Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2908719 - 02/11/18 10:21 AM Goals & Milestones...
CaptainUnderpant Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
On Jan 2012 I declared that "I am going to be in a band". I had never been in a band, or performed live, so this was quite a bold statement, especially when declared by a 50 year old.

My mission statement... "To be good enough that if the keyboard player in the average bar band were to die up on stage, and they were to say, Do we have another keyboard player in the house, that I could raise my hand and get up on stage and the show would go on". I know, pretty weird mission statement. My friend said he would become very suspect if keyboard players started randomly dying, but I digress.

Well two years ago, while in Cabo. I complimented the lead singer of the house band at Sammy Haggar's bar, Cabo Wabo. We got talking, one thing led to another and I was invited up on stage to play 3 songs with the house band on the main stage over the course of the night. It was a blast. When I got down off stage, I had some compliments and one chick asked if WE took requests. I was like, I have no idea, I am not really with the band. My wife got video, and to add to the video footage, our hot mess and very buzzed girlfriend got up on stage and dirty danced with the lead singer, to sweet little thing, while I was on keyboards. Goal achieved.

Last week I reached a different milestone, yet this milestone was seen only in hindsight. I am a member of a yacht club. After dinner, I went over to the piano which was far enough away from both the dining room and bar to not be intrusive, and played and sang for about an hour. I make it a habit, when I see a piano, to play a few songs as long as it isn't intrusive. This is just to work through nerves. I had quite a few compliments and one "Your amazing". Then some good friends of ours showed up with another couple. Our friends didn't even know I played. We have been friends for 30 years, but I only took it up piano 6 years ago in earnest, so that made sense. But the other couple asked "Where else do you play, because we would like to come listen".

At that point I realized I had reached a milestone, possibly my last. That "I am good enough, that they don't know that I am not good". This isn't meant as a belittling statement, or one of false modesty. But more that I can finally put down the self judgement and enjoy myself. While I have been very aware of my newbie status over the last 6 years, and have continuously wondered where I fit into the landscape of talent, I have also been aware that most of you forumites don't give a crap about where you stand in the spectrum of talent. You know you have strengths and weaknesses, as does every performing musician.

This last realization, that "I am good enough, that they don't know that I am not good", is hugely freeing. I allows me to get into my performances and really enjoy the playing rather than sit in judgement of myself, which nobody wants to see. While getting up on stage and playing in a different country on a famous stage was certainly exciting and rewarding. This final goal of no longer needing to self critic myself while playing, seems to truly be the final goal. I feel free, and look forward to really being able to play!

Thank you to all on this forum, as I feel you have all been both my mentors, teachers and brother in this wonderful journey.

KC Island
#2908722 - 02/11/18 10:28 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
Nathanael_I Offline

This is a very cool achievement! Many congrats! You ARE good! Here's to many more years of musical happiness, self expression, and having a great time!

#2908729 - 02/11/18 10:54 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: Nathanael_I]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Awesome! I just read Sammy's book, and you both have me thinking about going there.

But just for where you've gotten, twothumbs

Also, videos or it didn't happen. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2908738 - 02/11/18 11:09 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
CaptainUnderpant Offline
Gold Member

It happened...... I would suggest scrolling ahead to 2:20 where she does the faux handjob blowjob and twerking, as that is more interesting than my piano playing!

#2908743 - 02/11/18 11:36 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

I'm just impressed that you and your wife have a girlfriend.

But congrats on your milestones. And if it might help, I've always said that the main thing that differentiates a pro level player is that they are better at concealing their mistakes.

#2908745 - 02/11/18 11:41 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
good for you. thu
glad you are having fun.
(she does seem like the shy type. blush)
Trent Reznor

#2908758 - 02/11/18 01:39 PM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: AnotherScott]
CaptainUnderpant Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
I'm just impressed that you and your wife have a girlfriend.

Good point. Piano has taken maybe 5-10 years, while I have spent a life time trying to understand love, relationships, and women and only feel like I am just starting to scratch the surface. smile

#2908787 - 02/11/18 03:36 PM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
matted stump Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2908818 - 02/11/18 06:12 PM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: CaptainUnderpant
Last week I reached an important milestone, yet this milestone was seen only in hindsight. I am a member of a yacht club.

That certainly puts you ahead of most starving artists! Congratulations, Skipper!

On a serious note, well done on achieving your musical goal, and thanks for sharing those cool experiences. It sounds like you've put plenty of hard work into learning your craft - enjoy all the satisfaction it brings.

"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators."

#2908861 - 02/12/18 03:16 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
mwheels Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Congratulations on achieving your goal in a relatively short period of time. Itís difficult to describe the satisfaction and enjoyment of playing music, but as Iíve come to realize and accept over the years, and as the video shows - in a band situation itís all about the frontman

#2908871 - 02/12/18 04:29 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: mwheels]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mwheels
in a band situation itís all about the frontman

Yes, not to take anything away from the OP or any of the rest of us, but with the right frontman/woman, the rest of the band merely needs to be competent... anything more is a bonus!

#2908921 - 02/12/18 06:47 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: AnotherScott]
CaptainUnderpant Offline
Gold Member

No doubt that a hot chick groping the lead singer is way more interesting that some guy on keys. But that is the great thing about keyboards, we can be an important instrument in rounding out the band with a wide range of sounds. Or we can go it solo and hold down the entire song with our own voices and just piano. So we have an instrument that allows us to be the front man as well.

It is just a lot harder to hold the whole song together and shine as a solo act, but it is something I am working on. Ah... music... you never run out of things to work on.

#2908997 - 02/12/18 11:04 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
My wife and I having a girlfriend would definitely be a milestone, that's for sure....

#2909289 - 02/13/18 10:53 AM Re: Goals & Milestones... [Re: CaptainUnderpant]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: CaptainUnderpant
It happened...... I would suggest scrolling ahead to 2:20 where she does the faux handjob blowjob and twerking, as that is more interesting than my piano playing!
roll thu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner