Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2908244 - 02/09/18 01:49 AM Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Didn't know about this model as it's quite new, and replaces a similar model I also didn't know about but which had three pickups with only partial control of the middle one, and half-moon style f-holes instead of scroll-holes.

It was at the front door at GC last week, and though the green caught my attention, I wouldn't have bothered trying it if not noting that it didn't have Filter'Tron's, which I hate. I have long been open to a Gretsch with HiLo's, but they are quite rare.

I love this guitar. It sounds like George Harrison! Spruce centre block, thin body, Bigsby B70, and tweaked Blacktop Filter'Trons (which I DO like -- they sound nothing like regular ones and are just called that so people recognize them as "Gretsch"), that have pole pieces removed asymmetrically for a twangier sound. More or less single-coil humbuckers, if you will.

GP Island
#2908252 - 02/09/18 04:34 AM Re: Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups [Re: Mark Schmieder]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Since you posted no photo I went looking. Yeah, nice looking instrument. Saw it on the GC website, but along with a notice: "We no longer carry this item". ???

Maybe the one you saw was the last one they had. I didn't know if they meant for online sale or storewide.
Whitefang

#2908276 - 02/09/18 07:27 AM Re: Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
So ...?
This seems to have no point except as a marketing ploy.
Are you asking something or making a relevant comment ?

How does a gtr "sound like GH", who used a variety of gtrs in his career from electric Gretsches to Ricks to Fender Strats & Teles + acoustics of a similar range ?

#2908279 - 02/09/18 07:32 AM Re: Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California

Edited by Larryz (02/09/18 07:33 AM)

#2908326 - 02/09/18 10:55 AM Re: Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Oh yeah, everything cool about Gretsch, plus what's good about a 335, i.e. great center block sustain. There are too many Gretsches in my house already, but if they ever decide to make a limited edition 5622, black with gold hardware, I'm all over it.

#2908350 - 02/09/18 12:26 PM Re: Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups [Re: Scott Fraser]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

People expect me to be coherent at 2am? :-)

This guitar specifically nails the sounds of the Revolver era.

As HiLo pickups haven't been made in eons, this model is big news for a lot of people. TV Jones has his version, and this one isn't a true replica as it is humbucker-based, but a LOT of people are going to be made happy by Gretsch's release of this guitar, as it fills a hole that nothing else has really filled in a long time.

My guitar tech said everything is great, and that it only needs very minor nut and bridge work. Nothing critical that would hold me off from recording with it in its current state.

He thought the strings felt kind of slinky, but I didn't, and I'm real sensitive to that. They're just standard D'addario EXL's, at the 0.010" to 0.042" gauge.

As I like the current string tension balance, and timbral mix, I will probably stick with the neutral D'addario EXL's on this guitar, but otherwise would consider Ricknbacker's 6-string set.

#2908363 - 02/09/18 12:58 PM Re: Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups [Re: Mark Schmieder]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
? How's that gtr "capture the Revolver era" ?
I presume yer referencing The Beatles album... but there were no Gretsch gtrs (or drums) used on that record.... idk

It's not like one thing can't resemble another but I find that a particular stretch.
In fact, were one to try to affix anything abt that band, it would be their ability to maintain sounds & feels regardless of the equipent used on any particular recordings.

#2908645 - 02/10/18 10:48 PM Re: Gretsch G5622T with HiLo'Tron pickups [Re: d]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I said "Revolver era", not "Revolver album". The specific songs I had in mind were the 45's from that period, which didn't appear on albums in the UK as The Beatles didn't believe in ripping off their fans.

George used a Gretsch on "Paperback Writer", for instance. But I was also hinting at the other band members' guitar work on those songs, which often were Rickenbackers. I feel this new Gretsch can get really close!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose