Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2906235 - 02/01/18 04:21 AM Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone."
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine
My daughter Gretchen singing B.B. King's classic as the Strand. Pretty awesome if I must say so, considering this is only the second time she has ever sung in public.
https://youtu.be/xcXlcXsuZd8

GP Island
#2906241 - 02/01/18 04:43 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: bbqbob]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Must be a proud papa indeed. She sounds good, but someone should inform the videographer that it's never good to shoot footage during an earthquake. wink

Well done, Gretchen! smile
Whitefang

#2906262 - 02/01/18 05:52 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: bbqbob]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Hey! I saw that on Facebook. Well done. cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2906290 - 02/01/18 07:09 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: whitefang]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Must be a proud papa indeed. She sounds good, but someone should inform the videographer that it's never good to shoot footage during an earthquake. wink

Well done, Gretchen! smile
Whitefang

That would be me. Should have had a tripod but wanted to capture the moment.

#2906295 - 02/01/18 07:30 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: bbqbob]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Give her an Atta Girl for us BBQ! It's hard to get a good sound on a small camera mic when trying to get the whole band on tape but you did a good job too BBQ...and now you will have a good memory on film to call up again! thu

#2906323 - 02/01/18 09:19 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Thanks guys! What's funny about this is while I knew she had good voice I had no idea she could belt if out like that. She's had no confidence in herself and that is why she never put herself out there until now. Her mother and I were actually stunned. I guess it all started when she took group guitar lessons and when they were all sitting in circle playing and singing, the teacher stopped and told her, "Gretchen you have a great set of pipes, the best I've heard in awhile"
He then approached her and said he wanted her to sing in this fund raiser and he had the perfect song and the musicians to back her up. This was the result.
I was amazed at her poise and presentation as well as her voice.
Insofar as the shakey video, I wish I was more prepared. I was trying to watch and hold the device off to the left to get around a tall guy in front of me. OH well...next time!

#2906426 - 02/01/18 02:09 PM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Allow me to insert a tiny speck of reality.
The evidence is that the singer is not w/out talent but not remarkable on the basis of what's offered.
Nor is the musical context/setting.
The gtr solo [2:45~3:20---yes, I actually made myself listen to the entire thing] is , frankly, lame...as, actually, the vocal.
The best musical parts are the percussionists.

Quote:

Where it might best've stayed.

I'm sure that to some I seem a jerk for my comments but I think you need to get a bit of realism abt what is happening.

That simply does not present a compelling performance.
My intent isn't to undercut anyone's confidence but to suggest what one might consider when tryna enter the world of musical performance.

#2906442 - 02/01/18 04:10 PM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Keep giving her your support BBQ! It's always easyier to be a critic than to take the stage! That's the beauty of open mics. Everyone who shows up gives encouragement to the beginners and it's for beginner to pro! I suggest she do a few open mics and gets more exposure! thu

Edited by Larryz (02/02/18 07:29 AM)

#2906521 - 02/02/18 04:06 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I'd say anyone who can do better, post YOUR vid. smirk

Notice, I didn't post one! laugh
Whitefang

#2906550 - 02/02/18 06:38 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: bbqbob]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: bbqbob
My daughter Gretchen singing B.B. King's classic

Very nice vocal work Gretchen.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2906770 - 02/03/18 07:07 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: d]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: d
Allow me to insert a tiny speck of reality.
The evidence is that the singer is not w/out talent but not remarkable on the basis of what's offered.
Nor is the musical context/setting.
The gtr solo [2:45~3:20---yes, I actually made myself listen to the entire thing] is , frankly, lame...as, actually, the vocal.
The best musical parts are the percussionists.

Quote:

Where it might best've stayed.

I'm sure that to some I seem a jerk for my comments but I think you need to get a bit of realism abt what is happening.

That simply does not present a compelling performance.
My intent isn't to undercut anyone's confidence but to suggest what one might consider when tryna enter the world of musical performance.

I suppose there is one in every crowd. Constructive criticism is welcome but I didn't know what to make of your post. I decided to let you comments fester for a day before responding.
The context of this performance is it was at a fund raiser for the Mid Coast Music Academy where Gretchen takes her autistic son for drum lessons. Music has been a godsend for our grandson and has helped him immensely. He is nine and is getting to be a pretty good drummer. Don't worry "d" I won't offend your sensibilities by posting a video of his performance.
Like I stated before, this came about because Gretchen was taking guitar lessons at the academy and the instructor liked her singing. He put her together with a mix of students, one instructor and a professional drummer. Please be aware that they only had a chance to practice a few times before taking the stage. Also be aware that this was the only second time she had sung in public, the first being a number of years ago in front a few dozen people at a recital at another school where she had taken some voice lessons. This was a big deal for her to get up in front of 250 people and put herself out there.
I did not put this video up as an example of a "remarkable" performance nor was I thinking she was the second coming of Aretha Franklin. I just thought she did a great job and there were a theater full of people that seemed to agree with me. Insofar as your comment that this video should have stayed on Facebook, I wasn't aware that this forum was for only polished professionals or those seriously auditioning for the next Crossroads Festival.
I do apologize that you had to make yourself listen to the whole "lame" performance. I will make damn sure I never put up a video of me performing, now THAT would make your skin crawl!

#2906773 - 02/03/18 07:22 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: bbqbob]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Yes, well thanks for not flying off the handle but it might be better if you let ideas contrary to yer own [i]ferment[/i] rather than fester...dig the diff ?
My intention was constructive.
While it doesn't seem positive to you or some others that's what you might get from a general evaluation of that clip.
That simply wasn't an impressive representation of what might actually be a talented singer.
The context is irrelevant.
No need to apologize---no one but myself made me listen to it in it;s entirety.
Although I did pause several times, I did so only to make sure I gave it a fair hearing, which I think I did.

BTW &FWIW, thanks for not tryna make "my skin crawl", enough of the world does that already.

I'm sure yer very proud of your daughter but you need to find better support for her skills than that clip.

#2907327 - 02/05/18 07:28 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
What I heard was, a voice that would be at home with a tighter and more well-rehearsed band. I watched and I heard what could happen next time, not so much what didn`t happen this time. If I thought that way my last gig would have been years ago-but that`s just me.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2907374 - 02/05/18 09:48 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: skipclone 1]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Want something scary let me sing. Likely be hung from the nearest tree. I thought it was pretty good for a pick up performance. Jim

#2907530 - 02/06/18 05:47 AM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: jimmac]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I've raised two daughters. I've heard them "sing" along with the radio on occasion, so believe me, YOURS is ahead of the game! wink
Whitefang

#2907666 - 02/06/18 02:29 PM Re: Check out video of my daughter singing "The Trhill is Gone." [Re: whitefang]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Really nice job!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose