Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2908568 - 02/10/18 01:10 PM Behringer Model D first impressions
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

To the amusement of some forum members, I started a thread about the trials and tribulations of one man's (that would be me) journey from a state of D-lessness to D-fulness. In time my D (finally...) arrived and, by default, I started posting about my new toy in the Dates Keep Slipping thread...which is a little disjointed when you think about it, so I'm starting a new thread now that it's here.

So here we are, starting a new time line as of today 2/10/18. My D arrived yesterday and, to be honest, it's been so crazy-busy here that I've only had maybe an hour to mess with it, so this truly is a first impression.

The objective stuff:

--Several retailers are selling the Behringer Model D. I happened to order mine from Musician's Friend. It came in well-packed, along with a MIDI cable I had ordered at the same time. The Behringer box itself was taped closed with lint or dust or something under the tape. The tape was on diagonally and had bubbles underneath. The corners weren't stuck down. Does this matter in the great scheme of things? No, of course not. But it does indicate a certain slapdash approach to packaging. Someone was in a hurry.

--Inside the box, the unit was in the usual clear poly bag with the usual "Do Not Eat" silica gel pouch. Again, the tape holding the bag closed had been applied in a hurry. The bag itself had those little puckery places that you see after polyethylene has been pulled; not pristine. Yep. Gettin' 'em out the door. Rush, rush, rush. Fulfill those backorders.

--The Model D itself has marred places on the aluminum discs in the middle of a few of the knobs. Not a crisis, but not what you expect from a pristine new piece of equipment. The wooden (I'm not sure that they're actually wood--haven't examined them closely yet) end caps have a few very, very small dings on the sharp edges. I doubt that most people would even notice this, but I happen to do woodworking and I look for such things.

--The Model D comes with a wall wart, two short 1/8" jumpers for patches, a ribbon cable that I assume is for those who want to mount their unit in a larger Eurorack, an owner's manual, and for those who are into such things...a triangular Behringer sticker.

--My associated "test" equipment that I've used so far includes my ongoing Fatar 76 key-keybed with a midiboutique encoder project and a Moog Little Phatty (the original version, in case that matters). I'm not interested in sequencers and such; I'm using keyboards to drive the thing. I use an Allen & Heath ZED 14 mixer to gather all the disparate signals and wrangle them into a coherent whole.

The subjective stuff:

--The unit feels good. It weighs enough that I don't get the impression that it's made of aluminum foil, but not so much that it will be a burden to carry around.

--The knobs and switches feel decent. Certainly at least as good as I would expect for the price point. Ask me a year or two from now and we'll see how well they hold up in use. I'm not in a band and have little prospect of finding like-minded musicians, so I'll leave it to others to describe how the D holds up on the road.

--I started out on the Fatar-based MIDI controller I'm building--basically a 76-key Model D (I believe the original Moog had 44 keys). It took a moment to get enough knobs twisted and switches flipped to get a signal, but the signal was low. Real low. The D has two outputs. I had plugged into the Low output, just to be conservative. High worked much better for my situation.

--The knobs strike me as being pretty close together. They're of acceptable size; if they were any smaller, I'd be bitching. There's an acceptable amount of room between them, but not enough for me to be entirely comfortable. If things were any tighter, I'd be bitching. I keep hitting the tuning knobs when I'm going for something else, which throws things out of whack. I think I'll get used to it, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to live with anything smaller than the D.

--Okay...by now you'll be saying, "Yeah, yeah, yeah...but how does it sound, Grey?" In a word: Fun. This thing's a gas to play with. I find the physical knobs and buttons far more intuitive to work with than the interface on the Little Phatty, which is an odd hybrid of knobs and semi-menu-ish layers. It's easy to dial in sounds. They sound pretty much the way I want them to; more organic than the harsh, metallic tones that so many other synths have these days. Yes, that edgy sound is popular. It cuts through the noise on a dance floor. But I don't like it. If you want something like a Moog sound, the D has something very much like a Moog sound, and at a good price.

--I next tried the second level of my experimental program, which is to run it in parallel with the Little Phatty so that I've got five oscillators going simultaneously. How does that sound? I've tried to come up with metaphors that don't involve sexual imagery, but it's difficult. This is the sound I've been looking for. Rich. Detailed. Tasty. Yummy. (Can I use gastronomic metaphors without upsetting anyone?) Like "spooning a warm marshmallow," if I may borrow from Big Hero Six. Or, in the vernacular:

"Aw, hell yeah!"

--So far, the D seems to stay pretty decently tuned. True, I'm in a temperature-controlled environment, not an outdoor gig in the blazing sun, alternating with blizzard conditions. But I can say that it seems to hold pitch as well as my Little Phatty.

--I have yet to try poly chaining. I'll get there. This review is a work in progress. I shall return.

Grey

KC Island
#2908570 - 02/10/18 01:37 PM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Thanks for the depth of the review so far. Eagerly awaiting the follow up!

#2908643 - 02/10/18 10:32 PM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

But how much does it sound like a MIni?

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2908648 - 02/11/18 01:17 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: mate stubb]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Moe,
I don't own--or even have access to--a Moog, so I can't do a head to head comparison. Working from the gazillion recorded instances that we've all heard over the years, I'd say it gets a thumbs up.

It sounds good. I can dial in patches that I've got locked in my head, like that solo Emerson did at the end of Lucky Man, in seconds. I'm sure I could get even closer by spending more time tweaking the settings, but the ability to go from nothing to a 95%-there simulacrum is reassuring. There are sounds that I was never able to satisfactorily get with the Little Phatty that the Behringer can do quickly. Part of it is probably down to the user interface, because it's just flat out easier to work with. Part of it is having three oscillators, rather than two. Part of it is going to be the voicing of the circuit, which is really going to be the nut of the matter.

We already know, going in, that the Behringer Model D has a significant number of parts changes compared to the Moog Model D Minimoog. Some parts have been discontinued. Others were swapped out for more modern versions. The aggregate of all those changes has to count for something--there will be differences in sound. My gut feeling is that the Behringer probably has a little more high end, mostly due to the capacitors. A little more "hi-fi," if you will. To me, that's acceptable.

Someone who owns the real thing may be put off by the differences, but barring winning the lottery I won't be able to justify the cost of the Moog version. At the end of the day, I'm quite content to have a synth that doesn't use carbon composition resistors. The bloody things drift too much over time. Now, I must note that in the stereo world there are people who feel that carbon comp resistors sound better: warmer. This is a case where I'll willingly give up a little warmth as a tradeoff for a more stable circuit. I've never built two identical circuits, one with metal film resistors, one with carbon comp--no other changes--and listened to them side-by-side, so I have no opinion as to the sound qualities. I do know that some metal film resistors sound better than others, but that kind of hair splitting aside, the parts in the Behringer are SMD and that level of part-swapping would be an immense pain in the patootie...something I'm just not willing to do. It's a non-starter. The Behringer is, at least in my estimation, a pretty damned good iteration of the classic Moog circuit.

I believe I saw a comparison video on YouTube a couple of months ago, but can't remember what the title was. Someone who's interested could probably locate it fairly quickly.

My only real reservation is the marring on the knobs. It's just not what you'd expect on a new piece of equipment. However, it's minor and doesn't affect the sound quality, which I feel to be good. Would I buy a Behringer D, knowing what I know today?

Yes.

Grey

#2908667 - 02/11/18 06:13 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: GRollins
Moe,
I don't own--or even have access to--a Moog, so I can't do a head to head comparison. Working from the gazillion recorded instances that we've all heard over the years, I'd say it gets a thumbs up.

It sounds good. I can dial in patches that I've got locked in my head, like that solo Emerson did at the end of Lucky Man, in seconds.

And the Behringer with teh right controller should beat a Minimoog at Lucky Man, because it was played on the big Moog, and it should be played with more than 44 keys!

#2908669 - 02/11/18 06:22 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: AnotherScott]
piano39 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hey GROLLINS... Thanks for doing this. You are a true pioneer.

So, I decided a few months ago, to put the Behringer Model D on my "buy" list for 2018. I wanted to wait until people like you gave insightful reviews.

My new problem... Should I wait for the Neutron instead? I like the patch bay, included delay, S&H. But I would give up the "Mooginess".

#2908674 - 02/11/18 07:05 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: AnotherScott]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Moe,

It sounds good. I can dial in patches that I've got locked in my head, like that solo Emerson did at the end of Lucky Man, in seconds.

And the Behringer with teh right controller should beat a Minimoog at Lucky Man, because it was played on the big Moog, and it should be played with more than 44 keys!

Not really a great example - the Moog modular filter is quite different than a Minimoog filter.

#2908682 - 02/11/18 07:38 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: mate stubb]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Not really a great example - the Moog modular filter is quite different than a Minimoog filter.

There are plenty of differences between a Mini and a modular, but I think the Lucky Man sound can probably be pretty closely recreated on a Mini. Though I admit, I never specifically tried to get that sound on a Mini myself.

#2908689 - 02/11/18 08:09 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: AnotherScott]
Pianolando Online   content

I just listened to a comparison video - amazingly close imho. Well done Behringer!

#2908692 - 02/11/18 08:20 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: mate stubb]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Another thing I should note...and I'm not sure whether this qualifies as objective or subjective: To choose note priority (High, Low, Last), you have to flip the tuning switch ON-OFF-ON within five seconds of turning on the power. It doesn't seem to respond consistently. It's not that hard to cycle the switch within a five second window, you know, but the results...sometimes it does something, sometimes it doesn't. There's no external indication as to your current note priority, and I'm okay with that, but it's a little on the hunt and peck side to run through the High, Low, Last when you're not sure where you are in the sequence. Oops. Got it wrong. Turn the D off. Turn the D on. Turn the tuner on, off, on. Try again. Still not there. Turn the D off, turn the D on, turn the tuner on, off , on. Oi! No, it's not a huge problem. After all, there are only three options and nothing's going to blow up if you get it wrong...it's just fiddly. I'd be a little happier if I felt it was responding consistently. I swear on two different occasions I switched and nothing happened. Maybe I lost my focus for a moment.

Part of the problem is that if you get slap-happy and cycle the tuner too few or too many times, you find yourself adjusting some other parameter. Behringer uses the same switching strategy for other things and I ended up switching something by mistake, but I didn't realize it at the time and it took a minute to realize what was wrong. I want to make clear that the wrong number of flips was my fault (not to be confused with when you flip and it doesn't go into "mode mode"), but the fiddly-ness of the mode change thing is something to watch for. You have to remember to count the number of flashes of the LED to make sure you're in the mode you wanted to be in.

That's probably more words than the topic deserves, but I think I'm getting sick and I'm not going to try to edit it all down the way I do sometimes. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide how important the little switchy thing is to you.

piano39,
To me, it was a no-brainer to go with the D, but I can understand that others have other sounds in their imaginations. The Behringer Model D sounds sufficiently "Moogy" for my purposes. Bear in mind that it does have some patch points. Enough for you? I can't answer that one.

AnotherScott & Moe,
This is a reaaaly tiny synth. I don't think anyone is going to mistake it for the monster that Emerson used to play. I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to nail the tones that Emerson or Wakeman used, as I've got things I hear in my head that I want to try for. It just happens that I've been listening to ELP recently and that solo was still reasonably fresh in my mind. I was able to get really close in mere seconds. Could the gap be narrowed further? I'll leave that for someone in a cover band to decide. I was just noodling at the time and decided to try for it.

At the moment, the D is still in "deep oscillator" mode, paralleled with the Little Phatty. I'm enjoying that so much that it may be a while before I get around to trying poly chaining.

Well...that and the fact that I'll have to wrestle with the confounded tuning switch thing again to switch it into poly chain mode. Ugh.

Grey

#2908698 - 02/11/18 08:33 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
10k Club

Another thing I should note...and I'm not sure whether this qualifies as objective or subjective: To choose note priority (High, Low, Last), you have to flip the tuning switch ON-OFF-ON within five seconds of turning on the power.

I assume it remembers your last selection when you reboot? So then presumably most people would pick their preferred mode and generally leave it there. FWIW, a Mini is fixed at low-note priority, so that mode alone would give you "authenticity." Nice to have the others, though. It was an adjustment for me when I first switched from my Mini-Korg (high note priority) to MiniMoog (low). I think Last tends to work well for almost all situations.

That's probably more words than the topic deserves, but I think I'm getting sick and I'm not going to try to edit it all down the way I do sometimes.

Mark Twain apologized for the length of a letter, explaining he dd not have the time to make it shorter. ;-) One of my favorites.

#2908699 - 02/11/18 08:38 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
dougb415 Offline

Loc: Summertown TN
If anyone is interested, you can get 15% off at Musicians Friend just by calling in. I did, my “Boog” cost me $255 and ships out Monday, Feb 12th.

#2908714 - 02/11/18 09:56 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: dougb415]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

AnotherScott,
Yes, the default is Low note, but I'm a Last kind of fellow. I think the D is supposed to remember, but I've left it switched on so as to keep the oscillators stable...haven't tested that yet.

Yep, love Twain.

dougb415,
Part of me's tempted to order two or four more (three or five, total) for poly chaining, but I just dropped a wad of money on something else and can't justify the expenditure. Plus, I want to take a little more time to evaluate the one I've got.

...besides, I don't want to get in the way of someone else who might want to order before the supply pipeline is fully up to speed--don't want to be greedy.

Grey

#2908717 - 02/11/18 10:18 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Lucky Man, The secret is using big mother hubbard stage amplification. grin

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2908720 - 02/11/18 10:23 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
$255...un-f-ing-real that you can get a decent model D clone for that. I have zero use for one, but at that price I'm almost tempted. The only thing stopping me is my studio is already a mess of equipment.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2908747 - 02/11/18 11:45 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: Iconoclast]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Iconoclast
$255...un-f-ing-real that you can get a decent model D clone for that.

Given that my keyboard stuff has to share space with guitar and bass gear, I have to be pretty choosy about what I buy because I'm pretty tightly packed in, but the D is so blinkin' small, I figured I could make it work. I mean...really, the booger's about the size of one hardback book, plus one softback.

And at the price...?

Yeah, well, you know how that question got resolved.

Grey

Edited by GRollins (02/11/18 11:45 AM)

#2909237 - 02/13/18 07:42 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

One minor quibble that I didn't mention earlier--the owner's manual is annoying to work with. It's in five languages, which I have no problem with, but the layout is English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, over and over and over again.

For example: Pages 16 and 17 cover the Controls in English, 18-20 cover the controls in Spanish, 21-23 in French, etc. Then you start the sequence over again for Getting Started...English pages 30-31, Spanish pages 32-33, and so on.

Would it have been so hard to put all the English pages together? All the Spanish? All the French? It's tedious, skipping pages, trying to remember where the chart for the ON-OFF-ON-OFF sequences are buried, in amongst all the other...oh, wait, I found it...oops, no, that's German, and I don't read German...oh, there it is...nope...French.

It's a minor detail. In the great scheme of things, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The controls all work pretty much the way that you'd expect if you've fiddled with a Moog product before. It's the Behringer-added things (like the Mode table) that you need to find...but can't.

Yes, I put a bookmark in the bloody page, but still...

Grey

P.S.: I'm sick and grumpier than usual. I'll probably feel more forgiving later.

Or maybe not...it really would have been quite simple to lay the manual out differently.

#2909276 - 02/13/18 10:10 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
AnotherScott,
Yes, the default is Low note, but I'm a Last kind of fellow. I think the D is supposed to remember, but I've left it switched on so as to keep the oscillators stable...haven't tested that yet.
Grey

Grey - since you're running the Model D and LP in parallel try this:

Set the note priority different on each machine: For example if you're Model D is set to Last Note priority set your LP to Low Note or Hi Note Priority. This gives a really cool duo-phonic effect when you hold certain notes. I recently stumbled onto this triggering my modular and another mono at the same time and absolutely love the effect.

Hope you're feeling better.

#2909293 - 02/13/18 10:58 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: Markyboard]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Oh, man, I hit that by accident the other night! Thought I was going crazy. I knew the whole thing was monophonic--supposedly--yet I was getting two notes and it took me a minute to figure out why. This was in my "where am I in the note priority" ON-OFF-ON confusion. I had the Little Phatty set to Last and the D was (unbeknownst to me) set to Low. I thought I had it set to Last, but...

Where the hell were you when I needed you? I could have used someone standing at my shoulder, pointing out the obvious. As it was, I uttered many bad words trying to work out the problem in my head.

Anyway, yeah, it's a cool effect as long as you finger carefully. If the D was easier to work with regarding note priority, I'd be open to doing it on purpose. Poor man's duo-para-whateverphonic.

It's possible--haven't investigated yet--that the D can have note priority set via computer. That might ease the pain of the ON-OFF-ON nonsense a bit--not to mention make it mucho faster.

I have yet to hook this thing to a computer. I'm not sure what version of the operating system it's on. I've read that there are problems with the most recent update screwing up when loaded via Windows 10. I've got several versions of Windows running on different machines so I've got options, but am not willing to get into an argument with recalcitrant hardware today. The critter works and that's good enough for me. Tomorrow I may bounce out of bed all full of piss and vinegar and decide that I'm ready to wrestle bears. Today...not so much. I'm content to stretch my brain trying to work out a (yep, synth) lead line for a tune I've got going.

Grey

#2909365 - 02/13/18 03:15 PM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
Keybass Offline

I purchased my first Minimoog D out of the Recycler in 1981. I sold that and bought another and traded that for a guitar, which I sold and bought a car. I just compared the BD to the MD-reissue and am very impressed by Behringer's module. On a scale from 1-10 I would give it a 7.5 for tonal accuracy. The Moog just has more fundamental, more bottom end warmth in it's sound. It's smoother and the filter is snappier IMHO.

Still for $254.00 you can't go wrong and with the right pre-amping it my come up to an 8.5 or 9 in it's tonal accuracy.

The Mini stays at home and Behringer will see a lot of work, well done Behringer.

Edited by Keybass (02/13/18 03:16 PM)

#2909378 - 02/13/18 04:46 PM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: Keybass]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Another thing I've been meaning to put in here...very important:

In discussions elsewhere, people were wondering about/worrying about/arguing about whether Oscillator 2 would be stable vis a vis Oscillator 1. The answer, as far as I've been able to tell, is yes--Oscillator 2 is stable. There is some (thermal, i.e. normal for this design) drift overall, but the three oscillators seem to track together pretty tightly. That's according to my tuner as well as my ears. So, yeah, it looks as though Behringer put in the Oscillator 2 stability mods. (They'd have been pretty dumb not to, but...)

Day Three and my only real complaint is the marring on the knob caps and that's not the end of the world--it's just cosmetic. Okay, I could complain about these bloody germs that are keeping me from playing, but that wouldn't be fair...not Behringer's fault.

Grey

#2909441 - 02/14/18 03:40 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
Synthoid Online   content
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Day Three and my only real complaint is the marring on the knob caps

Maybe you received a repackaged demo unit. idk

#2909443 - 02/14/18 03:54 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES

Day Three and my only real complaint is the marring on the knob caps and that's not the end of the world--it's just cosmetic.

Grey

Bush league.

#2909457 - 02/14/18 05:59 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: ksoper]
Mighty Ferguson Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I received mine and only had enough time to look it over, power it up, and crank up the three oscillators. I can’t give even a basic first impression at this point, but I can say that I don’t see any blemishes on the knobs or anywhere else.

#2909458 - 02/14/18 06:01 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: Synthoid]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Synthoid
Day Three and my only real complaint is the marring on the knob caps

Maybe you received a repackaged demo unit. idk

On all but one of the non-perfect knobs, the markings are concentric with the decorative circular spin of the aluminum caps. One knob has some random scratching. Like I say, it's purely cosmetic; doesn't affect the operation of the unit. I suspect that--given that most of the imperfect knobs are concentric swirls, the problem is most likely in the manufacture of the knobs themselves. Assuming that Behringer probably buys OEM knobs by the ten-thousand from someone else, then their only part in the deal is to pull a fistful out of the box and stick them on the D (and any other product they make that might chance to use the same style knob). Behringer's only fault in the matter, then, is choosing an OEM supplier that doesn't have better quality control...but another (presumed better quality) supplier would cost more, which would eventually increase the retail cost of the unit.

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but there may be a clear plastic coating over the aluminum discs on the knobs that's puckered/pulling loose at the edges. I haven't cared enough to look closely yet. Same comments about OEM suppliers vs. cost apply. If true, and if the adhesive plastic does pull loose, I can either live with it or tape off the skirt of the knob(s) and shoot it/them with lacquer the next time I'm doing the finish on a guitar. It would probably be more trouble than it's worth to take the time to mask the black plastic, but it's an option, I guess.

Yeah. I can live with it. It's still a helluva toy for what I paid for it (~$249).

Grey

#2909496 - 02/14/18 08:19 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: GRollins]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

It used to be that some knobs with chrome center caps came with a plastic film over them, which was supposed to be removed like the film over a display.

When you did not remove them, they often made the cap look dirty or scratched.

#2909515 - 02/14/18 08:58 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: mate stubb]
RichieP_MechE Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
It used to be that some knobs with chrome center caps came with a plastic film over them, which was supposed to be removed like the film over a display.

When you did not remove them, they often made the cap look dirty or scratched.

He's right - my Model D just showed up and I suspected similarly - and yep, a neat little circular film peeled right off. Of course, I used the tip of a utility knife to take the first one off and ended up scratching the polished aluminum in the process - oops. Used my fingernail on the rest without any issues.

PS - I ordered my Friday night from GC (with 20% off coupon) and it arrived today.

#2910941 - 02/20/18 10:29 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: RichieP_MechE]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

Meant to note this, but kept forgetting...Moe was right, there are little plastic appliques that come off fairly easily. However, in peeling one off, I discovered that the aluminum disc underneath was more damaged than the plastic. Fortunately we're talking very, very small amounts of damage and it's all still just cosmetic stuff anyway. In all but the one case, the caps have been pristine. I haven't pulled them all off yet--it's just something I do in idle moments while I'm thinking.

Overall, I'm still pretty pleased with the D.

Grey

#2911058 - 02/20/18 08:56 PM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: Iconoclast]
Ed A. Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Connecticut,USA
Originally Posted By: Iconoclast
$255...un-f-ing-real that you can get a decent model D clone for that. I have zero use for one, but at that price I'm almost tempted.

Just what I was thinking. I bought a Minimoog in 1979 that I sold a couple years later because I got bored with the sound and had no use for it. At $255 I'm also tempted to get a Behringer Model D, but I'd still have no use for it.

#2911069 - 02/21/18 01:10 AM Re: Behringer Model D first impressions [Re: Ed A.]
GRollins Offline
Gold Member

The interesting thing is that I'm finding more uses for it. My Little Phatty (two oscillators) never quite got the job done for certain types of tones. Having three oscillators (the D) gives me more options. Running five oscillators (both in parallel) enriches the sound exponentially--I'm finally able to get some of the sounds I've been hearing in my head all along. The LP tended to sit in the corner, ignored. No more. The ugly duckling is all growed up now.

Grey

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner