Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mojo61 has no build quality issues at all. The only gripe Ive ever had (related to the build) is the USB which is a bit wobbly when connected. The hole in the sheet metal could be about a mm larger. Connection is more secure after circumcising the plug, however. :wink:

Here for the gear.

I had to return 2 (TWO) Mojo dual manuals that had issues OUT OF THE BOX......

The 61 I had briefly seemed to be better, but the push buttons didnt inspire confidence...the chicken head knobs were sturdy....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Why TP100LR instead of TP40? For two reasons: first one is obviously the weight, TP100LR is ligher. Second is the action; you need to keep in mind that this is not "another stage piano", Seven is focused on electric pianos MODELED and the feeling and action of TP100LR is way better for this purpose.

I can see that. Even though different Rhodes felt different from each other (as well as different from Wurli), I would say the Rhodes I mostly played felt closer to a TP100 than a TP40. It may indeed be more authentic, regardless of whether or not one thinks it's more desirable!

About acoustic piano: first decision was not to include acoustic piano into Seven, just to send a message and define the product tag; later, a side project we had for acoustic piano synthesis, has taken a step forward due to some tech reasons... so we decided to include it into Seven. But, please, remember: main focus of Seven is not acoustic piano... market is full of acoustics and stages based on samples from USD 200 to USD 4000, we would like to be OUT of this.

Interesting marketing dilemma, to leave out the AP to most clearly define its positioning, or to include it for people who simply must also have AP. I'm reminded of the Reface CP, which officially had no AP, but there was an easter egg that could coax one out of it, at least at one point. Apparently not everyone at Yamaha could agree as to whether or not it should have an AP sound in it...

Can you please tell me, apart from VSTs and plugins, how many hardware instruments are present in market now with modeled acoustic and their prices?

I think the only fully modeled APs in hardware are from Roland. First only in the pricey V-Piano, but now also in the RD2000. Maybe some/all of the RD800, FP90, FP60?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I really appreciate this answer and explanation as well. It really clarifies the marketing focus of the product. To be honest, I am very comfortable with the presence of both sampled and modeled instruments as well. When I perform and compose I do not always (or even usually) want an instrument that attempts to sound like something else, or even an idealized version of something else. I am very happy to play an instrument that has it's own unique character & sound provided it also has sufficient adjustability to tailor the sound & responsiveness to my playing style. One of the great things about the earlier Roland SA instruments is that they played and responded well as live musical instruments, even if they were not exactly realistic in sound. In my experience sampled sounds tend to record very well, but modeled sounds tend to be more expressive in a live environment. And it is apparent to me that Seven is more oriented towards live performance.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Why TP100LR instead of TP40? For two reasons: first one is obviously the weight, TP100LR is ligher. Second is the action; you need to keep in mind that this is not "another stage piano", Seven is focused on electric pianos MODELED and the feeling and action of TP100LR is way better for this purpose.

On any given gig I play acoustic piano most often most of the time - various electric pianos for mainly 70s era stuff (rock, funk, and some pop, a ray charles tune) and various tracks from the 80s to today at random (usually dance genres). For me, I love the way a Rhodes sounds, my own MkI has a horrible action. And most others I've had opportunity to sit at vary far and wide. In general, not the best action ever schemed for keyboard players. Pretty ok for banging out something rhythmically funky/groovy (imho). But playing acoustic piano style rep on a Rhodes action is for the birds.

About acoustic piano: first decision was not to include acoustic piano into Seven, just to send a message and define the product tag; later, a side project we had for acoustic piano synthesis, has taken a step forward due to some tech reasons... so we decided to include it into Seven. But, please, remember: main focus of Seven is not acoustic piano... market is full of acoustics and stages based on samples from USD 200 to USD 4000, we would like to be OUT of this.

Action choice and the lack of quality acoustic piano sounds kills this (for me). It makes it a luxury item where a second keyboard or laptop/module - something is required to do basic gigs. They can easily change their mind about this at a later time by just putting in the time on sampling and programming a great acoustic piano. It is something lacking in Crumar/GSi's line up. You don't get it on the Gemini and thus not on the Mojo/Mojo61 (although, both places where I personally do NOT enjoy playing APs - or EPs for that matter. ***BUT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A SYNTH AND AT LEAST PITCH/MOD WHEELS*** on the TP-8O based instruments.

That said, it would make a great musical toy at home - dragging out on occasion to play with friends. But not for work (again, for me and I suspect others). Maybe at another time in my life, when I can buy something just because I feel like it. But at that point, I probably wouldn't want something digital - and look at some VV stuff instead. Although, digitally speaking, the price point is much more palatable than Waldorf Zarenbourg and CP1.

Can you please tell me, apart from VSTs and plugins, how many hardware instruments are present in market now with modeled acoustic and their prices?

I think the only fully modeled APs in hardware are from Roland. First only in the pricey V-Piano, but now also in the RD2000. Maybe some/all of the RD800, FP90, FP60?

And every one of the modeled acoustic pianos without fail still generate doubt in players as to their realism in timbre compared to sampling. Although good feeling latency wise and the way the timbre various throughout the velocity range. So, if they were to change their mind at a later time, I would suggest sticking with working on creating a sample based or hybrid instrument for the time being. Unless some killer advancement in acoustic piano modeling becomes open source.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I don't have a problem with a dedicated EP board, or an "EP first" board (which, one could argue, also describes the SV1, as that's its strength). How much of a market there is for it, I don't know, but it's no more odd than a dedicated clonewheel with no other sounds, or any of a ton of dedicated synths that have no non-synth sounds, or the various Reface boards. Certainly in the years before the CP80 (and really, even somewhat after), it was very common for gigging to not include an acoustic piano or any sound that was even close, and when the CP80 arrived, that sound itself was often considered close enough. While Seven may not be the board for the jazz acoustic piano soloist, I doubt I'd lose any gigs if I used even Seven's CP80 sound as my piano sound in my rock or wedding gigs. I kind of like when companies build boards that do a few things really well, and are not designed to try to be the right board for every scenario. I'll be curious to see how this sells.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Im very intrigued by this board. Im primarily a bass player, but piano/keyboards is my second instrument. For songwriting I love the feel of a piano or EP. Something with a simple, immediate interface appeals to me. The ability to sequence over USB midi and play with the effects or run it through pedals, which along with small synths will fit on top of the Seven, could make a centerpiece to my writing studio & would be a uniquely original gigging setup. It also looks really damn cool. Vintage but modern. I will definitely save up to purchase this keyboard.

I don't have a problem with a dedicated EP board, or an "EP first" board (which, one could argue, also describes the SV1, as that's its strength).

The AP in Nord's Electro series was also an "after the fact" addition originally.

:nopity:

I'm glad that the Seven is an electric piano first. AP's on these boards is overrated. Play the AP here or the AP on a CP4 through a Roland KC600 or Traynor K4 and it still is miles away from a real piano. Plus most actions stink outside of Kawai. Personally I'd easily be able to use this on a gig.

For me the real question is how are the Rhodes, Wurli and Clav on the Seven different than the Mojo 61. Right now I use a Mojo 61 with a Studiologic Numa Stage on the bottom. It has the TP100 Fatar action and a decent AP. I play the Mojo 61's EPs using the Numa. I really like it. The question for me is how is the Seven substantially different than playing the EP's in the Mojo 61 with a hammer action keyboard? For me I love the Seven but I feel like it is not going to be that much different than what I have now, just more expensive and heavier.

THe Seven is cool but I know if I needed organ, I'd end up bringing the Numa shotgun since it is so much smaller and lighter. I'd only use the Seven for piano only type gigs, but those are rare. I am really tempted though. The SV-1's siren call was difficult to resist too but I was able to fight it off. This one is going to be more difficult. It just looks so cool and bad ass.

A few people have brought up the Korg SV1 in comparison to the Crumar Seven. I think that comparison is understandable, but flawed in the sense that the sounds in the Seven are infinitely editable and tweakable. With the SV1, youre stuck with what they decided is a good Rhodes or Wurly (and the SV1 Wurly is God-awful.)

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I just played an SV1 and a Roland V Combo 15 minutes ago at Strait Music in Austin Tx. The SV1's EP's are not even close to the gemini module. You can clearly hear the sample switching for bellish tine. Not impressed at all. I'm not sure why everytime we talk EP's the SV1 is brought into the discussion. It's time has clearly passed.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have played my Mojo 61 for an hour or two everyday for a year nowand the build quality is very good. Much sturdier than my Roland FP4, FP50, FP60 experiences.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

And every one of the modeled acoustic pianos without fail still generate doubt in players as to their realism in timbre compared to sampling. Although good feeling latency wise and the way the timbre various throughout the velocity range. So, if they were to change their mind at a later time, I would suggest sticking with working on creating a sample based or hybrid instrument for the time being. Unless some killer advancement in acoustic piano modeling becomes open source.

I believe that latency and timber variation (dynamic control) are more important than studio quality recorded piano samples. I would much rather play the modeled "Pianoteq" on a gig than any slightly latent Ivory.

So Crumar, if you are reading, maybe don't try to over think the market, put the best of what you have developed into all of your products. Keep updating your existing products and the reputation of greatness will spread, it's part of what makes you special. Someday make the modeled AP available to the Mojo 61 and the Vibraphone too. Let us choses (like Nord) whether we want a Vibraphone or some cheesy Vox/Farfisa (never understood why those lame early pop 60's organs are still considered useful)The Beatles gave theirs away as soon as the Hammond, Wurly and Rhodes made it to their studios. Crumar, you will become a Nord electro killer if you keep improving and keep the cost around the price of the current Mojo 61 . By the way I will say it again, the action on the Mojo 61 is so much better than Nord's.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have had to play the Korg SV1 once a week for the past year and terms of actiion and EP it is overrated, imo. My Casio PX 360 and my Mojo 61 have better actions, dynamic control and better EP. That SV1 is dated, imo.

Crumar you will become a Nord electro killer if you keep improving and keep the cost around the price of the current Mojo 61 . By the way I will say it again, the action on the Mojo 61 is so much better than Nord's.

THIS is exactly why I've been waiting for the DMC 122 in a single manual package with the Gemini module. I'm in the market for a new keyboard and the keyboard that checks all the boxes for me is the E5 73 key EXCEPT for one thing and that is the sound. I played one again today at guitar center in austin tx. I just can't wrap my head around the sound of the instrument. If Guido would create the 73 key version of the DMC with a single manual (SMC 73) with the Gemini built in he would blow the Electro away. I've gotten so used to the sound of the Gemini everything else sounds drab. I feel like the Electro is a step back in sound.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Well how about a library option so we can pick and chose our Mojo 61 add on sounds beyond the default organ. Like how they changed the useless DX 7 Ep to a Clav? I would like to be able to select a Vibraphone and a modeled AP, who needs Vox/Farfisa taking up memory space. Never use the church organ either. Perhaps they would have to cone up with a new editor? Is it even possible? A library like this we red things have?

The Gemini card has something like 1.6gb of space on it for samples in addition to the other engines. But for now, they've opted to keep it closed. Their editor and firmware software doesn't allow users to use their own samples in a format like sf2 or something. I suppose that could change too if they wanted to do that.

On a side note - much to the chagrin of some folks - the DX7 EPs are not useless when the band leader calls for tunes from that era. And with all things synth being back in style we will surely see a renaissance of throw back tunes that call for them again!

Dave I wish you would stop describing your ideal keyboard; SMC-76 /weighted with ally side panels! This has given me more psych-GAS over time than any Kurz SP6 or Forte 7.

Guido - the DMC-122 + Gemini is your masterpiece.But this time you should have heeded the man from Delaware!

I think the only fully modeled APs in hardware are from Roland. First only in the pricey V-Piano, but now also in the RD2000. Maybe some/all of the RD800, FP90, FP60.

Sweeping generalisation based on other peoples comments. "If they don't like I don't like it".

There is almost 100% acceptance of modelled Hammond, be it VB3, the Legend, UHL, Nord or Roland. Preferences vary as to which flavour of modelled organ they prefer. Do all these modelled efforts "without fail generate doubt in players"?

Pianoteq generates as much praise as it does criticsm so as a mainstream modelled AP it is certainly not true that "without fail generates doubt in players".

It is true that Pianoteq generates doubt in SOME players, but please let us have an example of a sampled AP that without fail NEVER generates doubt in players.

None of the modelled Hammond's are open source.

Why does a modelled piano have to be open source before it will be acceptable to you?

What's the problem with developers owning their own code and how does code ownership influence the sound of the software?

I think Crumar are to commended for innovating and introducing modelled AP's and EP's across the board and moving on from sampled instruments. Sampling has been with us for 40 or more years and the sounds still don't satisfy many.

Time to move on to modelling and this initiative could not be in better hands than Guidos's, a proven skilled and expert developer.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

The limiting decisions Crumar makes are frustrating.

So they have this Gemini rack/desktop that literally covers all these bases:

VB3-II virtual tonewheel organ

Combo Organ Type F

Combo Organ Type V

String Machine

Pipe Organ

Orchestra

Tines electric piano

Reed electric piano

Electric baby grand piano

Clavi electric piano

PM electric piano

MKS electric piano

Physical modeling trumpet

GVA-1 Virtual Analog synth

GSP-01 Adaptive Sample Player

The weakest area in the lot to my ears is the sampled acoustic piano - which can totally be rectified with some effort or a deal (like Nord did with Sampletekk). But ok, on this product maybe you pair it with a decent stage piano like a CP4 and a synth action controller with faders and you get a proper sounding palette of organs, a programmable synth and some alternate EP tones to kick your rig up a notch.

When the Mojo 61 was buzzing I'm was thinking - Holy crap. We are about to get a Nord Stage killer priced at $2300. But instead they turned off the VA synth, String Machine, Trumpet, and most of the sample library from the Gemini hardware, priced it at $1499 and competed with the XK-1c and Numa Organ 2. Then later decided it should have lots of EPs and an AP (Easter Egg or otherwise) which I know the organ centric players love having available, but as a second tier 61k organ/synth action instrument I'd have rather they left the VA-Synth in and can take or leave having EPs and an AP on this type of instrument.

Now the Seven is out, love the vibe. But the issue of not having some quality APs is still there. The VA-Synth is still turned off. Neither is rectified by placing a Mojo 61 on top of the Seven. So if your gig is EPs and Organs all night this might very well be an attractive setup. If you need acoustic pianos and synth tones that can be mod wheeled, pitch bent, or otherwise tweaked. There's nothing here.

Ways to supplement this rig:

iPad with Module/Ivory and Korg iMono/Poly

Roland Boutique JU-06 and a Dexibell Vivo S7 Module

MacBook/Laptop with MainStage/Cantabile and Garritan CFX or Pianoteq or similar and Uhe Diva or something like this.

I think the only fully modeled APs in hardware are from Roland. First only in the pricey V-Piano, but now also in the RD2000. Maybe some/all of the RD800, FP90, FP60.

Sweeping generalisation based on other peoples comments. "If they don't like I don't like it".

There is almost 100% acceptance of modelled Hammond, be it VB3, the Legend, UHL, Nord or Roland. Preferences vary as to which flavour of modelled organ they prefer. Do all these modelled efforts "without fail generate doubt in players"?

Pianoteq generates as much praise as it does criticsm so as a mainstream modelled AP it is certainly not true that "without fail generates doubt in players".

It is true that Pianoteq generates doubt in SOME players, but please let us have an example of a sampled AP that without fail NEVER generates doubt in players.

None of the modelled Hammond's are open source.

Why does a modelled piano have to be open source before it will be acceptable to you?

What's the problem with developers owning their own code and how does code ownership influence the sound of the software?

I think Crumar are to commended for innovating and introducing modelled AP's and EP's across the board and moving on from sampled instruments. Sampling has been with us for 40 or more years and the sounds still don't satisfy many.

Time to move on to modelling and this initiative could not be in better hands than Guidos's, a proven skilled and expert developer.

Misinterpretation of what I'm saying. Or I didn't express it clearly. No worries. :cheers:

The point about debate over sampling vs. modeling on acoustic pianos (less so on EPs and Organs) is just factual. Players debate what sounds better to them all the time. But I'll share personal opinion if that's better. There are a few models in Pianoteq that to me are quite good. Playable, expressive and for stretches of time have me lulled into enjoying the timbre as very acoustic-like. There's still moments where my ear goes "well that right there isn't what I expected" and then I load up one of the good sample libraries to compare. GSi's EP and Organ models have been excellent for a long time (long before the hardware platform). Always attention to detail and character that comes off as authentic. Also excellent work on the FX we love to hear with these electro mechanical instruments. The acoustic piano is a bugger to get right in modeling. Roland's V-Piano tech is just ok (for me). I think in hardware the CP4 is preferable sounding on APs than the RD-2000. To my ear, I don't believe Roland or Physis are any further along than Pianoteq on getting great results for acoustic pianos with modeling. Could always change tomorrow and I hope it does and that GSi does it. The Gemini/Seven/Mojo need some excellent acoustic sounds in them to match the amazing work done on the EPs and Organs. Entirely opinion, take or leave, ignore, again - no worries. :)

re: open source

the wheel doesn't have to be reinvented all the time. if pieces of the modeling puzzle that are successful were shared between developers it's just my hope that GSi and others could jump into getting some respectable modeled APs running on an instrument like the Seven or what have you.

Modeled instruments behave more realistically . Sampled pianos are like pretty photographs of a piano sound, great for recording, but they do not behave as well when put into action in the field of live playing.

Modeled instruments behave more realistically . Sampled pianos are like pretty photographs of a piano sound, great for recording, but they do not behave as well when put into action in the field of live playing.

That's the stock line about sampled instruments they're "photographs", fixed in time, of sound. My sampled piano is used 99% for live playing and it behaves just fine by me. It's been a while since I tried a modeled piano (V-Piano) but my takeaway was that it sounded somewhat "clinical" for lack of a better word. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy playing it on a gig but IMO it didn't blow away a good sampled piano by any means. I'm assuming that modeling is getting better though; I liked the sound of the Seven's AP I hope I get to try one someday.

I think where Crumar have been smart is including both modelled and sampled versions of each sound in the Seven. In the manual it says this is mainly so you can play sounds like the Wurli and vibraphone outside their natural range.

But I can see circumstances where sampled is going to work better than modelled and vice versa. I have two songs in my set that use acoustic piano sounds. One is the band going full tilt where I think a sampled sound is going to hold its own against the guitar and drums and not get lost. Whereas the other is just piano and vocals with the dynamics on the piano between verse and chorus being an important part on the song. For that I could see modelled being the best option.

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

I'm glad that the Seven is an electric piano first. AP's on these boards is overrated. Play the AP here or the AP on a CP4 through a Roland KC600 or Traynor K4 and it still is miles away from a real piano.

Anything played through the amplification you mention (especially the first) is going to sound miles away from a real piano.

I'm failing to understand the love for this, I have to say. Pug ugly design and considering its compass, in a weight category reminiscent of a bygone age.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D