Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2906886 - 02/03/18 02:09 PM E C tries on a new suit / me 2
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...

While many know I both respect Clapton & somewhat deplore his lapse of progression, that moment, just discovered, was, uh, well, sumptuous.
Then

Is it only me or does the distance between the vid & audio only enhance the effect....?

GP Island
#2906901 - 02/03/18 03:16 PM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I've always appreciated Eric and I like his softer touch. But, I always appreciated Eric more when he plays with Steve Winwood. Here's a cut of what I'm getting at and their live performances always makes things better for some reason. I think it's the way they play off of each other:

When Steve shows up, it just takes everything up a notch IMHO. cool cool

#2906907 - 02/03/18 03:42 PM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: d

While many know I both respect Clapton & somewhat deplore his lapse of progression.

I know from experience that I can't do what I did when I was younger, Even though I still try every day. I am 75 years old and Clapton is 72, and older persons just do not have the drive at our age to do massive amounts of scales and other forms of practice like we did when we were coming up. And truth be told music becomes boring after a bunch of years doing it. I could long see that Clapton was bored on stage. His work was evidence of that. But if we did not compare him to his Cream days, and only heard him for the first time at this age he is still a very decent player.

I saw him live in his Derek and the Domino's days, well after Cream at the Electric Factory in Philly and he was simply the smoothest most exacting full of fire guitar player. I was an experienced guitarist back then and I was floored by his skill, his tone, his composition, and on and on. But age hits all of us and effects us all at different ages. It comes for all of us, and there is no way of avoiding the aging process, you can help yourself to delay it by diet and exercise, but it comes for us all. Still I respect him for his early works, and his tenacity at keeping at it for so long.

But it is true, like everyone else who ages it comes to a point that they can no longer do what they did before. It simply becomes less important as we grow wisdom. I saw Segovia in his prime on TV, and one time at near the end of his life I saw him on TV and he was simply awful. Knowledgeable but sloppy as can be, he was long past his prime, and age got to him. As magnificent as he was in his youth, and his middle age, it got to him, as it will for all of us..
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2907064 - 02/04/18 07:57 AM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: desertbluesman]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
@dbm.

Yeah, I agree. But, wasn't Les Paul still burnin' it up in his 90's?

#2907137 - 02/04/18 11:51 AM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

While many know I both respect Clapton & somewhat deplore his lapse of progression.

I know from experience that I can't do what I did when I was younger, Even though I still try every day. I am 75 years old and Clapton is 72, and older persons just do not have the drive at our age to do massive amounts of scales and other forms of practice like we did when we were coming up. And truth be told music becomes boring after a bunch of years doing it. I could long see that Clapton was bored on stage. His work was evidence of that. But if we did not compare him to his Cream days, and only heard him for the first time at this age he is still a very decent player.

I saw him live in his Derek and the Domino's days, well after Cream at the Electric Factory in Philly and he was simply the smoothest most exacting full of fire guitar player. I was an experienced guitarist back then and I was floored by his skill, his tone, his composition, and on and on. But age hits all of us and effects us all at different ages. It comes for all of us, and there is no way of avoiding the aging process, you can help yourself to delay it by diet and exercise, but it comes for us all. Still I respect him for his early works, and his tenacity at keeping at it for so long.

But it is true, like everyone else who ages it comes to a point that they can no longer do what they did before. It simply becomes less important as we grow wisdom. I saw Segovia in his prime on TV, and one time at near the end of his life I saw him on TV and he was simply awful. Knowledgeable but sloppy as can be, he was long past his prime, and age got to him. As magnificent as he was in his youth, and his middle age, it got to him, as it will for all of us..

Frankly I have no idea what you really mean.
EC was a great player & is a great player.
That's my opinion.
However his general reputation is based on what even he bases on nothing more then average sub-par playing.
What do you mean, exactly ?

#2907152 - 02/04/18 12:44 PM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
"Eric Clapton
Guitarist
Eric Patrick Clapton, CBE, is an English rock and blues guitarist, singer, and songwriter. He is the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: once as a solo artist and separately as a member of the Yardbirds and of Cream. Clapton has been referred to as one of the most important and influential guitarists of all time. Clapton ranked second in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and fourth in Gibson's "Top 50 Guitarists of All Time". He was also named number five in Time magazine's list of "The 10 Best Electric Guitar Players" in 2009."

@ d, His general reputation is far from sub par IMHO... cool

Edited by Larryz (02/04/18 12:47 PM)

#2907162 - 02/04/18 01:22 PM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: Fred_C]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Fred_C
@dbm. Yeah, I agree. But, wasn't Les Paul still burnin' it up in his 90's?

I saw Les Paul in his 90s, at his weekly Iridium Club gig. It wasn't about speed-tacular shredding, it was about hanging out with somebody who had a great sense of musicality. He complained a bit about his arthritis acting up that night & keeping his hands a bit limited, but I had no problem with anything he did. He was a marvelous musician who warmed hearts that night with his generosity, & played just fine. Nothing super fast, but everything was super musical.

#2907165 - 02/04/18 01:28 PM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
However his general reputation is based on what even he bases on nothing more then average sub-par playing.

No, his general reputation is based on excellent playing. The oft expressed disappointment with him is that he no longer plays at the level he did in the Bluesbreakers, Cream, & Blind Faith.
I would venture to say that, were he still alive, we would have exactly the same disappointment with Jimi Hendrix. Nobody can keep that flame of youthful inspiration going forever.

#2907177 - 02/04/18 02:30 PM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Maybe not only just age and boredom, but him figuring he's already said all he WANTED to musically and figures it's time for some other young "up and comer" to take on the trail blazing.

Many artists, musical or other areas of the entertainment arts, do reach a point where the only "new" thing they can do is subtle but noticeable changes in their familiar repertoire. A slight difference in their "flair" if you will. And what good is "breaking new ground" when your fan base is primarily made up of fans who still love you for what you've always been?
Whitefang

#2907418 - 02/05/18 12:01 PM Re: E C tries on a new suit / me 2 [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

No, his general reputation is based on excellent playing. The oft expressed disappointment with him is that he no longer plays at the level he did in the Bluesbreakers, Cream, & Blind Faith.
I would venture to say that, were he still alive, we would have exactly the same disappointment with Jimi Hendrix. Nobody can keep that flame of youthful inspiration going forever.

I think almost the opposite of most Clapton fans.
While I like some of his work w/Cream, I honestly think much of that band's work was less interesting than what he's done elsewhere.
He himself has pointed out that one of his most lauded performances (live "Crossroads" on Whales Of Fire grin facepalm) features a solo where he got completely turned around on the beat.

Personally I think he plays better now, or at least in recent yrs, than in the olden days.
That said, I do find it disappointing that he seldom branches out beyond what seems to be his comfort zone of bluesrock.
Would that he did some jazz some time.
Look at someone such as Jeff Beck; continuing to explore & also playing, I think, the best in his life.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose