Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Ive got K12s and KW 153s Barbetta SONA 32s and my SSv3 sounds much better than dual cabs on Piano.

I did notice when I mixed with IEMs then used SSv3 my low end especially from the SE-02s was in need of adjustments, but mic placement on PianoTeq makes My Upright sound fantastic.

Adding a cheap B1200D made the synths replicate what my iIEMs were producing.

Wonder if this is just a ROMpler issue?

My D-05 Boutique has the most God awful acoustic piano partial but even its sound is dispersed through all speakers and tweeter.

When I first added hardware FX to my PCs Audio Interface I found adding a 20 msec. delay to the dual mono outs (PCM70) made all the difference in the world.

Maybe the APs in question have an effect to avoid cancellation?

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 2 weeks later...

Just figured out how to run my SSv3 and B1200D in series properly.

Always turned down the B1200D because my Baritone Saxes and SE-02 were just to damn powerful.

This seems to throw back more low end onto the 8 Eminence Woofer.

Still sounds okay but I did some surgery by adding Low Pass Filters on my Bari and SE-02 channels.

Then cranked the B1200D to 3/4s SSv3 to 50% with Width @ 75%.

Sounded great.

Doing lots of Bruno Mars Tower Of Power stuff so these adjustments will help for when I do all styles now.

Before I would get speaker farts on the SE-02 and Bari on any SSv3 settings past noon.

Now if it needs to go to 65% the 8 inch Woofer can take it.

I guess running these amps in series steals some gain from the SSv3.

Very happy. Was ready to use old Barbettas or K12s.

This combo is much better if run properly.

Has anyone had any issues with the cables falling out of the back of the SS when mounted on an angled Amp Stand sideways?

Mine fall out regularly - both the stereo ins and the sub out. Not fully, but halfway. They lose the connection and need to be re-plugged. It's about 3 ft from the bass drum so I'm sure this is a factor.

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Has anyone had any issues with the cables falling out of the back of the SS when mounted on an angled Amp Stand sideways?

Mine fall out regularly - both the stereo ins and the sub out. Not fully, but halfway. They lose the connection and need to be re-plugged. It's about 3 ft from the bass drum so I'm sure this is a factor.

Never has this a problem for me ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 2 weeks later...
I decided to purchase the KP500s amplifier since the XL was delayed and wanted a little more power. I confirm that the expender effect on the KP500 is creating a nice sound for AC digital piano, Electro piano or organ instruments. It is a valid alternative to the space station specially for anyone (like me) who is disturbed with the painful need for finding the proper location for the space station sound optimisation. This amp is heavier but not only it is a great looking box and it is so much easier to use for Live performance with very quick set-up and satisfactory keyboard sounds. Just thought someone could be interested with my experience!
Steinway M!70 - Hammond B3 - Nordstqge - Physis piano H1 - Moog Prodigy - Piano Rodes MK2

I decided to purchase the KP500s amplifier since the XL was delayed and wanted a little more power. I confirm that the expender effect on the KP500 is creating a nice sound for AC digital piano, Electro piano or organ instruments. It is a valid alternative to the space station specially for anyone (like me) who is disturbed with the painful need for finding the proper location for the space station sound optimisation. This amp is heavier but not only it is a great looking box and it is so much easier to use for Live performance with very quick set-up and satisfactory keyboard sounds. Just thought someone could be interested with my experience!

+1

Good pick, great amp!

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I was going to get the XL, still might but I truly enjoy the B1200D and SSv3 once I learned about the gain stage tricks.

Not accustomed to 100 seat rooms really and lounges since the Barbetta Sona Days, but using the qik lock WS stands and the stack about 29 inches off the ground I get a fantastic sound and total control by using my 2nd mod wheel as a 10db boost on my DSP Mixers Master Out for extra dynamics.

Before the SSv3 was too harsh for my tastes at settings past 12 oclock.

Id trim the the horns then the cabinet became mid range heavy.

Its those fat ass SE-02s with their big low end growl that forced me to spend time with settings on the sub and the SSv3.

I never figured a 300 Dollar Sub could add so much to the sound.

Let Aspen get the XL situation dialed in, Ill have fun waiting.

I think [url:http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/yx/product/yx10sp/] this one [/url] may be the one for me.

http://yorkville.com/images/products/yx10sp/yx10sp_angle_med.png

Wow, great find. Yorkville quality, modest form factor, reasonable price, etc. Wish I had seen this a few years back!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Yes, and it's similar form to the SSV.3 if you stack it sideways. Wedge it up as far as possible so the top of the sub is your reflecting surface (with a piece of plexiglass etc), or the side speaker can fire up and bounce back off the wall.

I've only spec'd it out ... too many other pots on the stove at the moment.

Here for the gear.

After I got the KP500S I was back into PLAYING instead of experimenting with Subs and extra powered speaker and positioning and so on. KP500S doesn't need a sub, no extra cabling, no extra adjusting, no positioning issues, 4 x stereo mixer included. Just bring it, connect your keys and play. For me it was a relief. Others may have different preferences though.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

• 1 month later...
Without boring you with details, I had a small issue. Even though my Spacestation is now a year out of warranty Aspen took care of me. Best customer care Ive ever had in this business. (The sweet place gives you two years warranty but I would have had to spend a chunk of money paying shipping there and back plus I would have been without it for weeks). I swear, I wish he had other products I could buy/need, just to help support his bizniz.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks, I am looking for a small powered sub for my ssv.3. I play small venues. I am looking at these two powered sub-woofers.

1. Kustom PA PA110-SC 10

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-pa110-sc-10-in-powered-subwoofer The spec says, "Frequency response: 35Hz - 15kHz" Does this mean that all the mid and high will be also played by this sub, which I don't want?

2. KRK 10s 10" https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1258274-REG/krk_10s2_na_10_powered_studio_subwoofer.html

I understand this is a studio powered sub, but I am playing mostly small gigs, and "quiet" music. I just need a little more bottom. Will this work for live performance?

I'd appreciate any inputs.

Thank you.

FWIW, I would actually go the other direction if you're looking to pair another speaker with the SSv3 for fuller sound.

Full disclosure: I've had the SSv3 for 3 years now, and rarely gig it all by its lonesome. I always pair it with another speaker.

But it's not with a subwoofer. I used to want for more bass, and started using a GK Bass amp. That proved unsatisfactory for me. What turned it around was paradoxically pairing it with a Yamaha DXR8.

Especially in small venues (which I believe the SS is best suited for), it adds crisp fidelity and lower octave extension that the SS just doesn't have. So you sort of get the best of all worlds - upper end HF, lower octave support (these days, 8" active PA speakers deliver a surprising amount of bass), and the SS "girth" and spread it is known for. I set the DXR on top of the SS, and try to align the front baffles.

Set all the knobs and settings to taste and it's a relatively inexpensive solution for fuller range, better fidelity sound than the SS can manage on its own.

+1

Good pick, great amp!

+2

I hate to jump in a SS discussion about this, but the KP-500SN just works, I love feeling that bass deep in my bones without having to crank up the volume, and the sound just goes everywhere, 360 stereo, can you hear me over there on stage left? yup, am I too loud stage right? nope.

I see a used one for sale online for $650, great deal.

I still use mine, stock, for every gig. I have experimented with subs and baffling and placement, and in the end it's all extraneous to my original need, which was a small form-factor monitor loud enough to hear onstage and effective enough for small rooms with no FOH if necessary. "Small form-factor" was a huge element in that algorithm, and I still feel that the price-size-sound ratio is maximally beneficial. I was actually looking at the KP500s when I bought the SS3, and chose the latter because I valued the one-foot footprint, more than the slight bump in sound quality. Plus the KP wouldn't have fit under the bed-cover in the little truck I was driving at the time (with the casters I intended to attach), which made it both heavy and inconvenient. I actually still think there's a place for it in my arsenal, but haven't felt the need strong enough to pull the trigger($).

To this day, once every week or two, someone will say, "Whoa, what is that speaker?" I have more than gotten my money back on the SS3 and I do think we can tend to forget that all it was supposed to be was a small stage monitor, not a Unified Theory of Everything.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I still use mine, stock, for every gig. I have experimented with subs and baffling and placement, and in the end it's all extraneous to my original need, which was a small form-factor monitor loud enough to hear onstage and effective enough for small rooms with no FOH if necessary.

MoI, what types of voices are you typically playing? AP? EP? Organ?

Mike

30-50 people, SSv3 only.

100+ SSv3 + 12 Sub w/ 2.1 Bellari RP562 Sonic Tube Exciter

200+ QSC K12s + Barbetta Sona 41

Big Gigs KW153s w/ KW181

Samples SoftSynths DSP & Hardware FX + discrete Audio analog synths.

Analog synths get plenty of balls on an SSv3.

Love to see the XL, but Im getting some RCFs as my 6 month grace period expired last week.

I've been a big contributor / advocate on this thread, but time has gone by.

Things have changed. My bands are using IEMs. I've got a boatload of great amplification. And so on.

That being said, the SSv3 is still my go-to amp in all sorts of modest situations with low expectations. Jam sessions. Auditioning with new bands. Small venues when you're looking for that intimate surround sound.

Ain't nothin' that does what it does to this day. And I still own two.

MoI, what types of voices are you typically playing? AP? EP? Organ?

Yes to all three, in exactly reverse order of frequency, plus some synth lead stuff. Once or twice a month I play some strings for a gig, which along with a nice swirly Rhodes might actually be the best match of sound and amp.

www.joshweinstein.com

FWIW, I would actually go the other direction if you're looking to pair another speaker with the SSv3 for fuller sound.

Full disclosure: I've had the SSv3 for 3 years now, and rarely gig it all by its lonesome. I always pair it with another speaker.

But it's not with a subwoofer. I used to want for more bass, and started using a GK Bass amp. That proved unsatisfactory for me. What turned it around was paradoxically pairing it with a Yamaha DXR8.

Especially in small venues (which I believe the SS is best suited for), it adds crisp fidelity and lower octave extension that the SS just doesn't have. So you sort of get the best of all worlds - upper end HF, lower octave support (these days, 8" active PA speakers deliver a surprising amount of bass), and the SS "girth" and spread it is known for. I set the DXR on top of the SS, and try to align the front baffles.

Set all the knobs and settings to taste and it's a relatively inexpensive solution for fuller range, better fidelity sound than the SS can manage on its own.

Thank you for your input. I positioned the SS front speaker face-down on the floor and paired it with a line-array system (Maui 28). A great match. they together sounded great, but I don't think I will haul around the heavy Maui 28. Now I am looking for a small powered speaker. I stumbled upon the IP300 by Turbosound. 26 pounds and yet 50 Hz to 20 kHz ±3 dB frequency response. How's that possible? I will wait for some reviews on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Played for my neice's wedding two weeks ago. The venue was an open-air barn with seating for around 200. I was set up in the front corner with walls directly behind me.

I accompanied my daughter who sang a couple songs and also played an mp3 for entrance of the wedding party. I played piano and nylon guitar patch for prelude and postlude as well.

This was my first time using the Spacestation with a mixer (small 6 channel Peavey). Wow, what a difference that made in the overall volume. I was quite surprised! I cranked it up but still had room to go louder. Both my daughter's vocal mic and the mp3 sounded great.

My other daughter was in the back of the venue and commented that the sound was loud enough there and more than adequate for the job. Ironically, she made the statement that the "sound was everywhere" and that when the people arrived it didn't seem to make it any less loud. Impressive considering this small box sitting on the floor, angled slightly upwards by leaning it against a wall. Wow.

Load-in for this svelte rig was an X stand, 12 pound MOXF6, mixer, mic/stand and the Spacestation. Impressive capability in a compact package that I'm able to carry by myself in two trips. What an awesome compromise between power, capability, fidelity and weight. Pretty important as I've gotten older.

I purchased this on a whim from a fellow forumite as I had no personal amplification. I thought it would be nice to have. I've used it now for weddings for four neice's as well as a few other times. It's worth its weight in gold.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Load-in for this svelte rig was an X stand, 12 pound MOXF6, mixer, mic/stand and the Spacestation. Impressive capability in a compact package that I'm able to carry by myself in two trips. What an awesome compromise between power, capability, fidelity and weight. Pretty important as I've gotten older.

That's an awesome compact set up. For gigs like that, I've actually reduced it to a ONE trip load in. I put the SS3 in a regular sized rolling suitcase, along with my stool, cables, pedals, etc. I use a backpack case for my keyboard, and carry the stand in my free hand. Voila!

For gigs like that, I've actually reduced it to a ONE trip load in. I put the SS3 in a regular sized rolling suitcase, along with my stool, cables, pedals, etc. I use a backpack case for my keyboard, and carry the stand in my free hand. Voila!

Similar. SS3 in a rolling powered-speaker case, cable bag and stand on top, keyboard in backpack, stool in hand. One trip for almost every gig.

www.joshweinstein.com