Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2908753 - 02/11/18 12:57 PM OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Well.... not exactly. wink

The story is striking. A 26 year old couple:

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Coup...#photo-15058591

MADEIRA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — A couple who abandoned their workaday lives to buy a sailboat for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure instead lost almost everything when it sank on day two of their journey off Florida.
News outlets report that Tanner Broadwell, Nikki Walsh and their pet pug escaped injury when the 28-foot boat hit something and capsized Wednesday in the Gulf of Mexico near Madeira Beach. But the couple says just about everything else on the boat floated away.

"How do I have everything," Walsh told the Tampa Bay Times, "and end up in a s----- hotel with nothing?"

KC Island
#2908755 - 02/11/18 01:24 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GregC]
OB Dave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
Failure to plan is a plan for failure.

#2908761 - 02/11/18 01:48 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: OB Dave]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: OB Dave
Failure to plan is a plan for failure.

"I'm not going to give up now," Broadwell told the Tampa Bay Times. "I'm going to get another boat "

denial can be deadly, too.

I feel sorry for the pug ( their dog).

#2908762 - 02/11/18 01:54 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GregC]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
I’d get sick of living on a 28 foot boat with one person and one dog in the middle of water/nowhere in about 3 days. And thats if I really liked the dog.

#2908765 - 02/11/18 02:10 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: MotiDave]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MotiDave
I’d get sick of living on a 28 foot boat with one person and one dog in the middle of water/nowhere in about 3 days. And thats if I really liked the dog.

you are tougher than I am.

After 1 day, a bad sun burn, no good fishing, no cappuccino , and no shower and the wife saying " divorce', I would sail ( assuming I knew WTF I was) back to land.

Or maybe this story is a publicity stunt for the reincarnation of " Dexter "

#2908767 - 02/11/18 02:14 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: MotiDave]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
A few sailing lessons prior to setting out would have been helpful...

#2908776 - 02/11/18 02:39 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: Marzzz]
scottasin Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Fort Collins CO
I've got a couple aunts and uncles who have done this with great success. Its something I would love to do at some point in my life as well, but obviously its not something to be taken lightly. These folks clearly had no clue what they were doing. Honestly, they're probably lucky they never made it to open water, things could have gone so much worse for them.

#2908781 - 02/11/18 03:05 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: scottasin]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Actually, I was okay with their plan until the story said they had "no sailing experience." At that point I started thinking they might be are candidates for the Darwin Awards.

Grey

#2908785 - 02/11/18 03:27 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GRollins]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: GRollins
Actually, I was okay with their plan until the story said they had "no sailing experience." At that point I started thinking they might be are candidates for the Darwin Awards.

Heh.

There is an entire industry dedicated to solving his type of problem. I wonder if he had heard of it?

#2908786 - 02/11/18 03:27 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GRollins]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas

Grey

and no insurance!!! ugh... facepalm

#2908790 - 02/11/18 03:52 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: EscapeRocks]
mate stubb Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I have a guitar player buddy who recently retired from his day job, sold his house, and bought an ocean going sail boat. I worry about him and his wife.

So far they are sailing the Caribbean mostly, but have talked about the proverbial around the world trip. At least they have sailing experience, but still...

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2908791 - 02/11/18 03:53 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: scottasin]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: scottasin
I've got a couple aunts and uncles who have done this with great success. Its something I would love to do at some point in my life as well, but obviously its not something to be taken lightly. These folks clearly had no clue what they were doing. Honestly, they're probably lucky they never made it to open water, things could have gone so much worse for them.

2 days into their grand voyage and they still hadn’t made it out of the channel ... im suspecting they were never really going to get very far roll

Edited by MotiDave (02/11/18 03:53 PM)

#2908794 - 02/11/18 04:16 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GRollins]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Grey

I thought the story was Darwinesque, too

I am amused by the wife's comment:

"How do I have everything," Walsh told the Tampa Bay Times, "and end up in a s----- hotel with nothing?"

Seems like she need help with an answer. and to afford a better hotel. wink

#2908798 - 02/11/18 04:27 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: mate stubb]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
I have a guitar player buddy who recently retired from his day job, sold his house, and bought an ocean going sail boat. I worry about him and his wife.

So far they are sailing the Caribbean mostly, but have talked about the proverbial around the world trip. At least they have sailing experience, but still...

I hope they are ok. Caribbean has a few hurricanes.

You last heard from them,,,,,,,,

#2908801 - 02/11/18 04:35 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GregC]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
A bit more info on that area. My dad lives in Bellaire, FL (Clearwater).
He keeps his boat there.

Where this couple entered the gulf is just north. I have been on the water in that area many times.

The John's Pass area where they struck something must be navigated properly and you MUST have current info on the big sand bars that jut out from East to West near the inlet bridge, when traveling south in the gulf.

Being unfamiliar with the area, as well as thinking the channel markers were out of position shows they had no situational awareness.

It would have been better for them to get out into deeper waters... but then they'd be in some of the shipping lanes.

I grew up on boats and did all the Coast Guard safety certs, and this trip they planned was doomed from the start.
Taking on a long distance trip like this with no experience is almost akin to me sending out a private pilot student for his long cross country before he solos, learns navigation, and learns to land.

#2908803 - 02/11/18 05:02 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: EscapeRocks]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
A bit more info on that area. My dad lives in Bellaire, FL (Clearwater).
He keeps his boat there.

Where this couple entered the gulf is just north. I have been on the water in that area many times.

The John's Pass area where they struck something must be navigated properly and you MUST have current info on the big sand bars that jut out from East to West near the inlet bridge, when traveling south in the gulf.

I know Clearwater. My Mom lived in Port Richey for some years. I don't know the Gulf as well. Small world, though.

#2908805 - 02/11/18 05:10 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GRollins]
newkeys Online   content

Loc: San Francisco
Actually, I was okay with their plan until the story said they had "no sailing experience."

Kind of reminds me of young adults taking out student loans to get a degree at Berklee or Full Sail, as a passport to a “fulfilling music career.”

#2908807 - 02/11/18 05:20 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: newkeys]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: newkeys
Actually, I was okay with their plan until the story said they had "no sailing experience."

Kind of reminds me of young adults taking out student loans to get a degree at Berklee or Full Sail, as a passport to a “fulfilling music career.”

-to a “fulfilling and rewarding music career.” smile

#2908819 - 02/11/18 06:12 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GregC]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
They are very fortunate that the accident happened so soon. If they made it out to the open sea there would be a very different news story here...

#2908833 - 02/11/18 07:09 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: #%$(#]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: #%$(#
They are very fortunate that the accident happened so soon. If they made it out to the open sea there would be a very different news story here...

Seeing the country in a Winnebago seems like a better idea.

Not as Facebook selfie reality TV Look at Me sailing away, however.

#2908842 - 02/11/18 09:02 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: GregC]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Same story different article: http://www.ajc.com/news/couple-sells-everything-for-sailboat-sinks-day/Z3v7HaZ0uFYXvBKMyEFWTM/

They only paid $5k for the boat and only spent another $5k fixing it. There's no mention of insurance.

It's not like they sold a million dollar house and bought a super nice yacht or something.

Edited by Iconoclast (02/11/18 09:07 PM)

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2908843 - 02/11/18 09:10 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: Iconoclast]
scottasin Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Fort Collins CO
$5000 for a useable boat, while on the low end, is actually somewhat realistic. People will get rid of good boats for very cheap because marina fees and maintenance costs can very quickly overtake the value of the boat itself. Buying a boat isn't the expensive part, owning it is.

#2908845 - 02/11/18 09:18 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: Iconoclast]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Iconoclast
Same story different article: http://www.ajc.com/news/couple-sells-everything-for-sailboat-sinks-day/Z3v7HaZ0uFYXvBKMyEFWTM/

They only paid $5k for the boat and only spent another $5k fixing it. There's no mention of insurance.

It's not like they sold a million dollar house and bought a super nice yacht or something.

yes, sinking a million dollar yacht would have been a spicier story. There is hope they can up their game via their go fund me page:

"Even with no savings and no place to live, the couple said they're not giving up on sailing again one day."

I still feel sorry for the pug. and sinking the first boat has to be good experience for the next boat.

What possibly could go wrong ?

Edited by GregC (02/11/18 09:22 PM)

#2908846 - 02/11/18 10:10 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: scottasin]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Buying a boat isn't the expensive part, owning it is.

I grew up on the South Shore of Long Island, and have a lot of sailing experience.

Sailing: It is like standing in a cold shower, tearing up $100 bills...

#2908847 - 02/11/18 10:11 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: Iconoclast]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Iconoclast

I think you're missing the big picture here. They could have died.

#2908859 - 02/12/18 01:55 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: scottasin]
Donsta Offline

I inherited a houseboat that was nice but didn't have the means or the time to enjoy it. I ended up selling it for less than half of what I was told it was worth. So I'd say that if you want a boat spend some time looking around. If you want to save a lot of money don't buy a boat.

$5000 for a useable boat, while on the low end, is actually somewhat realistic. People will get rid of good boats for very cheap because marina fees and maintenance costs can very quickly overtake the value of the boat itself. Buying a boat isn't the expensive part, owning it is.

#2908872 - 02/12/18 04:37 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: Donsta]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Donsta
I inherited a houseboat that was nice but didn't have the means or the time to enjoy it. I ended up selling it for less than half of what I was told it was worth. So I'd say that if you want a boat spend some time looking around. If you want to save a lot of money don't buy a boat.

Couple of sayings in the boating world:
- A man's best day is the day he buys his boat.. his second best day is the day he sells it.
AND
- Never be jealous of a boat owner. Be jealous of the best friend of the boat owner. laugh

#2908874 - 02/12/18 04:44 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: #%$(#]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
'king Millennials.

..Joe

#2908969 - 02/12/18 09:48 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: joegerardi]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

My brother and I both grew up on boats. He bought a big boat because it was so cheap. He quickly learned that the slip fees and fuel costs made it way too expensive to keep. He said that you calculate fuel costs not in miles per gallon but in gallons per mile. He sold it for cheap too.

#2908971 - 02/12/18 09:51 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: El Lobo]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

A couple I know spent a year sailing with their 2 kids on their custom built boat, but they knew what they were doing and were well-prepared.

A friend I used to sail with sailed with a few other people from San Francisco to Hawaii and back. He said it was the most boring thing he had ever done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner