Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2909317 - 02/13/18 12:06 PM I Forgot to Breath
BbAltered Offline
Gold Member

When I am playing the keys and concentrating very hard, I tend to hold my breath. So last nite, I am practicing minor 6-2-5-1's in different keys, and I notice I am holding my breath. Or if I am playing a difficult passage in a composed piece of music, or if am playing a keyboard solo with the soul band, I notice I am holding my breath.

This is uncomfortable, and I think my playing is uneven when I do this. I think I do this because I am tensing up and am not relaxed enough physically in too many playing situations.

Any suggestions? Any suggestions on keeping myself relaxed while playing and eliminating muscle tension in my body when I play?
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life
Weather Report Mr. Gone

KC Island
#2909319 - 02/13/18 12:10 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: BbAltered]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Concentrate on breathing? Specifically shed playing individual phrases with breaths in between.

#2909320 - 02/13/18 12:15 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: BbAltered]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Seems to me this is a pretty big question that could go much wider than your practice regimen - is it accurate that this may be connected to the flying 5 thread you posted before?

My suggestions might include:

1) deliberately take passages significantly slower, in order to make relaxation, steady breathing and tension release the focus whilst still executing without playing errors.

2) only increase tempo veeerrry gradually over time, and even then only 2 ticks on the 'nome at a time.

3) consider if posture or other contributing factors result in unnecessary tension elsewhere in your body.

4) consider if stress or other contributing factors are imposing tension upon you even apart from the keyboard.

5) if you do a fair bit of ensemble gigging, focus on feeling the 8 and 16 to mentally embrace the larger time feel.

Hope some of this helps.

Tim

#2909325 - 02/13/18 12:39 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: timwat]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
First, and apologies for this, the word is breathe. With an e at the end. wink

Okay, now that my OCD is addressed, if you don't have a vocal mic when you play with the band, hum or sing the vocals quietly while you play.

When you're soloing, hum your solo. The benefit to this will be more musical and conversational solo passages, as opposed to just an unending flurry of notes. When you run out of air, stop playing, inhale, and play your next passage.

Also, you might want to check out the meditations found in Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. They went a long way to helping me shed some of the tension when I play, especially in new musical surroundings, or with more complex pieces.

Good luck!

#2909328 - 02/13/18 01:01 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: Sven Golly]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I sing the rhythm of my phrases quietly when I play, as do many jazz players like Jarrett, Errol Garner, Monty Alexander... and I find even that is a huge burden on good breathing. On long gigs I get light headed and fatigued. It sure is fun though, ití a kin to tapping the left heel, also like the majority of the greats do. It connects you in the moment. It has pluses and minuses (not enough O2, too much CO2).

#2909331 - 02/13/18 01:13 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: Jazz+]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Remedies... so I remind myself to breathe. I allow myself to sing a few bars as I play and then I take a long slow inhale and exhale to make sure I am getting enough O2, I imagine I am still singing and I can hear my rhythmic phrasing in my head accompanied by the sound of measured and generous and steady breathing . Then I allow myself to sing a bit then back to real breathing, etc...
By the way, My left heal tapping never gets tired and is in sync with my left can engine. My right hand is totally independent if my left side. I play a lot of solo piano jazz and organ.

#2909345 - 02/13/18 01:50 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: timwat]
BbAltered Offline
Gold Member

Very perceptive, Tim. Yes, as I see it, the breathing issue is related to my previous thread about my "flying" 5th finger. I think I tense up (physically and mentally) while playing. That tension is expressed in a couple of different ways: holding my breath, the extension or "flying" of my R 5th finger, and also my tendency to curl the toes in my L foot (I'm not kidding - I will finish a gig and notice that I have a cramp in my L foot from curling my toes so much).

I think these are all manifestations of the tension I experience in my body and mind as I play.

And it is not just about tempo. As I am practice my minor 6-2-5-1's in different keys, I am going very slowly to make sure I get the voicings correct in the various keys, and yet there I am holding my breath.

I appreciate your first suggestion: it seems that ALL my practice should be about being relaxed and releasing tension. When I play Hanon's or scales/arpeggios, I focus on going slowly and being relaxed and don't worry about being fast.

Of course, doing gigs there are lots of opportunities for me to tense up (physically and mentally).

Originally Posted By: timwat
is it accurate that this may be connected to the flying 5 thread you posted before?

Tim
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2909347 - 02/13/18 01:56 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: Sven Golly]
BbAltered Offline
Gold Member

Quite right, my bad. Breath is the noun, breathe is the verb. So the title should read: I Forgot to Breathe.

When I am at home and practicing , I sing/hum my melody line out loud. And because singing/humming requires lots of breathing out, I noticed that I would quickly get out of breath.

I will check out Effortless Mastery. As I get older and play more, I am realizing there is a zen to playing music: one must create a force, but without effort.

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
First, and apologies for this, the word is breathe. With an e at the end. wink

When you're soloing, hum your solo. The benefit to this will be more musical and conversational solo passages, as opposed to just an unending flurry of notes. When you run out of air, stop playing, inhale, and play your next passage.

Also, you might want to check out the meditations found in Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner. They went a long way to helping me shed some of the tension when I play, especially in new musical surroundings, or with more complex pieces.

Good luck!
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2909348 - 02/13/18 01:58 PM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: Jazz+]
BbAltered Offline
Gold Member

I also sing/hum my improv exercises. And yes, I end up feeling out of breath and fatiqued - like I am constantly holding my breath.

Originally Posted By: Jazz+
I sing the rhythm of my phrases quietly when I play, as do many jazz players like Jarrett, Errol Garner, Monty Alexander... and I find even that is a huge burden on good breathing. On long gigs I get light headed and fatigued. It sure is fun though, ití a kin to tapping the left heel, also like the majority of the greats do. It connects you in the moment. It has pluses and minuses (not enough O2, too much CO2).
Charlie Parker Omnibook
Weather Report Mr. Gone

#2909449 - 02/14/18 05:18 AM Re: I Forgot to Breath [Re: BbAltered]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Maybe put some breath marks in your part, like a wind player.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner