Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Seven

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks cool, that's for sure. Not sure how the modeled AP stands up against some competition here - Nord Electro HP, Korg Grandstage 73.

Not a fan of the TP-100. Bleh.

Looks very Rhodes-ish. Not sure there's anything that I would sell existing gear to fund.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Its difficult to tell if a Mojo61 would hang too far off the back to balance. If there could be a couple of swing support arm accessories that could be attached to the back of the Seven, that would be very cool. Look Ma: no stands!

Here for the gear.

Is it just me, or does the AP sound terrible? Hard to tell with demos, but to lug a 50+ lb monster to gigs the piano needs to sound amazing. The other sounds are great, but same with my CP4 at almost half the weight.

Now we know why Andrea was so positive on modelled AP sounds last year...

Re. the weight, Crumar I'm sure will point out that if you take the 52 lb. figure, then you need to add the weight of a case/gig bag and stand to your slab to make it comparable.

Crumar says it has 9 synthesis engines:

1. Tine Electric Piano

2. Reed Electric Piano

3. Electric Baby Grand

4. Clavi E.P.

5. DX Digital E.P.

6. MKS Digital E.P.

7. Vibraphone

8. Acoustic Grand Piano

9. Sample Playback

Re. the Sample Playback engine, is the control for that the Pads encoder? Can you load other sounds into it? The rest of the controls seem pretty straightforward.

Guido- Can you add a picture to the web site of what the wifi editor looks like?

What no chrome legs?

I'm Out! :/

my 1982 Rhodes Mark II has factory silver colored baked enamel legs. Still look good after all these years. Chrome is expensive and chips then rusts. Once it chips it looks like crap.

Look Ma: no stands!

re living the 1970's :cool:

:nopity:

I love seeing a keyboard like this come out. The flat top/controls in front is so obviously useful for stacking, but it took a smaller company like Crumar to finally do it.

TP100 is not the best action, but in my opinion the "playability to weight" ratio makes it an excellent choice for a keyboard that's going to be moving around a lot.

They could either do TP40 or the wooden built in case, they couldn't do both and have it be portable by today's standards.

I don't know if I'll be getting one, I'm all keyboarded up at the moment, but with a product like this there's something to be said for giving them a year to work the bugs out anyway.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

User manual now available:

http://www.crumar.it/?a=support&b=36

Huge amounts of detail in here... including the helpful advice not to try and insert your whole arm in the accessory tray.

Couple of things I spotted: the 'pad' is described as a VA synth, and you can connect a USB MIDI controller if you want, as there is no old-school 5-pin MIDI IN.

... and you can connect a USB MIDI controller if you want, as there is no old-school 5-pin MIDI IN.

Which is worthless when your already existing "better weighted action" controller has no USB because it´s built like a tank ultra reliable flat top keyboard from the past.

A.C.

It's a Zarenbourg!

Excellent observation !

But at a better price I guess.

I was waiting for the Zarenbourgh module which didn´t hit the market up to now.

What about a "Seven" module (w/ physical MIDI I/O AND USB) ?

Or is the "Seven" just only a "Gemini" in a keyboard shell ?

A.C.

When is this going to be available? The Seven checks all the boxes for me.

Was there an AP in the demo with Max? I heard one section where it sounded like AP in the treble but sounded like a CP70 in the bass/tenor so I figured it was the CP70 model.

If this thing has a boss AP, I'm all in.

Love the concept and the vibe. The weight is rough for me.

Hoping patch saving is a breeze and recall too from that row of buttons?

The audio in the video is a bit hot as distorting on my phone even with headphones. But we know how the Gemini and Mojo EPs sound.

Not impressed once again with the Acoustic Plano sound presented and that's a deal breaker (for me).

And I'll bring up again. If you gig a Seven and a Mojo. Both of these incarnations of the Gemini hardware omit a programmable synth. Neither has pitch or mod wheels or AT. So can we assume a Crumar synth is coming? That would be great and bad (for me) as I never carry 3 boards. Ever.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Love the concept and the vibe. The weight is rough for me.

Hoping patch saving is a breeze and recall too from that row of buttons?

The audio in the video is a bit hot as distorting on my phone even with headphones. But we know how the Gemini and Mojo EPs sound.

Not impressed once again with the Acoustic Plano sound presented and that's a deal breaker (for me).

And I'll bring up again. If you gig a Seven and a Mojo. Both of these incarnations of the Gemini hardware omit a programmable synth. Neither has pitch or mod wheels or AT. So can we assume a Crumar synth is coming? That would be great and bad (for me) as I never carry 3 boards. Ever.

A quality sounding VA synth and a good organ tone in one cheap package would be ultimate. No other bells and whistles. VR-730 is close, but the organ sounds off. Nord Stage hits the nail on the head but it's 3 grand.

If I were to get the Seven I'd either be putting an Electro or FA on top of it - never both. I'd love to be able to afford a top tier that did both well.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

It's a Zarenbourg!

Excellent observation !

But at a better price I guess.

Along the same lines, this Seven is a God send for my wallet because it is (temporarily?) redirecting my GAS away from that Vintage Vibe 73 in the Garage Sale section... which is in no way in my budget. I understand the differences between the two boards (digital vs. analog, etc.), but this Seven has got some of the same authentic mojo (pun intended) as the VV has.

User manual now available:

http://www.crumar.it/?a=support&b=36

Huge amounts of detail in here...

After a quick read-through it looks as though there's a very good amount of adjusting one can do with the Acoustic Piano so I'd sure like to see if it can find its way into a future Mojo61 OS!

Here for the gear.

TP-40L action is available as 76 and 88 keys versions.

For 73 keys you´d have to cut it.

All the other TP-40 seem to be available with 88 keys only.

Custom product might be too expensive and I´ve never seen any TP40 M, H, GH or WOOD other than w/ 88keys in a keyboard up to now,- so I guess it´s TP-100.

I believe Nord used a 76 key version of the TP40 (non-M) in all the 76 key versions of the Stage prior to the 2EX.

But I agree this is probably TP100 based on the weight in a wood case. (Assuming it must indeed be a Fatar.)

Pricier than I'd expected, but I still see the appeal. I'd be curious to see how the playing experience compares to the SV-1 (which is quite good for EPs in particular). Some will presumably want it for the look/ergonomics/vibe etc. But at that premium over the Korg, it should sound and feel better, we'll see...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I love pretty much everything about this except for the actual sounds themselves. I don't mean that as a slight. I wish more companies were thinking along these lines.

It's evident they put a lot of thought into the practical needs of a stage piano, in ways that are right up my alley. The built-in case. Colored encoders for immediate visual feedback on settings. Flat top. Simple, intuitive layout. Even the accessory tray is a thoughtful addition. Cable connectors on the side - avoids the cascade of wires in front of your knees. (I couldn't tell from the photos/demo if the ends of the jacks are flush with the outer case - allowing you to use right-angle connectors? I personally prefer that setup so that the cables aren't sticking out 4-5" from the edge of the case and just drop straight down.)

But I'm just not convinced that as of today the EP/clav modeling has surpassed the sampling. That's based on the demo and personal use of the Mojo 61, which I assume is the same modelling as the Seven. I haven't tried their acoustic piano modeling in person, but the demo - while perfectly serviceable - didn't really grab me either. That said, I'm sure the modelling is something that will continue to evolve.

I hope Guido and Crumar do well from this board. I showed some friends who work in sales the Seven and they were amazed. Had never heard of Crumar, but they were now dead interested.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Is Hard to tell with demos, but to lug a 50+ lb monster to gigs the piano needs to sound amazing. The other sounds are great, but same with my CP4 at almost half the weight.

How much is your CP4 with a hard case? My Moxf8 is 32 lb without a case but it turns into a 52 lb monster with (plastic) Gator ATA case.

So it's about 44 lbs if you don't pack the legs into the top part of the case. That's carryable for short distances but there is no shoulder strap, so it's 44 lbs in one hand, which is not a great way to limber your fingers up for a gig. I think the legs and the case are supercool, but from a portability standpoint, I'm not sure the hard case is really better. I guess if it's flight-worthy, then you're saving weight over an ATA case, but then your beautiful Crumar shell takes a beating. For the drive-to gig, I'd rather put a 30+ lb keyboard into a soft case with wheels and/or shoulder strap.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64