Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2906259 - 02/01/18 05:44 AM Bose S1 Pro
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
Did anyone check this out at Winter NAMM? I was thinking two of these might make a nice, compact, and versatile stereo keyboard amplification system:

Bose S1 Pro

Unlike most things introduced at NAMM, these are shipping now.

Edited by davinwv (02/01/18 05:55 AM)

KC Island
#2906271 - 02/01/18 06:21 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: davinwv]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Unless I missed it somewhere, this is the first powered speaker I've seen where the manufacturer does not mention the power of the amplifier at all. No mention of max spl at rated output, no fr curves, nothing really technical. Bose must not be marketing this to pros. I'm happy with my K8s but if I was in the market for a small & light stereo powered speaker setup, I'm pretty sure there are more viable options for $1200.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/spea...roductTabs_tab1

#2906272 - 02/01/18 06:26 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: Reezekeys]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
I did hear a demo of this with acoustic guitar and vocals. I was surprised how much I liked it in that context. I would love to hear 2 as a stereo keyboard application. It is pretty small - perfect for a "street" musician. For applications that require enough volume to compete in a band context - I'm sure there are more powerful options out there. Still...I'd like to check out how it sounds on keys.

#2906274 - 02/01/18 06:27 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: Reezekeys]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
I have a set of RCF-TT08As, but these look interesting because of the orientation options and accompanying automatic EQ/dispersion adjustments via accelerometer.

#2906275 - 02/01/18 06:32 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: davinwv]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Battery powered as well. Bluetooth and quick charge. And shipping now?

What a miracle. Quite rare. thu

#2906324 - 02/01/18 09:37 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: Synthoid]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
News flash - battery powered bluetooth speakers Ė even big ones Ė have been around a while, thought they're usually in the low end of the market. Looks like Bose has come up with some extra tech with the "positioning sensors" and eq/dispersion stuff - though they go into zero detail as to what it is. DSP maybe? BTW the $600 price does not incude the battery. Maybe it sounds great on keys, who knows Ė but, a "miracle", really?

#2906335 - 02/01/18 10:03 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: Reezekeys]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Much as Bose would like to tell you otherwise, they can't repeal the laws of physics with their designs.

No published specs means you have something to hide.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2906341 - 02/01/18 10:26 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: mate stubb]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Much as Bose would like to tell you otherwise, they can't repeal the laws of physics with their designs.

No published specs means you have something to hide.

AMEN Brother! like

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2906345 - 02/01/18 10:32 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: J. Dan]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Bose is like that girl you meet at the bar who's dressed to kill and in your drunken state looks super hot under the dance floor lights and you can't believe she's actually going home with you.

Then you wake up next to her in the morning sober and see her without makeup in the morning sun, and realize she's overweight, bad complexion, and has an Adams apple....

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2906348 - 02/01/18 10:33 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: J. Dan]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: J. Dan

Then you wake up next to her in the morning sober and see her without makeup in the morning sun, and realize she's overweight, bad complexion, and has an Adams apple....

You say that like it's a bad thing.

#2906425 - 02/01/18 02:03 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: davinwv]
Synthoid Offline
10k Club

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
facepalm

#2906434 - 02/01/18 03:05 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: Synthoid]
b3plyr Offline

Here you go:

Bose S1 Tech

#2906445 - 02/01/18 04:37 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: b3plyr]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

max SPL 103 dB? My wife can talk louder than that.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2906451 - 02/01/18 05:15 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: mate stubb]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
That's louder than a jet flyover at 1000 feet.

But not louder than that guitar player noodling at sound check.

#2912793 - 03/03/18 12:04 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: timwat]
dreamer65 Offline

You can use 2 of them as bar-bells, too, no kidding. Any experiences as stereo key monitor system yet?

#2936608 - 07/07/18 06:34 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: dreamer65]
ajstan Offline

Loc: USA
I just picked up a Bose S1 Pro. The battery is now included in the $599 price, although they no longer include the dust cover. Early adopters that bought the S1 before the battery was included can sign up to get a free Bose S1 Pro backpack.

Some initial thoughts vs. the L1 Compact (which I sold about a month ago):
- Form factor and battery will result in me using the S1 more frequently.
- The floor wedge option makes the S1 sound much better as a near field monitor than the L1C. The auto-EQ works well to produce a lively sound - noticeably better than the QSC K8.2 with its floor wedge EQ setting. Of course the K8.2 has its own advantages.
- The two input channels on the S1 with a tonematch switch, onboard bass/treble controls, and reverb will eliminate just about all of the reasons I used the T1 mixer with the L1C.
- By size and number of array speakers alone, the L1C would be expected to be louder and cover a larger area. I was able to use the L1C as a keyboard amp with a band to sufficiently cover a 100 person bar. I need to do some testing, but I get the impression that the S1 would be good up to 50 people or so, but not with a full band.
- Still working on dialing in a decent mono acoustic piano with the S1. All other sounds come across well.

Summary:
S1 Pro Advantages: battery, nearfield sound, positioning options with auto EQ, two inputs with built-in bass/treble and Tonematch settings, Bluetooth connectivity, portability.

L1 Compact Advantages: volume, coverage angle and area, PA use with live band with a reasonable drummer.

#2936653 - 07/07/18 01:05 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: ajstan]
b3plyr Offline

So, here is the obvious question. What can you do with 2 of them? Would that cover a reasonable piano gig?

#2936668 - 07/07/18 03:48 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: b3plyr]
ajstan Offline

Originally Posted By: b3plyr
So, here is the obvious question. What can you do with 2 of them? Would that cover a reasonable piano gig?

In a restaurant, Iíd say yes. In a noisy bar or outdoors, Iím not sure.

#2936721 - 07/08/18 11:29 AM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: ajstan]
Randelph Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: ajstan
I just picked up a Bose S1 Pro. The battery is now included in the $599 price, although they no longer include the dust cover. Early adopters that bought the S1 before the battery was included can sign up to get a free Bose S1 Pro backpack.

Some initial thoughts vs. the L1 Compact (which I sold about a month ago):
- Form factor and battery will result in me using the S1 more frequently.
- The floor wedge option makes the S1 sound much better as a near field monitor than the L1C. The auto-EQ works well to produce a lively sound - noticeably better than the QSC K8.2 with its floor wedge EQ setting. Of course the K8.2 has its own advantages.
- The two input channels on the S1 with a tonematch switch, onboard bass/treble controls, and reverb will eliminate just about all of the reasons I used the T1 mixer with the L1C.
- By size and number of array speakers alone, the L1C would be expected to be louder and cover a larger area. I was able to use the L1C as a keyboard amp with a band to sufficiently cover a 100 person bar. I need to do some testing, but I get the impression that the S1 would be good up to 50 people or so, but not with a full band.
- Still working on dialing in a decent mono acoustic piano with the S1. All other sounds come across well.

Summary:
S1 Pro Advantages: battery, nearfield sound, positioning options with auto EQ, two inputs with built-in bass/treble and Tonematch settings, Bluetooth connectivity, portability.

L1 Compact Advantages: volume, coverage angle and area, PA use with live band with a reasonable drummer.

Ajstan,
Thanks for the comparison review! This is a pretty unique speaker given its battery power, light weight, small onboard mixer and reverb. Those qualities, esp battery power and reverb, make it very desirable for no hassle setup in smaller settings.

This unit was clearly designed for guitar and voice, the first two channels having Tonematch setting for that. For use with a keyboard do you simply turn off TM, or go into the line input on channel 3? Of course if you need to go into channel 3 you no longer have eq controls and many reviewers said it was bassy.

Would be curious to know your thoughts on acoustic piano as you become more familiar with the unit, that being the gold standard. And, across the board comparisons to the QSC K8.2, that being a unit that comes in close to the same price point and would be a strong contender for pa dollars.

I have a lot of experience with the Roland Cube Street EX, a battery powered unit with a solid 4 channel mixer (2 of the channels with 3 band eq and reverb, one of those 2 with guitar amp models and chorus/delay). For $500, its a great unit, decent bass, vocals and guitars sound good to great (for this size/weight), and can almost pull of keys with it (not a problem indoors, outdoors it struggles). However, plug a music playback source into its 1/8th inch jack and it doesnít sound very good. I think the Roland is the closest competitor to the SI Pro. Most reviews give the S1 very high marks for good quality sound.

I also have a qsc k8.2, and of course the Roland doesnít keep up at all for overall sound projection/volume, full bass, etc.

Randy

#2936749 - 07/08/18 02:39 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: Randelph]
ajstan Offline

Thanks for the comments, Randy. Iíll try to answer your questions the best I can. These are just my opinions and it would be reasonable for someone to have a different view.

I use channel 1 or 2 with the Tonematch off for a mono feed from my Nord Stage. Always good to have some sort of EQ available to adjust for speaker placement, especially if youíre on a small stage and pushed against a wall or corner. Otherwise, I donít think itís bassy

Everything but mono APs sound very good through the S1, but I havenít found any single PA-type mono speaker in the price range that does stereo sampled pianos well. I would expect a pair of S1s would do very well as a stereo PA for piano. The K8.2s get a lot louder, but arenít as refined at lower volumes. Likely due to my preference for dome tweeters vs. horns.

K8.2s belong off the floor on poles (I didnít like the QSC floor wedge sound even when using the onboard DSP setting), but the S1 sounds very good on the floor or a pole.

The S1 music playback sounds good too. Iíve only tried the Bluetooth connection, but the sound is pleasant and of course dependent upon the source and speaker placement.

Both the S1 and K8.2 sound turned boxy when pushing higher volumes, again with the K8.2 having a lot more headroom.

For me, it looks like the S1 is in a sweet spot as a monitor and personal PA. The times where I needed the extra volume of the K8.2s meant that things were too loud on stage (which is why I moved to IEMs for monitoring) and the S1 will be sufficient for any potential solo/duo gigs I would have. I did enjoy the K8.2s, even as nearfield monitors, but they were way more power than I needed.

For home use and programming sounds, I just got a pair of the JBL 305p MKII monitors, which are a significant jump in clarity vs. everything else mentioned in this post.

#2937425 - 07/11/18 06:07 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: ajstan]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
"Everything but mono APs sound very good through the S1, but I havenít found any single PA-type mono speaker in the price range that does stereo sampled pianos well."

Yeah, that's the bitch. Ain't nothing in this category for a small acoustic-style gig. You can spend more money for pole-style line arrays. Or go stereo with your K8.2s. But I haven't found the small box that you can do the AP thing and not cringe the whole time.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2937442 - 07/11/18 07:56 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: cphollis]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Been discussed a lot - but at least half the problem is that most AP samples donít collapse well to mono even with the best speakers, so youíre at a disadvantage from the start:

Ajstan, congrats on the JBLs I recently picked up a used pair of their predecessors and they sound great.

#2937451 - 07/11/18 08:30 PM Re: Bose S1 Pro [Re: J. Dan]
ajstan Offline

Thanks, J. Dan. Actually it was your thread that led me to check out the JBLs. Iím hearing details out of my NS3 Iíve never heard before. Great recommendation.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner