Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2906848 - 02/03/18 12:43 PM yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I hardly know what to say..."a special piece of wood"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QfYqt-oAc

Edited by d (02/03/18 12:43 PM)

GP Island
#2906965 - 02/03/18 08:25 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I think he did a great job doing Elvis on that "special piece of wood" along with all his other voices. Reminded me of Monty Python here and there...I'll bet that his 1st little green amp is worth a pretty penny! Paul was a fun guy with a lot of good memories and stories to tell... cool

#2906986 - 02/03/18 11:21 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Is it just the lighting, or is Bill Black's upright bass painted gold, like some of the Gibson ES-295's of that era?

#2907007 - 02/04/18 04:23 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Mark Schmieder]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Paul was always good at interviews despite the "schmooze" quality that'd creep into his speech. That he still maintains the "legendary" status he has and can still open himself to doing these kind of interviews only proves he's scaled back on the EGO many thought he displayed in earlier times.
Whitefang

#2907065 - 02/04/18 08:01 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

http://www.rocksbackpages.com/public/img/artists/8513.jpg <---@ Mark, I think Bill's bass was gold in color. Hard to find color photos in the days of black and white...Scotty's ES-295 was a gold top... cool

Edited by Larryz (02/04/18 08:19 AM)

#2907119 - 02/04/18 11:22 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Paul was always good at interviews despite the "schmooze" quality that'd creep into his speech. That he still maintains the "legendary" status he has and can still open himself to doing these kind of interviews only proves he's scaled back on the EGO many thought he displayed in earlier times.

Can you explain what you actually mean ?
It's not clear...at least to me.

#2907181 - 02/04/18 02:42 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Maybe cuz it's in English?

In years past, I've always noticed that Paul used a lot of Schmooze in his attitude in interviews. Giving the feeling that he thought he was God's gift to music. That slyly coy little grin and wink and such. In later years, he HAS come down from his high horse and became more amiable and accessible than he was before. And whether or not just to look better publicly, is now more generous in his references to John than he was back in the early '70's.
Whitefang

#2907323 - 02/05/18 07:04 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Well considering that he was denied entrance to the Grammys last year-twice-it may have given him a bit of perspective. I have heard some of those grandiose statements too-they are definitely out there.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2907412 - 02/05/18 11:48 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Maybe cuz it's in English?

Nah, b/c it was unclear. bang

#2907437 - 02/05/18 01:28 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Looking around at Paul McCartney interviews, I ran across this one. I liked it as he talked about the Beatles meeting Elvis. I had read and heard of how they were not impressed nor cared that much about Elvis and were more into Carl Perkins. I was hoping to hear about how Paul wound up with Bill Black's Bass but they didn't go there. Paul did say they all had different memories of their visit. Ringo remembered Elvis never left his chair, they all remembered Elvis meeting them at the door. They were all very impressed with Elvis and he was a great inspiration to them and their music (according to Paul).

Paul also went into his family giving him a hard time for trying to write music when they wanted to watch TV. They told him "Dad, Stop!" even though he was Sir Paul. He has a pretty cool sense of humor in this vid:

cool

Edited by Larryz (02/05/18 01:29 PM)

#2907523 - 02/06/18 05:12 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah, like I said, he got more "down to Earth" in the last 20-25 years or so. Puts the "big picture" more in perspective. And of course, with Conan, anybody he interviews is gonna clown around with him a bit, and although for years many "experts" have always said it was JOHN who was the "witty" one, I'd have to say all FOUR of them were equally witty. wink

And time in a way, is also a good "equalizer". Like now at this end of "Beatlemania", I've gone from GEORGE being my "favorite" Beatle to telling people, when asked which one is my "favorite" to answering, "The one with the haircut." wink
Whitefang

#2907558 - 02/06/18 07:38 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I've never been a big fan of Conan, but in this interview I found him to be pretty cool. George is still my favorite but I still love all 4 of them best...+1 they were all witty. I love the YT interviews as there is so much history on the site, and it's great to get the actual facts from the boys themselves with regard to the many rumors that are out there. It's also fun as in the OP vid, to get to see some of the equipment used with Paul doing the demos! cool

#2907567 - 02/06/18 08:00 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

IIRC from the many Beatle bios, Syruppy Sir Paul got Black's bass either as a personal fan acquisition (& investment ?) or as a gift from Linda Eastman McCartney.

As far as the individual wittiness of The Beatles, some have said Starr was/is the most sly, at least in part b/c of his deadpan manner & the suspicion some had of the certainty of his ability to be as sanrky as he seemed.
One thing's for sure, in the approx 1, 978, 647, 279.7 ft of film of their LET IT BE OVER ALREADY session there's a great clip of them debating their future.
Someone says the best may be yer to come.
Quick as a whiplash & cutting Lennon to 2nd place, Starr says, "Or the worst."

#2907573 - 02/06/18 08:18 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I'll bet Lee Rocker of the Stray Cats (et al) would give his eye teeth for that Bass! Like Scotty's guitar(s), it would be quite the investment, and a big part of rock and roll history! I've seen pictures of Bill Black laying on top of that bass while playing live gigs on stage and I know that he inspired Lee Rocker to do the same showy stuff LOL! thu

Edited by Larryz (02/06/18 08:22 AM)

#2907779 - 02/07/18 04:44 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I've seen old film of others doing that trick. But I think it probably WAS Black who got that ball rolling. thu
Whitefang

#2907828 - 02/07/18 08:54 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

You were right d! Linda purchased and/or acquired the bass from Bill Black's family after he died and gave it to Paul as a birthday present:

cool

Edited by Larryz (02/07/18 08:59 AM)

#2907838 - 02/07/18 09:23 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

BTW & FWIW, when my pal Paulie says EMI had a Mellotron, they actually had, I think, the 2nd 1 in Swingin' Olde London Towne.
Me thinks the 1st was bought by former MBE John Lennon.

FWIW & BTW, when My Pal Paulie speaks of the weather in the 60's always being mild, well, yes,,,somewhat similarly (conversely ?) I think of a time/era whenever I hear a reference to the temperature in the whether report (as in whether to venture outside on a given day).

Finally, did ya notice that while he does a great version of the "Achey Breakey Heart Hotel", he seemed to not quite pull all the way up to pitch on that final note ?

#2907883 - 02/07/18 11:12 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Maybe he could have gone a little higher on that note. But, in the Ronnie interview he said he couldn't play stand up bass? I thought he did a pretty good job of it LOL! Here's the actual ending @ 2:00:

cool

#2907976 - 02/07/18 04:38 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
No! I know that you are Sir Paul and all that, but please DON'T strike the chimes (aka tubular bells) that way. Ouch.
http://groverpro.com/neil-grover-chimes-in

#2908289 - 02/09/18 08:02 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 Maybe he could have gone a little higher on that note. But, in the Ronnie interview he said he couldn't play stand up bass? I thought he did a pretty good job of it LOL! Here's the actual ending @ 2:00:

cool

Clearly he was just jiving (he's not able to play like that having just picked one up), as is his wont & a wont he's, uh, won....
Still I think he was off pitch.
Whether that the deterioration of his or my ears is up for others to stall the halls of Congress & Brittania to decide.

#2908290 - 02/09/18 08:04 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Piktor]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Piktor
No! I know that you are Sir Paul and all that, but please DON'T strike the chimes (aka tubular bells) that way. Ouch.
http://groverpro.com/neil-grover-chimes-in

Can you clarify what you mean ?
Not a challenge but an attempt to learn wider musical technique.
I looked at the site-link but it will take time to fully digest it.... & I do understand that perc instruments are affected somewhat by positional attack.
However, I will say that any instrument that provides a clear physical or visual demarcation of a note's pitch &/or timbre (such as gtr or piano...& maybe struck perc) is of lesser difficulty to play accurately than a wind instrument, which is affected by every aspect of a player's instrument technique, mouth shape & breath pressure.

So ...is there a real diff abt the point one strikes a tubular (not a conical) bell ?

#2908322 - 02/09/18 10:44 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: d
So ...is there a real diff abt the point one strikes a tubular (not a conical) bell ?

Watching my pro percussion pals play, you strike near the top of the bell.

#2908457 - 02/09/18 07:36 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Scott Fraser]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
Yes, you strike at the top edge. Sorry for my over reaction. I taught junior high band for so long that I was having a reflex response. smile

Carry on Sir Paul.

#2908513 - 02/10/18 08:11 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Piktor]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I still remember my grade school and junior high band teacher '59 through '63 era Mr. Tonini. You should be proud Piktor of giving the youth in your local area a good start into the world of music! thu

#2908580 - 02/10/18 02:46 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Considering that Paul was just casually informing how and where they got that sound for the song and NOT giving a tutorial on how to play the chimes, I'd say there's a tempest in a teapot here. wink
Whitefang

#2908764 - 02/11/18 02:01 PM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, there's something to be said for knowing instrument techniques...as well as how bending the rules can be sometimes useful.

In one way that aspect of things was my point in this thread. The Big Mac does have a tendency to be somewhat officious, even smug. When he's suggesting he knows more than he really does, there's' gonna be some rolleyes

#2909194 - 02/13/18 04:53 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I do know of some who would say that Paul's "earned" the right to be smug due to his musical successes and "legend" status.

I say that's all hogwash. That "self esteem" should NEVER be confused with "self-centered". Sure, he can speak eloquently of what was done by certain band members and himself as far as old Beatles recordings go, or his own solo works, but it is right to say this doesn't necessarily make him some kind of all around "expert". But what he says "off the dime" isn't (and shouldn't be) all that important and not anything to obsess about for anyone not personally involved. Life's too short.
Whitefang

#2909254 - 02/13/18 08:33 AM Re: yer worst ideas of Paul McCartney confirmed [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'd say my pal Paulie's most eloquent---like all too many--- when he uses fewest words & sometimes just Python .

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose