Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2908840 - 02/11/18 08:18 PM Studio MIDI computer RIP
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
My MIDI computer, which faithfully ran WFW311 since 1994, has finally given up the ghost. I had a feeling its days were numbered.

Time to replace it with a Mac machine.

I already have a Mac Pro (2012 model) in my office and a MBP (bought in 2016). I'd rather keep the MP tied to the office.

Strangely enough, I bought a MOTU MicroExpress last year to explore using it with the MBP for gigs. Now that may change. I had been using a MusicQuest MQX32M that worked flawlessly with no latency, and hopefully the MOTU will perform as well in its place.

If I used the MBP would the monitor be a limitation? Or would I be better off buying an iMac?

Yes I archived the Cakewalk files. Will Logic import them? They are old Cakewalk Pro Audio 3.5 files.

KC Island
#2908862 - 02/12/18 03:28 AM Re: Studio MIDI computer RIP [Re: The Real MC]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
... Yes I archived the Cakewalk files. Will Logic import them? They are old Cakewalk Pro Audio 3.5 files.

I seriously doubt anything other than CW can open a CW file. You could look into loading a later version of Sonar (if you can get one!) onto something. From there you could load any old files & export both OMF & Standard MIDI files. That's the best way I can think to get stuff into Logic, although you'll have to rebuild your mixes.

#2909002 - 02/12/18 11:11 AM Re: Studio MIDI computer RIP [Re: mcgoo]
dougb415 Offline

Loc: Summertown TN
You’ll be much better served with the bigger screen on the iMac. I have the 27” version and love it.

Edited by dougb415 (02/12/18 11:11 AM)

#2909019 - 02/12/18 12:15 PM Re: Studio MIDI computer RIP [Re: dougb415]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: dougb415
You’ll be much better served with the bigger screen on the iMac. I have the 27” version and love it.

Why not just get an external DisplayPort or HDMI monitor or TV? Best of both worlds; portability when needed, and you can use a 72" HDMI TV if you want. wink

#2909159 - 02/12/18 08:52 PM Re: Studio MIDI computer RIP [Re: Sven Golly]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As for sequencer software, it's a toss-up between Cubase or Logic.

I downloaded PDF manuals of Cubase to review features I am looking for.

Apple is so stupid that they don't supply PDFs of their manuals. I want to review these things OFFLINE - I do NOT want to read them on a tiny iPad or iPod eBook viewer because it will strain my eyesight.

#2909298 - 02/13/18 11:12 AM Re: Studio MIDI computer RIP [Re: The Real MC]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Apple is so stupid that they don't supply PDFs of their manuals. I want to review these things OFFLINE - I do NOT want to read them on a tiny iPad or iPod eBook viewer because it will strain my eyesight.
That's interesting. I know they had PDFs available of Logic Pro X around 10.1 or so because I had them. Since I started using the iBooks version when that came out, I stopped paying attention to the availability of the PDF.

I have an iPad and it's great on that format.

#2909420 - 02/13/18 09:38 PM Re: Studio MIDI computer RIP [Re: Joe Muscara]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ordered the new iMac, the store didn't have my requested configuration and it has to be built. I specified 3.0Ghz cpu with 16GB of RAM with 1TB Fusion drive. Should have it in a week.

I'm ordering Cubase Pro. I need a sequence that slaves to my digital recorder over MTC, and Logic does not offer that (it always operates as master).

Yes I know I could had ordered the iMac online. I had to go to the store anyway to get my MBP fixed.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner