Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

I think this deserves a proper topic, not only the NAMM thread, as I guess that there are many forumites interested on it. :)

So far, nothing more about it besides the video on Studiologic page:

https://www.facebook.com/StudiologicMusic/videos/1748548878499338/

And a few YT where nothing is shown properly:

Anyone found anything else? Hope to hear more about it soon.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Hi Spider76... on the NAMM thread where this keyboard was first mentioned, of course that the official product page was brought up. I'm not dumb at the point to not going to the official site or googling it and relying on facebook and youtube alone.

But as you can see, there's NOTHING there besides text, specs and pictures there... the links that I posted here refer to videos where we can see and hear the board (even badly, as there are those). What I'm after (and the people that are REALLY interested on this keyboard too, dont know if that's your case) are real and relevant news/videos/sounds about it, such as how close to the NUMA organ 2 it is on the organ section, and things like that.

Uhm...maybe the official product page?

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2x/

Have we already got to the point were FB and YT are considered the only relevant sources?

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snarky, but maybe if there are no news, no videos, no reviews, no manual or documents on the official product page...it's simply because there's nothing to say, as the board hasn't been released. It was just announced and showed at NAMM, but it's quite clear it's not on the market yet.

I'm sure in a few weeks we'll have all info we need (I'm also interested in it).

In the meantime, all we can do is wait.

Sorry again for my blunt reply, didn't mean no offence!

No worries, all good man. I know it's hard to express the tone properly on written words, for me it's even more as english is not my first language. As for the Compact 2x, just wanted to open a proper topic for when the real news come or for any "insider" type information, for eg, people that played it on NAMM. Let's hope it stands for our expectations!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snarky, but maybe if there are no news, no videos, no reviews, no manual or documents on the official product page...it's simply because there's nothing to say, as the board hasn't been released. It was just announced and showed at NAMM, but it's quite clear it's not on the market yet.

I'm sure in a few weeks we'll have all info we need (I'm also interested in it).

In the meantime, all we can do is wait.

Sorry again for my blunt reply, didn't mean no offence!

Nobody mentioned price , so I went to the Kraft music site.

This thing is going to price at $699.00.

That's interesting. I am trying to weed through some of the comments from people who played it at NAMM. Is the organ anything like the Numa 2? Because in my perhaps not so humble opinion, the Numa 2 organ that I played sounded pretty decent.

This being a Fatar product, I would hope for a decent keybed.

This could be interesting but where I live ( near Portland Oregon) we never see anything besides what GC carries. So I am not sure if I am going to be able to hear it anytime soon.

Is the organ anything like the Numa 2? Because in my perhaps not so humble opinion, the Numa 2 organ that I played sounded pretty decent.

The terminology can be a little confusing because there's no such thing as a "Numa 2" -- there's a "Numa Organ 2" and a "Numa Compact 2" (which also does have some organ sounds). Anyway, Studiologic says the Numa Compact 2X includes "a tone wheel organ model derived from Numa Organ" which I suppose could mean either the original Numa Organ or the Numa Organ 2 (which is the current Numa Organ). Regardless, we don't yet know what will be lost in the "derived from" translation. From what little I've heard, I suspect the rotary effect is probably the same as or similar to what's on the Numa Compact 2, and not as good as what's on the Numa Organ 2 (or original Numa Organ). It presumably won't have all the different organ models of the Numa Organ 2. Drive, key click, and overdrive (which all have dedicated controls on both versions of the Numa Organ) are other areas where they could differ.

I'm assuming it will be the same as the Numa Compact 2, which I think is quite good... pretty playable for piano (as semi-weighted actions go) as well as organ.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Something tells me this thread is going to give the VR09 thread a run for its money.

I'm mildly interested in this keyboard, as I am any lightweight multi-purpose board with a decent organ sound.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Is the organ anything like the Numa 2? Because in my perhaps not so humble opinion, the Numa 2 organ that I played sounded pretty decent.

The terminology can be a little confusing because there's no such thing as a "Numa 2" -- there's a "Numa Organ 2" and a "Numa Compact 2" (which also does have some organ sounds). Anyway, Studiologic says the Numa Compact 2X includes "a tone wheel organ model derived from Numa Organ" which I suppose could mean either the original Numa Organ or the Numa Organ 2 (which is the current Numa Organ). Regardless, we don't yet know what will be lost in the "derived from" translation. From what little I've heard, I suspect the rotary effect is probably the same as or similar to what's on the Numa Compact 2, and not as good as what's on the Numa Organ 2 (or original Numa Organ). It presumably won't have all the different organ models of the Numa Organ 2. Drive, key click, and overdrive (which all have dedicated controls on both versions of the Numa Organ) are other areas where they could differ.

I'm assuming it will be the same as the Numa Compact 2, which I think is quite good... pretty playable for piano (as semi-weighted actions go) as well as organ.

TP/9

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Unless I hear of a major flaw before release date, Im buying one. Cant beat 15 pounds and change.

The friendly retailer has an expected shipping date of May. Im hoping for March.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

TP/9

I'm not familiar with this action. Looking at the Fatar site it's a non hammer action with what looks like some weights in front.

What other boards use this action and how does it feel?

It's a "premium" high-quality synth action. Kurz use it in the 61-note PC3 range (not the LE), and I think it's in the Korg Kronos as well as the Novation SL61II controller . I like it for a non-hammer action, but it's an unusual choice to base an 88-note stage piano on it. 76 maybe...

Cheers, Mike.

How much of the Numa Organ engine is inside the C2x is the main thing for me. To make it "fit", I hope that they sacrificed more of the adjustable/customizable things and less on sound, including rotary. The way I see, they are after a slice of the VR-09/730 market, with pros and cons and some unique things like the 88 keys vs 61 or 73.

Wow, that tiny chassis. Gives me no hope that the key bed will be anything but craptastic.

The NumaCompact 2 action is nice... as I mentioned, even above average for playing piano (as non-hammer actions go)... I certainly like it better than the low-cost models from Korg or Roland.

It's a "premium" high-quality synth action. Kurz use it in the 61-note PC3 range (not the LE), and I think it's in the Korg Kronos as well as the Novation SL61II controller .
he TP9P is not identical to the TP9 in the Kurz/Novation, it is better suited than those are for piano playing. Kronos 61 does not use Fatar.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My first impression of the Compact 2's action was "spongy". I like having aftertouch so have learned to deal with it. Second thing I noticed was the velocity was quite touchy. It is adjustable with three settings, but ended up getting used to the default. After several months of use, I've come to really like playing the thing and really like controlling software apps with it. Got to make sure the aftertouch is turned off for piano and EP patches.

Yeah, aftertouch is something I want it on by un/semi-weighted boards, but don't care to have on my hammer actions... but you have this hybrid situation where your un/semi-weighted board is the one you'll be playing piano from, so then do you want AT or not? If you don't need the 2's additional features (like the aftertouch, split functions, speakers), the original Numa Compact had the same action without aftertouch, and also had an advantage in that you could get to either a Rhodes or a Wurli with a single button press. That said, I have not found the AT to be an impediment on the Numa Compact 2.

Something tells me this thread is going to give the VR09 thread a run for its money.

I'm mildly interested in this keyboard, as I am any lightweight multi-purpose board with a decent organ sound.

Based upon my experience playing this board at NAMM, it should definitely be considered a useful multi-purpose keyboard. I found the action a little light, but all of it's sounds were very playable, and the quality of the sound thru headphones was surprisingly good, especially the drawbar organ. I feel that it will both compliment & overlap my current boards quite well, particularly my Motif ES.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Im mainly interested in this as a light controller, so the sounds are just gravy for me. Im hoping the organ and AP/EP are passable. The action is #1 for me.

Can you tell a little bit more about the drawbar organ? What about the overdrive and rotary sim?

Based upon my experience playing this board at NAMM, it should definitely be considered a useful multi-purpose keyboard. I found the action a little light, but all of it's sounds were very playable, and the quality of the sound thru headphones was surprisingly good, especially the drawbar organ. I feel that it will both compliment & overlap my current boards quite well, particularly my Motif ES.

Yes, I listened. With vocals above it and ambient noise surrounding, it's VERY hard to discern what's going on there. Why Studiologic didn't put something better yet is beyond my comprehension. Hope it's soon.

Can you tell a little bit more about the drawbar organ? What about the overdrive and rotary sim?

First, I never found the overdrive control or other FX while I was there, so I can't comment on those at all (very small screen with some menu-diving required). One of the real-time stick controls did alter the leslie sim speeds when the organ was selected. Finally, headphone quality varied considerably from booth to booth, although the ones provided by Studiologic were generally "on par". Thru headphones, the raw organ tone was very good to my ears, percussion was plunky & C/V was decent in the context of a loud exhibition hall.

I think I need to add some perspective to the YouTube video of the NumaCompact2x being played behind the singer with the yellow dress. I actually happened to be there right when that was recorded, and whoever actually posted it probably did StudioLogic an unintentional injustice, as that was an impromptu performance (they did things like that in many of the other booths, especially on Saturday). I think it best not to be too judgemental out of context. I recorded a version of this on my phone as well, albeit from a different angle. Someone went and grabbed ONE powered speaker from a different vendor to put on this 10 minute presentation, so the vocalist's mic, keyboard (and the leslie sim) was NOT being run in stereo for this demo. The Italian gentleman actually playing the NumaCompact2X was from StudioLogic, I believe and he walked me thru the interface a bit after the demo performance. It is not that intuitive, so I was grateful for the explanations that he provided. I was able to run thru all of the loaded sounds after his tutorial. The interesting thing is that it has 1 Gb of flash memory for those extra voices so they can apparently be easily upgraded down the road. Since the unit is not yet in production I do not have a clue as to when that aspect will be implemented. I am anxiously awaiting the manual next, just like you. I am particularly excited about the audio over USB functionality, as it means that using it in conjunction with an iPad app could enhance & overcome any limitations of the built-in soundset. The drawbars also transmit MIDI CC.

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

First, I never found the overdrive control or other FX while I was there, so I can't comment on those at all (very small screen with some menu-diving required).

FYI, the FX are on the front panel, and don't require menu-diving. (I know NAMM can be over-whelming!)

csm_Studiologic_Numa_Compact_2_019FIN_a39197d610.jpg

One thing I hope it's possible: considering that each "side" or "layer" accepts two effects, if you make a layer of the same sound, let's say, a Rhodes, you can have for example, Drive, Chorus, Pan Trem and Delay ate the same, if you want to. Not bad for 699 bucks, and the sounds are not too shabby if they're the same as the "old" Compact 2 (guess they are).

First, I never found the overdrive control or other FX while I was there, so I can't comment on those at all (very small screen with some menu-diving required).

FYI, the FX are on the front panel, and don't require menu-diving. (I know NAMM can be over-whelming!)

FYI, only the FX selector buttons are on the front panel. Remember that the NumaCompact2X has three sound engines, and what was not working for me initially was selecting a particular voice & engine and then applying a particular parameter or effect to the voice in question, especially in split and/or layer mode. That process is controlled by their combination rotary/pushbutton encoder Mixer control, which, when combined with their 128x64 OLED display actually shows you what voice you have selected & are manipulating at the time. This display is tiny, and despite numerous visits to the booth I often found myself manipulating the wrong parameter and not being able to properly select or hear what I actually wanted to hear. Fortunately, I was able to get a brief tutorial of the proper operational order of how to select voices & apply parameters after their impromptu demo performance concluded.

FYI, only the FX selector buttons are on the front panel.

Yes the buttons to select the effects are there, but from the same panel location, you can also dial in the amount of the effect to apply to the Upper sound, and also the amount of the effect to dial in to the Lower sound. In fact, on the Numa Compact 2, that's pretty much the entirety of what you can do with those effects, maybe there's more in menus on the 2X? But based on the design, the operation looks to be basically the same. At least on the 2, the way it works is that you can select two sounds (Upper, Lower); you can layer or split them (they're considered Upper and Lower regardless), and you can apply two effects to Upper and two effects to Lower, directly from that panel. (Plus reverb.)