Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2914291 - 03/11/18 11:49 AM M-Audio Hammer 88
delmar Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, UNITED STATES
I think I want one. My income is currently at poverty levels (thank god for my gainfully employed girlfriend), and I'm selling a bunch of stuff to raise the 400 clams it costs. I'm wondering whether anyone has an opinion here about it. I wish I could read the SOS review but the positives on Sweetwater and Amazon are encouraging. Anyone?

KC Island
#2914401 - 03/12/18 02:13 AM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: delmar]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
I played it some days ago in a store.
It's not bad. I think its keybed is made by Fatar (if not mistaken) but it is anyway much better from any previous M Audio keybeds i've played. Quite responsive
IMO, for 400$ you can do a search to find a used 88 keyboard with internal sounds, which could be used as a controller a well.

Edited by yannis D (03/12/18 01:15 PM)

#2914426 - 03/12/18 05:55 AM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: yannis D]
GRollins Offline
Platinum Member

As I was rolling options for MIDI controllers I ran across the Hammer 88. There wasn't one anywhere near here that I could try, so I'm afraid I can't give you a review, but at least on paper it was the best big (read: greater than 61 keys) option I could find with any sort of graded/weighted/hammer/whatever action for smallish money.

I agree with the search-for-used option, but that's pretty much a crap shoot. You never know what's going to be available at any given time or what condition it will be in.

Note that the M-Audio stuff is frequently on sale for 10-15% off, specifically including the Hammer 88. I generally talk to Musician's Friend, but I'm sure that Sweetwater, et. al. have similar deals from time to time. At least in MF's case, if you call and sweet talk them, they'll frequently give you a break on stuff that's not officially on sale at that time.

I've seen some posts here about M-Audio that trend towards the disdainful, but with the next alternative being roughly twice as much money...uh, well, sometimes reality has to intrude on your dreams.

Don't take the fact that I didn't go with the M-Audio as a vote against it; I went with the project approach for my controller. I've got a Fatar 76-key keybed from a dead Kurzweil that I'm building a case for. That's not practical for everyone and it's not a turn-key solution.

Grey

#2914567 - 03/12/18 06:00 PM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: GRollins]
delmar Offline

Thank you! Very helpful. I never negotiate with music stores and I probably should try.

#2914632 - 03/13/18 05:56 AM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: yannis D]
U.Honey Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: yannis D
I think its keybed is made by Fatar (if not mistaken)

I couldn’t find any info on that. What Fatar keybed would it be? TP-40?

Edited by U.Honey (03/13/18 05:56 AM)

#2914633 - 03/13/18 06:32 AM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: U.Honey]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: U.Honey
Originally Posted By: yannis D
I think its keybed is made by Fatar (if not mistaken)

I couldn’t find any info on that. What Fatar keybed would it be? TP-40?

If it were any Fatar, it would be a cheap one, not an expensive one like a TP40. But I doubt it's any Fatar.

#2915260 - 03/15/18 11:36 PM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: AnotherScott]
delmar Offline

Now that I'm ready to buy, I'm starting to rethink this. Been reading nice things here and elsewhere about the Casio PX160. Is the action anything like a real piano?

#2915591 - 03/17/18 03:16 PM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: delmar]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Probably the best action you'll find anywhere near its price.

#2915792 - 03/18/18 06:59 PM Re: M-Audio Hammer 88 [Re: AnotherScott]
delmar Offline

In the last three days, I've played the Casio PX160 and the Yamaha P-115, which the saleswoman suggested was a better instrument. I thought I would like the 'ivory feel' on the Casio but it felt weird, like fake wood flooring. The Yamaha felt better to me. The sound is less important than the action because I plan to run it into my computer. Then I started reading about the Kawai ES110. I spent an hour with it today at a piano store. I really like it! It's about $700, so I will need to save up a little more but I think this could actually end up being the nicest set of keys to actually play I've had. In my life, I've had a Yamaha CP80, an SV-1, a Kurzweil 2500 with weighted action and an old upright whose make I don't think I ever knew. To top it off, the store manager was really nice - she listened to my musical life story (former tuba player, self-taught on piano except for a year of jazz lessons) and gave me a recommendation for a teacher she thinks would be perfect for me.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner