Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Vox Continental - Some thoughts

It's a little confusing. My Vox came with a black tier, the Grandstage with a slightly shorter silver tier. Both are tiltable. Both can be reversed inside to out, the problem, I think, is that it will only match the width of the bottom struts in one configuration. So it looks to me like you have to stick with whatever works with the bottom strut assembly.

They're really nice stands, worth the $$$ I think, especially if you're a sit down player. I would try putting them in a cheap keyboard gig bag for transport.

On the other hand, there's options that will cost less, take up less stage space, and have quicker setup and breakdown, so I doubt these are going to take the keyboard stand world by storm.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

it looks to me like you have to stick with whatever works with the bottom strut assembly.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. If you check the SW link to the Sequenz stands, above, they show Large (62"), Medium (55"), and Small (48") versions of the tiers (for their respective strut widths). My guess is these are intended, roughly, for 88-, 73-, and 61-key boards.

My VC-73 appears to have the Small tier (depending on where you measure), but it seems odd that the GS-73 and VC-73 would have different-sized stands when they're almost identical widths. Maybe the Korg stands are specifically customized for their instruments, and the "mass market" versions are really different. Bummer if none of those Sequenz add-on tiers will actually fit the custom VC-73 stand -- I'd really like to buy one to stack.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

In fact, it looks like a generic version of the stand is already available: Sequenz Standard M-SV stand

Though I'm not sure who "Sequenz" is, nor why it's more expensive than the Korg version: Korg Standard M-SV stand

Here's the actual Sequenz website: Sequenz Music Gear

KB Mag dropped Andy Burton's review of the Vox Continental.

As for me, I'm sold enough to trade-in my Nord Compact. Truth be told, the NS2 is too much board for my needs as a jazz combo player. For musicals and other complex "cue-based" work, my Forte shines. But for everything else I'm just a Rhodes player with a few Hammond riffs and the occasional synth solo. I like instruments with less than a half-dozen knobs (OK, the VC as ten), a dozen good presets, and no forest of controls to get lost in. In other words, a really nice, useful ROMpler. :blush:

That's what the VC is, and I think that's why it appeals to me. It's immediately useable right out of the box, I don't need a computer to manage it, the control surface is simple (that touch-based drawbar/fader panel is simply genius), and it's got a little style. (Definitely looks better on top of my Rhodes than the Nord, and I even dig the curvy stand that comes with it.)

The build seems very high-quality to me, with metal all-around, and just a little plastic on the "cheeks". OK, external power-supply is a bummer. But it "feels" bigger than the Nord (and technically it is slightly wider and deeper, with longer keys), it has a much lower profile, and is actually three pounds lighter.

So, yah, I'm feelin' all groovy with this board -- even if it doesn't have reverse-b&w keys. :2thu:

Nice review, he seems to like it a lot. One thing he said that really rings true for me is that it can be either a top or bottom board because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos. Not as well as hammer action, but quite well for a situation that isn't piano-focused. I personally don't feel that way about Nord's unweighted action.

I'm finding the touch sensors don't work so well for filter cutoff and resonance, too steppy. That's a disappointment. But the synth section is pretty basic anyway, not intended as a substitute for even a simple VA.

It's also worth emphasizing that the B3 emulation will likely not satisfy someone who is using a state of the art clone as a benchmark. I'm thinking of getting a vent to compensate.

because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos. Not as well as hammer action, but quite well for a situation that isn't piano-focused. I personally don't feel that way about Nord's unweighted action.

For me, the Nord has really varied by the board. I was not at all happy playing piano on the SW Electro 3 or Nord Stage 2 actions, but the Electro 5D seemed notably better (despite still being more highly sprung than I'd like), and people seem to thing the NS3 is good too, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The piano and epiano sounds are Korg's best, meaning they are outstanding...very light action with a buttery feel...Pianos are very playable on it

... I really gravitate towards playing the epianos on it. The feel of the keys and the finger to sound connection works really well for that.

...it can be either a top or bottom board because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos.

It's kind of interesting, the Vox is clearly presented as an "organ first" board, but really, it sounds like it might be a particularly good choice for someone looking for a lightweight piano with one of the more passable actions if you want to stay in the sub-hammer-action travel weight range. It's lighter than the Electros or VR730. If you want good quality piano/EP and decent range of auxiliary sounds, and are looking for 73+ (decent piano-feeling) keys under 20 lbs, I think this and the Numa Compact series would be what you'd look at, and this would seem likely to be the better sounding choice.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The piano and epiano sounds are Korg's best, meaning they are outstanding...very light action with a buttery feel...Pianos are very playable on it

... I really gravitate towards playing the epianos on it. The feel of the keys and the finger to sound connection works really well for that.

...it can be either a top or bottom board because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos.

It's kind of interesting, the Vox is clearly presented as an "organ first" board, but really, it sounds like it might be a particularly good choice for someone looking for a lightweight piano with one of the more passable actions if you want to stay in the sub-hammer-action travel weight range.

Having owned one for awhile, that's my take on it. It excels as a semi-weighted keyboard for pianos, and I for one value that degree of portability. My current band is a funk/soul outfit, so weighted keys for pianos are not even that useful to me right now.

Some questions for any VC owner...

Am I correct in guessing that it has seamless sound transition when switching patches, as the somewhat similar Grandstage does?

In the CX3 mode, there appears to be no way to choose deeper tweaks like key click level or leakage, or even some typical front panel settings like percussion (2nd vs 3rd, long vs. short, normal vs soft), nor specific C/V settings, correct? But there are 19 CX3 presets. Do these serve as alternate ways to get at those parameters? 19 isn't enough to cover every permutation, but 8 is enough to cover all the percussion combinations, are they all represented? Or is there some alternate way to select percussion settings that I missed? Related, are there presets with different levels of leakage or key click? It would be nice if there were a computer/iPad style editor to at least make some global adjustments, if none are available on board, i.e. for leakage and click, and maybe various rotary speaker parameters, etc.

According to the Keyboard Mag review there is no 3rd percussion, 2nd percussion only, and the volume and delay are fixed: "percussion control is limited to 2nd-harmonic on-off, vibrato is limited to Chorus-3 or nothing, and there are no Leslie parameters other than rotary speed - to say nothing of keyclick or the myriad other controllable parameters weve come to expect in a modern clonewheel organ. If those are crucial for you, best to look at a dedicated clonewheel instead."

https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/review-the-vox-continental

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

The Keyboard article may be correct, but it's not clear to me how the author knows that stuff since it's not in the manual. He may be using his own ears, or perhaps he got extra info from Korg.

To me it sounds like 19 different Hammonds are modeled, each with a distinct character. The main variables are leakage and key click level. A couple have distortion built in pre-effects. Some are very clean, these are probably the "jazz" presets. I think they all use Chorus 3. Percussion volume is varied and, though I could be wrong, I think I hear 3rd harmonic on a few of them. These parameters are fixed in each preset, there is no way to recombine them. It's interesting and fun to switch between presets but of course this is not the level of control any aficionado would want.

I am really surprised that its CX3 mode is missing so many options that even the original 1979 CX3 had (selectable 2nd/3rd percussion, adjustable percussion volume and decay, variable key click level). Which really further reinforces what I said earlier... unless you're specifically looking for the transistor organ functionality, I think it actually may function better as a lightweight "piano with other stuff" than it does as an "organ with other stuff."

But the other thing that bugs me is patch selection. There's a decent variety of sounds beyond piano/organ, with lots of tweakability (attack/decay/release, filter cutoff/resonance, LFO, effects), yet you can only save 16 patches (scenes)... beyond that you're limited to what you can call up/create in real time, which to make matters worse, typically requires scrolling through a sound category to find what you what. I was hoping there might be a way to directly access at least more of the factory sounds via MIDI, but no. The only sounds you can recall via MIDI are the 16 scenes.

It's an odd duck keyboard, for sure. It's definitely not for the player who, for instance, plays in function bands and needs to cover a lot of bases. It's also not for the Hammond aficionado. Maybe it's a dream keyboard for someone who really wants the VOX sound -- I wouldn't know.

I feel that if you take it on its own terms, you can come to appreciate it as a great keyboard that will possibly prove to be a classic. For playing jammy-funky stuff like I'm doing now, it's working out really great. I may be pairing it with a more full-fledged clone because I do yearn for the more complete Hammond experience.

There are three new videos on YT comparing the Vox Continental to an Electro 5. Very interesting.

Links?

And here is a entertaining comparison of the Vox Continental and the Roland VR730

Boy, he likes some crappy sounding transistor distortion. ;-) In fairness to the Roland, it isn't so bad if you don't turn it up so much.

From what I heard (and only on computer speakers), I preferred the Vox EPs, which is what I'd expected. I was surprised to not have much preference on the acoustic pianos (within the limited scope of his demo). Roland is the better clonewheel...even besides one's opinion about the sounds, at least the Roland gives you control over the percussion and C/V parameters (along with click, leakage, and rotary sim customization).

Interesting that he thought the Roland clearly had the better action, I haven't had the chance to play either one. Has anyone else here played both to compare?

Without hearing every additional sound (or getting my fingers on the keys), just from what I know, I think I'd have to choose the Roland (unless maybe I was particularly into the transistor organs, I don't know). I liked the VR-09 when I had one at my disposal, and the VR730 addresses two of its (related) biggest weaknesses... it has 76 keys and a better action, so its more suitable for piano playing (and splits). It still has a bunch of little gotchas, but so does the Vox. The main advantage of the Vox seems to be its lighter weight, maybe its EPs and the tube.

Here are some comparisons that come to mind...

Roland shortcoming: no way to route organ or a LH bass split to its own output

Vox: same, but worse, since it doesn't do LH bass split at all

Roland shortcoming: only 16 custom patches (registrations) recallable, have to scroll for others

Vox: same, but worse, only 16 custom patches (scenes) recallable, period.

Vox's (16) scenes can be recalled via MIDI, Roland's (100) registrations cannot. However, the 268 (+GM) sounds in the Roland can be called up via MIDI, the 150 sounds in the Vox cannot. I give this one to Roland.

Roland drawbars don't send MIDI CC, Vox touchstrips do. Point for Vox.

Roland registrations can include MIDI Program Changes, Vox scenes cannot. Point for Roland. (Though the registrations only include a single Program Change that covers the entire keyboard range. The Registrations can include split points, but they are ignored for MIDI transmission, you can't have an external MIDI sound only above or below the split.)

Vox lets you have different effects on two layered sounds, Roland does not. But Roland lets you split two sounds, Vox does not.

Roland has pitch and mod levers, Vox has pitch only.

Roland has one foot switch with a global assignment, Vox supports separate sustain and rotary toggle foot switches. (I can't believe that even with the 730 update, they still haven't at least allows you to alter the behavior of that pedal on a registration-by-registration basis. Or an option to have it be a sustain pedal unless organ is the only sound you're playing, and then make it a rotary toggle.)

SYNTH:

Roland has real-time synth parameter controls (drawbars) for attack, decay, release, cutoff, resonance.

Vox has real-time synth parameter controls (touchstrips) for attack, decay, release, cutoff, resonance, LFO (vibrato) amount and speed (somewhat makes up for lack of mod wheel?), plus two additional parameters which vary based on the particular sound.

...but Roland has access to ALL synth parameters via an iPad app.

Overall, I think the Roland wins on functionality, and probably sound. If you don't need the lightest weight, I don't see a lot of reason to choose the Vox (about 18.5 lbs for the 73) over the Roland (about 22 lbs), other than maybe transistor organs or EPs, unless you're just really into the vibe and particular ergonomics of it.

For organ/piano/EP/clav, I'd take an Electro over either one of them (though it would have to be the 6--or a Stage 3--if you want the seamless sound transitions that the Vox and Roland have). But the more you need synth or other sounds, the more the Roland or Vox could have an edge over the Electro. And price, of course, with the NE5D-73 at $2500, Vox at $2200, and the Roland looking like a bargain at $1500.

I watched that video out of curiousity since I have the Vox and VR-09B. Pretty useless video, really, but sort of keeps you tuned in just to hear what daffy comment is going to come out his mouth next. For me, his credibility as a reviewer is lost in digging on the maxed-out Roland distortion (seriously?) and in not being able to find the clavs on the Vox (it's not hard at all).

From the perspective of quality of sounds, I think the Vox is better than the Roland for everything except B3 emulation, which I think is close enough that it's a subjective choice. Also, the Roland has a much broader palette of synth and "other" sounds.

From a functionality standpoint, the Vox is very rudimentary, and this is where I think most keyboard shoppers will balk. You could say it's truly a "retro" keyboard in that sense, playing one sound at a time with almost everything literally on the surface. I personally find this very appealing, but then I'm not contemplating using it in a top 40 cover band.

For me, his credibility as a reviewer is lost in digging on the maxed-out Roland distortion (seriously?)

personal taste, but... uh huh.

and in not being able to find the clavs on the Vox (it's not hard at all).

or the transistor organ sounds on either one of them. Even when pausing the camera to take the time to look.

But he's kind of entertaining, and there was some useful info there too.

From a functionality standpoint, the Vox is very rudimentary, and this is where I think most keyboard shoppers will balk. You could say it's truly a "retro" keyboard in that sense, playing one sound at a time with almost everything literally on the surface. I personally find this very appealing

I think the VR09/730 is very similar in that respect, with the same kind of immediacy. Okay, it does give you options to split or make some other tweaks, but if all you want to do is the same stuff you can do on the Vox, I think most of those operations are about as straight-forward and direct to do on the Roland as they are on the Vox. In fact, I think the Roland can be easier to navigate, because of the display. Each board gives you quick access to 12 categories (plus organ), then you have to scroll within the category to find your sound, but one gives you names where the other gives you numbers. I mean, say you want a harpsichord. On the Roland you hit the Others button, and use the up-down controls until the display says "Harpsi." On the Vox, you activate the Keys category (which could possibly require multiple button presses), and use the up-down controls until the display says "7" which is not as obvious. (As for calling up saved settings, both give you 4 banks of 4 buttons.)

So I think patch selection specifically for playing "one sound at a time" is better on the Roland. That said, I do prefer the Vox's rotary knobs for adjusting the volumes of the sounds in different sections, compared to the Roland's up-down volume buttons, and it's nice that they put the Rhodes and Wurlis into their own categories. I'm not sure which effects section I'd prefer, it's possible I could prefer the Vox there as well.

When I looked at the Vox layout, my guess was that holding down PERC while hitting the adjacent Variation up-down would let you cycle through the eight possible 2nd/3rd, level, and decay options, and holding down VIB/CHORUS while hitting the Variation button would let you cycle through the six possible V/C options. I'm really surprised this kind of functionality is missing.

I have the Vox and VR-09B.

Ah, you're the perfect person to ask! One thing that irritates me about the NE5D is the way it handles switching "songs" (which is like switching banks of Vox Scenes and Roland Registrations, i.e. they redefine what the 4 custom patch selection buttons do). Let's say you're on Bank (Song) #1, playing one of the sounds you've selected from the four recall buttons. You're coming up on a part of the song where you're going to need a sound you've stored in Bank (Song) #2, so you hit whatever you need to hit to bring up this other 4-button set of sounds. On the Nord, the first sound of the new bank/song is then immediately automatically selected, preventing you from being able to continue playing the first sound right up until you hit the point where you need to select the actual sound you need from the second Song/Bank. How do the Vox and VR-09B handle this? I would hope that merely selecting a new Bank would not change the sound that you're playing, but rather you'd have to then hit one of the four Registration/Scene select buttons in order to invoke a new sound.

(This is doubly irritating on the Nord since, not only can't you keep playing a sound until the moment you're ready for the next one if it's in a different song/bank, but also without seamless sound transition/patch remain, you can't even *hold* an existing sound while navigating to the next one, it will cut out as soon as you move to the new bank/song. At least that much should be fixed in the E6. Other than that, the way around it is probably to switch sounds via MIDI Program Change rather than by navigating on the board itself.)

The Keyboard article may be correct, but it's not clear to me how the author knows that stuff since it's not in the manual. He may be using his own ears, or perhaps he got extra info from Korg.

To me it sounds like 19 different Hammonds are modeled, each with a distinct character. The main variables are leakage and key click level. A couple have distortion built in pre-effects. Some are very clean, these are probably the "jazz" presets. I think they all use Chorus 3. Percussion volume is varied and, though I could be wrong, I think I hear 3rd harmonic on a few of them. These parameters are fixed in each preset, there is no way to recombine them. It's interesting and fun to switch between presets but of course this is not the level of control any aficionado would want.

I'm not sure what you mean by 19 Hammonds modeled, but it is all voicing based on the existing CX3 engine's parameters, same as it is on a Kronos. There are not different vintages of Hammonds modeled, nor are there different tonewheel sets as on some other brands. It's all "voicing". Hope this helps.

Jerry

I hear different levels of leakage and key click in the 19 presets. In the world of real Hammonds, that would mean 19 different ones, but in the Kronos CX3 it's achieved by adjusting parameters of the CX3 engine.

Scott, the Vox works the same way as the Electro for changing banks and slots.

Scott, the Vox works the same way as the Electro for changing banks and slots.

Bummer. What about the VR-09B/730?

I was thinking about how, for a lot of my gigs, I have a basic set of 24 sounds that covers me for almost everything. So if a board like the Vox (or Roland) gives me quick access to 16 through Scenes (Registrations), plus gives me quick direct panel access to some others (i.e. they both give you easy on button access to piano, so there's no need to use up a scene/registration for that), maybe that's "close enough" to not be too painful, requiring only minimal scrolling for the last few, less frequently used of the 24. But for this to work smoothly, you need to be able to switch quickly and easily among the 16 Scenes/Registrations, and as I discovered on the Nord, if you can't keep playing sound X while you get ready to invoke sound Y, you can run into problems. Ideally, of course, there would be 16 buttons for the 16 sounds you want most available (something you have on numerous other boards, including ones from Korg, Kurzweil, and Yamaha), but I was thinking that 4 banks of 4 would be okay if switching could still be done smoothly from any one to any other at any time.

I assume seamless sound transition on the Vox at least allows you hold (although not play) a sound in one bank, while navigating to a sound in another bank?

I think the Roland should be able to do that too, but I'm not sure their patch remain works with all sounds, I seem to remember maybe it would glitch switching to (or from?) organ sounds...?

I hear different levels of leakage and key click in the 19 presets. In the world of real Hammonds, that would mean 19 different ones, but in the Kronos CX3 it's achieved by adjusting parameters of the CX3 engine.

Spot on, I just wanted to be sure you were understanding what was going on "under the hood". Plenty variety can be achieved with the parameters, as you are hearing.

In comparing with VR-09/730, I said "the 268 (+GM) sounds in the Roland can be called up via MIDI" -- but I should qualify that by saying that it's not the most straight-forward implementation, info at

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2890672/Re_Roland_V_Combo_VR_09#Post2890672

-- and also that doesn't include the GM sounds, which I don't think can be played from the keyboard unless you're connected to a computer, as shown at

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was my first Sunday worship with the NS2 Compact swapped out for the Vox Continental. Seamless transition, and it actually fits better in my repurposed Hammond cabinet than the Nord did -- it's more than an inch less thick, so much more room to get my hands in to tweak the controls.

Just really enjoy playing this board. :thu:

it looks to me like you have to stick with whatever works with the bottom strut assembly.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. If you check the SW link to the Sequenz stands, above, they show Large (62"), Medium (55"), and Small (48") versions of the tiers (for their respective strut widths). My guess is these are intended, roughly, for 88-, 73-, and 61-key boards.

Bummer if none of those Sequenz add-on tiers will actually fit the custom VC-73 stand -- I'd really like to buy one to stack.

Sweetwater confirms that the Sequenz stands and add-on tiers are in fact the same sizes as the ones shipped with the Grandstage and the Vox Continental, although the Korg-included accessories have some incidental branding (color, logos, etc.)

The stand provided with the VC-73 is the "Standard Medium", and the "Medium" tiers will indeed fit onto it. Likewise with the "Large" and "Small" stands/tiers provided with the GS-88 and VC-61, respectively.

I have a Medium add-on tier arriving tomorrow; will report back...