Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2905230 - 01/27/18 07:30 PM OT: More fun at the DBM household
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Fun, fun, fun. our refrigerator quit today. Luckily I have great neighbors next door, and they will not be back in Arizona until February 10th or so. I called them up in Oregon, and asked if I could put my stuff in theirs, and of course they do not mind. Might as well shop for a new stove while we are at it, because to get them in the house I have to remove my sliding door (more fun, fun, fun) and that only has to happen once. Got 18 years out of the fridge and stove, might be time for both anyways.. Are we having fun yet?????? In the mean time, we have a great cooler and a block of ice to keep some of the stuff handy in house..
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2905237 - 01/27/18 09:31 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: desertbluesman]
Happy Birthday Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Sucks to have the expense.

But 18 years is pretty good. And you might find a new unit to be more efficient and have some really helpful features.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2905261 - 01/28/18 03:57 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I addressed this elsewhere, but I'll go along with Danny's new unit having helpful features. It's all up to you DBM. But the only feature I need is refrigeration. wink
Whitefang

#2905276 - 01/28/18 06:35 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Damn, DBM, sounds like you've been hit by Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics! (In simplest terms, Stuff Breaks Down.)

Have to agree with Dannyalcatraz about upgrading. New appliances are more energy efficient, and are likely to have some useful features; avoid the ice maker hook-up, if possible, those things are a huge PITA. In some states, you won't have to pay sales tax if you buy an "Energy Star" appliance; can save you on electric bills in the long run, too. Good luck.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2905310 - 01/28/18 09:37 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Personally, I like having an ice maker, but I’ve found some are better than others. We have 2 refrigerators, both with ice machines. As it happens, the better fridge has better size, replacement rate and so forth...but it gets jammed more often than the one in the lesser fridge.

Also, consider the convenience...

#2905339 - 01/28/18 12:28 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
As I said elsewhere, it's terrible to face a refrigerator problem on any day. Thank goodness for a great neighbor.

#2905356 - 01/28/18 01:18 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: DocPate]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

We are going to buy a new stove, microwave, and refrigerator all at once, all of them are 18 years old.Friday Feb 2 is the schedule for delivery. In the mean time The neighbors are letting us use their fridge, they live literally 25 feet from door to door. They will not be back until the 10th or so.

And we do not want an on board ice maker, we rarely use ice. We would rather have the freezer space, and besides that the wife knows how to fill an ice tray and freeze it. She is the only one who uses ice for anything.

#2905386 - 01/28/18 02:29 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I constantly make ice all summer long. It's no trouble really. But if an ice maker in the appliance isn't too much of a push above your budget, consider it if you like.

Right now, I'm working out a way to take ownership of this house instead of just being a renter. And if it works out, the first appliance to go will be the stove. It's the landlord's and has seen better days. The dishwasher will probably be the next, but no rush. I barely use the one that's here already.
Whitefang

#2905411 - 01/28/18 04:39 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

On the microwave front, consider looking for one that has a convection option as well. It’s a bit like having an air cooker or toaster oven, so it greatly expands your cooking options without taking up additional space.

Our 20 year old microwave will probably be replaced this year, and that’s an option we’re looking at hard.

#2905415 - 01/28/18 04:45 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

As for dishwashers, consider a Bosch. We just replaced ours last year with one- it was a little pricier than other models, but we got a deal on it that made it worthwhile.

Living with it, I can say it’s the quietest dishwasher we’ve ever had. It’s so quiet, it projects a little red light on the floor so you won’t interrupt the cycle to check it.

#2905430 - 01/28/18 07:22 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: DocPate]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: DocPate
As I said elsewhere, it's terrible to face a refrigerator problem on any day. Thank goodness for a great neighbor.

I have had keys to their house for years and years. When they come, I open the house, and when they leave I close it for the season. He has Parkinson's, and is almost incapable of doing anything. They bought here before I did, the only neighbors on the street who have lived on the block longer that we have. We have been best of friends for the whole time we have known each other. The one thing I like to think of myself is having integrity, so that and the conscience my parents gave me, prevent me from taking advantage of my friends and their houses. I have keys to about 7 or 8 houses on the block, so I am the caretaker for all of those. In our community most of the folks come in the fall and leave in the spring, and each home needs a caretaker to keep the property weeded, flush the toilets (the lack of humidity causes the water in them to evaporate quickly) and run water in the sink traps once a month. I do not enter any of those properties for any reason except for care taking duties. Thankfully the wife was more than forthcoming in letting me use the refrigerator. They are always trying to pay me for my service to them in watching over their houses. I try to think of my small efforts as my community service. I do not do it for pay........

#2905453 - 01/28/18 09:59 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: desertbluesman]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sounds like a REAL community.

#2905477 - 01/29/18 04:00 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I've responded elsewhere, so see that one. wink
Whitefang

#2905548 - 01/29/18 08:51 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I feel for you DBM as I sit here in the cold! My heater went out and I've been nursing it along this last week or so. Had a repair guy out this past Friday and tomorrow when the new valve comes in, I'm hoping to get back to normal. I'll just have to fire up the fireplace which I've been doing the last few nights LOL! I hate it when things break down! mad

#2905660 - 01/29/18 02:53 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

As it's 29 degrees currently where I'm typing this now and snowing(again!) I gotta wonder...

Just HOW cold ARE you? grin
Whitefang

#2905697 - 01/29/18 05:51 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I can assure you that I don't sit outside when it's 29 degrees. In the house I'm cold at 62...I like it right at 70... cool

#2905746 - 01/30/18 03:35 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Ever notice(at least in my case) that depending on the outside temperature, the temp in the house doesn't feel like the temp on the thermostat?

So I getcha. Being 11 degress this morning, my setting of 78 really feels like 72 in here. Damned coumadin. mad
Whitefang

#2905795 - 01/30/18 07:53 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Yeah my wife and kids would complain "Dad I'm freezing my ass off in here!" And the temp on the thermostat in the hall would be at 70. My classic answer was "Go outside for awhile!" It's funny but when I go outside to do something and come back in the house, I notice how nice and warm it is inside. I thought it was cold before I went out there...I still tell the wife and kids to go outside for awhile when they complain summer and/or winter LOL! cool

#2905813 - 01/30/18 09:06 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: whitefang]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Ever notice(at least in my case) that depending on the outside temperature, the temp in the house doesn't feel like the temp on the thermostat?

So I getcha. Being 11 degress this morning, my setting of 78 really feels like 72 in here. Damned coumadin. mad
Whitefang

I have a 107 year old house, and while the windows have been replaced, I can still feel the difference throughout the house depending on how extreme the outside temperature.....meaning there is definitely a temperature gradient between the thermostat, a heat source, and an outside wall. My house has radiant heat and most of the valves on the radiators have seized up over the years, so they are stuck and are not adjustable. As a result, when the Thermostat downstairs says 69 and my weather thingy shows 72 indoor, the kitchen is cold and upstairs in the hall is 72 while my daughter's room is probably 78. I can't put the thermostat over maybe 68 or 69 or my daughter's room would be a sauna, yet, the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room and some spots near the doors are very cold.

What I described above is what happens when it's VERY cold outside and the radiators are running full tilt. Once it gets up into the 40s and 50s, everything pretty much equalizes and it's much more consistent throughout the house.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2905814 - 01/30/18 09:13 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: J. Dan]
MP Hall of Fame Member

We used to live in a split-level in Kansas. You’d enter on the ground floor, and then go upstairs or downstairs to get to any of the rooms.

In the winter, my folks keep the upstairs in the low 70s. As you went down the stairs, you could feel the temperature gradually changing.

In the basement, where I lived like a good little troll, it was sometimes cold enough to get ice for,action on my blanket or the carpet.

#2905816 - 01/30/18 09:47 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
For about a hundred bucks or less you can get a 120v electric heater with thermostat and timer controls that will help a lot. I got three of them (about 4 foot long and a foot high) when rebuilding one of my rentals and used one twice when furnace was out to help out the tennets. Just plug it in. Handy if you want to work in unheated space in cold weather.

Also on the DBM deal some utilities will pay a rebate or take away your old fridge. I just replace two and got $100 and they disposed. For our utility they had to be plugged in and run but they did not check very close. Might be worth checking out.

I find Lowes a good place to get fridge and stoves. In stock good selection decent prices.

#2905822 - 01/30/18 10:48 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: jimmac]
MP Hall of Fame Member

As I recall, both Lowe’s and Home Depot offer discounts to veterans and those on active duty.

(Don’t know if it applies to anyone here, but I figured it was useful info, just in case.)

#2905879 - 01/30/18 02:39 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: jimmac]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jimmac

I find Lowe's a good place to get fridge and stoves. In stock good selection decent prices.

We got our washer and dryer there 2 years ago, we went there first, but they did not have the model I wanted in stock, so I just went over the Home Depot to look, and they had more help in that department than Lowe's that day. So I got right up to a sales person and pulled the trigger on the purchase and it will be delivered Thursday from a Monday purchase. I was well satisfied with Lowe's and their service they just were not stocked like Home Depot that day.

#2905880 - 01/30/18 02:42 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
As I recall, both Lowe’s and Home Depot offer discounts to veterans and those on active duty.

That is true. I have a friend who shops there, a lifer, who retired as a colonel in the army. He goes to Lowe's and Home Depot with any of our friends here in the community, and helps them also get that discount.

#2905961 - 01/31/18 03:30 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

There's a lot of places 'round here(and everywhere else I'm assuming) where good deals on those kind of appliances can be found. I guess the biggest selling point might be service.

I've never bought appliances from either Home Depot or Lowe's, usually only going to those places for home repair/replacement products more than anything else. I understand they're both good on prices, but haven't heard any good or bad about service.
Whitefang

#2905968 - 01/31/18 04:35 AM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
DBM- Have you considered moving to an Eskimo village in Alaska, next to a river? wink

Seriously, sorry to read of your major appliance travails there. Here's to better times surely ahead!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2906091 - 01/31/18 12:35 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
DBM- Have you considered moving to an Eskimo village in Alaska, next to a river? wink
Seriously, sorry to read of your major appliance travails there. Here's to better times surely ahead!

Thanks Caev the stuff will be here tomorrow.

As for Alaska. Not a chance Caev, the water do not stay liquid all year long up there, I do not go to places that freeze water.
cheers

#2906386 - 02/01/18 12:09 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The guys who came to deliver/install the refrigerator & stove were magicians. I had 1/4" to spare between my sliding door fully open, and the door jamb on the other side, on the old and new stove and about 3/4" for the old and new refrigerators. They got the two items in without a scratch on either appliance and did not damage the door or door buck any. And the refrigerator is as quiet as a church mouse, unlike the old one which sounded like a dragster about half way down the quarter mile..

#2906387 - 02/01/18 12:15 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: desertbluesman]
MP Hall of Fame Member

WITCHCRAFT!!!!

#2906415 - 02/01/18 01:37 PM Re: OT: More fun at the DBM household [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good witchcraft Dannyalcatraz. The best kind.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose