Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2914145 - 03/10/18 01:33 PM IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off
Randelph Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Just saw this on their website. They have a bunch of other deals, this is the one that caught my eye, was looking for Syntronik to go on sale for the whole bundle. Normally $79, on sale for $47.

Have been using their free iOS demo version, which gives you some presets and the ability to save your tweaks! Mighty generous of them, considering many folks would rather tweak than use presets.

It does eat up 4 GB of space. Iím an analog novice, so this seems like a good entry to getting more familiar with analog synths, though it doesnít have all the parameters that are tweakable on a real synth. Apparently the iOS version sounds pretty close to the 60GB version on PC/Mac, at a fraction of the cost. 1200 presets though instead of 2000.

Havenít been bowled over by the presets, but they only give you 50 and some multis and lots of arps. I find the fx to be stellar, really gives a lot of character, theyíve modeled quite a few vintage fx, amps, etc. You get 5 of them per preset. The only demos of analog synths / va that Iíve been impressed by was for the Deepmind 12.

The multis can have 4 presets, with volume and key range, but youíre not able to shift the individual presets up or down octaves as needed. This is a fairly new product, so hopefully theyíll include this capability down the road.

I find it to be mostly user friendly and mostly self-explanatory, but the arps, one for each preset in a multi, are apparently pretty full featured. They have pretty extensive search filters for finding patches, thank goodness! Plus the ability to add tags yourself.

Low on money, but iím gonna jump onboard!

Randy

PS. Does anybody know who the Italian keyboard demo guy was for a Yamaha (Motif XF?) for new patches (probably samples too). He was the BEST demo guy iíve ever seen, he did full studio versions of a number of popular songs to show off how much it sounded like the original sounds. This was in a thread where someone was questioning how good the Motif XF? sounded, and this you tube video really showed off the sound capability, and then some, really impressive playing

Edited by Randelph (03/10/18 01:39 PM)
Edit Reason: Want Italian demo guys name!

KC Island
#2914300 - 03/11/18 12:33 PM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: Randelph]
Randelph Offline

Surprised there was no interest in this post! Was excited about sharing the news and no response!

Tried it out again last night, and my opinion of the presets of the demo sounds changed a lot! Was really loving the sounds, esp. as i developed 4 Part Multis, sounded incredibly lush. By the time i added in sounds from my Casio MZ-X500, it was sound track HUGE, have never gotten such majestic sounds from any setup before.

In my experience, the sounds DO make the man-

#2914304 - 03/11/18 01:08 PM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: Randelph]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I'm interested. I have the free version. I think the Jupiter 8 and Prophet stuff sounds pretty great. I may go ahead and download the full set at this price.

#2914313 - 03/11/18 01:45 PM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: jeffinpghpa]
brenner13 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Kansas
I went full boat with the iOS release sale. Pretty good sounds and a healthy library. It is fun to hear examples of many synths I could never hope to own and amusing to play around with representations of some of the classic synths in my collection as well. Editing is about as fully featured as one can get with sample based synths, but the effects matrix really opens up further realms of sonic bliss. Fun stuff.

#2914314 - 03/11/18 01:47 PM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: Randelph]
tfort Offline

Your post made me look into Syntronik again. The issue for me is that I'm waiting for the next iPad Pro 12.9 to come out (maybe this summer?) before buying to more iOS music apps.

It seems people really like Syntronik for relatively easy access to pretty close to classic synth sounds. Reported to be good for quick access and tweaking sounds, rather than really dialing in sounds like with a full synth app.

My current iPad Mini 2 is way too full to give this a good tryout without some hard decisions about deleting apps for a while. Not sure if this is the right time; it seems that IK will probably put Syntronik on sale 2 or 3 times a year.

Are there better essential apps to pick up first when trying to build a coherent collection? Animoog/Model 15, Gadget, Nave, Thor, PPG Infinite, iMS20, Audulus? So much to consider that it's overwhelming.

In general, I'm only considering 64-bit AU plugins these days.

#2914612 - 03/13/18 03:52 AM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: tfort]
jeffinpghpa Offline

This is an EXCELLENT collection. An absolute trove of riches and stunning multis.

Considering these sounds are the "extra voices" on my Legend Live organ, along with a few other apps, it's an absolute beast of a synth in this app. Thanks for the tip, as this was money VERY well spent.

This is going to be my go to iPad synth app, along with Poison.

#2914668 - 03/13/18 09:13 AM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Bif_ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Indiana
To those using the app already.......

Can the octave setting of a sound used in a multi be changed? I see that you can limit note ranges and velocity but the octave setting allow the most flexibility in setting up multis.

#2914727 - 03/13/18 02:40 PM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: Bif_]
jeffinpghpa Offline

I'm interested in knowing if anyone is using an iRIG 49 I/O controller with Syntronik?

#2914810 - 03/14/18 12:40 AM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: tfort]
Randelph Offline

Originally Posted By: tfort

Are there better essential apps to pick up first when trying to build a coherent collection? Animoog/Model 15, Gadget, Nave, Thor, PPG Infinite, iMS20, Audulus? So much to consider that it's overwhelming.

In general, I'm only considering 64-bit AU plugins these days.

I recently picked up Neo Souls Keys Studio, a fairly new major upgrade from their previous iOS offering. They developed the Mac/PC version of this and then, somehow, like they did with Syntronik, managed to get a huge sample library down to 4 GB. It also has an outstanding set of fx to brilliantly complement the sound. At $24 non-sale price iíve never come anywhere close to the satisfaction as i have with these vintage electric piano sounds. And the vibraphone is pretty darn sweet!

Originally Posted By: Bif
those using the app already.......

Can the octave setting of a sound used in a multi be changed? I see that you can limit note ranges and velocity but the octave setting allow the most flexibility in setting up multis.

Yeah, i looked thru the manual and saw no mention of setting the octaves. I canít believe they would not include this capability as a given being how usefu/needed it is within a multi to set the octave range. This is a fairly new product, so perhaps thisíll come down the road.

They do have a user forum at Syntronik user forum, this link is to their feature request page for Syntronik, and this forum has good representation from IKM in response to questions. Refreshing to see that!

Randy

#2914812 - 03/14/18 01:16 AM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: tfort]
Ulf Offline

My current iPad Mini 2 is way too full to give this a good tryout without some hard decisions about deleting apps for a while. Not sure if this is the right time; it seems that IK will probably put Syntronik on sale 2 or 3 times a year.

That is the same problem I have, these samples are way to large for my current collection of iOS devices. I'd like to try it out, but I will have to do some major clean-up first...

#2914959 - 03/14/18 12:19 PM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: Ulf]
Randelph Offline

Originally Posted By: Ulf

That is the same problem I have, these samples are way to large for my current collection of iOS devices. I'd like to try it out, but I will have to do some major clean-up first...

For those of you with a space limited ipad, keep in mind the install of the demo product is only 1 GB. Obviously youíre not getting the 4 GB of sampled goodness the full product contains, and only about 50 presets vs 1,200, but otherwise its a fully functional product thatíll even allow you to save Parts (patches) and Multis.

Itís the best try before buying iíve seen other than shareware. It says something about the confidence they have in this product, for myself iím eager to buy the full version after having tried it to my hearts content, esp at its current $47 price.

Iím pretty sure an iPad mini 2 is the oldest config thatís its recommended to run on.

#2916979 - 03/23/18 01:09 PM Re: IKM Syntronik iOS sale 3/8 - 4/1/18 40% off [Re: Randelph]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
Being slightly (or very, depending on who you speak to) anal retentive, I have been checking the App Store every day, waiting for prices to drop again.

EUREKA! Just bought the full version, reduced from £74.99 to £46.99. Get it while it's cheap.

Just waiting for the Korg app sale now.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner