Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2909065 - 02/12/18 02:10 PM Step up from Logitech PC speakers
konaboy Offline
Gold Member

I've been using a 2.1 PC speaker system for computer multimedia, playing synths and monitoring for many years. One of these:

I like the convenience. My m-audio 2496 PCI soundcard lineout is connected to the logitech input. There is a volume control on the front of the right satellite speaker and a headphone output. Perfect, because my soundcard doesn't have headphone out.

Very important, the small sats take minimum space on my desk, and I can hide away the sub. Oh, and it sounds fabulous, or used to...

But the left sat is making a distorted sound, time to upgrade. But to what? I need some guidance.

Obvious option is active studio monitors. But to get similar bass as the logitech sub i'd need big ones. Not much desk space for that. Two power cords (no biggie). But I lose the headphone output. So I'd need to add a mixing desk between soundcard and monitors. More complicated and space consuming! I haven't yet discovered any 2.1 studio monitors with the convenience and features of pc speakers.

Hi-fi is another option I'm thinking about. Connect soundcard to hi-fi amplifier. Connect passive speakers and even a sub if I need it. Yay, a good headphone output decent sound for multimedia, synths and audio production. I can't think of a disadvantage other than cost.

Or just buy a better PC 2.1 system? What's out there? Can't buy Klipsch in my country, before you suggest it.

Hope someone can offer advice. cheers.

KC Island
#2909069 - 02/12/18 02:16 PM Re: Step up from Logitech PC speakers [Re: konaboy]
konaboy Offline
Gold Member

Here's my studio space, not a ton of room for large speakers.

#2909125 - 02/12/18 06:06 PM Re: Step up from Logitech PC speakers [Re: konaboy]
elseif Offline

I use passive monitors and a 50W/channel amp with an automatic shutoff. Neither items are particularly stunning examples, and are obsolete: Alesis Monitor One Mk2 and an AudioSource AMP100. I have no need for a sub.

#2909126 - 02/12/18 06:11 PM Re: Step up from Logitech PC speakers [Re: konaboy]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: konaboy

Or just buy a better PC 2.1 system? What's out there? Can't buy Klipsch in my country, before you suggest it.

Hope someone can offer advice. cheers.

hey Woody -

have you seen these?

Blue Sky eXo2 Stereo System 3" Powered 2.1 Monitor System with Subwoofer

seems like exactly what you want based on your OP

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2909131 - 02/12/18 06:40 PM Re: Step up from Logitech PC speakers [Re: davedoerfler]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
I use Mackie CR3 multimedia monitors at my computer desk. I think they’re a step up from the standard computer type speakers.

#2909321 - 02/13/18 12:21 PM Re: Step up from Logitech PC speakers [Re: Rusty Mike]
konaboy Offline
Gold Member

Thanks you all. The BlueSky looks great, i will check availability in my area.
Otherwise the Mackie CR3, and CR4 look ideal, if they go deep enough so that I can skip the sub.

An alternative that gets good reviews is the presonus eris e4.5, similar spec and features.

The mackie and presonus are easier on the wallet and available locally. I'm sure both would be better for monitoring than the logi, but lacking the deep bass. I'll let you know what I decide on and how it works out.

#2909324 - 02/13/18 12:33 PM Re: Step up from Logitech PC speakers [Re: konaboy]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I'd commend the Equator Audio D5s to you to compare to the e4.5s.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner