Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SP6 action vs Privia action

I'm gassing for the SP6 but don't want an action that is lighter my PX-350. Can anyone help with a compare and contrast?

Thanks to all

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only had a brief time with a PX-5S, I'm assuming its the same action as the PX-350, and it was before I got the SP6 but I don't think that there's a significant difference between them. From memory, I would say that the PX-5S is the better piano action of the two but I don't think that there's much in it.

I can only really compare the SP6 with my MP11, which is a little unfair considering the price and weight difference between the two. The MP11 has a lovely light, even action that feels smooth and linear on both press and return. By comparison the SP6 feels heavier and less linear. The initial push requires slightly more pressure and end of the return gives more push under the fingers, the SP6 has a springier feel. So compared to the MP11 I don't feel like I have the quite the same fine control, especially with the pianos which is pretty much all I play on the MP11. Having said that, within a few minutes of sitting down at the SP6 the last thing on my mind is the weight and feel of the keys; I'm finding it an easy adjustment.

The other thing that might make a difference is the different velocity curves that are available. So far, I've not tried playing around with them. As with much else in my life: time, energy and ability are in severely limited quantities.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the SP6.

Kawai MP11, Kurzweil SP6, Arturia Keylab49

The million dollar question in the $1k gigger's digital slab piano category.

Much easier to find a Casio on a showroom floor than an SP6.

You'll have to order one or take a drive (or flight) to compare for yourself.

Patches wise, the Casios have some nice presets and samples in their instruments. The PX-5S has a capable synth engine - the 560 can do a lot of those patches.

But Kurzweil definitely has the upper hand and experience in sound development and design.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I took the view that I wasn't going to be able try out a SP6 locally so I found an online supplier that offers 2 months trial and free return (most only offer 1 month, although that would have been enough). Given that the SP6 seemed to tick all the boxes it wasn't a difficult decision to give it a go.

The thing that really attracted me to the SP6 over other similar boards is the availability of the Kurzweil sound sets.

Currently, I'm a very happy camper.

I took the view that I wasn't going to be able try out a SP6 locally so I found an online supplier that offers 2 months trial and free return

That sounds like a very economical way to hire a keyboard for a few months!

Seriously though - im in the UK and looking to get the SP6.

Cant believe no store in London is selling it only places in Eatbourne or the main distributor.So no where to get hands on.

Can you divulge where you bought it and what kind of a deal you they gave you? Bax (based in Holland)stock it but sometimes their prices are all over the place.

Looking forward to using it as a controller because it looks comprehensive but easy to set up.

Jahfume, under the UK's DIstance Selling Act, almost all online/mail order purchases can be returned within 30 days of purchase. You just need to make sure you read the small print regarding any restocking/return mail charges.

Just as one example, Gear4Music is offering the SP6 returns are free and very straightforward from this seller, in my experience.

In truth (and sadly for the bricks and mortar places), for experienced musicians in particular, this is probably the best way of buying a product, as you get several days with it rather than an hour or so, in the comfort of your own home where you're not dependent on crappy headphones or competing with guitars etc.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Yes I got mine through BAX who offer the extended 2 month trial. As Aidan says you've otherwise got 30 days. At the time BAX were the only supplier that had immediate delivery, that was early Dec.

I agree with Aidan on the trial, I wanted the extended time so that I would not need to make a hasty decision.

I've just googled prices and BAX is currently showing the best price but its not in stock. Its over £100 cheaper now that what I paid in Dec. I knew that I was paying a premium for early delivery.

Gear4Music currently have 2 in stock but at a £30 premium over the others.

I doubt the actions are the same. I love the dynamic (pp...ff) way the Casio engine responds to it beautifuly weighted action. I have yet to meet a Kurzweil action that plays like a piano action.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Patches wise, the Casios have some nice presets and samples in their instruments. The PX-5S has a capable synth engine - the 560 can do a lot of those patches.

I think Casio lags behind Kurz in synth functionality if only because of the lack of a mono (single note) mode, but also at its heart just the lack of a real VA engine. And most of Casio's acoustic instrument samples are, IMO, not as good as even the Kurz PC3 series samples, to say nothing of the newer samples of the Forte/SP6 era. Nor does Casio have a clonewheel engine. Casio does have some very nice sounds, but I struggle to think of any "bread and butter" sound where I wouldn't prefer a Kurz. OTOH, Casio is still a good sounding board, and is lighter and cheaper than Kurz, and probably has a better action, and some other advantages, like speakers in a PX560, or a more capable control surface in a PX5S. So as usual, there's no single right choice. But on sound alone, I'd have to go Kurz, personally.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

("I was going to go PX5S route but now that I have latched onto this I think I'm going to go for it. I'm only 40 miles from Gear4Music. Having said that, it's £300 more expensive than the PX5S. I presume I'm getting more for my money").

I've never played a Casio that could replace ANY of the Kurzweils I've owned and played over the past 7 years....well maybe except for Kurz's SP4 and their Artis "SE" models, both of which I found to have very clunky, noisy keys.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Alto TS312 Powered Speakers (2)

Samson 6 channel mixer

I think Casio lags behind Kurz in synth functionality if only because of the lack of a mono (single note) mode, but also at its heart just the lack of a real VA engine. And most of Casio's acoustic instrument samples are, IMO, not as good as even the Kurz PC3 series samples, to say nothing of the newer samples of the Forte/SP6 era. Nor does Casio have a clonewheel engine. Casio does have some very nice sounds, but I struggle to think of any "bread and butter" sound where I wouldn't prefer a Kurz. OTOH, Casio is still a good sounding board, and is lighter and cheaper than Kurz, and probably has a better action, and some other advantages, like speakers in a PX560, or a more capable control surface in a PX5S. So as usual, there's no single right choice. But on sound alone, I'd have to go Kurz, personally.

Really fair assessment. There are reasons to go with either - strengths of both pointed out. As usual it will come down to needs and preference.

On the up side, now with Kurzweil in the price range of the PX-5S it might be enough of a nudge for Casio to finally deliver a successor to their very successful 5S with focus being on the ample feedback they have from owners and continuing to improve on their sample library and patch programming.

I love Kurz instruments. From the PC88 on. I had played a PC88 for a few years at a back line company jam. I have a couple of Casios, PX160, and a XW-P1, and for practicality and value, they can't be beat. I'm not of the "onward and upward", "nothing like the newest model" type. I still like the Kurz PC1x I bought when I couldn't find a new PC88. My favorite action now is the Korg SV-1; a close second is the Privia action.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I've been checking Sweetwater regularly, and it looked like they're going to start receiving SP6's is a few days, so I placed an order. Then I got an email saying that they've got to fill back-orders, so mine probably won't ship until April. Oof.

I have doing the same thing and had contacted Dave W. about ordering, but it appeared that most US retailers would not have stock until

March and then as you have stated, back orders first. Funny how some keyboards hit stores shortly after they debut and others are months away from being available.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Usually the dealer has at least 30 days to pay from the day they receive them, so they're not fronting the cash.

As for why some products are immediately available when announced and others have long waits, I suspect it's largely marketing strategy. The advantage of announcing something months before it's available is that you may persuade some people to wait rather than buy an immediately-available item from a competitor. The disadvantage of announcing something well in advance is that it can hurt the sales of your current products, if people choose to wait for your new product instead. (Something that basically put Osborne computers out of business, if you can remember that far back.) So I think companies probably make the pre-announce-or-not decision based on both the competitive landscape, and what their own inventory level is on any similar (i.e. soon-to-be-discontinued) products they have in stock.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Dealers take pre-orders, they take deliveries and turn around to send out, they also in some cases just take the sale and gear gets sent straight to you from manufacturer. And some dealers stock things they are certain they will sell. And in current trends they also do the 30-45 return period and have to sell gear as open box, B-stock, returned, etc. They also in most cases pay for a floor model in the showroom which one of the reasons we have a hard time finding what we want to play on a showroom floor.

Where manufacturers decide to send as stuff comes off the line... well you have preferred dealer status, yeah certain regions and markets you want to get the stuff to ahead of elsewhere. Im sure there is some big data voodoo as to why it goes to X instead of Y.

Thanks for the retail advice Aidan and Toey.

I did hear that last year the regs. covering internet or distance sales had been changed and the return period for certain market segments had been reduced to 14 days.Ultimately its up to individual retailers what period they offer.

Gear 4 Music threw in a nice wheeled case for cheap when I last used them so I may see what kind of a deal I can get out of them on an SP6 - when I've shifted some other gear.

• 1 year later...

Wondering if anyone can provide any updates with regards to the SP6 keyboard feel and action as compared to the General Privia series (PX-5s, PX-560, etc.) and even as a compare to the S3000/S1000 series.

I use a PX-5s, action is great for acoustic piano, but is a little sluggish for organ, synth, bass. Wondering if the SP6 is generally 'faster' than Privia action, but still has enough weighted feel for decent acoustic piano work (response and sensitivity)?

I've tried the newer Privia S series action, its a little faster, and smoother than the Privia, however, seems to be a little odd as you find yourself playing in the 'black' key (flat keys) area

Really trying to get a good sense of the SP6 keys as compared to the original Privia line.