Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2910458 - 02/18/18 11:26 AM Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!)
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Okay, veeeery interested to hear what you guys think of this one!

Funky Young Monks is a collaborative bi-coastal studio project infusing classic rock/blues roots with modern pop sensibilites...and, of course, a healthy dose of da funk. Founding members Ed (Brother Duato) Scheer and David (Brother dB) Bryce are joined by a rotating collective of seasoned session musicians with the goal of extreme indulgence, and having as much fun as possible with the creative process.

cool grin

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

KC Island
#2910686 - 02/19/18 10:51 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Dave Bryce]
Joe P Online   sick
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ
Great groove, love the synth melody. Very cool! thu

Some jazz "scat" in there?

#2910727 - 02/19/18 01:23 PM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Joe P]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Joe P
Great groove, love the synth melody. Very cool! thu

Some jazz "scat" in there?

Thanks, Joe!

I used the Manhattan Transfer samples for the PC3 for the vocal stuff - some of my favorite parts in the tune. There's a separate "scat" bass line running throughout most of the track, and I also used them for the "horn section" hits.

dB

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

#2911852 - 02/26/18 09:35 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Dave Bryce]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Love the tune and performance - you guys definitely have the groove going. I do think it's a bit busy in the low mid/bass at times. For example the last line of the chorus has that really well placed chromatic chord progression - but I have to work at it after the fact to figure out "what was that"? Also there's a somewhat distracting percussive sizzlely synth sound happening on the left side during the well done synth lead on the right grooving along with the bass; maybe cluttering things up a bit.

Just my novice 2 cents and still really cool song! like

#2911884 - 02/26/18 01:54 PM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Markyboard]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Yep, I know what you mean about that chromatic build at the end of the chorus - it is a bit cluttered.

Re: the sizzly Pro2 synth sound - yes, I have two different sounds panned left and right with the guitar doing the same line panned center - I like that effect. I played with panning the guitar and non-resonant synth and leaving the sizzly one in the middle...but it didn't really work as well, IMO.

Thanks so much for the feedback, brother Mark!

dB

#2912032 - 02/27/18 11:21 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Okay, veeeery interested to hear what you guys think of this one!

finally took the time to listen. Loved it. Very clear Steely Dan influence. twothumbs

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

#2912041 - 02/27/18 12:14 PM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: davedoerfler]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Man, sounds great, dB. twothumbs What's the personnel/what did you take care of?

#2912072 - 02/27/18 02:42 PM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: MAJUSCULE]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Sounds great, which I mean literally: the sound is fantastic. Good singer; Fagen would be proud. Nice work all around.

#2915950 - 03/19/18 11:35 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: MathOfInsects]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Thanks, guys!

Final mix is up there now. Marky, I implemented some of the changes you suggested (e.g. panned sizzly Pro2 synth sound is gone). Less cluttered now in general, I'd say. Thanks!

Just sent it off to Richard Dodd for mastering. cool

Majuscule, the bass is Don Schiff, the master of the N/S stick. The guitars are Stan Cotey, an amazing multi-instrumentalist who works for Fender and (among other things) used to play with Kevin Gilbert. Roseanna-esque drum groove and killer vocals were done by the guy who wrote the lyrics and co-wrote the music with me, Ed Scheer from the New England swing band The Love Dogs. We tracked Ed's live drums and vocals at Zippah Recording in Boston, with my buddy Brian Charles at the console there.

All the rest - keys, electronic loops and percussion, vocal fx, arrangement, recording/production and mixing - is me, done in my studio. I'm really pleased with the way this one came out. Major labor of love... smile

Eddie and I wrote and recorded this tune (along with three others) originally in 1982. It was the first recording project we tried by ourselves. We did it with a Fostex A8 8-track reel to reel, a Fostex 250 mixer, a Yamaha CP30, a Mini Moog, a TR808, a bass guitar and a digital delay pedal. I'm actually gettting ready to release a Funky Young Monks EP with updated versions of three of the four along with another sort of new track. Another one was the track Wrap It Up that I did with Carlo, Jeff Lorber and brother Cygnus64 a year or so ago.

It's a lot of fun to be able to revisit those tracks years later with a bit more experience, access to killer players and muuuuch better toys. grin

dB

#2916661 - 03/22/18 07:41 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Dave Bryce]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

The current upload was mastered by Richard Dodd.

Very cool...the man is a legend.

dB

#2916684 - 03/22/18 08:59 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Dave Bryce]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Sounds really good.

Congrats.

#2916736 - 03/22/18 12:20 PM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: MathOfInsects]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Thanks, Josh!

dB

#2916791 - 03/22/18 04:12 PM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Dave Bryce]
gino Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW, Australia
Great work Dave. i really enjoyed it. Very high quality work.

Cheers

#2916915 - 03/23/18 08:34 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: gino]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Thanks, Gino!

dB

#2919186 - 04/04/18 11:39 AM Re: Funky Young Monks: The Groove (Chiquita!) [Re: Dave Bryce]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Sounds great dB. Congrats on the mix as well!

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.