor organ sounds. But I accept that, people buying a board for EP may very well want the full range of famous EP sounds, and I think that perspective makes sense for organ as well. BTW, it's not that I never, ever play a song that had FM EP in it. It's just that, I hate the sound so much, that I'll play the song with a standard Rhodes sound instead! (OTOH, I love the DX7 itself, tons of great sounds. Just not "that" EP.)

I have had to play the Korg SV1 once a week for the past year and terms of actiion and EP it is overrated, imo. My Casio PX 360 and my Mojo 61 have better actions, dynamic control and better EP.

I will grant you that the Casio and Mojo may have better EP sounds, that's pretty subjective, and they are all good in their way. And they may have better actions in terms of how they play piano and organ respectively. But to me, my Casio PX560 does not "connect" with its EP sounds the way the SV1 action connects with its EP sounds. The action may not be "as good" but playing EP in particular from the SV1 feels better to me than on the Casio, and also better (more like a real Rhodes or Wurli) than it would be playing from any non-hammer action like a Mojo. Basically, even to the extent that those actions are seen as better, it doesn't mean they're necessarily better for every kind of sound.

Sweeping generalisation based on other peoples comments. "If they don't like I don't like it".

I wanted to point out that, the way your post was formatted, the sentiments attributed to me were actually from Elmer. But on the general subject of the perceived realism of sampled vs. modeled acoustic pianos, sure, there are doubters on each side. But to make my own generalization, I'd say that often the perceptions seem to be that sampled pianos sound more real but modeled pianos play more authentically. So maybe one could prefer playing one but listening to the other!

Now the Seven is out, love the vibe. But the issue of not having some quality APs is still there. The VA-Synth is still turned off. Neither is rectified by placing a Mojo 61 on top of the Seven. So if your gig is EPs and Organs all night this might very well be an attractive setup. If you need acoustic pianos and synth tones that can be mod wheeled, pitch bent, or otherwise tweaked. There's nothing here.

I'm not so hung up about the lack of a "great" acoustic piano in the Mojo61/Seven combo, as I'm pretty sure the piano that's there would be plenty good enough for me to gig with (as I mentioned earlier, I don't have to be as picky as someone doing a solo piano jazz gig). And honestly, I have done lots of gigs where I have never touched a pitch or mod wheel. So I could see the Mojo61/Seven combo working find for some people, even if most would probably choose a different "second board" for either one of those boards.

Really, not only is it impossible to find one board that does everything, it's even very hard to find two boards that truly do everything, without a substantial compromise. Most of us just end up choosing different compromises. In fact, if you want a drawbar organ, a knobby synth, quality acoustic and electric pianos, and high quality rompler sounds, I'm not sure there's any way to get it all in just two keyboards unless one of them is a Nord Stage, with the other being a a high quality rompler. Now let's add the variable of getting the actions you want... ;-)

To my ear, I don't believe Roland or Physis are any further along than Pianoteq on getting great results for acoustic pianos with modeling.

Ah yes, Physis, I forgot about them in my earlier post about what other modeled pianos are available in hardware. I've never had the chance to play one of those.

Theoretically, I guess, the Crumar 7 might achieve a superior Rhodes sound or a superior action for EP sounds by focusing on EP. Or conversely the typical stage piano might (theoretically) be sacrificing something by attempting to offer great AP and other sounds along with EP. But is this merely theoretical?

Until these are in the field and we get to experience them first hand, yup, all theoretical! ;-)

The EPs on the Grandstage sound better and play significantly better than the SV1. Maybe people are comparing to the SV1 because, like the Seven, it's a simplified approach

Actually, I'm comparing to the SV1 because I've never had the chance to play a GrandStage. ;-) Though also, the SV1 has been around for a lot of years, with a specific emphasis on EPs. Even if the GS has better EPs, it has a much wider range of other strong capabilities, and I don't think is positioned so specifically as an EP-focussed board. I am curious, though, as to whether there really is consensus about its EPs being better. Aren't they the same as Kronos? I really like the Kronos EPs, but I think I'd still take he SV1. Maybe it's the tube. It was nice to see the tube on the Vox Continental, I kind of wish they had put it in the GS.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

As far as poor craftsmanship, do you mean like Korg's notoriously unfixable RH3 keybeds, or the crashing issues in the Hammond XK5, or the various issues coming out about the Viscount Legend? Every brand has its bugs. Crumar has worked hard to fix theirs and has, in fact, changed the entire internal architecture (PC vs DSP) in its current products. My Mojo61 is rock solid and I expect the Seven to be as well.

Bingo. :2thu:

Regardless of my affiliation with Crumar...my experience working with Alesis, DSI and especially Kurzweil allow me to comment from a somewhat informed POV that Mitch couldn't be more correct. Any of you remember when the PC88 came out in the early 90s and didn't have a bar in it to reinforce the structural integrity because they wanted it to weight as little as possible? Those things broke like mad. Heck, I went through six PC3s in 2008 before I got one that worked correctly. The one I have now still makes an odd noise under the right circumstances. :rolleyes:

I remember taking my Electro 2 in for service the second time over ten years ago and asking if I had just gotten unlucky and had a lemon. The tech at Audio Rehab said he was making money hand over fist fixing those. :idk:

Maybe my favorite tech support nugget - Ensoniq (somewhat infamously) started designing and building their units at one point with boards that could be easily removed in the field and sent in for service because it was so much cheaper than having to send the entire unit in. Pretty smart, actually.

Crumar has, indeed, spent a bunch of time and money focusing on improving their build quality. While it's unfortunate (and understandable) that there are those who had bad experiences and are still unhappy about that, Crumar certainly has gone to great lengths to deal with those issues.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Always better to talk positively about your own product than negatively about the competition.

If you're talking to me, I'm not speaking about any current product by any other manufacturers. For the most part (I never worked for Ensoniq and was not privy to their design meetings) I'm talking about instruments I've actually owned and experiences I've actually had.

My post is clearly an attempt to address the relativity of other posts in the thread, not to speak negatively about any (perceived) competition. Every instrument I mentioned - or company, in Ensoniq's case - is over a decade gone into history, and seems unlikely to me to be construed as being competitive with any current Crumar product.

Having worked with several keyboard manufacturers it seems reasonable that I'm pretty qualified to speak to this, and believe that the uniqueness of my situation makes my input at least somewhat valuable.

dB

Your post contained several references to current products.

Where? And "several"? I can't find even one. :confused:

I cited the 20+ years old discontinued Kurzweil PC88, the 10+ years old discontinued Kurzweil PC3, the 10+ years old discontinued Nord Electro 2 - all of which I owned and gigged on extensively - and Ensoniq, who've been out of business for years.

Did I miss something? :idk:

dB

Lets leave this post only for the Seven. Do you know anything of availability, do not yet find in the major channels in Europe?

I like vibes because I love jazz and I like to conjure up the greats:, its all about blowing single note right hand lines like a horn line and vibes will do it. Not a dx7 or a transitor organ.

Organ- Jimmy Smith

Rhodes - Herbie Hancock

Piano - Wynton Kelly

Vibes - Milt Jackson

They added Vibraphone to the Seven! It has all the goodies for a jazz player.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

That's Mitch Towne's post, man. If you have a problem with what he's saying, take it up with him...but I know for sure he's right about at least the RH3 keybed - also pretty old history. That actually made me get a 61 key Kronos instead of a 76.

My "Bingo" was (I thought quite clearly) about his entire point, which is that every brand has its bugs. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Lets leave this post only for the Seven. Do you know anything of availability.

I do not have a specific ship date.

A few more audio demos have been added to the Seven product page. Click here and scroll down to the Audio & Video section, then click on the song titles to play.

dB

I like vibes because I love jazz and I like to conjure up the greats:, its all about blowing single note right hand lines like a horn line and vibes will do it. Not a dx7 or a transitor organ.

Organ- Jimmy Smith

Rhodes - Herbie Hancock

Piano - Wynton Kelly

Vibes - Milt Jackson

Those are your key sounds because you're a jazz player, I get it. If you were playing pop, a DX7 or transistor organ would probably be more useful than vibes. But also, 3 of your 4 sounds are actually keyboard instruments (as are DX7 and transistor organ, and for that matter, all kinds of other useful sounds like accordion, synth brass, mellotrons, clavinet, etc.). Once you open up a keyboard to cover non-keyboard sounds, you might want vibes, someone else might want harmonica, someone else might want violin/fiddle, depending on the genre they're into. It's all good, but there's nothing magic about vibes being THE correct fourth sound to have. (BTW, if you're trying to have the impact of a horn line, the Gemini module has a really nice trumpet!)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

[Disclaimer: I'm a SV-1 user and endorser]

I'm really baffled by the comparison of the Seven to the SV-1. Yes they both emulate vintage EP's as a primary function, but it's like comparing this year's BMW X-5 to my 2009 Mitsubishi Pajero (which I love by the way).

In Australia a Mojo 61 dual manual will set me back somewhere around $3200-$3500. I'm guessing the Seven will be similarly priced, or maybe slightly more expensive?

An 88 Key SV-1 is $2599 at my local shop. The 73 key version is $2199.

To those arguing that the Seven is "better" than the SV-1: You'd want to hope so!

I'm aligned with those who believe the Grandstage is a more realistic comparison. A 73 key version of that 'board costs approximately $3500 here.