Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which size Rock 'n roller cart

Best cart ever. Easiest and quickest, strongest, and most reliable (many years now vs. others lasting a year each on average). I stayed away from the four-wheeler versions though. Less flexible overall, and some said not as reliable.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I may have to break down and get one of these. Ive been using a Magliner Gemini Sr heavy duty convertible hand truck for about 15 years - the same monsters that UPS uses. But its 50lbs and doesnt hold much more than these RnR carts. The main advantage is stability and wheel size.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Hey my old thread popped back up :) i don't see a followup by me so I'll mention that (like someone else apparently earlier) I got the R14 iirc when it was on sale. It's big enough to lay down my VR700's soft case with room to spare. This thing has been one of my best gear purchases ever, right there behind IEMs. Other band members were so impressed with it after borrowing it once (I don't do all of our gigs, they bill as a 4-piece sometimes) that now we have four of them in the band LOL!

I even use it often with very short load-ins. Any time i have to get through a door or squeeze past tables it's worth it to load it up. I have maybe 4 trips at most so for a short walk outdoor porch deal where I don't have to thread my way through patrons I don't bother.

Wow, that's worth a trip to Home Depot to check out. I really like the height of the handle....

I think my wife got one for herself, to help bring relatively small items up stairs. If it's the same dolly, and I think it is, it's no good. It's flimsy and clunky.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I think I just saw the Home Depot $110 cart at Boscov's in this morning's paper ( normally $40) for $20. Holds 100 pounds, 6 wheel design. How does Home Depot justify $110?

clonk

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RMH1

That's the one I've been using for probably five years now. It doesn't have bungees, but you have to be careful with those anyway as I've had them break mid-journey on previous carts that I owned.

The cart above, is what I use for my Fender Bassman 4x10 combo amp, and a few other things. It has not yet been put to the test in transporting an 88-key board.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

That looks awfully similar. Maybe Ultimate Stands will buy Rock 'n Roller next? :-) Wonder if they're using the same manufacturer?

I own the RNR R10 and it's about 15 years old. In looking at maybe upgrading; I noticed the R12 is actually the same size as the R10 with the only difference being the R12 is 1lb heavier, size of the front casters, and the price. Except for Sand and Grass, I've never had a problem with rolling my R10. If your strapped for cash, the R10 is just as good!

• 4 years later...

Bringing this one back from the dead a second time.

Sitting here keeping tabs on a sore back/pulled muscle from strapping on a Yamaha DXR10 and a shoulder bag filled with cables and goodies, while carrying a Z stand in one hand and a PX-5S in another to and from a rehearsal room, I think it’s time for this middle-aged body to get a cart.

Is consensus among users still that “bigger is better”? Like others in this thread, the difference in cost is not a deterrent, but I do like the idea of it being as small as possible in my car (or in “storage” on the porch).

To OP (Stokely):  If I read you post correctly, it sounds like needing this big cart is a one-off, or at least, rare.   Not sure if this has been suggested already, but have you considered renting?  Synthaholic (above) mentioned using a Magliner Gemini Sr heavy duty convertible hand truck.  They're used for fridges and heavy furniture.   You have U-Haul in the U.S., right?   You can probably rent one (or similar) there (I did).   Just a thought.

Oh, wait... I just figured out that your gig happened in 2016....    Never mind.

Richard

Kinda ironic seeing this- Did a gig earlier in the week at Atlanta's Carter Center.   I brought my Mid Size R&R Cart, Bass player has a mini, and Drummer had the super deluxe big boy.  I wish I had taken a pic. 

The RnR cart is the best piece of gear I've ever bought- Yes, only time I regret not getting the bigger one is when doing events having to roll on gravel-grass. The bigger tires work better there.  But the mid-size has worked for just about everything.  I've considered hacking mine and putting on some  larger Home depot generics.

If you do  bunch of festival type stuff and have to roll on natural surfaces,  one of those garden wagon things with 4 big tires might actually  be a better fit. 

On 3/5/2018 at 5:16 AM, kbrkr said:

I own the RNR R10 and it's about 15 years old. In looking at maybe upgrading; I noticed the R12 is actually the same size as the R10 with the only difference being the R12 is 1lb heavier, size of the front casters, and the price. Except for Sand and Grass, I've never had a problem with rolling my R10. If your strapped for cash, the R10 is just as good!

I hate X-stands, but will say they play much nicer loading on this cart. Since I've switched to Z and Table stands, and no longer have my big rectangle piano case as the bottom - my stuff is falling all over the place- so have to bungee. 

Funny thing-  anytime someone offers to help me move gear, they can never figure out the sequence  (or how to close/open) those collapsible handles. 

I finally took a grey sharpie and numbered mine "1 &2" ,  because at the end of the night I can't either!

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

10 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

To OP (Stokely):  If I read you post correctly, it sounds like needing this big cart is a one-off, or at least, rare.   Not sure if this has been suggested already, but have you considered renting?  Synthaholic (above) mentioned using a Magliner Gemini Sr heavy duty convertible hand truck.  They're used for fridges and heavy furniture.   You have U-Haul in the U.S., right?   You can probably rent one (or similar) there (I did).   Just a thought.

Oh, wait... I just figured out that your gig happened in 2016....    Never mind.

Richard

LOL I'm just glad I read through the thread before chiming in about my RnR cart.  I literally almost did just that.

Funny enough, after my Modx7 became my main keyboard--sometimes only one--I don't use my cart much.  It is very light and has a backpack gigbag.  My other keyboard has a rolling case, and my cables/pedalboard/other gear now is transported in a rolling Husky toolbox (really works great, got it at Home Depot).   So I really don't need to carry heavy stuff much at all, it's all pretty easy even if I take multiple trips.

Also, our gigs have changed and we don't tend to get the long haul types as often.  All that said, when you *do* get one, that's when you need a cart.  I know of one coming up--hard rock resort in daytona--where the load-in goes from a parking lot through the entire hotel and out past a pool, you can bet I'll use it there.

I will echo what others ended up saying--the bigger carts are heavy, and they are a pain themselves to manhandle into and out of your vehicle.  That's the downside, otherwise I'd go big if the price is right.  The wheels on mine are not inflated, which is ok because we almost never need to go on grass.