Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2906299 - 02/01/18 07:39 AM Sick music-not the good kind
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Went to work this morning and felt both chilly and feverish. They took my temperature-I had a fever. I went to a clinic and they said type A influenza.
That is not good. I`m supposed to be playing live on Saturday, and hoping to do open mic on Sunday. People are telling me don`t do it, stay in bed and rest. But I`ve been trying to do this particular open mic forever. I really want to play on Saturday too-it`s just two songs, not like I`m doing a long set.
I`ll see how I feel in the morning.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

GP Island
#2906304 - 02/01/18 08:03 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I've been down with a bad cold for the last month. I missed playing and some fun times but I'm getting back in the saddle now. I count myself as very lucky it was not the flu as it can be very serious. So, take it seriously Skip, there will always be more open mics and gigs. cool

#2906393 - 02/01/18 12:35 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Went to work this morning and felt both chilly and feverish. They took my temperature-I had a fever. I went to a clinic and they said type A influenza.
That is not good. I`m supposed to be playing live on Saturday, and hoping to do open mic on Sunday. People are telling me don`t do it, stay in bed and rest. But I`ve been trying to do this particular open mic forever. I really want to play on Saturday too-it`s just two songs, not like I`m doing a long set.
I`ll see how I feel in the morning.

I feel you, Skip, it's hard to pass up any gig, especially one you've been waiting to get in on. However . . .

Over here in the U.S., the current batch of flu is killing people, no exaggeration. One guy in his mid-20's died a little while back, after telling his friends, "I'll be fine, it's just the flu". Some folks have been sick for weeks, others, like my wife, are completely down for four or five days. Whatever this is, it's ugly. People are being actively encouraged to stay home from work, if they're sick. In that light . . .

You're not doing yourself a favor if you go out, and come home worse than you were. You'll miss out on more than this weekend if you're sick for a month.

You're not doing your fellow performers a favor if you go out and share your flu with them. Also, given a certain ingrained xenophobia in Japanese culture, you don't want to be the gaijin (yes, I know the word) who gave everyone the flu; there's a reputation you don't want or need.

I'm on your side, believe me, but the flu isn't. Best of luck.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2906411 - 02/01/18 01:21 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Skip, buddy, no matter how hard it may be to follow this advice it's the best [even as I recognize that y'mayn't read anything here for a while].

Don't think of how long y'tried to do this...or any of the other thoughts likely scurrying 'round yer mind.
That or any other type of stress will make things worse---or at least more unpleasant.
Trust me on this, pally, I've been through all the attitudes & all the platitudes & worry + annoyance is the worst combo y'll ever have a gig with.

The 1st thing is to pause & consider the options realistically.
What's the actual goal? What's the best way to gain it?
You might still be able to play this gig & that might be good HOWEVER if you deliver a sub-par perf, does that help ?

If y'can do a reasonably good exhibition of yer talents y'might go for it but you must make sure yer able to do what you want to & not later feel that you undercut yerself by doing a bad job.

&...the....worst...thing...is to hurt yerself in the long run.
Let's leave "John Henry" in the olden daze .

Sometimes it's good to keep the spirit of magic alive but weigh the balance carefully....

#2906417 - 02/01/18 01:39 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

For the rest of you wimps, let's remember that in the early 20th C ("Yo, PA [what's yer name ?], what's the stat ? 1917? 18?") a massive flu epidemic killed off most of the world's (or at least the important world's rolleyes ) populace & abt 500 yrs before that the Bubblionic Plague (spelled the way I meant grin ) whipped their butts badlificently &, somewhere in between, most of the Western Hemisphere got microbed by the Eastern Hemisphere, eventually making our lovely Modern World elegible for existence....so, y'know, IT'S ALL GOOD !

Plus John Lennon cut this vocal while having a nasty....
so what's yer prob, baby ?
THE WORLD'S DEPENDING ON YOU ! idk grin facepalm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWfpESTp6w

#2906470 - 02/01/18 06:50 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I know guys-all good points, especially the prospect of making other people sick. Whatever version I`ve got, it`s not the `flat on my back for a week` strain. I`m up and around today, though part of me feels like I could sleep for a month. I`m going to contact our MC about the transmisson issue-definitely don`t want other people getting sick.
For the performance itself, so far so good. My main concern was my voice-coughing is not good. It`s not a continuous cough, that part should be okay. I think if the MC announces, `...and depite having the flu, our next performer is here and ready to make sounds for you...` well people may not shake my hand, but in Japan you get extra points for showing up no matter what.

#2906499 - 02/01/18 09:59 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I know guys-all good points, especially the prospect of making other people sick. Whatever version I`ve got, it`s not the `flat on my back for a week` strain. I`m up and around today, though part of me feels like I could sleep for a month. I`m going to contact our MC about the transmisson issue-definitely don`t want other people getting sick.
For the performance itself, so far so good. My main concern was my voice-coughing is not good. It`s not a continuous cough, that part should be okay. I think if the MC announces, `...and depite having the flu, our next performer is here and ready to make sounds for you...` well people may not shake my hand, but in Japan you get extra points for showing up no matter what.

Get more betterer, Skip, I'm glad that you're better than you were.

Have a great gig, but don't literally "break a leg"!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2906502 - 02/01/18 10:58 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

d
As an FYI, I check in regularly but, if I don`t feel inclined or qualified to comment on topics of the day, I`ll vanish back into the shadows.
I still have another day to sleep it off-apparently one of my buds was out for two weeks. I just plain can`t afford that, on any level. I`m supposed to check in Sunday to see if they are ready to let me back to work next week.

#2906516 - 02/02/18 03:50 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Well, I hope it all works out well, and you live to POST AGAIN!! LOL

#2906518 - 02/02/18 04:00 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
d
As an FYI, I check in regularly but, if I don`t feel inclined or qualified to comment on topics of the day, I`ll vanish back into the shadows

It's just that we don't want you vanishing entirely. frown
Whitefang

#2906551 - 02/02/18 06:47 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well thanks for that...I don`t THINK that will happen. But if I could see the future my life would be very different. If for some reason I do decide to just stay gone, I can`t promise some kind of big announcement. But for now that seems very unlikely.

#2906558 - 02/02/18 07:35 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Get Well Soon Skip, and keep us posted on how the gig comes out! thu

#2906560 - 02/02/18 07:37 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

d
As an FYI, I check in regularly but, if I don`t feel inclined or qualified to comment on topics of the day, I`ll vanish back into the shadows.
I still have another day to sleep it off-apparently one of my buds was out for two weeks. I just plain can`t afford that, on any level. I`m supposed to check in Sunday to see if they are ready to let me back to work next week.

I just figured you'd be restcuperating.
Glad yer feelin' betterish.

#2906646 - 02/02/18 11:07 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: d]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
With respect to spreading the Flu and other details, following was the message sent from my kids' school nurse to parents:

The flu is a highly contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses and can cause mild to severe illness. A person with influenza can be contagious up to one week after symptoms appear. Children are one of the biggest sources for spreading the flu. To help decrease the spread of regular seasonal flu and novel H1N1 flu:
WHEN TO KEEP A CHILD HOME FROM SCHOOL:
A child with flu-like illness (fever and cough) must stay home from school for at least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever or signs of a fever, without the use of fever-reducing medicine. A fever is defined as a temperature of 100F or higher. If symptoms occur while at school, the student must be picked up as soon as possible to go home. Contact a medical provider with severe symptoms, if the ill person is pregnant or has a chronic medical condition that could make them vulnerable to influenza complications.

Edited by J. Dan (02/02/18 11:09 AM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2906656 - 02/02/18 11:56 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: J. Dan]
The Real MC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
It should be noted that this strain of flu virus is airborne and is easily transmitted simply by being in the same room of a sick person.

Now that you tested positive, your audience will not hold it against you if you stayed home.

#2906664 - 02/02/18 12:45 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: The Real MC]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Aren't all variants on the flu virus(es) airborne to some degree (although, IIRC, it's more likely via direct contact ? idk

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
your audience will not hold it against you if you stayed home.

I suspect Skip was more concerned abt the venue operators but either way....

#2906674 - 02/02/18 01:33 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: d]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: d
Aren't all variants on the flu virus(es) airborne to some degree (although, IIRC, it's more likely via direct contact ? idk

Scientists are still learning more and more about how it spreads. But yes, it is more airborne than previously thought. I don't think that it's specific to this strain, but more that researchers are just discovering that it is more airborne.

CLONK

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2906677 - 02/02/18 02:04 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: J. Dan]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Don't know if any of you were fans of the original CSI tv show, but I recall one graphic illustrating how far tiny flecks of saliva can spray from your mouth when you speak. If you're germaphobic, you might not want to stand within six feet of another human, ever again.

The point being, just talking to people, you have a good chance of exposing them; no one has to shake your hand, hug you, use the same mic, or any of that.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2906745 - 02/03/18 04:01 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
CBS news last night claimed that so far, 58 children died of this latest strain.
I'D be careful....
Whitefang

#2906778 - 02/03/18 07:37 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Don't know if any of you were fans of the original CSI tv show, but I recall one graphic illustrating how far tiny flecks of saliva can spray from your mouth when you speak. If you're germaphobic, you might not want to stand within six feet of another human, ever again.

The point being, just talking to people, you have a good chance of exposing them; no one has to shake your hand, hug you, use the same mic, or any of that.

Remember that TV shows, while informative, are not always directly factual.

On the other hand try this the next time yer in a lavatory.
Stand back from the commode & hold yer hand a few feet over it & flush that sucker.
You'll likely feel the water spray hit yer hand.
What's that mean ?
Well, when you flush a commode any elements in it may spray wherever the clear air range above it is.

Ppl sometimes make a great effort not to sit on a toilet but then ignore the more likely sources of contamination.

Then again, its far too easy to get worried abt this, uh, crap & go too far the other way, as in parents overprotecting their kids from any negative exposure, hence precluding them from natural immunity.

#2906810 - 02/03/18 09:54 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have a friend who is a science professor-what he says about public facilities is enough to curl even my hair-anyway here we go...

UPDATE
Thanks to everyone for the advice and concern. If you know me at all by now, you can probably guess that I`m back from tonight`s gig.
Okay-my energy level was not at its usual peak. But people told me they couldn`t tell I was sick. Moreover, considering that most music for this show is prerecorded, the audience was really behind me with acoustic guitar and vocal. Some of the performers are now at another club for a till-dawn party. I was there last month but, no freakin way was I down for that this time. Anyway the feedback was 100% good, glad I was there. Now I`m going to commune with the mattress and blankets, for as long as possible.

Oh, right-the club owner-plays guitar and keys-complimented the guitar sound. Good stuff.

Edited by skipclone 1 (02/03/18 10:05 AM)

#2906822 - 02/03/18 10:35 AM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Congrats Skip! Glad it all worked out well and you got good positive reviews! Now rest up and get well soon! thu

#2906866 - 02/03/18 01:32 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I guess the only thing next is for you to post the gig, in yer usual manner, & for us to evaluate ... grin

#2906978 - 02/03/18 10:18 PM Re: Sick music-not the good kind [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey all-ya, I did something between fall asleep and fall unconscious.
There were two house photographers this time but, unlike the venue where I did the Christmas set, this place is not set up for video. That is a shame, the sound there is fab. Someone might have shot some footage privately, if anything gets posted I`ll pass it along.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose