Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2912860 - 03/03/18 12:08 PM Boss TU 3
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Can anybody tell me if the Boss TU 3 tuner has a built-in buffer?

GP Island
#2912866 - 03/03/18 12:49 PM Re: Boss TU 3 [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Picker, ALL Boss pedals will double as buffers, believe it or not; ask Bob Bradshaw. The TU-3 should be just fine, if that's part of your purpose in using it.

My favorite old-school Boost/Buffer is the MXR Micro Amp. Put one at the very front of your signal chain, turn it on and bump it up to where you can just barely tell that it's on. Makes a huge difference if you have any kind of Envelope Filter, or dynamically sensitive effects in your signal chain.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2912902 - 03/03/18 02:57 PM Re: Boss TU 3 [Re: Winston Psmith]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Thanks, Winston! I was looking at buffers on the internet last night. I googled "buffer pedal" and the usual dedicated boxes came up, but one of the entries had the TU-3 in it. I tried looking into it, and couldn't find a yay or nay on it. I'm assuming the TU-2 has it as well, since all Boss pedals will double as buffers. Is it safe to assume that the buffer in the pedal is designed to operate at unity, since there doesn't appear to be any adjustment option on it?

#2912907 - 03/03/18 03:47 PM Re: Boss TU 3 [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Nothing to adjust, just put the TU-3 first in your signal chain - doesn't even have to be turned on. But, like I say, if you have ANY Boss pedal in the front of your signal chain, you'll still get the buffer benefit. The main advantage to the Tuner is that it shouldn't add any tone coloration, whether it's On or Off, but still gives you the buffer when it's Off.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2918929 - 04/03/18 07:36 AM Re: Boss TU 3 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Psychotronic Offline

Loc: NY, NY
You can always go with the TU-3w, which has a switchable buffer.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose