Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2909210 - 02/13/18 06:02 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: El Lobo]
joegerardi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Savannah,GA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: El Lobo
He quickly learned that the slip fees and fuel costs made it way too expensive to keep. He said that you calculate fuel costs not in miles per gallon but in gallons per mile. He sold it for cheap too.

Much like airplanes. You can get into a really good, reliable airplane for around 20 grand these days. Then, the hangar or tie-down, fuel right now is very low at around 4 bucks a gallon, and my plane burns 10 gallons an hour to go 130 miles, an FAA-required annual inspection that costs 1500 just for them to look at it, then more to fix any little squawks.just a used halfway decent radio is around 1700- if you can afford to wait to find a cheaper one; a decent IFR GPS is 5 grand used. (Not counting the 1500 installation costs...

...I could continue ad nauseum.

And that's for the boring time of flying in a straight line from point A to point B. Because those swooping, dramatic turns you always see pilots doing in the movie? They never happen.

The only saving grace is the pure unadulterated joy of sitting on a chair with sky under your feet, and soaring where very few people get to go in command of a vehicle.

..Joe

KC Island
#2909218 - 02/13/18 06:39 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: joegerardi]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Well there is the 3F rule - if it flies, floats or f...s, rent it , don't buy it.

#2909369 - 02/13/18 03:36 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: El Lobo]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: El Lobo
My brother and I both grew up on boats. He bought a big boat because it was so cheap. He quickly learned that the slip fees and fuel costs made it way too expensive to keep. He said that you calculate fuel costs not in miles per gallon but in gallons per mile. He sold it for cheap too.

A boat-owning friend of mine once told me "The happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat. The second happiest day is when you sell it."

#2909376 - 02/13/18 04:33 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: CowboyNQ]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: CowboyNQ

A boat-owning friend of mine once told me "The happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat. The second happiest day is when you sell it."

I've heard that somewhere before. wink

#2909391 - 02/13/18 06:01 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: DulceLabs.com]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2909405 - 02/13/18 07:54 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: DulceLabs.com]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: #%$(#

Ha! Perhaps from other boat owners (a club to which I don't belong, for better or worse). It might be a mantra.

There's a fair chance that he didn't author the statement, but I distinctly remember his wry smile when he said it. I should note for the record that he's still a boat owner!

#2909424 - 02/13/18 09:49 PM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: CowboyNQ]
S_Gould Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Port Charlotte ,FL,UNITED STAT...
I've always heard that saying the other way around. "The second happiest day in your life is when you buy a boat; the happiest is when you sell it. " My grandfather (who lived on lake Michigan and never owned a boat) used to tell me "A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money in."

#2909431 - 02/14/18 12:07 AM Re: OT: Quit job, sold everything to take on music venture [Re: CowboyNQ]
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: CLASSIFIED
Originally Posted By: #%$(#

Ha! Perhaps from other boat owners (a club to which I don't belong, for better or worse). It might be a mantra.

There's a fair chance that he didn't author the statement, but I distinctly remember his wry smile when he said it. I should note for the record that he's still a boat owner!

I'm messing with you. I posted the saying on the previous page. I think I heard it on "Jeopardy!" grin grin grin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner