Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2912210 - 02/28/18 12:27 PM Original ts808
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
Original ts808 are between $800. and $1900. On Reverb.
I wonder how much the would be if SRV hadn't used one.

GP Island
#2912220 - 02/28/18 01:02 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
They’re good pedals, and people use them for a reason. SRV’s not the only big name player who did. Ditto pedals like the Klon Centaur.

But yeah, without him and a few other axe-gods, they probably command half those prices at best. Maybe a third.

OTOH, I’ve seen crazy prices on pedals NOT associated with big name players. I love Spaceman Effects, but their prices skyrocket after each edition ends. AFAIK, nobody famous is using them, but they’re commanding Klon/ts808 prices. I’m glad I got what I did when I did.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2912262 - 02/28/18 03:56 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I had one TS808 back in the day, I never bonded with it truthfully. I probably gave it away to a friend or one of my sons. Can't remember truthfully what happened to it. I do have a Boss Blues Driver which is probably a TS808 Clone. I use it for a bit of tone control, and as a boost without using any of the distortion characteristics as it is too fuzzy for me. But it is excellent in boosting the power of my Strat Pickups and cutting the trebles a big bunch.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2912268 - 02/28/18 04:41 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: desertbluesman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
A friend gave me his old EH Big Muff Pi many years ago. I tried it out once, didn't care for it & put it in a closet. I recently got it out, cleaned it up & had a tech fix some bad solder joints. Turns out this is an early 70s model which is regularly going for $800 & up on eBay. Yikes. My friend passed away a few years ago or I'd share the profits with him if & when I sell it. At the very least I raise a wee dram in his general direction. Personally I don't believe there is a single pedal ever made which is worth this kind of bread, unless it was Jimi's own personal Fuzz Face.

#2912354 - 03/01/18 04:39 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Y'know, I only own a couple of acoustics. But I try and store much of this info for if or when I invest in an electric.

Tell ya the truth, since by then I'd be long past the desire to join or form a working band, I'd say that $800 for a pedal seems kinda STIFF, considering I'd probably pay only HALF of that on an AMP! wink
Whitefang

#2912401 - 03/01/18 07:52 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I had a Tube Screamer 808 back in '79. It is the only pedal that ever broke down on me. So I was never a fan of Ibanez pedals after that. I love SRV's sound and can see paying $200 for a new one if that is what some players are after... cool

#2912471 - 03/01/18 11:48 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Never liked the Tube Screamer sound, in any of its incarnations, and my opinion of the vintage market is that anyone who wants to pay collector's prices for gear that someone has been stomping underfoot for decades deserves whatever they get.

@Larryz - those old Ibanez switches were notorious for failing: if you notice, most of the modded ones (Kelly & Analog Man) have a different switch mounted on the top.

You can buy a new TS808 re-issue for around $180, or a used one for around $100, and save a LOT of money; plus, you get to beat the hell out if it yourself.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2912514 - 03/01/18 02:11 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Winston, I saw new TS808's on line for $179 +/- to $200. I don't know if they are as good as the originals that everyone wants to buy for $800 LOL! You hit the nail on the head as it was the square foot stomping switch that broke on me... cool

#2912673 - 03/02/18 10:15 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
If I were considering a Tube Screamer stylee, one (or, two, as it is) of the first that comes to mind that I'd be interested in would be the Voodoo Sparkle Drive and Sparkle Drive Mod. The primary attractive feature of these is their Clean-blend knob, allowing the straight-signal to be blended with the overdrive. This can be used to reintroduce attack- the "sparkle"- and also to blend a smooth brew of soft mild to medium overdrive tone.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2912679 - 03/02/18 10:50 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
surfergirl Offline

I was going to get a EarthQuacker Devices Dunes, but the Sparkle Drive is $60 cheaper and the mod $40 cheaper. I will try it out next time I get to a music store.
The downside of live in the middle of nowhere, no music stores nearby. Over 20 surf shops and a Ukulele store, but no guitar stores.

#2912688 - 03/02/18 11:01 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: surfergirl

The downside of live in the middle of nowhere, no music stores nearby. Over 20 surf shops and a Ukulele store, but no guitar stores.

Awwww. Must be tough, living in Hawaii. That's a synonym for "Paradise" isn't it?

Edited by Fred_C (03/02/18 11:03 AM)

#2912722 - 03/02/18 02:33 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
10k Club

I was going to get a EarthQuacker Devices Dunes, but the Sparkle Drive is $60 cheaper and the mod $40 cheaper.

Is that "Quacker", or "Quaker"?

I can't help but think of duck sounds. wink
Whitefang

#2912730 - 03/02/18 03:09 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I was going to get a EarthQuacker Devices Dunes, but the Sparkle Drive is $60 cheaper and the mod $40 cheaper. I will try it out next time I get to a music store.

Best of luck with your quest and safe travels! Let us know what you like and don't like about these various pedals. If you can, use your own guitar and amp to try them out.

I've never owned a TS or TS-based pedal; I've always just cranked up my tube-amps and then used my guitar's volume-controls to vary the sound from clean to mean to scream to beam-me-up, Scotty- often with the help of a fuzz/octave-fuzz pedal here and a distortion pedal there, etc. for the latter. You might try a similar approach with a Tube Screamer type pedal, as well- that is, using your guitar's volume-knobs with the amp cranked and the pedal dialed-in 'just right' (if you weren't already planning to).

I have plugged into a Tube Screamer before, and I have used digitally-modeled Tube Screamer and Sparkle Drive 'virtual pedals' in modeler/multi-effects devices, which led me to believe that I would probably enjoy a real genuine-article Sparkle Drive or Sparkle Drive Mod sometime...

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I was going to get a EarthQuacker Devices Dunes, but the Sparkle Drive is $60 cheaper and the mod $40 cheaper.

Is that "Quacker", or "Quaker"?

I can't help but think of duck sounds. wink
Whitefang

Naah, a duck-call requires a Strat in switch-position 2 or 4 and a wah-pedal; a Tube Screamer 'll just make that into a mean bull-goose sound... wink

#2912741 - 03/02/18 04:10 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
surfergirl Offline

@Fred C. My family has lived here for over 100 years, I would not live anywhere else.
@Whitefang. Ops!!!
@Ceavan. Right now I'm using an MXR blue box, TS9 and a Boss CS3 into a Fender Supersonic 22 112 combo.

#2912804 - 03/03/18 04:38 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
10k Club

@Caevan: "Bull goose" sound? Heh! I can get that by just trying to SING! wink
@Surfergirl: wink

Whitefang

#2912807 - 03/03/18 05:10 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Well there is an entire market for pedals that `sound like`, or are based on, the ts808. My distortion pedal is likely one of them-deets here:
https://rodenberg-amplification.com/eng/gas809.htm

..and a little something from the man himself-I was not familiar before I bought the pedal. Customer service is great and well....here`s Tom Riepl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOH8iT3ljuM

Edited by skipclone 1 (03/03/18 05:24 AM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2912817 - 03/03/18 06:53 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Surfergirl, that Fender Supersonic 22 is one cool tuber amp! cool

#2912837 - 03/03/18 09:12 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I own several pedals inspired by the TS. The two I use most are the T-Rex MAB overdrive and the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde V2 dual OD/Distortion pedal. Visual Sound also used the same TS OD circuit in most of their dual pedals that offered overdrive, including BOTH sides of the Double Trouble.

When VS changed its name to TrueTone, they redesigned several of their dual pedals. The J&H V3 still uses a (further tweaked) version of the TS circuit, but the Double Trouble was redesigned to have a TS style circuit for one OD, and a Nobels OD inspired circuit for the other., and is now called the VS-XO.

Most of the TS inspired pedals I know are improvements upon the original, at least in the sense of offering more control over tonal parameters.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2912844 - 03/03/18 09:39 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
@ Surfergirl, that Fender Supersonic 22 is one cool tuber amp! cool

+1, on the Super Sonic being way cool. I always wanted to try one out, never got a chance however. (not yet anyways)

#2912859 - 03/03/18 11:55 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: desertbluesman]
surfergirl Offline

We kinda fell into to the amp. My family has been doing business with this music store since it opened. He took this amp in trade and knew my we where looking for a amp for me, so he called us and we got it for $450. I've had it 2 years now and all I've done is change the power tubes. You really don't need an OD pedal on the burn channel, but I use the vintage channel almost exclusively. I like things simple, volume, treble and bass.

Edited by surfergirl (03/03/18 11:59 AM)

#2912867 - 03/03/18 12:50 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

You got a great deal on that amp Surfergirl especially at your local Hawaii prices! I would run an MXR Comp for a good clean boost in front (or other clean boost pedal). It will really rock the joint while you are on the gain channels (if needed) as you already have some very cool gain sounds and controls. It would also allow for the ability to increase the clean channel volume for leads and then go back normal volume for rhythm without touching any guitar or amp controls. The Fat on/off switch also adds some cool variation on the clean channel sound(s). The only other pedal I might consider is an MXR Carbon Copy Delay (or other good delay) if you want to kick it in and get real surfey on a few tunes and then go back to a normal clean verb sound! I love the looks and functions of that 4 position foot switch that comes with the amp and the light weight of 40lbs in a tuber 112 combo! cool

Edited by Larryz (03/03/18 12:57 PM)

#2912871 - 03/03/18 01:02 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Larryz & Surfergirl -

Just mentioned this in a reply to Picker, but my favorite old-school Boost/Buffer is the MXR Micro Amp. Works well to drive long effects chains, or long cables, with no tone coloration. I dial mine up just past Noon, which is right about where I can tell that it's On. It's NOT a "transparent Overdrive", it's really just a clean Boost/Buffer. Sure, if you crank it, your Amp will overdrive, but the pedal itself doesn't clip the signal; no Schmitt trigger, no square waves . . .

#2912886 - 03/03/18 01:49 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We kinda fell into to the amp. My family has been doing business with this music store since it opened. He took this amp in trade and knew my we where looking for a amp for me, so he called us and we got it for $450. I've had it 2 years now and all I've done is change the power tubes. You really don't need an OD pedal on the burn channel, but I use the vintage channel almost exclusively. I like things simple, volume, treble and bass.

Nice deal @$450 surfergirl. I have heard great things about the burn channel and the vintage channel options on the super sonic series.

#2912900 - 03/03/18 02:47 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I suggest this, which is my basic advice for all instrument or gear decisions.
Try the thing out in the place where you'll most oft use it.

While reviews or commentaries may steer you in certain directions, remember that those are oft driven by economic concerns for players on tour, who get gear at gigs that they do not use when recording.

Try it in the store...& not just one but every one they'll let you try to hear how the individual modules behave.

Take it home & use it overnight to hear how it actually works for how you might use it.

While this may not be as crucial as in the past, there's a demonstrable variation in how some electrical gear works depending on how it's connected w/ other gear & even in response to such oddball aspects of stuff as the freaking weather !
[Ever wonder WTF happened to yer IP connection on some days ?]

Make yer choices on what yer experience is, what you actually hear, not just on what you "hear" secondarily.

#2912909 - 03/03/18 04:01 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
I suggest this, which is my basic advice for all instrument or gear decisions.
Try the thing out in the place where you'll most oft use it.

Make yer choices on what yer experience is, what you actually hear, not just on what you "hear" secondarily.

@d - Forgive me for truncating your post, but wanted to get to a particular point. Try out any piece of gear with the gear you're going to use it with, as well, in the store, before you even bring it home.

If you're testing out a Guitar in the store, plug into the closest thing to the Amp you have at home, and vice versa. Trying out a new pedal? Same thing applies. Don't like what you hear? Ask to try another of the same model. Still not happy? Time to check out the alternatives.

#2912930 - 03/03/18 06:48 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
@Larryz & Surfergirl -

Just mentioned this in a reply to Picker, but my favorite old-school Boost/Buffer is the MXR Micro Amp. Works well to drive long effects chains, or long cables, with no tone coloration. I dial mine up just past Noon, which is right about where I can tell that it's On. It's NOT a "transparent Overdrive", it's really just a clean Boost/Buffer. Sure, if you crank it, your Amp will overdrive, but the pedal itself doesn't clip the signal; no Schmitt trigger, no square waves . . .

I hear ya Brother Winston...What I was driving at [pun intended] was that amp SurferGirl is running really doesn't need an OD or TS808 as it has such a great gain control set up. I would just boost it with a clean boost or comp pedal. The amp has two gain controls. You can use gain 1 or gain 2. Or, you can blend them and use more of one and less of the other and vise versa...which gets some very cool drive sounds in the demos. If I tried one out for real in the store, I could change my mind. But from the demos, I think I could dial in the sound that I would want...SurferGirl could tell us more as she's been using the amp and knows it a lot better than I do LOL! I'm just guessing... cool

Edited by Larryz (03/03/18 06:51 PM)

#2913213 - 03/05/18 02:46 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Larryz]
surfergirl Offline

I don't use od on the burn channel. I do use it on the vintage channel. I think I'll look at the Micro amp next time I go to Honolulu. I like the vintage channel sooo much it's hard to get off it, but I'm going to inject more of the burn channel in.

#2913263 - 03/05/18 09:30 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 SG, I'm always on the clean channel with a little verb on my amps and I rarely use the gain channels. I would like to try the gain channels on one of those Supersonic some day just for kicks! Have fun with it! cool

#2913299 - 03/06/18 05:23 AM Re: Original ts808 [Re: surfergirl]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Right now I'm using an MXR blue box, TS9 and a Boss CS3 into a Fender Supersonic 22 112 combo.

You really don't need an OD pedal on the burn channel, but I use the vintage channel almost exclusively. I like things simple, volume, treble and bass.

Nice rig! Nice amp!

Try this on the Burn Channel: set the Gain 1 and Gain 2 controls to a low/medium pre-gain level, and the Volume just a little higher than you intend to play- 'most of the time'.

Then roll-back your guitar's volume-control til you get a clean tone from the amp. Adjust the amp's Gain, Volume, and EQ controls to taste. Roll-up your guitar's volume-knob for varying degrees of Burn. You can wind up with something like continuously-variable multi-channel switching with no channel-switching at all, "playing the amp" just by adjusting your guitar's volume-control(s) and your "touch". It's my very favorite way to play!

#2913835 - 03/08/18 10:13 PM Re: Original ts808 [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
surfergirl Offline

I did it. I took the rock setting from the manual and and adjusted till I got a setting I liked and used it at practice tonight. The only pedal I used was my CS3, worked out great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose