Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2921622 - 04/15/18 09:44 PM Re: Pearl/KMI Malletstation: MIDI mallet percussion controller [Re: Zalman Stern]
David Fahrner Offline

Loc: Rural Oregon
Key feel is an advantage for the Xylosynth, too...its hardwood keys look to be thinner than on the Zendrum mallet controllers, which is probably why the Xylosynth weighs a lot less...hopefully, Keith McMillen has designed a good key feel into the malletSTATION, too...the key feel on the Marimba Lumina, (with those giant soft foam mallets!) was completely different...

If the Zendrum mallet controllers are used by marching bands, then marching percussionists must not have to carry their own instruments these days...if they do, those 30-40 lb. Zendrum mallet controllers are going to start losing sales to the 16-lb. malletSTATION...

"Expensive and quite boutique" probably applies to the Zendrum mallet controllers, too, and to the Malletkat and Xylosynth as well...now the malletSTATION may be different...

df

KC Island
#2921631 - 04/16/18 12:18 AM Re: Pearl/KMI Malletstation: MIDI mallet percussion controller [Re: David Fahrner]
Zalman Stern Offline

Originally Posted By: David Fahrner

If the Zendrum mallet controllers are used by marching bands, then marching percussionists must not have to carry their own instruments these days...

I thought they ran the heavier mallet instruments, like vibes and marimbas, on wheeled frames.

Quote:

"Expensive and quite boutique" probably applies to the Zendrum mallet controllers, too, and to the Malletkat and Xylosynth as well...now the malletSTATION may be different...
df

Zendrum looks a bit more reasonable on this front in that they've been around a fair while and provide replacement parts. E.g. John Emrich has a video where he says they sell user replacable keys for ~$25. (That's the piece of wood with the sensor electronics.) He advises having an extra or two if you travel with one and it gets played by lots of people. (In that section of the video, he's cautioning that the wood can get little dents if played with hard rubber mallets, but I doubt that has a significant effect on playability.)

#2921671 - 04/16/18 08:30 AM Re: Pearl/KMI Malletstation: MIDI mallet percussion controller [Re: Zalman Stern]
David Fahrner Offline

Loc: Rural Oregon
Marching bands with wheeled carts for mallet instruments: that's probably how it's done now, I've been out of school now for 50-some years...

The Wernick Xylosynth has been around for quite a while, too, and they also sell spare keys (a key change is relatively easy and doesn't take too long), and they can repair failed keys...I would think that you would always use very soft yarn mallets with a mallet controller for minimal wear, since the type of mallet doesn't have anything to do with the sound...again, Wernick really tried to make the keys and key mounting feel like a "real" mallet instrument when played with soft mallets; I don't notice any difference switching back to my Deagan vibes...

I don't have any experience with the Malletkat about these issues, and we'll just have to wait and see how the malletSTATION does...

df

#2921756 - 04/16/18 02:27 PM Re: Pearl/KMI Malletstation: MIDI mallet percussion controller [Re: David Fahrner]
omvibes Offline

Wow, never heard of Zendrum before, their mallet controllers look great, but ouch, expensive and heavy...
Regarding the Malletkat, its feel is definitely not 'real' compared to a xylosynth (I tried both), I own a malletkat mainly because when I bought it I needed onboard sounds and software wasn't as good for me at the time, but now things in that area are changing (thanks partly to the generosity of Dave Fahrner :-)) the mallestation, and also perhaps the xylosynth, are becoming more realistic as options...but in terms of feel, I suspect the malletstation will have the same 'plasticky' feel as a malletkat.

#2921800 - 04/16/18 06:32 PM Re: Pearl/KMI Malletstation: MIDI mallet percussion controller [Re: omvibes]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I have not played their mallet instruments but I have two Zendrums. Top quality and very playable. Nothing else comes close.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner