Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2908566 - 02/10/18 01:08 PM Carvin Audio Steve Vai legacy drive pedal
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Check this one out overdrive lovers, play the video on the page link below.

https://carvinaudio.com/pages/vld1
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2908589 - 02/10/18 03:37 PM Re: Carvin Audio Steve Vai legacy drive pedal [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Looks like a cool pedal with 12AX7's...I'm not into the Steve Vai sound so I won't be buying one. I did like the reverb pedal sound he was using in the demo. Nice to see Carvin is still around! cool

#2908629 - 02/10/18 08:09 PM Re: Carvin Audio Steve Vai legacy drive pedal [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I won't be buying one either Larryz, II would be able to tweak it more towards a Santana like overdrive by turning off the presence controls that would take some of the grit off of the tone. I have 2 very good distortion pedals that I can do that with and I already own them.

#2908734 - 02/11/18 11:03 AM Re: Carvin Audio Steve Vai legacy drive pedal [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 DBM, on the Santana sound. It's the only overdriven sustaining sound I really appreciate and would want to copy. cool

Edited by Larryz (02/11/18 11:07 AM)

#2908760 - 02/11/18 01:45 PM Re: Carvin Audio Steve Vai legacy drive pedal [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 DBM, on the Santana sound. It's the only overdriven sustaining sound I really appreciate and would want to copy. cool
I do not really like the overdrive sound unless it is smooth with no "hair" on the tone. If it sounds like a violin that is too much hair, and if it has a lot of presence setting on it that is even hairier. I turn down the trebles, up the mids, and the bass, and the presence is always all the way off on any amp or pedal that I have, trying to eliminate the fuzzy hair on the notes, I do not want my guitar to growl, I want it to sing with smooth sustaining notes. I like pretty sounding, not metal style ugly distortions....On both of my amps I use a volume box in my efx loop it has the same effect as turning down the volume pot on your guitar, it mitigates the harsh parts of the tone, it mitigates the hair as well. I turn that down 1/4 of the way to off about, and that does the trick. It also mitigates the harsh pick attack on the cleans. I like to keep my guitars volume knob(s) all the way full up, so all of the power of the pups get to the preamps, the EFX loop is usually between the pre and power amps. It works wonders....

#2908903 - 02/12/18 06:10 AM Re: Carvin Audio Steve Vai legacy drive pedal [Re: desertbluesman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Looks like a cool pedal with 12AX7's...I'm not into the Steve Vai sound so I won't be buying one.

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
I won't be buying one either Larryz, II would be able to tweak it more towards a Santana like overdrive by turning off the presence controls that would take some of the grit off of the tone. I have 2 very good distortion pedals that I can do that with and I already own them.

Yeah, I'd bet that one could dial-in THEIR tonal preferences quite easily on this Carvin pedal.

I also have gotten a lot of miles out of an overdrive/distortion pedal that uses a 12AX7 tube in it, albeit with low voltages and in a hybrid SS/tube circuit design. It's a Radial Tonebone Plexitube, a rather 'Marshally' sounding pedal. In this case, the tube may not be the primary source of the overdrive and distortion, but it does seem to fatten and warm the tone and feel, adding harmonic-overtones.

The Plexitube has a LOT of controls, and even two channels- so it's easy- after a lot of experimenting, mind you- to dial-in personal tones that match ones tube-amp (or even in front of SS digital-modeler/multi-effects units!) and fit in as if the pedal adds two more channels to the amp. This was particularly true when pairing that pedal with a Fuchs Lucky 7 all-tube head.

I also like it a lot when feeding it into the clean channel of my Egnater Rebel 30 Mk II head.

I never got much use out of it with my old Carvin Vintage 33 tube-amp, other than simultaneously feeding that pedal through a digital-modeler/multi-effects unit that was going direct to he PA and monitors in parallel with the tube-amp. That combined sound was HUGE!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2908926 - 02/12/18 07:07 AM Re: Carvin Audio Steve Vai legacy drive pedal [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I think the Vai pedal looks very interesting and I'm glad Carvin is making it's way back on the market scene with it and some other limited equipment offers. They have always been a great company IMHO. If I were seeking an OD/distortion pedal I would look seriously at this one. Running it in front of an SS amp with all those controls could be pretty cool. +1 it would take a lot of experimentation to dial it in, and it gives a lot of options. I have never used a tube equipped pedal and that too would be interesting. I will have to read the reviews later down the line... cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose